Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Big Bang Creations - new Yipwan Drum Mug pg 86

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 1,290 replies

B

Clarita - Why thanks for stopping by sis! And thanks for the nice comments. I didn't design this Cobra mug though...not sure who did? It's done off of a old drink "menu" image. I have a feeling that it never really was a mug before now? Anybody know for sure?

Freddie - Going to have to come over there and visit you real soon...I really love your island man.

Jen - Hey thanks! The work you two are putting out these days is just mind blowing!

Thomas - We need to get you over here to play around in the studio too. Thanks brother.

Gator - Yeah, I'm glad your kiddies weren't looking too...it is kind of an R rated thread. Thank you so much for your support, and kind words.

On with stuffs...

Buzzy is a regular over here these days...here is his tonight's progress.

and here is the inside of a bowl that I started working on tonight...much more to go. Tomorrow's another day.

Thanks for looking.

Are you guys doing it again tomorrow night? I had to shop and crap tonight.

On 2008-08-25 22:40, Babalu wrote:

Thomas - We need to get you over here to play around in the studio too. Thanks brother.

yeah man that would be radd, i did a little clay sculpting when i made the mold for the latex shrunken head, id love to try my hand at mug makin'

WOWZA!
You guys are finally opening up a little Genius factory in the San Diego area!
Get over there Bowana!
I do believe Rick has started a DIY One of a kind Mug Renaissance!
Looking forward to the next OC/SoCal session!
Tell Buzzy to save us some clay!
That #2 Fang is the perfect progression....
they just get better and better!
and that new bowl bottom you got going is ACE!
Go Babs Go!

B

LLT - Your right! this little SD studio has been on fire lately :) Don't worry, I will make sure to save plenty of clay for you.

Bowana will be in da house soon! I can already hear the DRUMS!

Well, the studio was plain brimming with activity tonight as I had Buzzy, Billy the Crud, and Tiki Thomas all over slinging mud around....Ahhh, it's so nice to see people wanting to play in clay. They all have done a spectacular job this evening...Buzzy finished one and started another, and BC and Thomas got some great starts going.

Group shot of tonight's happenings

Buzzy's work

Billy the Crud

Tiki Thomas

My bowlie - I finished the bowl part and am now working on the 3 little figures that will be placed around the bowl and hold it suspended.

More to come....tomorrows another day.

Thanks for looking...

Just like the Cobbler's Elves, they creep into the workshop late at night and create all kinds of crazy stuff!

T

The Tiki Thomas Bob, isn't there a print that goes with that? As seen at Oasis.

B

On 2008-08-25 22:40, Babalu wrote:

AAAAHHHHHH! ATTACK OF THE KILLER BUNNYMAN!!

Okay, I'll come over!! Don't send the goon squad after me! Are you guys hanging out every night?

Cool, Bowana in the house! What kind of mug were you going to make? Just wondering... Do you have a sketch you can post?
Nice robot glasses too!

Here's a couple photos I took last night:

Hands of Babalu:

Billy suffers a mug misfortune:

Live action shot featuring Thomas and Billy

My union boss says I need to take the night off tonight. :(

See you all soon!
Buzzy Out!

Those mugs are looking super cool. Your studio looks awesome. I wish I lived closer because I want to come over and play with you guys. That bunny bowl is fricken rad! You SD people keep doing what your doing...this LA dude is pretty jelious.

On 2008-08-27 07:34, teaKEY wrote:

yeah i did a painting of it, so when mug time with babalu came i thought it would be cool to make it an actual mug.

thanks again for having me over babs!

T

On 2008-08-27 10:46, tikithomas08 wrote:

On 2008-08-27 07:34, teaKEY wrote:

yeah i did a painting of it, so when mug time with babalu came i thought it would be cool to make it an actual mug.

Yeah, thats a great looking mug and will go great next to the 2-d artwork

Thanks for your hospitality and direction last night, Babs. I can't wait to do a mug that looks like an adult did it!

JJJEEEEEEEEEEEAAALLOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Aug 28, 2008 5:23 AM

Went over to Babs' place last night, and the Howlin' Bunny Bowl is amazing up close. It's a perfect size, the texture is great, and the idea of detailing the inside out is still freakin' me out, man. I can't imagine what its gonna look like glazed and confused.

Buzzoo's, Billy, Thomas's Drunk Mug and Kennie's are all over the top too, but those Cobra Fang ones are to drool over. He should do a few more; is there an official Cobra Fang drink or is it still kind of mysterious ingredient-wise?

