Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Big Bang Creations - new Yipwan Drum Mug pg 86

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 1,290 replies

C

There is so much magic going on here that i don't know where to start!
so first congrats to the new guest artists on their mugs, a lot of very different personalitys, all very creative!
Then i liked very much the maoritini! very cool!
and the drum mug it's so rich, it looks like chocolate, I want to bite it! Really great desing!
And the cobra fang that has a lot of character, i like it very much!

B

Why thank you Grog, but really, I think YOUR the man! :)

Mr Sands...YAY!

Clarita, We are still waiting for you to book a flight and come see us....thank you for the kind words of encouragement.

I started a little on this "Bird Drum" mug at the last Chop, and picked it back up yesterday to finish the sculpting part of it. This mug is "majorly" influenced by one of my favorite PNG drums! This post is a little image heavy (sorry), but there is so much to look at in the round on this sculpt. I like this one...lot's of little faces hidden in this guy. I hope it dries - fires ok. I also posted an image of this mug, and the museum drum upside down...look at all the cool images that come to light on that museum drum when you look at it upside down...Lordy! I just love, love it.

Bab, since you've got the killer double threat skills in wood & clay, you need to carve a matching wooden drum. You could drink from your mug and beat your drum until the neighbors call the cops :lol:

:music: "I don't want to work, I just want to bang on my drum all day" :music:

Babs, you are really setting a high water mark here, so absolutely beautiful. I hope you will underglaze paint this one.

Babalu, my mind is officially blown. So many rich details in the drum. Looks like it would be a bitch to cast, but
damn, I wish you would consider it!

C

oh, i had to come back and say WOW! That's an amazing amazing mug!!

[ Edited by: Clarita 2008-11-24 17:42 ]

:o Bird is the word!!! :o

Impressive, brah!

GT

That turned out Awesome! Great Job!

That is such a great mug! Too bizarre to think these Melanesians influenced an American to create such a detailed tribute...

Superb craftsmanship!

S
T

B

Nice one, Sir Babs.
You're getting really good at these!

Love the lizard/toad/bird thingy on the front. It looks like he's stuck on the front grill and going for a ride thru Tikiville!

H

Sweet mother of mud!!! That is awesome!

C

Hey Babalu have you seen these?
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=29691&forum=18
How about a collaboration mug? sorry i couldn't help imagining this last mug of your with something like this....... I leave it to your imagination........ Muahaha.......

Clarita, I have to agree - clay and macrame would be a great combination! I had planned a jute wrapped handle on my boar mug but ended up cutting the handle off. Brown nylon twine would be cool because it would be dishwasher safe. But Babalu was able to make clay rope and texture it to look just like the real thing, complete with knots - now that's talent!

S

On 2008-11-06 22:17, Babalu wrote:

and look...Mike has made several of "us" plates too) (I have to fire yours first Kinny) Your the MAN Mike! You and the family have a GREAT time in New York. I hope you can make it over on the 15th.

Mad Dog! Kinny brought me the squid plate at Damon's. THANK YOU! This totally rocks! I have Grog's and will deliver at the Tonga Hut. :)

Holy Baloney!
it's wonderful seeing it started at the Chop and then to see it all finished and ready for some firings...
Awesome Detail!
Lizards/birds/all slapped into some Babalu/PNG mixer!
These just keep gettin better and better!
you NEED to do a whole series of these!

B

You guys...thanks so much for all the great feed back. It really makes me want to go out in the studio and work more, MORE!

Well, we had a really nice firing yesterday...lot's of images...I don't have Photoshop here at my house to make these look better...sorry.

Buzzy came by and snatch up his over the top, really cool mug before I could phtograph it...Buzzy post pics!

First up, we have Buzzards 1st mug...Damn fine work Buzzard!

Next up - Billy the Crud...Just lookie there Billy! You did it! That eye ball image is also tattooed on Billy somewhere...

Next, A little collaboration 3 sided mug between myself and Kinny...Those colors are killa LLT...way to glaze brother!

