Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Big Bang Creations - new Yipwan Drum Mug pg 86

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 1,290 replies

Do the Marlboro Lights come free with purchase?

Bowana and his obsession with teeny detail does rub off!
in a very good way!

As soon as it's glazed and fired
can we come over for a Pool Party?
:)

B

On 2009-02-24 07:37, Babalu wrote:
I can tell I'm going to be getting all Dave on this one already...He brings this out in me - THANKS DAVE!

You're welcome, Sir Babs.
That's a mighty fine piece.
You have 1 hour to finish it.

No posts here in a while, but plenty of action going on at Babalu's lately. As soon as he finishes glazing one of his big bowl/shield/wall hanging things, he will fire up the kiln for a glaze firing. Here he was yesterday, working away on it:

Almost done he was, but he didn't finish it last night.
that meant there was more time for me to go back and slap out a few more pieces before the kiln lid comes down. Here's what I got done over there the last two days for tomorrow's firing:

Here are the pieces Babalu's been working on recently:

They are all quite sizable

I've seen him in this position,:

On this piece...

for a long, long time now.

After he is done with it this evening, he will still have this:

and this:

to look forward to doing too!

Lots of fun indeed! Everyone should try it
So when's that next bisque firing?
Buzzy Out!

RH

The shield bowl is kickin'. A tiki bar outta snag it. Love the colors.

I also like all the Maori style going on, I'll have to do some of that.

B

Buzzy thanks for posting all those pictures, and Robb, thanks for the kind words buddy.

Well, I only have time tonight for a quick drive by posting of the results of this latest glaze firing. Sorry about all the poor quality shots boys...you should really re-shoot this stuff.

Tonga, here we come!

The Jab busts out his first mug...damn nice!

Eric October also smacks a home run with his first mug...Goooo Eric! Dude, you forgot to glaze the inside of this mug...you want me to glaze and re-fire?

Buzzy...Buzzy is planning to ships his goods over to China and sell it there.

Cammo, I think this one could be my favorite of yours. Great Mug!

Dave goes all Dave on us again...this stuff is tiny.

Me = big wall hanging platter...

Thanks for looking...more to come real soon.

Great stuff all around, congrats to those that made their first! Babs, that platter is phenomenal!

On 2009-03-04 22:37, OceaOtica wrote:
Babs, that platter is phenomenal!

X2 on that!!! Great glaze choices, the border looks like wrapped rope!
Home run, Rick!

YIKES!
IT"S ALLLLLLLLL GOOD!
actually GREAT!
tobungas'a first one is a HIT
and that PNG platter must be stunning in person!
and Bowana made a Sea monkey head,i see!
MAN! too much too awesome!

JT

SWEet!!!
Digging all the colors that came out of that batch.
Thank You Babalu!

• johnny b.
L

That platter is killer!

I also love the surfer girls...and the smashed mug.

Great work guys!

B
Bowana posted on Thu, Mar 5, 2009 7:55 PM

Lotsa great stuff in that load!
I like the contrast on the platter a lot. Good job, Babalu!
Thanks again for firing. I'll come pick up my crap this weekend.

Bo

What a pile! Treasure pile that is. Nice mug from The Virgin Jab, love Eric's little grass shack (brilliant idea), great glaze color on Buzzy's double headed flamingo. The deconstructed mug gives us a little insight into Cammo's deconstructed mind :) The cowrie platter is crazy cool and we bow at the feet of Bowana, the master of microsculpt.

PS Buzzy, what is the yellow, double ended, draw-knife looking thing?

B
Babalu posted on Sat, Mar 7, 2009 8:24 AM

Thanks Cass! I'm still a maybe for tonight.

Wheeler, it's cool that your seeing the edges as being wrapped rope and or thatch kind of stuff...I wasn't sure if others were getting that.

LLT - It is kind of hard to view the perspective this here platter in those last pictures. I took a few more below of it on a wall setting :)

I think your mug looks great Johnny!

Sir B, thanks....That manta ray of yours really glazed out well. when you see it I think your going to be happy. The black used on it looks just like real manta skin might. Cool!

