Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Big Bang Creations - new Yipwan Drum Mug pg 86

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 1,290 replies

On 2007-09-17 17:45, Babalu wrote:

Next year, for the "08" SD Chop Chop mug...I'll build it, but you cats get to glaze your own. I will show you how.

I love this idea Rick. It's been a while since I've heard about anyone doing something like it. I think it will be a great draw.

We bottom-feeders love our tiki mugs. Don't we Buzzy? :wink:

B

I think 08 mug will be fun too Kate...Cammo said that he will make up some little cards for this Man of War mug, but I need one of you Choppers to invent the "Man of War cocktail" to put on it...The drink should be paralyzing to say the least...any ideas?

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Sep 19, 2007 8:28 AM

Giant Jellyfish attack Japan!

In recent years, huge numbers of Giant Monster Jellies (no kidding, from a news article) have been attacking Japanese fish nets & coastal communities! They destroy everything in their path! They're poisonous! They look creepy!

Holy Freakin' Godzilla! Check this out! - - -

C

Man O' War labels!

Which one?!

B

Dang Cam....I love um both! Cocktail = straight booze? As it should be.

I like the brown one.

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Sep 19, 2007 1:16 PM

Which one is the 'brown one' ? The one on the right is actually blue/black/red with a bit of purple. Maybe it looks brown?!

S
Sgirl posted on Wed, Sep 19, 2007 1:25 PM

Despite the fact that pink and blue are my favorite colors, I actually prefer the one on the right (looks black to me) It suits the mug better too, I think.

[ Edited by: Sgirl 2007-09-19 13:27 ]

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Sep 19, 2007 3:21 PM

From Reuters -
"THEY are called echizen kurage and they sound like monsters from the trashier reaches of Japanese science fiction.

They are 6ft wide and weigh 450lb (200kg), with countless poisonous tentacles, they have drifted across the void to terrorise the people of Japan. Vast armadas of the slimy horrors have cut off the country’s food supply. As soon as one is killed more appear to take its place.

Finally, the quarrelsome governments of the region are banding together to unite against the enemy. "

Holy Gamera, look at these! This is for real! They're stuck in nets!

This guy is trying to tag one! Holy Marlin Perkins!

Okay. I vote for the blue/black/red/purple one then.

Holy Gamera, indeed!

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Sep 20, 2007 5:48 AM

I wish I had the imagination to make this stuff up:

"As part of an ongoing battle against invading swarms of giant jellyfish in local waters, some residents of Fukui prefecture have developed a method for converting the jellyfish into powder, which is used to make souvenir cookies. The jellyfish treats, called “Ekura-chan saku-saku cookies,” are now on sale at JR Fukui station at a price of 580 yen for a box of 10.

Three years ago, students from Obama Fisheries High School in Fukui prefecture developed a method for turning the invading jellyfish into powder. (dry them, then toss them into a blender?!) A Fukui-area company followed up with a cookie recipe that includes the powdered jellyfish as an ingredient. The result is a cookie with a superbly textured sweetness nicely complemented by the bitter, salty flavor of jellyfish."

And here they are!

What a sickening end to a Gamera movie; make cute little cookies out of the jellyfish monsters, and smiling little Japanese kids eat them!

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Sep 20, 2007 8:43 AM

I made the labels into little cards that Babalu can sign & number inside - this is kind of a cheesy photo, but shows the idea. I think the drink came out pretty nice, kind of a Hawaiian slushie with a 4 oz. float of blackstrap rum...

you start drinking the cold slushie at the bottom and the rum slowly creeps down to the straw....

Yum! Yum! These turned out so beautiful Babalu! You made a very cool thing here! :D

B

Cammo, you are the bomb brother!! Thank you! Everything looks just fantastic. I want a Jelly cookie.

Kate - Sgirl - Thanks for the suggestions..your words made the difference.

LLT - Your kind words mean a lot to me Kenny...Thank you...keeps me going.

