Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Big Bang Creations - new Yipwan Drum Mug pg 86

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 1,290 replies

Wow Babs!
Those Gidgets turned out SPOT-ON!
and i thought they were great BEFORE the glazing!
Your MAgic Robot glasses work!

B

Sir B...That is one FANTASTIC mug!!!

Ok folks, lots of stuff done...Lots and lots of images...

PNG Bird Man Drum Mug

Honu Bowl

PNG Christmas Ornament

Sorry the image overload...thanks for look all.

[ Edited by: Babalu 2008-12-16 15:03 ]

simply put, the master! Babalu, that Honu is astonishing! I bow down

I swear I saw that turtle move!!! Amazing sculpt, and amazing glaze! Put some water in the bowl and that inside turtle would look lifelike, too.

Nice glaze on the ornament, too.

Perfect 10 for perfect execution. The SPCA is going to start hounding you for using live turtles as sculpture!

Babs and Dave, once again, we are but small children, playing in your enormous sandbox. Amazing mugs, bowls, ornaments, etc.....Very cool, guys!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Dec 15, 2008 11:13 PM

HOLY CRAP!!

It was so exciting being in the studio the last few days with all this online tiki art show stuff happening.
Here are some pictures from over the weekend

Loading the kiln piece by piece as we glazed on, and on, and on....

I left on Saturday after finishing a marathon of painting on glazes and came back on Sunday to find a mini art show on the table

Bowana rascals kept pervin' out on the Aloha sisters whenever they got a chance. This guy couldn't help but notice how anatomically correct made this piece:

He's liking what he sees

Now that you have all been amazed at Bowana, Cammo, and Babalu's work, let's get ready for amateur hour!

My new stuff:

First, the second anniversary of The San Diego Tiki Factory mug:

This is the third mug that I have made in my brief ceramics career

I glazed the chain yellow instead of gold as a tribute to the Tiki Bob mug

All hand made, will never be molded.

Blue interior with the yellow chain to mirror the San Diego Super Chargers colors

It is SD, after all. Even though the Chargers suck and I hate them, they're still SD colors!

Next piece, the Maori Drinky cup:

This is my favorite piece. I love this little mug!

I'm drinking a Cherry Pepsi from it right now

I made it to match one of the Maoritini glasses

The one in the middle

This one:

Here's the MokoMaoritini glass:

And the third:

The SDTF vendor promo fogcutter mug:

The Coco Joe's lava inspired plaque:

Too many angles reflecting light so these pictures suck

I need to put sanding marks on the next one to make it more authentic

Or maybe just make it out of resin. :roll:

The pendants:

Tried to make these look like jade:

These guys are actually beads:

I tried to match the color of Oscar the Grouch on this one:

Rusty rock colored piece

Jade with lava background:

Polished jade on a rusty rock background:

Rusty rock on a lava background

Width view:

Well, that's everything I did. Time to start working on filling the kiln again.

Babalu: You got any pictures of the turtle without the bowl on top to show all our nice tiki friends and art lovers?

Better get to work now.
Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2008-12-16 00:10 ]

Buzzy, you made a kiln-load of cool shit, man. I miss all you guys. Need to make time to do some art pretty soon, here.

MILES AND MILES of AWESOMENESS!

that HONU bowl needs to be in a museum!
Santa's Workshop ain't got nuthin on you,Babs!

and charge Buzzy Kiln Rental!
you really shouldn't let him
abuse his kiln priviledges like that...

G
GROG posted on Tue, Dec 16, 2008 9:03 AM

Lotsa cool stuff! Nice to see Bowana finished GROG' Aloha Sisters mug just in time for Santa to deliver to GROG for Christmas.

B

Man Babalu, the stuff coming out of your place is totally Awesome, you must feel like a proud papa. Your live turtle bowl is Stunnung, how did you get the turtle to stay still long enough to make the mold? Wish I could be there too.

On 2008-11-29 10:52, MadDogMike wrote:
In an effort to pay it forward and help complete the Great Circle of Life, I got the chance to play teacher :) A friend who had never worked with clay before wanted to make a coffee mug for his SCUBA diving brother, so I made up a famous Babalu blank clay canvas and my "student" made this octopus and shipwreck coffee mug.

Finished mug

R

BABS!

