Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Big Bang Creations - new Yipwan Drum Mug pg 86

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 1,290 replies

B

Here ya go Bullet...a new cast of 29 :) Time to make it purdy.

Pappy Squids...I just cleaned up a little just so as you could come on back down here and ruin a few more thangs :)

Hey teaKs...glad you caught the bird images. I was hoping folks would...

Headhunter and Tobor...thank you gentlemen...it makes me feel great that you two liked your mugs!

Well, Sir B and I are keepin' Clay Jams alive over here...me on an old piece...

and "What is this"....what is Sir B a Ruining??...OMG! - OMG! it's...it's...a WAR PIG!!!! :lol:

more later... :lol: :lol:

S

Serious ruinin' afoot at the Babalu Ranch. I trust you boys are jammin' some Sabbath!!!!!!!!

WAR PIG!

YIPWAN ONE-OFF!

deng boys....
them's mighty fine see-ramiks they-ah!

B

Thanks you two!!!

Well, we were up all last night as this little nipper finally decided to come into the world.

I'm a happy emPa :)

M
mp posted on Thu, Aug 27, 2009 8:57 PM

Congratulations Empa. Beautiful!

Congrats! That's nice quite a collection of granchiddrens you got there Babalu.

Bowana, I didn't think this belonged in the same post as Bab's new grandchild but that's a fine lookin' pig of war!

:music: * The pigs of war don't negotiate
The pigs of war won't capitulate,
Well winners can lose and things can get strained
But whatever you change, you know the pigs remain. * :music:

T

Hey, that's great news! Hope the little one & mama & the rest of the familia are well. Congrats all around!

Congrats, Grampa Babs! Nothing like a tiny new person to make you appreciate the world.
Was great meeting you at Oasis and hope to see you again soonest possible!
XO,
Kiki

Congratulations Babs! Life is beautiful!

On 2009-08-28 02:04, Hiphipahula wrote:
Congratulations Babs! Life is beautiful!

:D DITTO'z! :D

G
GROG posted on Fri, Aug 28, 2009 2:10 AM

Empa Babalu, congratulations on the birth of Babylu.

Congrats, emPA! :)

S
squid posted on Fri, Aug 28, 2009 8:44 AM

WooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

YAY !!!!
BABSpaw!
:)

B

YAY! Finally!
Now show him how to clean up a mug casting!
:)

congrats to the babalu family on the new addition!

B

Wow, thank you folks for all the best wishes! Sorry for the no posts...I've been busy the last couple of days haulin' the bird around to different places so this new little guy has some space to settle in to his new home.

You guys are right...Life is Grand.

Back into the studio soon...

Congratulations! Sorry for the lateness in my post.

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Aug 30, 2009 6:32 AM

'E's a CUTE leetle guy!

Congrats; why not make him a little bunny playpen out of clay?

Super-mega-ultra congrats!

Great bowl/wallhanging/60lb frisbee Babs! Ruin that thing!!!

On 2009-08-24 22:40, Babalu wrote:
and "What is this"....what is Sir B a Ruining??...OMG! - OMG! it's...it's...a WAR PIG!!!! :lol:

Looking good Dave. Is that a handgrenade in your mouth or are you just unhappy to see me? When you finish War Pig you can get started on my TARKUS mug!

C

Congrats to all the happy family!

H

Mozel Tov!

(Sorry i RUINED the congratulatory flow with my stupid Tarkus post. That's what I get for posting w/out reading the most recent item. duh.)

Congrats, Babs!! You're not even 60 and you're a Grandpa twice over, now!!

MR

Congrats!

Babyluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!

HA! Good one, Henry!!

B
Babalu posted on Mon, Sep 7, 2009 9:14 AM

Thank you guys for all the new kiddo best wishes...my little family seems to be growing by leaps and bounds :) I still haven't had to much opportunity to bond with the new little nipper...every time I go over there they tend to pass me the big one to entertain. That's ok, emPa will have his day.

