Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Big Bang Creations - new Yipwan Drum Mug pg 86

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 1,290 replies

C

Great bunch!! can't wait to see some color on them!

S
squid posted on Sun, Nov 2, 2008 1:02 PM

Bowanna is not human. I repeat: Bowana IS NOT HUMAN!!! Holy crap man! That detail is insane, especially in this medium where you encounter little pieces of sand every time you touch the surface. Amazing!

OK gang, I'm bringing this lidded mug down next for the fire. Inspired by the Tolai Duk Duk secret society of New Britain....

O

absolutely fuckin gorgeous squid!

You ROCK Squid! That's a lot of Duk Duk feathers!

B
Babalu posted on Sun, Nov 2, 2008 3:41 PM

Jeeeez Louise!! This guy is sooo over the top Squidly! DANG!!

He looks tall? Make sure you carry the lids down on both of your beauties CAREFULLY!

Dude, I love the subject matter! It's soooo cool seeing 'NEW' ground being broken...your a TRAIL BLAZER!

The bar gets razed constantly around here :) This is so much FUN!

RH

This is some amazing stuff.

Babalu, your Cannibal Bunny mug is one of the coolest things I've ever seen!

Bowana, your girlie mugs are unbelievable.

LLT, very nice first mug.

Squid, I DO NOT believe you attempted those feathers! And kicked ass!!!

http://www.robbhamel.com

Check out my website & receive a 2009
Cadillac Eldorado just for visiting!

You should see what you get if you
buy something!!!

[ Edited by: Robb Hamel 2008-11-03 07:09 ]

H

Yessir! That's a fine lot of mud right there! You guys are rockin' the clay for sure!

V

Squid -

Those feathers/leaves (?) are absolutely breathtaking! An amazing piece - I can't stop looking at it!

Henrik

Wow, yes, the feather detail is amazing.

Every time I visit this thread, it makes me want to go hit the clay to get some more practice in.

B

i concur mr. squid...tight tight tight!

look who's talking about being an inhuman talent!

i am humbled and veeeerry indimidated about coming down to sling mud with u cats!!!

hugs & kisses,

toenail

B
Babalu posted on Thu, Nov 6, 2008 4:17 PM

Just an update...

Thanks for jumping in everyone....we are slowly but surly glaze firing everything. I have been doing a ton of tests and we are starting to see glazes that we like now.

This Cobra Fang #2 just came out of a firing...I may fire him again as there are a couple of spots on him that I'm not as happy with as I could be.

O

Babalu,
Lookin good man, after you refire can we see a picture with better lighting? I can tell those eyes need to be inspected closer, they look real sharp.

OceaOtica, I saw the cobra mug "in the flesh" tonight and it's all kinds of awesome! Got a chance to see the "Babalu Hall of Ceramic Wonders", Rick it was great to see you again! Thinking I might get to see everyone on the 15th, we'll see.

B

Will do Cass...I do think I'm going to fire this guy again though.

Look who stopped by...Mad Dogg Mike!

Mike, that was a fun visit! And thank you so much for the wonderful goodies! Look at this peep hole plug Mike made for me...

and look...Mike has made several of "us" plates too) (I have to fire yours first Kinny) Your the MAN Mike! You and the family have a GREAT time in New York. I hope you can make it over on the 15th.

Ok...Big News!...without any further ado...Buzzy's First Mug.

Bowana also got a few really nice ones out, and one that has to be refired. Dibs on the yellow one :)

G
GROG posted on Thu, Nov 6, 2008 11:01 PM

AWESOME STUFF!!!

G
GROG posted on Thu, Nov 6, 2008 11:01 PM

AWESOME STUFF!!!

B
BigToe posted on Fri, Nov 7, 2008 4:30 PM

OMG those Bowana joints r DISGUSTINGly great!

B
Bowana posted on Fri, Nov 7, 2008 5:24 PM

On 2008-11-02 13:02, squid wrote:
Bowanna is not human. I repeat: Bowana IS NOT HUMAN!!!

That's right! I am in fact subhuman. Nice Duk! Great job on the feathers. Dayam Squid!

Babs, love the Cobra mug! The color combination worked out nicely. Buzzy's did too and has held up well, being that he had to use his time machine to go back to 1969.

Look at those custom plates from MaddogMike! Wow! Whatta guy! It's Christmas at Babalu's!

Thanks BigToe, and thanks again Babalu for sharing the ceramics world with us! :)

Bowie

On 2008-11-07 17:24, Bowana wrote:
Buzzy's did too and has held up well, being that he had to use his time machine to go back to 1969.

Hey Bowana! I made that mug from an old SDTF BZ-2 mold from 1969 that my friend picked up for me recently at an estate sale. The lady he got it from told him her mother had a ceramics shop in Lemon Grove for 40 years, and made all kinds of custom ceramic stuff over the years. I scratched on the "2008" and the "1/1" to differentiate my reissues from the originals that were available at the Chop House from 1969 to 1974.

