Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Big Bang Creations - new Yipwan Drum Mug pg 86

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 1,290 replies

You guys are making magic with that stuff. Very cool pieces!

B

Thanks JoneSey, we had a great time with the Bird on his B-day! That little boy is my buddy :)

See ya next week Squidly! More FUN!

Meheadhunter - Thanks for posting up...your stops in keep me motivated at this here studio.

Right on Mango! It has been a total hoot!

Thanks for the kind words Kinny. I think "everyone" has been throwing extra wood on the old Tiki fire lately...the night sky's glow don't they :) Good times, good times...

Maddoggie, stop on by soon so we can shoot the clay bull...

Henrik, we all keep talkin' about how cool it would be if you could stop by...let's just plan on it. We'll do a big ole Clay Jam just for you :)

GROG - Thanks for calling our crap holy...I don't think it's holy, but it is interesting to say the least.

Sir B - I picked up your glazes brother...time to kick it into high gear. Let's phone soon...

Sam - damn, sorry we aren't going to hook up at Oasis this year. Soon, I hope. Lovin' your work man.

Ok, on with stuff... Well, it's been a whole lot of production going on around here lately. I would post pictures of mug making, but it's about as exciting as watching paint dry, so I will spare you all :) I have put a little time into the latest Squidalu Porker - The Bumper version :) I've finished the little bumper car part...it still gets a little "removable" dude, steering wheel and column, bucket seat, etc. that will be made from paper clay. I need to fire this piggy first as it shrinks, then I will build the other parts that don't shrink. As you can see by the butt plug, he runs on rechargeable batteries. Hope he dries ok in fast mode.

Thanks for stopping by...

B

oops - double post?

[ Edited by: Babalu 2009-07-23 23:21 ]

Rick.... how much acid did you drop in the 70's? Is this the first time you have experienced flashbacks or do they occur frequently? :lol: At the risk of looking like "truck-stop art", I think this is just screaming for a chrome grill :wink:

B

:-)

Mike, yup...I agree. It's true that I'm not a huge fan of metallic glazes, and the words "truck stop art" have spewed from my mouth, but in this case, the grill, the rings around the head lights and the tail lights, the rim, and the butt plug all need to have that chrome look. I think the main pig body needs to be painted with a pink metal flake.

Yeeeaaah....Pink Metal Flake would be awesome on this great lil pig!!

I love the little piglet's butt! So cute!

C

Oh wow! you've been very inspired at clay camp! All the mugs are looking great with the glaze, that gigantic drum is amazing! i like the psico piggies too.
And Happy birthday little birdie! what a wonderful place to grow up at, your grandpa is cool as it gets :)

Your work amazes me! So many unique pieces on here.
Love the Yipwan drum mug. Can't wait to see you/them
in person at TO9. Clay Camp rocks!

:tiki: PARADISE LOST...? :tiki:

... I say, " paradise found. " :wink:

B

Why thank you all for the kind words! You all are the BEST!!

Well, we were back at it last night til 1:30 am - CLAY CAMP #2

We missed you Sir B!!

the MAESTROS at work!
classic.

and that drum is lookin TITS!

You guys aren't just having clay jams, it seems to me that you guys are making tiki art history.

...And that drum really is the cat's ass.

If the cat's ass had an ass of its own, that drum would be it. Smooooth!

So what we're saying here is that the drum is TITS and ASS?
I agree! :lol:

Definately TITS!! :lol:

B

It sure feels "GOOD" working around these fellas!!

We have been kicking some ass over here!! I will post just a couple of pictures of Sir B's and Squid's work...I'll let them post up on thier own.

Sir B's Babes -

Sir Squid's Drum -

Of the 30 of these Yipwan Drum Mugs I am doing...I think I have about 23 left to sell at Oasis....Here are a few of the flavors...

I also have one of the Squid - Babalu colabs done -

Thanks for stopping in!

Y'all are killing it over there. Simply the best!

Its been said before... damn scary having all that talent in one place at one time!

Love the Yipwan Drum mugs... stunning!

Hope you sell the whole batch!

B
Babalu posted on Sun, Aug 2, 2009 8:51 AM

Wow, Danny and Lake thank you for jumping on and leaving such nice comments...I'm sure I speak for all the boys when I say we're very honored. Hope to shoot the bull with you two at Oasis.

P

M

[ Edited by poptiki on 2022-10-12 03:38:43 ]

G
GROG posted on Sun, Aug 2, 2009 10:46 AM

Great stuff. You guys are ROCKIN'!!

RD

Excellent thread! I am in awe. Kudos to you all! Way to set the bar sky high!

Wish I had a group to "jam" with. It's usually just me and Terry Gross in a studio with dubious ventilation.

Again, hats off, can't wait to see what's next.

-Joe

B
Bowana posted on Tue, Aug 4, 2009 7:42 PM

Thanks so much, Babalu for opening up your studio and kickin' out the Jams with us!

Now that I've got my Yip mug home and have had a chance to really examine it, I have found that it's quite a fantastic piece of art. The overall design and the engineering involved in the assembly was very skillfully executed.

So how ya gonna top this one, hah?!

Sir B

Masterful pieces here! I love that drum too.....

G
GROG posted on Wed, Aug 5, 2009 12:05 PM

Babalu is "Da Master".

Hear! hear!

Great lookin' art once again Babs, squid.Looks like fun to me! I'm excited to see the goods at oasis and pick up a couple too :)

B

Hey Pops, wished you were here...we could use a few more Colorado folks out here for Oasis.

Thanks Rum Demon. I'm a big fan of your mugs too!

Sir B - Wow buddy, thank you...Great to hear words like that coming from one whom I admire and respect so much. Your the BOMB Sir B!

Sam - Thank you too Sir. It really makes me feel great to know your stopping in every now and again.