Well, off to do more Space Hippie stuff...Mahalo!

On 2007-09-20 08:43, Cammo wrote:
I made the labels into little cards that Babalu can sign & number inside - this is kind of a cheesy photo, but shows the idea. I think the drink came out pretty nice, kind of a Hawaiian slushie with a 4 oz. float of blackstrap rum...

you start drinking the cold slushie at the bottom and the rum slowly creeps down to the straw....

Another ingenious creation by Cam and Babs! Can't wait to try the drink, man.........being a drainer of blackstrap bottles and all. No Blackstrap at the PIFA.......or powertools. I guess I get to my fingers a little longer!
Seriously though, guys. AMAZING work and collaberation. You guys are like peanut-butter and jelly!

S
Sgirl posted on Thu, Sep 20, 2007 7:29 PM

Babalu,

Glad to help. The revised card is even cooler. Can't wait to try the drink in the mug we bought at Tiki Oasis. Love the idea of the rum dripping down to look like tentacles.

B

It's turning into a pretty nice set, Babalu. Purdy colors too!

On 2007-09-16 18:13, TravelingJones wrote:
Nice work fellas, topps & aces all around! :D

Who is that guy who is me?

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Sep 21, 2007 1:06 AM

I think that's Mr. Bainter the Painter. Actually, that should be me. You're always running around in green jeans, so that's you.

Does anybody remember them playing "Little Grass Shack" on Captain Kangaroo? They'd just have a still shot of a grass shack on a beach. It was weird. I always waited for something to happen. It didn't.

C

Looking good guys! :D
I like the mug drink card set a lot, very nice! Congrats!

B

Big thanks everyone! That's cool that you brought one of those 2 I sold at Oasis Sgirl! Let me know the number on the bottom and I will send you one of these little cards.

My hands down favorite was Bunny Rabbit...Dancing Bear = close second.

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Sep 22, 2007 6:06 AM

Sorry, that guy to the left is Dennis the Apprentice! He was played by the show's puppeteer, Cosmo.

Anybody remember FRED?!

"Fred was a character who appeared over the fictional Channel One on a TV set behind Captain Kangaroo's blackboard in the Treasure House. Maury Bunin created Fred utilizing Hank Stohl's Aniforms concept. Aniforms utilized rubber outlines of the character, contained in a special case, that were manipulated by the puppeteer off camera using levers attached to the case. This was then caught on camera and chroma-keyed over a plain background and fed live into the TV set. Fred first appeared on the Saturday morning Captain Kangaroo show in 1965. Cosmo "Gus" Alligretti provided the voice of Fred. Using the Aniforms process, Fred was able to interact live with the Captain and others."

B

Just pulled some new flavors out of the kiln...these were my two favorites from this firing.

That White one with the yellow interior is great! I love how the whole mug has an antiqued look! Beauty!
Clysdalle gave me this drawing he did for my Birthday...thought I'd share the LUV! :lol:

B

Hey Kenny,

Just back from a long weekend in Mexico to find this really cool Clysdalle on my thread....that is way cool! Thanks for sharing. That feller has some skills sure enough!

That white and purple one is my favorite too. Alas, it's time to stop beating on this mold and move on to another. One last glaze firing and all the chop mugs should be done.

Then Ken goes...showing my private, intimate works of art that were just for him.

SORRY DAVE!
It was just too Beautiful to keep to myself! :D

B

Started to take that "Bird" version of this MOW mug, that I keep beating on, in a little different direction last night...

and my favorite mug picture of the week...

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Nov 20, 2007 1:50 PM

Well, I think that's pretty awesome sculpting, Babs, especially considering you're working with SLIP and not actual sculpting clay. It's like making fine china out of flour and water.

Don't drop that one!

Red, orange, yellow, green and blue!

And Kate drinking Kava from a Man O' War is maybe the classic Chop photo of 2007.