The closing over at the Freaky Boutiki was a ton a fun! The next day, a little Clay Jam just kinda happened over here...how cool is that! Queen Kamehameha, her husband Ray, and Kiki Von Tiki rolled into town. Squid, Sir B, Buzzy, Zaya, Mieko, My wife, and Marty the Lush were all over here. We had every chair around the big table taken up....sweet!

Queen K did a wonderful job altering one of Squidly's piggies! I am bummed that I didn't get a picture of him before she drove off into the sunset with him. Keep him moist Queen K and you will be able to work on him for a long time.

Here's a peek at the happenings...

my pretty bride :down:

Master Squids decided to wack on a one off Yipwan Mug. This guy is a beauty!! Altered Yip base with a hand built top part.

Squid also started this new bowlie here...I've seen his sketches - EPIC!

Kiki Von Tiki mastered this piggie, no problem...this is one truly talented lady here...

MARTY LUSH - OMG!!! Look at this MUG!! Masterful.

A week ago I went to the San Diego Art Museum to see the Oceanic Show...there were a couple of drums there that I just fell in LOVE with...they both have to be mugs! This first one is a late 19th Century PNG drum from the East Sepik Province - latmul people. This mug is a one of a kind - entirely hand built. Someone already has first dibs on this feller, but I may hand build a few more similar to this one if anyone is interested.

This is a one off Yipwan Bowl that I tossed together...I worked this fella quite dry. I hope he makes it.

Here's a nice little group shot :) I'm starting to get enough work together for another firing now...

More soon!

JA-JA-JAMMIN!
Dang!
Marty and kiki really took it to the MAX!
Everyone else....you need no props...
YIPPitty YIP YIP!
Bowls,Mugs,Drums......awesome!
That mug drum you're tackling WAS awesome to see at the Museum,Babs!
Very cool,kids!
great seeing y'alls the night before!
Artist Revolution Engaged!

RH

HELL YEAH! Gettin' together and redefining the state-of-the-already excellent-art.

I missed someting along the line: Mark Riddle sculpts?? Far Outre!!!

I wanna join in.

T

This mug is a one of a kind...but I may hand build a few more similar to this one if anyone is interested.

"If anyone is interested?" What, are you kidding me??? If you're looking to start a list, Babs, please put me at the top of it! And everyone created wonderful pieces, so congrats to all you clay slingers & thanks for sharing the pix.

L
laojia posted on Mon, Sep 7, 2009 8:54 PM

I like so much this Yipwan/png serial, this kind of patern is very beautiful...

J.

And congratulation for the young mother and young gran'Pa!

T

By the way, Mr. Lush, if you're reading this, sure would be great to see a few of your awesome mugs at the Mayflower Club Swap Meet next month...

Thanks Babs and his wonderful wife Amy for hosting us, I had the best time! I learned a lot. and it's harder then carving....lol thank you, babs, amy, Squid and Bowana. kiki von tiki and Mieko! Great to see Matty and Buzz and Christina too!

So for Babs, here is the pig diver still in progress, pictures by iphone....I am working on.....

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2009-09-10 09:38 ]

Thanks Babs and Amy for having all of us over for clay jammin/pig ruinin fun! And to Squid for giving me a pig to ruin! :) I had a great time hanging out with everyone, meeting some new people, and trying my hand at a little clay. And of course watching some true masters at work! My pig was inspired by this recent aquisition:

I see plenty of details in the pics of my pig that need fixing! More work to do before glazing, right?
See you all soonest!
XO, Kiki v.

[ Edited by: Kiki von Tiki 2009-09-08 10:31 ]

[ Edited by: Kiki von Tiki 2009-09-08 17:12 ]

Great work all. Babs, the Bird has grown so much!!! He's a little man now instead of a baby :)

Yipwan....welp....I still would like to have one, these are awesome :) Wow!

C

oh an other busy day at babalu's, cool new piggies and drums!