Mad Dog - YAY!!!!!!

A simple museum hook and some 40 lb test wire wrapped twice is more than enough to hang this platter up on a wall.

On 2009-03-07 08:24, Babalu wrote:

simply... ** * elegant* **

AGREED!
Awesome!
and the wall colors you recently painted look smashing!

So Babs, the platter is a keeper, or are you just test-hanging it?

V

Babalu - the platter is AMAZING! Absolutely beautiful on the wall. Either you gotta keep it, or you gotta make another one as a keeper. I do feel bad for that little museum hook holding it up, though! :)

Henrik

B

man what talent comming out of that garage!!!
that platter came out killer
i wonder haw many hot dogs it will hold

On 2009-03-07 06:35, MadDogMike wrote:

PS Buzzy, what is the yellow, double ended, draw-knife looking thing?

It's from Easter Island:

Buzzy Out!

Wait, you Buzzed out with answering the question! :lol: "What is it?" not "Where is it from?" Is the original strictly ornamental or does it have a function?

On 2009-03-08 21:13, MadDogMike wrote:
Wait, you Buzzed out with answering the question! :lol: "What is it?" not "Where is it from?" Is the original strictly ornamental or does it have a function?

Who cares? It's all about the rum and mugs here anyway...

Boring stuff ahead warning!!!!!!

I found this on the first site that came up on google for rei miro

Wooden gorget (Rei Miro)

From Easter Island (Rapa Nui), Polynesia
Probably first half 19th century AD

This type of crescent-shaped breast ornament, or gorget, was called a rei miro by the inhabitants of Easter Island who made them. They were mostly made of wood. [there are] two perforations near the centre of the upper edge to take a neck cord. Unusually it has a line of incised rongorongo glyphs, a form of script thought to be an aide-memoire for the user rather than a form of communication. Typically, the ends of the ornament are carved as bearded male heads, reminiscent of western images of 'the man in the moon'.

Such pendants were worn by men as emblems of high rank. The ariki mau, or paramount chief wore a distinctive costume which consisted of a barkcloth cloak stained yellow with turmeric, a feather headdress, and wooden ornaments including rei miro. Smaller examples were worn by women.

John Linton Palmer, the surgeon of HMS Topaze (the ship responsible for collecting the statue of Hoa Hakananai'a in The British Museum) wrote in 1868 that men wore rei miro at dances.

S.R. Fischer, Rongorongo: the Easter Island (Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1997)

A. Metraux, Ethnology of Easter Island (Honolulu, Bernice P. Bishop Museum, Bulletin 160, reprinted 1971)

After conducting exhaustive research, I conclude that it just hangs around the neck.
Buzzy Out!

T

Just to clarify, I did not design the mug which Babalu posted here on page 46.

I didn't mind when the new TC user signed up as Jab Tiki, but I am The Jab! :)
(and have been since 1981)
Can I get a witness?

[ Edited by: thejab 2009-03-09 11:36 ]

That's what I wanted, a little history! Cool, thanks Buzzy :lol:

B
Babalu posted on Mon, Mar 9, 2009 9:03 PM

JonesEy - it's so good to have you back from that iceberg you were traversing around on. Hey, I just got my copy of the book today :) Thanks again for your part in giving an clay dude a hand up brother....your "the" Man in Babalu's book!

There has been so much "damn fine" new work coming out of my studio lately; by so many different artists! I'm sure much of this work just missed deadline dates in order to have made it for consideration into this book....Ladies and Gentlemen,,,here's to the next book! There's always time for another mug book...let's start slinging some clay :)

LLT - The Tonga Show! You should make a some type of bowl...really! I can see some of you paintings in my mind done on the inside of a bowl...it's a marvelous thing to see.

Hey Wheeler, it's all - Always for sale. I'm taking this platter to the Tonga Hut Show on April 11th where it will have a cut rate, bargain, priced to move tag on it. Or, if it don't sell, yeah...that's a great wall for it.