Either this guy is 3 feet tall or that's ONE BIG SNAKE!

G
GROG posted on Thu, Aug 28, 2008 8:52 AM

On 2008-08-27 11:26, Billy the Crud wrote:
I can't wait to do a mug that looks like an adult did it!

Then you may want to get an adult to help you Cruddy.

B

Ahhhhh Grog, that's the best complement I have had in quite some time. I've spent the last 20 years of my life trying to figure out how I could have ever lost that passion, imagination, and open ended creative freedom of a child, and wondering how I can get it back.

Sir B - ohhhh, the Drums, the drums! Nice talking to ya...sounds like a plan.

Spermy & Lee - You guys have to figure out how to make it down...I would love to kick it with you two.

Well, I didn't make it very far on these three little figures last night as my day job seemed to follow me home...

but Cammo, on the other hand, was turning and burning...

On 2008-08-28 08:52, GROG wrote:

On 2008-08-27 11:26, Billy the Crud wrote:
I can't wait to do a mug that looks like an adult did it!

Then you may want to get an adult to help you Cruddy.

I don't know any that will talk to me........

B

Well, I wasn't going to put any work in this evening, but Cammo met me a the door when I got home from the day job today. He stayed just long enough to take a wire and slice apart his new mug start. He then put it back together again in a slightly different way....hummm, a deconstruction....yes, YES! I like it. Now your thinking Cammo...I'm afraid I'm going to have to move Cammo to the head of the class for his bold endeavor here. Way to think out of the box Cammo (god I hate that phrase).

Lapaki Puka #1 - more soon...

T

Wow, love the head mug... this is amazing! It reminds me of a "smoker" ashtray that my wife's grandparents have. It has a metal nose and ear rings as well.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Aug 30, 2008 9:27 AM

The middle one has a carrot between his legs. That's pretty funny.

Wow, Babs, I'm at a loss for words, you're stuff is truly amazing.
We need to have a Lemon Grove Play in the Clay Day!

I'm in the midst of perfecting a drink that may be fitting for your Cobra Fang mug, The Serpent's Kiss.

B

Tony - Hey thanks for jumping in man. I must say this little pinched monkey that I brought from you at Oasis is one of my absolute favorites. It's quick, simple, and extremely expressive...he's full of MANA!

Grog - I added on more carrots just for you. (see below)

Cheeky - HI CHEEKY! It was fun to kick it with you at Oasis! Cheeky makes the best damn VooDoo Kitty you've ever tasted...Can't wait to try the new snake spit one too :) It would be fun to have a big clay day...sounds fun!

Well, what a day in the ole studio...I ran to the store, and to drop the doggie off at the doggie barbers this morning, and when I got back home, Cam was already in the studio hard at work. He put a few hours in, and then off like a flash. His mug just keeps getting better.

Buzzy called and decided to take a sick day today...some kind of Union thing.

Bowana showed up and Wow! what a pleasure it was to hang out with Bowana, and watch him work...He started working with a solid piece of clay which soon started to turn into this really cool tiki...and then, out of the blue, he pops on a couple of pin up girls for handles...Yeeeeah Sir B. Sorry, Cam...get out of that seat...Sir B. sits up front. Hell, Sir B. you can teach the class now :) I can't wait for the next sitting on this beauty...You ROCK Dave; see ya Monday.

I finished the sculpt on this Lapaki Puka Bowl (Lapaki Puka = Rabbit Hole in Hawaiian) I started a new Cobra Fang mug too...more on that one tomorrow.

[ Edited by: Babalu 2008-08-31 08:15 ]

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Aug 31, 2008 6:07 AM

Bowana's mug looks nice, but what are they, pinups for Cancer Chemotherapy? They're BALD! Slap some hair on them goils! (The Rabbits, on the other hand, look very nice.)

Hey, I ain't even started mine yet.

Anyway, I took off cause it was Shark Hunt Day. We went to the Marine Room and swam south to look for the mysterious Leopard Sharks that gather there. Unfortunately, we only saw one shark in the next 2 hours - but saw lots of Garibaldi, lobster, schools of blue fish, kelp and seaweed forests, etc. It was just like the Beatles' song, "In an Octopus's Garden".