B

Hey Cammo,

Thanks, but no bro, this isn't slip I used; I used low fire clay for the additions. I think he will glaze up nicely if he makes it through the drying ok. Still some more detail to go on him.

Clarita, if your out there? This is an example of what one would want to dry slowly...those feathers are much thinner than the rest of the head and will want to dry first...the trick is to not let them do that. Trying to mold this guy would not be possible for me...plus, hand building is more fun.

He kind of reminds me a little of that rooster bowl from the past (with a little more funk added :-) )...I would like to glaze him something along those lines.

The Bird's about two more sculpts away from turning into a bunny.

Nice work, interesting chimera, almost an asian phoenix head on a squid/jelly body...

HiPhipaHulA!! That Bird is fantastic! I love my new Cardinal Bird#2! A Million Mahalo's! Happy Thanksgiving All!!!

C

On 2007-11-20 14:53, Tiki-Kate wrote:
The Bird's about two more sculpts away from turning into a bunny.

Lol!

The new flavors are looking yummy!!

Hoo-Haa! Yowza-yowza-yowza!! :D I'm waaay behind in posting this photo, but Babs is Da 'Kane of Kindness an sent me this bitch'n Man O'War awhile'z back and I just wanted to drop a photo to shout out a BIG MAHALO'Z braddah B'!!! :D

(Babalu kinda lets me believe I'm the "bat boy" for the San Diego Chop-Chop KavaKavaKrewe... :))

Shoootz!

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Dec 19, 2007 3:50 PM

I still say this is the most dangerous looking tiki mug of all time. The fact that it has a tight-fitting removable top is CRA-ZEE. Whatever you put in it, it tastes better when you're sipping from the back of a jellyfish head!

It looks like the bar mug from "The Undersea Grotto and Grill", now defunct, from Las Vegas, c. 1959!

B

Well, It's been awhile since I posted anything in this thread...

I recently started this party bowl via a slab construction method (I don't throw). What you are seeing here is basically a canvas upon which I will attempt to build up on. Normally, this would not be a big deal, but this is cone 04, low fire clay that I am using here.
This stuff is really not kind to sculptural applications at all. It's hard to even roll a decent coil with this stuff, however, I need to match the cone 06 glazes that I did on the Hip Hip Birds (below), so low fire clay it is...It has been a series of strategic drying in areas and keeping moist in other areas (like the top ring) so the I can continue to build on it later. I kind of set myself up with these cantilevers on this shape I have chosen...this is a big bowl. So, Hip Lady, if I can pull this off I will be quite surprised...on to the detail work...time to build up.

These are the glazes I want to mimic on this Paradise Bowl...

Oh yeah, I also wanted to hand build a mug for the art swap that is happening over in the carving area right now. The rules were to make something with a New Zealand style to it...so, I mimicked something from one of my favorite New Zealand styles right now...Paipo's work...then, after I had done this, and stood back and looked at it..I was like, damn, I just copied a fresh idea from Paipo! The only thing I could think of to do besides squishing it was to send it to Paipo...so there ya go...Paipo has his first mug :) Paipo, if your out there, Bowana came over and gave me two packs of that really hard carving wax clay from China to include in the package too...It's that stuff I was telling you about. Sorry for smokin' your design like that dude.

So, I hand built these 2 mugs for the trade...(shity picture - sorry)

[ Edited by: Babalu 2008-03-30 21:43 ]

Nice work good to see fresh ideas & great craftsmanship right on lol ...:D

J

Really nice work! But I'm very curious about the "Tiki Chop at Fillmore West" poster! What's up with that?

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Mar 31, 2008 2:39 AM

Hehe Jen, I think it shows someone "imbibing" from a Manowar - maybe a custom version :wink:
I'm still pretty flattered you broadened your definition of "NZ Tiki" to include my work, and would have been happy if you wanted to use it in the swap, but if it must come my way...so be it! There might be a few people in NZ with more mugs than me, but I bet none can come close to some of the incredible pieces I've been gifted through the generosity of TC members.
I'm very excited about the clay too - I know the harder Roma one someone recommended to me isn't available here and if it was would be ridiculously expensive. I am determined to make some baby steps in media other than stone this year!
Now please tell me how you build a perfectly circular and lenticular-shaped vessel without the use of a wheel?