Henrik - :lol: .....that hook there is suppose to hold a 100 lbs. I went ahead and sunk another museum hook in there right beside that other one just to be safe. Man, I need to fly over there to Hawaii and rub your sleeve just for good luck...VanTiki ROCKS!

Buzzard - Next Chop..if it don't sell it...we'll just have to see how many dogs one can fit on that platter there.

Buzzy - Mike...I thought it was for carving bananas, or cutting throats...I wasn't sure??

2 Jabs?...heh? Okay, I guess two Jabs is better than one. Man, I need another me too.

Studio news: Lot's of traveling coming up in the next few weekends, I'm going to get to kick it with Amy in New Orleans this weekend, and London the weekend before the show for the other job....I'm rushing around a bit in the studio...Unfortunately, I "rush" fired that red clay platter I showed you a while back, and lost it in the 1st firing. Yup it sucks, I should have candled the firing longer...heh...oh well. shit...That was a quick sketch one anyway to test that sculpture clay. I will feel a little more butt hurt if this one below don't make it...I've put more time into this one than that red clay one...I really hope there is no air trapped in those fishies anywhere. we'll see...Never be afraid to fail boys. You never get to that next personal level unless your ready to be kicked around a smidgen in the climb.

Gawd, I hate putting pictures of my own mug in my posts...it's Sir B's fault!

Thanks for the visit....BE COOL!....Go to the TONGA April 11th !!!!!

[ Edited by: Babalu 2009-03-09 21:12 ]

C

Come On Babs! Can't you make something a little fancy? I
had an extra cocktail tonight and that last one just makes me laugh.

B
Babalu posted on Mon, Mar 9, 2009 9:47 PM

:lol: Yeah, me too Conga... hey man, I gotta get some stuffs going in in the carving area too :lol:

Giant stone Aztec calender ain't got nuthin on da Kona plaque!
way stellar,Sai-Baba!
Beautiful pic in the mug book,by the way!
Congrats!

i wuz just thinkin about a bowl...
when you jammin next?

Bababaluba, that platter is the stuff that legends are made of! Are you going to glaze it with a blue/green ocean palette?

Please extend my condolences to the family of the red platter :(

PS - "Big Bang" is what you will hear if Henrik is right about that museum hook :lol:

WOW....that kona platter is amazing...my god.

:o Bab'z... da mondo platters are outta sight braddah! :o

S
squid posted on Mon, Mar 16, 2009 1:16 AM

CRAAAAAAAAAAZY PLATTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEEEOW!

Happy Birthday Babalu!

Buzzy Out!

WhooooHoooooo! Happy B'day bro! But you still haven't caught up with me yet :lol:

C

Feliz CumpleaƱos Babaluba!!

B

Thanks all you guys! :) I've had a great Birthday!...I will remember this big 3-0 for along time to come.

I thought I would throw you a sneaky peaky at the happenings over here...as you can see the 4th Trophy Head in the line is not quite finished.

It's funny how the neighbors don't bug me about the grass being long anymore.

B

Those decapitated trophy heads are sweet!
(as decapitated trophy heads go)

Happy birthday you scary, scary man!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Mar 23, 2009 11:00 PM

Those are either morbidly awesome, or awesomely morbid. Actually, GROG think they're both. Fine Babalu craftsmanship. Looking forward to seeing them finished up and in color.

Happy birthday from one old fart to another.

JT

Happy Birthday Babalu!!
....Digging the creepy trophy heads.

SOOO COOL BABS!

H

Happy Birthday Babaloo, your work is incredible.

Great work, Babalu! I really dig each of their expressions. Very fine details. Looking forward to seeing these glazed.

spectacular!

AWESOME! AWESOME! AWESOME!
You need to do a self-portrait trophy head mug!
or not....

remind me never to complain about the grass
at the next Clayjam!
:lol:

Oh! Happy Birthday too!
:lol:

R

Wow Babz! :o

Those look freakin epic - love'em!

Ooh also Happeh Birfday!
:D

Oooh, ick! Those are fabulously freaky! Happy Birthday!!!! Hope to meet up with you soonish.

Wow! Those are neat.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 1290 replies