I went to Babalu's studio today to pick up some clay and borrow some tools so I could do some homework tonight.
I made a pair of these:

I think this one will be a pendant:

and this one will be a pen holder, if the screw on pen holder part fits it right. If not, it's a pendant too.

I put them on simulated lava backgrounds because I like Coco Joe's

I hollowed them out on the backs so they will dry more evenly and hopefully not crack. That's what Babalu taught me.

Thanks for loaning me the tools Babalu! And I regret to inform you that Ringo the Ruiner chewed up your wooden tool. I'm sorry...

Buzzy Out!

Fantastic work everyone! Damn, how much fun are all you guys having? Squid that mug is crazy, I love it... Rick as always just really Soooo Good. I wanna make a mug!

More homework tonight...

I started out with another one of these:

Then I made a Maoritini glass:

It's made from three pieces stuck together

Here it is upside down to appear rightside up:

It will support itself rightside up, but I want it to dry straight so I have it supported upside down overnight.

Buzzy Out!

B

DANG Buzzy! Your on a roll brother! Shakin' not Stired! Let's see the 2 part 'Buzzy Boiler Maker' next!

Ok boys...we have a good start on color choices now, and everything is bisqued...Let's get to it! Xmas gifts - sales? I have a few that appear already spoken for...let's get-r done. Bai is the exception...she will glaze hers when she gets back into town.

C

NICE!

More homework:

I started out tonight with another practice piece. I went and got a few clay tools today and tried them out on this guy:

It's pretty thin and I hope the head doesn't snap off

Then I made another Maoritini glass:

This one has the same figure back to back:

Make room on the drying shelf...

Buzzy Out!

B

With a drink holder like that, Buzz James Buzz will be the envy of all at the next international spy cocktail party! :)

GT

Very Cool! I might have to bid on that martini glass for Dani, When completed, I like the pendent, I have made a couple awhile back: https://tikicentral.com/uploads/1682/48f940d3.jpg
Let me know when that tini glass comes out! Great Work! I got my eye on it for a gift for Dani! Mahalo! Gogo

I still can't get over the duk duk. Wow....!!!!!!!!!!

Today's warm up project was this "lava" textured guy:

Then I made another Maoritini glass:

I used the same tiki as I did on the first one, but this one I did the tiki back to back like the one I did yesterday:

I also worked on this pendant in between the various stages of the martini glass construction

I ran out of time and energy today so these guys will have to wait until tomorrow:

GoTiki: Okay, I'll let you know.thanks.

On 2008-11-11 08:47, Bowana wrote:

With a drink holder like that, Buzz James Buzz will be the envy of all at the next international spy cocktail party! :)

It takes more than being extremely handsome, having some fancy sock holders, and owning a flying carpet to be the envy of all...it will take having that that glass in his hand too!

Even completely naked, Buzz James Buzz still has it ALL!
Buzzy Out!

Rick, we ATE our way through New York City, everything from cannoli to knish, from hot nuts to hot dogs. Had a great time! Picked up some mug inspiration in the Oceania section of the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Bowana, those plates are nothing grand - I just threw 10 minutes worth of glaze on some dollar store plates and fired'em :)

Buzzy, looks like you're going to take the Prolific Clay Artist of the Year Award. You're goin' through the clay like castor oil through a goose (so to speak) Lookin' good!

There are those few who learn from observation. The rest of us need to piss on the electric fence and find out for ourselves.

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2008-11-12 12:52 ]

I finished this pendant...

as well as this one last night:

One of the arms broke off so I glued it back on. I hope it holds. It might be too thin to survive.

On 2008-11-12 12:51, MadDogMike wrote:
You're goin' through the clay like castor oil through a goose (so to speak)

I finally ran out of clay making this today:

It's my inspired version of a bucket mug crossed with one of those bowls with the three tikis holding it up

It matches one of the martini glasses I just made

It's a small sized mug. If I had more clay right now I'd slap out a lava version of it, and then do a wood version of it too. Instead, I'm going to go take a nap.

I'll get more clay tomorrow.
Buzzy Out!

P

Buzz, I love the way you've just hit the ground running and are pumping out all this great ceramic Maoriware. Everything is sweet, but I'm particularly liking those manaia/pekapeka forms, the curves really work beautifully in clay. I will send you some more source material you may like when I get a chance.
The other stuff is just amazing too. I would kill to be able to get together with a bunch of like-minded individuals like you guys and get my clay/wood groove on....I can't even find a pottery class at the local high school here!

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Nov 14, 2008 1:53 PM

"I can't even find a pottery class at the local high school here!"

That sucks! MadMikster just went out and bought a small kiln, read the directions and started making killer stuff in like a few days. There's GOTTA be artists somewhere around you!

MadMikester gets great support from the artists here on TC :)

B

Paipo, I sure wish you were here right now...tomorrows going to be a fun day at the Chop...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=30308&forum=17&start=0&56

If anybody wants to come over and play in clay...tomorrows the day.

Got some good stuff out of the kiln...will post laters..

YAY!

V

If anybody wants to come over and play in clay...tomorrows the day.

...runs out to buy airplane ticket...