R
Robin posted on Mon, Mar 31, 2008 6:43 AM

Hey Babalu! That's a pretty fine slab construction on that bowl. Not an easy task to get it so perfect...especially with that cantilever....way to push it.. that takes some skills! I feel ya on that clay...it's unforgiving and short...but it sure does render nice colors!

Very cool mugs too!

Peace

Mudslinger

B

Yeah, What she said. I Really love that bowl And the Paipo piece AND yhe Swap Mugs, Gotta have'em ALL!

B
Babalu posted on Tue, Apr 1, 2008 8:08 AM

Hey Hip Lady, Thanks for being patient with me on this project. I've had lot's in the works lately.

Jen - Cammo came over to my studio and shot a picture of me just as I was in the middle of altering a MOW mug for a burner friend of mine. He turned that shot into an event poster for last year Oasis. I had no idea what he was doing at the time. He couldn't give-um away at Oasis...he most likely still has a whole box of them left?

BenZ - Thanks for the drive by! It is always good to hear from one of my favorite artist friends! :)

Mudslinger - I knew if there was anyone that would know how crappy this clay is to work with on TC, it would be you. I love, love, love your swap piece!

Paipo - Well, the construction of these vessels is really not that big of a deal if you are using good clay to begin with. I have done many similar in the past. I am using found object to lay the slabs in to create the shapes. In this case old plastic lamp shades. I coat the plastic form with veggie oil which acts as a release agent...lay the slab in...smooth...then I let it dry a little and pop it out. I then join the pieces together.

This first group of pictures was the first attempt at this bowl. It eventually collapsed on me due to this nasty clay. Note how I started to decorate the outside first.

This second grouping shows the second attempt at Hip's bowl. Note how I have changed my strategy and started to decorate the inside first this time while bracing everything up. Cross your fingers. I still have a ways to go with this, and have plans to build up pretty high on that upper lip area. I included a shot of a past fountain I did using this method of construction. It's big, the top part of it was made using one of those snow rider saucers. It just fit into my kiln.

Heres the clay I'm sending to you Paipo...some Roma, and the hard Chinese stuff that Bowana gave me last week to give to you. You can use them in combination with each other.

That Bowl is Awesome!
I got a feeling this one will make it thru the whole process
and become a thing of great beauty!
the glaze on jonesy's Man-O-War is very cool!
i'll have to post a pic of the one you sen me a while back!
Teals and greens with a ZANG! citron interior!
Keep up the goods Babs!

B
Babalu posted on Tue, Apr 1, 2008 9:32 PM

Yeah...Thanks for posting that mug Jonsey! I'm glad you liked him.

Thanks K...You on speed brother? You da mad painter!

Some time in after work tonight....

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Apr 2, 2008 6:25 PM

This bowl is freakin' amazing up close, I saw it a while ago. It's BIG, like giant salad bowl huge. If anybody can make it happen, Babs can, but this is one tricky project.

Good luck, Babby, this would look freaky with some high-proof rum as a lake of fire swirling around.

(Can you mix dry ice and rum on fire, or does the dry ice gases put it out????)

T

Wow! That's one crazy bowl, Rick. Makes me want to go out and get some clay...

B
Babalu posted on Wed, Apr 2, 2008 9:00 PM

Thanks Cam...fire? yup...it's in the master plan.

Kate, I have some killa clay work over here of yours that needs a glazen...they came through the bisque firing sweeeet!

K
Kahu posted on Wed, Apr 2, 2008 9:12 PM

All I can say is WOW! That looks like a hell of a lot of work. But WOW it looks like it is going to be amazing when you get it all done.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 1290 replies