And yes, We don't want to forget Sir B...After firing this fella 3 times, he has come out perfect. Your skills are in the super sonic realm Bowana!

And Finally, this Lapaki Puka (or Rabbit Hole) Bowl turned out quite nice I think...I'm very happy with it, and my color choices. Special thanks to teaKey for sending me that image out of his Oceanic Book by Myers for the center of the bowl design insperation on this one.

Thanks for looking...Keep Hand Building!!

It's my second mug finished, but it's still the first mug that I have made.

My first mug:

Thanks Babalu!

Buzzy Out!

B

I get SO Overwhelmed when I visit your thread Babs, the creativity flowing from your shop is truly Amazing. What you freely coax from other artists is mind blowing. WHO Else could get Buzz to start incredible Mugs and other sculpts. And Bowana and BillyTC,Big Toe, Cannibal Sam, Richard, The Jab,Cammo and Even SQUID. Then you add the GROG and that Kinny guy (happyhappyhappy) and yet you STILL keep firing your own stuff too. I know there are Others who have walked into your shop and then walked out with Awesome art they created for the first time I can't remember everyone there are so many. I'm Envious, I wish I were closer but then you'd have to sweep me oput every day with the clay crumbs on the floor!
Your Rabbit Hole Bole is really Excellent and I can't wait to see the Bird drum Mug all fired and glazed.
I guess we all need to thank you so this Thanksgiving holiday will be especially for you for all your giving and caring aaand your creating and and,and,,ALOHA

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Nov 27, 2008 6:16 AM

REALLY nice work everybody! Great bowl!

I think this one should read "Isle of BuzzaBuzzoo"...

Cam out!

On 2008-11-27 03:31, Benzart wrote:
I guess we all need to thank you so this Thanksgiving holiday will be especially for you for all your giving and caring aaand your creating and and,and,,ALOHA

Amen!

B

I am thankful for...Babalu!

hear!hear!
This last batch....
the rabbit hole....
Dave's Calavera...
the glaze on our collab...
:) :) :) :)

Nice!
Those are some REALLY cool lookin mugs there!

In an effort to pay it forward and help complete the Great Circle of Life, I got the chance to play teacher :) A friend who had never worked with clay before wanted to make a coffee mug for his SCUBA diving brother, so I made up a famous Babalu blank clay canvas and my "student" made this octopus and shipwreck coffee mug.

B

Ben, Thank you so much for those kind words! You really know how to make a guy feel good :) Ben, You are TC to me! My thanks to "YOU"!

Cam - come over and glaze!

Sir B - I am thankful for you! I have, and continue to learn from you...thanks brother.

LLT - Your abstract stuff is just blowing me away! I want, I want!!

Hey Duddy, wish you were here! You have to make it down to So. Cal sometime.

Mike, So sorry I did not get a pm back to you...looks like you did just fine without my help - YAY! Way to go Mike...

Well, I've been kickin' it in my Dads cabin and shop in the mountains of Colorado lately; helping him build some of his folk toys for one of his upcoming X-mas shows. This is my Dad, my wifey, and my oldest kiddo. If your looking for a cool toy for that special kid this year, consider Grandpa Gene...go to
http://www.grandpagenes.com/
Ok, that's enough snow for me for this year...back to SD tomorrow. See ya!

[ Edited by: Babalu 2008-11-30 08:34 ]

B

holy cow babalu!!
just got back from az and saw all the cool stuff that
came out of the last chop(i really like that 1st mug)
thanks for all the help,cant wait to try again

JT

Some truly amazing stuff!!!!

B
Babalu posted on Mon, Dec 8, 2008 9:42 AM

The Jab! Buzzard! Both you cats popped out some great work! Wonderful first mugs guys...more, more!

Here's a little PNG Xmas ornament I made at the Chop yesterday. He was sculpted solid then cut in half, hollowed out, then the half's were re-attached. Sorry, like in most of my work, there is so many different angles and under cuts on this guy...there's no way it could ever be molded. Lots of angles = lots of pics...Cross your fingers, I'm going to force dry this guy...somebody hand me a hair dryer!