B

:) Henrick, I sure wished you would have been here, we had a ton of fun at the Chop yesterday. Here is some of the work that came to life...not all of it is complete yet, but WOW, you can see where this is all going.

From left to right...

Big Toe, Cannibal Sam, Richard, The Jab

Tobonga, Pops, Ravs, Leah

Also, I fired a few mugs...I'll post this Drum Mug one first. I'm really happy with this one. It feels GREAT in the hand. I thought for weeks about how I was going to glaze this guy, and in the end, I choose this thick, rich rust color...it's nice and juicy. The picture really don't show that well enough. This glaze choice gave it a nice old timey look that I was hoping for...Not only that, prior to glazing it, all I could think about is how I wanted to play with a few garnishes on this mug. There is already a lot of line work happening in the mug, I did not want the coloring of the mug to over power the function of the mug. In other words, I wanted the mug, to look good with a drink in it and garnish on top. I wanted to see all of these elements work together instead of against each other.
The garnishes shown are just the first two I have played with on it...

I stilt fired this guy so it is glazed everywhere...no clay body showing through on the bottom of the mug.

I think I need to make some "one off" custom stir sticks for mugs...

Nice work Babs! needs a little work on the lighting, but the garnish work, as per the your other thread under drinks, is great. I love making custom swizzles for photo sets, i often take one of those accoutrements cheapies form the 6 packs and either build directly on it with epoxy putty or make a piece to be glued on and blended off with sculpy. Would love to see what you do with some swizzle.
p.s. looked at the photos again and it is really quite great that you used the orange peel to match some of the swirling design on the drum. Just great

Mad Dog brought up a good point below, epoxies and sculpy are not food safe, i make those for photo set ups and hobby only. Some food safe alternatives for swizzles i have seen are glass and coconut wood, been given a set of both.

[ Edited by: OceaOtica 2008-11-16 15:00 ]

Babalu, some great stuff came out of the Chop 'n Slop, looks like everyone had a great time. I saw your post in the Food & Drink forum, I like where you're going with the garnishes. I tried a ceramic garnish awhile back, but it's just not like the real thing. I was reading the Swizzle Stick thread a few days ago and wondering how you could make your own without a plastic injection molder. Ceramic doesn't seem like an appropriate material, Sculpty isn't food safe but OceaOtica may be on to something with the plastic stick and Sculpty decoration.

Babalu...oooooOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Some lucky sufferin' bastard is gonna cherish this PNG gem! :wink:

Marvel at Babalu's Kundu Drum Mug! :o

Is it Christmas already? :D

Marvel at Babalu's Kundu Drum Mug! :o

Is it Christmas already? :D

my birthday is coming up if anyone was wondering what to get me

B

:) Why thank you for your support Mr. Blacksandz...it's your turn to try a few garnishes out on that guy...Merry Christmas brother!

This guy turned out purdy good after the 2nd firing...I'll have to wait for some better light to get some good shots of him. It gets so bloody dark, so quick these days...

This here bowlie is up next on the ole glaze roster...

Some hand made - One Off - Swizzle Sticks coming soon...

Babs, that bowl is lookin amazing!

Yo Babalu! Thanks for the clay...
Here's what I did with some of it tonight:

My original plan was to make another thin tiki and slap it on the side of a mug. I started by making the tiki. I didn't mold this one, but rather did a combination of smaller scale relief carving and I guess what you would call "sculpting."
Here it is in the very early stages of the shaping process:

It's probably less than half an inch thick.

Here it is after most of the initial shaping is completed:

He's close to 5" tall

Next I tried to make the mug Babalu slab style but the reused clay I was trying to use and my clay working facilities would not produce the results I required. So, instead of waiting until tomorrow when Babalu could bail me out, I cut it into three pieces and slapped them on a cocojoesque lava looking plaque:

A hole in the top of the piece would make it a 9" chest plate pendant.
For now, I just need to let it turn from mud feeling to leather feeling to clean up some of those fine details and rough surfaces and then hollow out the back

I think it definitely needs to be a big old pendant.
Buzzy Out!

Nice lookin' Lapatiki bowl interior!

Way cool thread...

Nice mugarama with Babalu and friends, the drum and Cobra's fang turned out killer!

The tiki/lava plaque is really KEEN BPB! Love those lava plaques.

S
T

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2008-11-19 07:20 ]

B

BUZZY!! BUZZY!! You are soooo on a roll brother! Keep it coming - MORE, MORE!

That is one heck of a Tiki Guy bling, bling...Yes!

Mad Doggie - Dude, your Monkey Mug is out-a-sight!!!

Sneaky - Hey, thanks so much for stopping in to say howdy...Your paintings are so outstanding! I'm honored.

Well, here is a couple of better shots of that Cobra Fang #2 Mug. He is also up on eBay right now for anyone how might be interested in him.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=120336494003

Thanks for looking all...

G
GROG posted on Tue, Nov 18, 2008 10:24 PM

Nice looking mug there Babs. Love the colors. Nice sculpt; nice glazing. You are definitely demonstrating why you are the master and we are your students.

FANGtastic!!! :wink: :drink:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 1290 replies