Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Big Bang Creations - new Yipwan Drum Mug pg 86

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 1,290 replies

Just yesterday I was looking at the Show of Hands thread and saw the trophy head you were working on last August, I was wondering what ever became of it - now I know. PERFECTION!

V

Those heads are GREAT! Love the texture and proportions - so creepy! Keep the updates coming - what are the glaze plans for those guys? And a belated Happy Birthday!

Henrik

C

Very cool Babalu! Can't wait to see them done!

Some action shots from the last couple of nights:

Babalu plays some head games:

Tonight, he flipped...

the bowl.
He started by marking where the center of it was:

Then he tore the plastic away from the edge

he covered it with a board and applied the special flip grip

It all came down to this one critical moment...

The FLIP!

It made it!

When I left, he was making the back all fancy.

Buzzy Out!

Our local Mountain Biking Club is having a Pancake benefit... Maybe you give us a hand.

Seriously - cool pictures. Its nice to see the process in all of its glory (or on the other hand - disaster).

On 2009-03-26 11:00, AlohaStation wrote:
Our local Mountain Biking Club ...

AS, who are you trying to kid? I was in Miami last summer and there ain't no mountains! :lol:

B

SUCCESS!!

B

Wow, huge thanks to all you nice folks...Sir B, GROG, the Jab, Thomas, Hil, Kaimuki, Aloha, LLT, Ravs, Tiki King, Mad Doggie, Van the Man, and Clarita....and thanks master Buzz for posting those shots :)

Okay boys, I have to take a road trip for the other worky place so here's the firing schedule...Going to try to get a quick glaze firing done this weekend on a few thingys so if you have anything bring it by...the big dry out will take place from now until April 5th or 6th on the rest of this stuff....We are then going to do a long first firing. I'm going to candle the kiln for a long time as I fear some air might be trapped under those fishies...After that, its full tilt glazing sessions as we want to get our work back in the kiln by no later than the 8th...Tonga show is on the 11th...

yea what he said.... really amazing love me some native trophy heads.

B

Yes those Trophy heads are Amazing. I Love the one in the Middle :o

B

Just for you Ben...ROCK THE RABBIT!!!

Well, only time for a quick post. Here is a group shot of the work I'm taking to the Tonga Hut Show tonight...go to
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=31540&forum=17&215
Hope to see many of you there! I'll post more later on with other views.

Thanks for looking!

V

The heads! The heads! I can't get them out of my head! Absolutely love them, and the bunny ears are a nice touch! :)

Henrik

Fantastic!
The heads are amazing!
The KONA platters are beautiful!
Extra-super-special fine work!
U DA BEST!
B~

Those heads are perfect!!

GT

Very-Very Well done on those heads my friend, Awesome! Cheers to you! Gogo

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Apr 11, 2009 7:00 PM

Damn Babs! Those heads are slick! Youz one talented cat. I hope you, Sir Bowana, and Sir Buzz have a good time tonight. I doubt any of that stuff will be making it back home with you......

-G

Super work, Babalu! Amazing trophy heads! :o

All sold? Or should I say, any remains? :lol:

B

Thanks for coming on and posting you guys...it really does keep me motivated.
Sorry Blacksandz...those heads went quickly. I have a few folks already asking about the next run. I've got a few things to do and then I'm going bust out a tribe of these Trophy Heads...

Pulled this one out of moth balls...time to put the final details on now

Thanks for looking, and please pop back in whenever you can - Peace.

Sai Baba never sleeps!
You are on a roll with all these delicious goodies!
more trophy heads!!!
:)

GT

Awesome work on those heads! Very well done!

M
mp posted on Sun, Apr 19, 2009 12:03 AM

Incredible work Babalu, the detail is intense. Do you ever sleep?
I'm headed to the clay studio this week recharged! Bust out the slab roller.

B

Morning All,

LLT - I'm making new Trophy Heads as I write this...now that's hard to do :)

GoGo - Congratulations on you and Dani's big day...The wedding looked perfect!