Then we warmed up and decide to swim north of where we first started. About ten feet in we hit a school of literally hundreds of Leopard Sharks, all in one tiny area. They swam around us, under our feet, it was scary (they aren't dangerous, but you have to keep telling yerself that) but exciting as heck. Some were BIG, man. We finally came back home and looked at shark info on the internet for the rest of the afternoon. Then I PASSED OUT, I think on the floor.

We took pictures with our new underwater camera, will post them if a few turn out but they're trad 35mm. so I gotta get them developed.

Laytah! Keep it wet boys.

Beautiful work Babalu. This is a wonderful thread, full of crazy inspiration.
I love the Lapa bowl and the hairless chicks mug is really cool. Even if
they eventually get hair it will be tremendous :)

On 2008-08-21 21:35, Cammo wrote:
Oops! I meant slip-cast THIS ONE!!!!!

YOW! Is this to smoke out of, drink from, shift to second gear, or kill with?!

ALL OF THE ABOVE!

How have I missed this thread??

Now I have to spend the whole day reading.. so much for working on the bar today!

B

Wait a minute! Who did you say is on their to an X-Rating? :)

Thanks for letting me come and hang out, Sir Babs. Hasta maƱana.

Sir Bowie

I heard rumor that Bowana was going to score the babe's heads with a comb and plant ChiaPet seeds on them, can you confirm or deny that?

Things are looking good at Babalu's Skool of Klay, but the carving forum is going to be pissed that you're stealing their best talent!

Bowana killer stuff man! cant wait to see it finished, so what if theyre bald, nothing wrong with that, maybe theyre just punk or skin head pinup girls.

and camm, the marine room is one of my favorite dive spots for shore dives in SD, if you swim far enough out from the marine room to the rim of the canyon, then you see some crazy stuff. my good friend rodney lives out there, rodney is a halibut the size of a Volkswagen! but i havent seen him in a while...hope hes ok!

B

Cammo - Your up brother...come work on your mug!

Conga - Hey Conga...Sounds like your doing great up there! Thank you for jumping in man...The "Bird" is the word!

Thomas - I'm going to touch the inside of your mug up some..is that cool?

MadDog - Can't wait to hear about what your making in class! You go man!

Tornhola - Glad you found the thread...keep coming back :)

Wow, great couple of days in the shop...Billy stopped by Sat. and gave mug making another go. Grog you would have been proud..Billy jumped right in a pulled out this wild eye ball mug with a spike thingy through it...Billy, you did a great job.

The Union said it was ok, so Buzzy was back in action today. Sir B and I talked about it, and Buzzy is moving back to the front of the class...look at this chain he carved....and on his 3rd mug even! Buzzy Rocks

I need to say no more...This is why I call Bowana "Sir B" One more good sitting I think he said...

Sorry guys...had to do it...Cobra Fang #3 - sculpt finished. I don't imagine that Kate's going to find this one very cute...I changed the feet Sir B...

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Sep 1, 2008 10:45 PM

Holy CocoaPuffs!

That Babalu studio brings out the best in everybody, it's freakin' supernatural, man:

I love the hair.

The mug that ate the mouse.

"Eye See".

And Buzzy - I've got some gold glaze for the chains, it's like 20 bucks a 1/4 oz. but you can have it for only 60 bucks for 1/64th an oz.

P

rick, you never cease to amaze me. i meet you in person and you seem so calm and soft spoken. then you rock out with this.

i watched you rub a simple stick (what i thought) at oasis and was impressed. this is beyond anything i'd think a person had skill to accomplish. thanks. it's just nice to at least see it. i like you so much i hope we can hang out and make stuff like you do with your neighbors. i know i live far away, but, dude, you need a bob ross show.

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Sep 2, 2008 12:47 AM

Heh, those mugs are kind of like a reptilian version of the Mai Kai Cannibals. Very nice stuff - all of you!

B

Bab's, I Absolutely love that "Rats End" or "I Don't Give a rats Ass" mug. It has to be #1 of all time AFTER 'Sir B's"gotta have Mug, but then thee has been a ton of #1's coming out of your space here recently Including the Absolutely, Totally , All time Best forever "Rabbits Hole" Bowl, I Mean Really HOW can you come up with such earth shattering all time great stuff from a bunch of misfits? I want one of each please?
Shit.
SHit!
SHITT.
Damnit
I'm SERIOUS.
:P

G
GROG posted on Tue, Sep 2, 2008 8:43 AM

Looks like you guys are having fun. Good stuff by all.