Kinny - I think GROG is the Master round here...you seen his latest Pig BoB? Then again, just wait til you see a picture of your piggy that I just pulled out of the kiln... you going to flip brother!

Hey, hey Kelly, Your bowlie is up on the table as I speak sis :) OASIS!!

Ok, I just unloaded a nice firing...it feels like Xmas! I'm only going to be represented at Oasis this year with about 20+ mugs this year... not much stuff, but I think they turned out purdy good. I'll try to take some better pictures tomorrow.

Sneak peeky -

T

WOW!! That creamy inside glaze looks so vintique! Great glaze on the outside, it really shows off the nice detail. I love that xmas feeling too! My wife always says that when we have a firing that finishes late at night and we get to open the kiln up the next morning. Great work!

B
Babalu posted on Sun, Aug 9, 2009 5:41 PM

Thank you Tony! I can't wait to stop by and see this new mug of yours...the packaging is killer!

Well, I posted the below up in Market Place already...
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=33516&forum=12&4

There is a chance...just a chance, that I won't be able to make Oasis. New grandson :)

Anyway, here's what they all look like.

Numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 14 the ghost drum, 20 the moss drum, 25 the sand storm drum, and 28 orangey are all 1 of 1's
Numbers 10, 19, 21, 23, 27, 29, and 30 are all a lighter carmel brown type of color.
Numbers 7, 11, 17 are a dark grayish color (this is one of my favs...)
Numbers 9, 12, 13, 24, 26 have a rich Molasses hue to them.
Numbers 15, 16, 18, 22 have a rich rust type of coloring.

Thanks for looking in :)

[ Edited by: Babalu 2009-08-09 17:55 ]

Yips look incredible!
Can't imagine the hard work it must have taken
to pull those off. Congrats on the new soon
to be grandson. Future clay-jammer? Hope you can make
Oasis too!

On 2009-08-05 12:05, GROG wrote:
Babalu is "Da Master".

Yes he is. Most awesome.

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Aug 10, 2009 7:03 AM

These are even better in person, you folks gotta see 'em up close. Each one looks hand built, which it basically is. Has anybody actually drank from one yet? We'll break 'em in at Oasis.

And why wouldn't you come? You're not pregnant,

SHE IS! -

B

Thank J...man your velvets are looking really fine! Hope I get to meet you at Oasis.

Kelly, your the bomb kiddo...I'm working hard on that there bowlie :)

Cammo, thanks for the comp brother, but don't be an idiot...If my daughter has her baby on Saturday or Sunday, I will be at the hospital to witness the birth of my grandson, and to support her in any way that I can. This is what "any" loving, caring father would do...my family comes before anything else.

Babaluooo!!! :)

[ Edited by: blacksandz 2009-08-10 08:53 ]

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Aug 10, 2009 6:22 PM

My family comes before anything else too....

EXCEPT OASIS!!!!

Just kidding, do you really think she'll give birth on Saturday? That would be kind of cool, you could name the kid Cammo! Hmmm. There already is a Cammo, so you could name him Cammo2!

See ya soon big guy.

Now why would you wanna give the kid a stupid name?
i recommend Beauregard!

Those are awesome pieces there,Rick!
the ghost drum is cooooool!
all white and pasty
like ET at the end of that movie!
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

you and Bowie are going AWF!

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Aug 11, 2009 4:30 AM

"i recommend Beauregard!"

Nah, Cammo2 is WAY better. Now git back to yer Alley.

B

Man, Oasis was a blast! But, Oasis is done...inventory is low...time to throw work back up on the table again...

The glazing on Kelly's Paradise Bowl is almost complete - YAY!

I have this piggie to finish for Master Squid...

Hey, while at Oasis I did a little demo work on this platter - I call this one, "TO-O9, The Gathering" Still not finished...soon. I'm posting this from work and I can't remember which island the original little image (I used and altered) came from right now. I can look it up later if anyone is interested in that kind of thingy...

Brother Bullet, Bay Park Buzzy, and Matt Reese all stopped by to kick it for a few minutes in the shop yesterday. That was fun you guys!

Anyway, some may not know that in my clumsiness I broke the head dress on number #29 a little in packing...so I just decided to keep it around in the shop. But, beings as Bullet stayed past Oasis and made a special trip over to visit the shop....I took out the old 29 right out of the picture and casted a new one....Bullet gets #29. See, you didn't miss out Bullet! Thanks for stopping by :)

Updates soon...

BUM-PER-PIG!
BUM-PER-PIG!

I had forgotten about him. The luster looks great, now time to get all pinked out!

B

On 2009-08-18 16:48, Babalu wrote:

OH, THE HORROR!
THE HORROR!

It was great getting to see the center of the universe. Thanks for having me over. I had a good time shooting the breeze.

B

I did a little one off on that Yipwan Drum Mug. This one has a cast and altered base. The top part of this mug has been hand built from scratch. I still need to smooth him out some when he dries up a bit more. More soon :)

Good night from the Center of the Universe.

S
squid posted on Fri, Aug 21, 2009 1:51 AM

WOW! You cleaned up real good after all them ruiners!

T

cool, looks like bird beaks now.

T

This one is every bit as incredible as the first Yipwan design, which was brilliant! Speaking of which, I still can't stop admiring the one I got from you, Babalu.

Babalu....
I received #19 Yipwan Drum Mug today :)
The detail is incredible
This is a VERY NICE addition to the collection
Thank You So Much....
Great Work!!!

not only did i luck into getting a yipwan drum after all, when i visited rick's booth he gave me the one and only clay jams t-shirt! i'm wearing it here. thanks for the hospitality, rick! it was great seeing the home of clay jams. thanks to buzzy and matt, too, for helping make another memorable tiki oasis trip.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 1290 replies