BABS!! The mugs look great, but that BOWL looks fantastic! Let me know when's a good time to cruise by. Ran into Amy at the grocery store. Really makes you feel all homey when you run into good folks while you're shopping.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Dec 8, 2008 6:40 PM

Hot damn there's some fine art going on in here! Wow! :D keep up the good works guys!

Hey Babalu, thanks for having me over and feeding me today. Starvation day is now pushed back until Thursday!

I got one more mug ready for drying shelf now:

I pulled this one out of an old San Diego Tiki Factory mold that my friend got for me at the estate sale a while back. This particular mold was from a very rare sample mug that the rep used to take around to new accounts to show them the quality of the manufacturer's product. The mold was dated 1971, and a check of the old production sheets show that this sample was produced in very limited numbers from 1971 to 1974
Front

Back

Bottom

The BZ-1T and SDTF are from the original mold. I put Buzzy 08 on it so the recast will not be confused with the vintage originals, if one should ever surface.

They stamped them all with this, just in case a restaurant tried to sell the samples:

"For promotional use only not for resale"

Hope you're feeling better tomorrow.
Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2008-12-08 21:20 ]

Rick, the PNG ornament is outstanding! What colors will you splash on it?

Buzzy, it is so cool that someone cares enough about the past to preserve, promote, and protect these vintage molds. I vote we name you Ceramics Curator of the year :wink:

PNG Ornament!
BABS Rules!
:)

B
Babalu posted on Tue, Dec 9, 2008 6:49 PM

Hey Billy, I took the liberty of glazing that one little part you had left to do on your 2nd mug here...hope you don't mind...he's in a glaze fire now.

Thanks a ton for checking in with us Hewey. More soon :)

Buzzy...folks look at this bottom shelf here. I predict that there are going to be more than a few hand made ceramic Buzzy Xmas ornaments / pendants / rearview mirror dangler thingys available for this Xmas. We bisque fire this load tomorrow night.

Mike, there are a few little skeleton pile guys of yours here...I will fire them for ya.

Kinny, I put our little mug back in for a 2nd firing...tomorrow night man.

Bowana, Can you make out one of your babe's arms? Your staring into one of the peep holes in my kiln...1634 degrees and climbing.

Thanks, Babs.....I was actually going to ask you if you could do that for me. I'm stoked on the eye-ball mug....I really thought that red was going to run!

C

oh love the ornament! very cool!

Excellent work. The "Kiln Cam" is too cool.

been away too long, Babs, that bowl is amazing! All this work is incredible, the ornament is really inspirational!

B

GLAZING!! ARRRG!!!!

I used underglazes on this mug, 2-3 coats. This is what underglazes look like before firing. Not too spectacular.

After that, a clear gloss overcoat is needed (another 2 coats) This particular glaze is a very fitting pink.
Even less spectacular now.

And here's the results! Yay! I was glazing for days, but I've finally got a finished piece!

Bowana-fo-fona!

Absolutely outstanding, Bowana.

GT

Very Well Done! I love it!

"The 3 Gidgets" Incredibly perfect!

EDIT - Bowana, I know they give you crap about your steampunk goggles, but the proof is in the pudding - you've got nuthin' to be ashamed of! :)

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2008-12-14 09:51 ]

On 2008-12-14 07:58, Bowana wrote:

Beauty! Not a corn dog, but still... :wink:

L

That glaze looks beautiful. Great looking mug!

G
GROG posted on Sun, Dec 14, 2008 11:29 PM

Beautious! Bowana get A+.

Dig! Fantastic!

B

Thanks for the comments all!

On 2008-12-14 08:48, MadDogMike wrote:
EDIT - Bowana, I know they give you crap about your steampunk goggles, but the proof is in the pudding - you've got nuthin' to be ashamed of! :)

Thanks MadDog,I wear my Robot Steampunk Goggles with pride!
(However, they don't work so well when I'm driving.)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 1290 replies