DAYAM!
Y'all's goin OFF!
That third rat/fang mug is TOPS!
And Bowana is KILLIN IT!
Awesome!
the Clay movement has BEGUN!

holy crap! sooo many killer mugs!

babalu, yeah man that would be awesome, thanks!

On 2008-09-02 01:54, Benzart wrote:
I want one of each please?
Shit.
SHit!
SHITT.
Damnit
I'm SERIOUS.
:P

I think Benz is totally serious cause I have never seen him so excited!! Top notch stuffs dudes!! I am jelous of your all of your skills and mug party's!!

The mugs are top notch!! The rat/fang is perfect.

This weekend I kept hearing a little voice in my head that was telling me to get muddy (its actually been there since getting back from Oasis). So I broke out the dried clay, smashed it up and currently have it soaking to reconstitute. More to come soon.

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Sep 2, 2008 4:35 PM

Finished the little guy off.

I figured, everybody is always so worried about breaking their mugs, why not just make one that comes pre-crunched?

"Get Smashed".

Hey Babs - do I dry this out slow in a bag or just let it sit on a shelf?

Cam, that mug looks great!

Babs, thanks again for your horsepitality. Had a lot of fun hangin' out. I've got some pics, but my downloader is acting up. I'll get them up in a bit.

TT

Wow! this thread has some of the coolest designs i have seen in a long time!

B

Wow, You guys are great! This is some really terrific feed back :up: ...it just makes one want to go out in the shop and do more and more :)

Just a quickie post tonight...

Cam - Your mug puts the Funk into Funky brother! Bring that smashed guy back and let him dry out here...wrap it up.

Aloha - Wished you were here! You might want to go out and buy another bag of clay...that old reclaimed clay is not the best to work with. Clay is pretty cheap. I would LOVE to see you get your hands muddy...GO ALOHA!

Well, I fooled around a little in the shop after work tonight....I have these old back yard party lights that I am guessing are from the late 50's early 60's which I dearly love, and since I've had them, I've thought that the 3 sided shape with round top would make a great mug. So I took one of the 12 shades I have, and reluctantly, cut one of them up and made a press mold out it. After releasing the roughed in clay shape from the mold...I cleaned the pressed form up some (not done with that yet) and then I took one of the diamond shapes and played around with putting a face on it. I'm sure I will do a few of these new mugs with all faces of some kind, but I'm really liking the diamonds just plain on this "Party Light" mug...Hell, I even really like the triadic color way (red, yellow, blue) of the plastic shade. It would be fun to see what LLT could do with one of these (hint).

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Sep 3, 2008 2:22 AM

Babs - do just one face on each side; alternate top, bottom, & middle. That way each face can be a different primary color. Keep it primary, man.

Hey, I wanna do another mug! "Get Smashed" was fun - but I wanna do one that goes WAY OUT THERE in KooKooLand.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Sep 3, 2008 5:01 AM

Wow, these mugs are awesome. Love this thread, so great seeing all these great artists art in one thread together like this too. Makes me want to have a go! :D

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Sep 3, 2008 3:41 PM

Hey, here's the Cobra's Fang drink, cribbed from another thread here on TC.

Don the Beachcomber's book says a Cobra's Fang is:

0.5 oz lime juice
0.5 oz Falernum
0.5 oz orange juice
0.25 oz Fassionola
0.5 Jamaica Dark rum
0.5 Lemon Hart Demerara 151 Rum
1 dash Angostura bitter
1 dash grenadine
1 dash selected herbs

The book suggests Myers's Original dark rum as a substitute for the Jamaica dark rum, I suggest Pat O'Brians Hurricane mix or a Passion fruit syrup/lime juice mixture as substitutes for Fassionola if you can not find it.

"Selected Herbs" is up for debate, as well as how you actually mix this sucker. Shake and serve with lots of ice? Float the 151 or not? Dash that stuff when?

Also, this Fang just ain't that big. It only adds up to a few oz's, seems like they left something or other out; the Fang mug seems LARGE. Is it all ice?...

LT

On 2008-09-03 15:41, Cammo wrote:

Also, this Fang just ain't that big. It only adds up to a few oz's, seems like they left something or other out; the Fang mug seems LARGE. Is it all ice?...

Maybe the extra room is for the mouse?? :drink:

Cammo, your "Smashed" mug reminds me of the movie "The World According to Garp". Robin Williams buys a house that a plane just crashed into, says it's "pre-disastered" :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 1290 replies