The jam looked like fun! Keep the sweet art coming, Aloha, Mooney

B

Wow!! Two weeks away from TC...and it looks like you are all still around :) There is some amazing work coming up on everyone's threads! I need to take some time and start going through some posts. I've been swamped hammering down last minute projects for the boss lately.

Some of you may already know this, but I gave my 9 to 5 job a 3 mths notice and now I only have about two more weeks left of this job that I've been at for the last 10 years. I'm going to follow my bliss kids...I'm moving into the studio full time. It's a scary kind of move, but it's one that I'm going to do. There is just too many things circling around in my head that need to come out...time to blaze a few trails! Life is just too damn short not to mix it up every now and again.

LLT - Yes brother! - Revolution ENGAGED!!

Robb - You sir are welcome over anytime...I've got an apt. downstairs where you can post up for a spell...jump on a plane!

Tobor64 - Why thank you! I've got about four orders for remakes on that one drum mug...If you want on the list just let me know. I would be happy to throw one up on the table for you.

Laojia - Thank you for bouncing in. I would love to make a trip back to France...It's stunning over there!

Queen K - You lady are on FIRE!! That Pig of the Deep is coming along fantastically! I'll be happy to fire him for you...let's touch base.

Kiki - Your piggie is perfect! Sorry, it's going to be hard to work any more on her...she dried out and I fired her. She's ready for some glazing now :)

Mad Doggie - I just bounced over to your thread...You Sir are kicking some mondo butt!! Go brother GO!!

Clarita - I'm so happy you come over and visit me from time to time. Your drums are wonderful!

Mooney - Jammin' is right...get ready - 2 more weeks!

Kelly - I'm real sorry you missed out on that Yipwan :( I can do a custom one up for you anytime you like though...I just can't make them look just like those last 33 castings. Hey lady, I still have your bowlie up on the table being glazed. This will most likely end up being my 09 opus. I know it's been on the table forever, but trust me darlin' - it will be sweet when it's done.

Ok, this is going to be an image heavy post...lots to show...

Let's start with this custom Yipwan mug. Sorry, this one is spoken for already.

This PNG Drum mug is also spoken for, but I have a few order for a couple like it. If anyone is interested just let me know. It would be cool to work on them all at once if I could. This is a big mug.

The Bullet Yipwan...

I glazed this bowl to match a client's Yipwan mug. I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but I think it looks great! I going to remember this glaze combo and use it again.

This is a Squidalu Custom Yip Mug. Squid is the MAN! This mug is just plain drop dead GORGEOUS Squidly!!...and it's still avalible if anyone is interested.

Last but not least is a new drum mug that I started at the last Chop...the Chop Drum. I will do the first firing on this one tomorrow.

Thanks for stopping in :) It' feels good to be back on TC again...

Peace -

[ Edited by: Babalu 2009-09-28 00:01 ]

Babalu, congratulations on making the move to the studio full time! I'm sure you'll do just fine, you always have such awesome and creative works.

FAINT!

wow,babs...
you say YOU wanna REVOLUTION?

well, it's here in SoCal....in Babalu's studio!

Too much awesome crap to even begin to absorb fully!
May come back and comment later this week!
wow,bro!

Thanks Babs

Love the tooled and cracked look on this piece, straight from PNG via 100 years in a museum.

EDIT - I'm not sure you should finish the birdman bowl. You were working on it when I first met you, if you finish it then it seems like a chapter of our lives is over :D

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2009-09-28 22:14 ]

B

Really nice colors on those dynamite designs!
You made Kinny faint!! :o

On 2009-09-28 12:56, MadDogMike wrote:
Thanks Babs

EDIT - I'm not sure you should finish the birdman bowl. You were working on it when I first met you, if you finish it then it seems like a chapter of our lives is over :D

Good heavens! What you say! :D

Everytime I peek at this post my jaw drops. So amazing guys.... I need to break open my "Luau PIGGY Bank" Hint..... :) me 1st.

Amazing work Babalu, so cool.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 1290 replies