Mike - Glad to hear your headed to the studio. I love the mug I brought from you at the Tonga Hut...yes, yes.

I wanted to show off a little octopussy mug that my neighbor Ellen did. Ellen is part of the Pod maker clan here on TC. Proof again that "Girls Rule". The sculpt on this FIRST mug of hers is wonderful, but what really set me off is her under glaze work on this guy. The pointillism approach that she took to the surface area is really cool...one I may have to try out for myself down the road. You ROCK Ellen!

Next up, the sculpting part on the Paradise Bowl is finally done - YAY! It shouldn't take to long to dry this one out. For those that may not know, I've built this thing 3 times now...This is the last time. If it doesn't make it through the first firing this time, I'm moving on. This bowl is big, and is meant to be used for a 4 person party. There are 4 mugs built around the top rim of the bowl that hold cocktails separate from the main bowl area...a straw is inserted through the bird's heads feathers to drink from the mugs. Then, the main bowl is the communal bowl where long thin straws are used. This bowl here will be wonderful for that old TC past time favorite game of 'Drink till you Drop'...yup, yup - (ps: the heads on the birds are white becuse they have already been fired once)

And just when I I was doubting that Buzzy really has a time machine...he sends me this picture as proof that he took his time machine and my concept, and traveled back in time to some remote island in the South Pacific and copied my idea just to be the first...Dang Buzzy! I should have never doubted...sorry.

Dang BABA!
Paradise bowl is gonna be YET ANOTHER gem
from your wonderful magic Clay Factory!
you are Bowl-Master!
and today's 4/20/09!
hmmmmmmmm....

Kudos to your neighbor on the octopus!

At Oasis we should do a little
"extra maintenance" to Buzzy's time machine!

C

Paradise bowl it's pure magic!
and I like the octopus ceramic, very creative, congrats to Ellen.

Third time's a charm for the Paradise Bowl, go Babalu go! :)

I'm gonna sit right here, I'm gonna watch the sun
Disappear into the ocean, it's been years since I smelled this salty sea.

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2009-04-25 20:10 ]

For those that may not know, I've built this thing 3 times now...This is the last time.

Kinda puts my own frustrating experiences with painting into perspective. I haven't lurked around TC enough yet to have seen this piece before. Wow, double wow and triple wow!!! Your dedication amazes me almost as much as the work itself.

Always an inspiration to see what you're working on.

L

Really hope the bird bowl ends up as a finished piece. It looks amazing at this stage and can only imagine how much more impressive it will look if you get to complete it all the way through.

B

Sir Kinny...I'm pretty busy the next few weeks, and I have a trip coming up soon...still, I'm moving a "head" with the work in the studio...I would like to stay a "head" of the game if I can.

Clarita - Your always so nice...I'm not sure the work deserves all that, but "thank you"!

Mad Doggie - Thanks brother, I can't wait to see pics of the stage set you've been working on.

Heather - Wow back...what an honor to have you bounce in with a few kind words. I hope that your going to be vending at Oasis this year; I would very much like to meet you and see more of your work in person.

Leleliz - Thank you too :) I think this bowl will make it just fine...It is almost dry now, and no cracks have appeared anywhere - YAY!

Well I have several of these guys started and the sculpting part on one done so far this weekend...

Out of respect towards all New Zealand natives everywhere, this Hoale will not be naming any of his Trophy Heads with New Zealand names, instead I'm focusing on Western names...think of it in some small way as a little "pay back" for the head trade business that they were responsible for in the late 1700's - early 1800's...served up first - "Antonio"....

The first 4 Trophy heads that are gone right now, had no names...

Thanks for takin' a peek!

B

:)

Antonio!
Poor Antonio!
these Shrunken heads of yours are SUPERB!

how 'bout doin a Big Toe shrunken head?
or a Clysdalle one?
:lol:

G
GROG posted on Mon, Apr 27, 2009 9:03 AM

How about an LLT one and we'll just leave it empty like in real life. :lol:

[ Edited by: GROG 2009-04-27 10:00 ]

[ Edited by: GROG 2009-04-27 10:01 ]

[ Edited by: GROG 2009-04-27 10:01 ]

how about a GROG Head Luau Pig?
:lol:

Trophy head mugs are simply amazing! I know of three names right quick! Tom, Dick and Harry.

On 2009-04-15 23:23, Babalu wrote:
Thanks for coming on and posting you guys...it really does keep me motivated.
Sorry Blacksandz...those heads went quickly. I have a few folks already asking about the next run. I've got a few things to do and then I'm going bust out a tribe of these Trophy Heads...

Pulled this one out of moth balls...time to put the final details on now

Thanks for looking, and please pop back in whenever you can - Peace.

YAY for moth Balls.... any balls...kind of... :)

your trophy head mugs are outstanding babs!!!

B

Hey guys, thanks for all the props on the trophy heads. I'm digging on this direction, so expect some more happening with these. :)

May is a very busy month for Babalu, but I will try to keep a few fires burning in the studio. Need to start gearing up for Oasis and finishing a few commissions that I have on the table already.

Hip Hip - I'm happy to say that your Paradise Bowl made it through the first firing just fine....it's all down hill from here.

C

YAY!!!! pure magic, i'm telling you!! down hill means easier or the opposite? I'm not sure, but I have all my fingers crossed that's for sure! hard to carve like this so finish it soon please :D!

WOOOHOOO!!!! All white and still all in one piece!!!! :)

Babalu, remember the faux mosaic tiki torch plate I had you bisque for me? I should have brought it to you for the glaze firing too; I took it to the community college and they jacked it up! :evil: I think they fired the glaze at 04 even though it was clearly marked 06. Ended up with a streaky mat finish. :( :( :(

C
Cammo posted on Tue, May 5, 2009 3:50 PM

Community Colleges SUCK.

Babalu RULES!

'Nuff said.

Who goin' to see Star Trek YEEEEHAW!!!! Space Hippies FOREVER!!!!!!

Cam, where have you been besides Buzzys house? I haven't seen you in forever, man!

C
Cammo posted on Tue, May 5, 2009 6:03 PM

I been at Buzzy's house.

There's enough in that place to keep you busy for about 65.8 years. You seen his book collection??? Jeeez.

And what you mean, where have I been? Where you been, ya doorknob? Did they lock up your dog or something? Billy the C, the only guy whose dog did 7 at Chino.

Yeah, Patsy ran down the hill and bit some poor kid on the ass, having jumped three feet up to do it. Freakin' dog cops locked her up for 10 days, the bastards. I'll be cruising by Buzzys on Saturday to get a little direction, so it would be nice to see you if you're around.

B

Babs, Your paradise bowl is Looking Awesome, This will Be "The One" I'm Positive!. Still Loving your Trophy heads and they keep getting better and better. Keep up the good stuff.

B

Big Thanks Clarita, Mad Doggie, Cruddy, Cam, and Master BenZ....

I have to give a plug here for the Community College setting. I am "sure" that I learned way more is this type of venue than I did in the 4 year school I transfered to.

Like Henrick, I find that I have to hit the road for the other job for the rest of the month...All I have to offer up right now is the finished head of Antonio...

The inside looks a little lt. blue in this image, but it is really a very nice Sea Foam Green.

thanks for looking...

BEAUTIOUS!
Have a safe and fun trip Sai Baba!
Fingers crossed you'll get to see that 200 year old ceramics factory
you had mentioned!

That Antonio is cool, Babalu! Beauty and pain there in his face!

On 2009-05-11 11:15, little lost tiki wrote:
Fingers crossed you'll get to see that 200 year old ceramics factory
you had mentioned!

Only 200 years? In Asia that's a newbie! :)
Enjoy (as much as you can on a business trip)

P

M

[ Edited by poptiki on 2022-10-12 03:43:13 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 1290 replies