That Honu Bowl is so freakin adorable!!! I love the details on that cutey honu's face! :D

Awesome awesome awesome! :)

B

Thank you Cass...pick a day, bring a friend, come down and play :)

Wheeler! - Thank man, I'm soooo happy that there is goings to be more Chops a happening over at your new house!

Mad Doggie - Your friends mug looks great! Good job on passing the word brother....

Billy - I got's two finished mugs over here for ya...they are sweet! Come collecting.

GROG - I put holes in that crap just for you. :)

Buzzy, you mug stud! What...you have like 100 things for me to fire right now? Your a machine!

Kinny - Let's RAWK the Tonga Hut! Time to make some of them killa designs you got's going on there...tell the Toe.

Ravs - Thanks Lady! P.S. - I got your muggy over here on ice, ready to pick back up...

BenZo - Thanks man...I just can't stop lookin at my new pendant. You are blessed my friend!

Ok, on to new stuffs....

I just did a firing for 2 mugs...gosh, I hate that...I would much rather fire a full kiln, but hey....whatever....

First up: Cammo's very delicious "Tawiri Ma-Te" Mug...means "God of Storms". Sweeet Cam...Dang nice work!

Next up: This Cobra Fang #3 Muggy....

Thanks for taking a peek :)

L
Liana posted on Sun, Dec 28, 2008 3:27 PM

Always great stuff to look at when I come to this thread - nice work Cam and Babalu!

Liana.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Dec 28, 2008 4:52 PM

Dude! I am always amazed when I stop in and see what you are doing with the mud. That's some crazy stuff there Babs. It's really fun to see what a real professional can do. Youz the tops man....it gets no betta. Hail to the Mud King.

-G$

C

"re.: Babalu's work - Dude! I am always amazed when I stop in and see what you are doing with the mud."

Jeez, and is my stuff chopped liver or sumthin'??? This took me 3 weeks of design development, at least 3 bisque tests and over 73 man-hours of fine glaze detailing to accomplish! Based on the original Paul Gauguin Tiki art of the late 1800's, it stands 15 inches high, vase size!

Well, maybe somebody can use it as a doorstop...

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Dec 29, 2008 4:14 AM

nOT LIvER - It's the schnizzel. Gman Likee.

CAM!!!! That twisted Moai is KILLER!!!!

Babs!!! The Cobra Fang3 is morbidly sweet!! I remember seeing both of those when they were just lumps of wet clay, man. Good stuff!!!

Cam - great work! Love the glaze, look like it's carved from wood. At 15 inches it should hold enough rum to brew up quite a storm!

Crikey mate, wouldya take a gander at that rare albino cobra! Now, these little buggers are known to be 10 times as lethal as a regular cobras due to their diet of nothing but ceramic rats. Let's see if I can catch him with my bare hands ........ouch!....
................................................................................................................................
............................................................................................................................................
(Sweet Babalu!)

GREAT WORK EVERYONE!

This page of work is terrific, too much to comment on individually, but really kick-ass stuff.

B

dammit Babs!!!

this is all looking soooo good. i am blown away by how good that turtle bowl came out.

i cant wait to get back down there and f#@k some more s*!t up!!!!

mad alohas, t

Nice work kids!

Cammo...
it looks good
but get over it...
remember what we talked about
with the "bitter crabby artist" thing...
we should have a Cam stroke/pity party!
Gaugain would be proud...

Baba! thAT albino snake creeps me out
worse than johnny and edgar winter!

mad Dog! great piece!
i hope the new owner really appreciates it..
it's bombs...

Corba #3 - sweet! Looks like something Alice Cooper might drink outa. (hear he lives over on Maui by the by)

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Dec 30, 2008 7:01 AM

"Gaugain would be proud..."

It's spelled 'Gauguin'.

Gaugain is a protein-vitamin drink used by Russian weightlifters.

B

Wow! Great mugs, Mike, Babs, and Cam! The glazing is spectacular! I better get to work on some new stuff!

Here's some shots of the Alohas and their glaze job.

I used underglazes for the bright colors, and clear coat on top.

Here's the two little trouble makers I made at Mieko's, ready to steal your lunch money!

On 2008-12-29 21:50, little lost tiki wrote:
Baba! thAT albino snake creeps me out
worse than johnny and edgar winter!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bowowow

Bowana, I don't think it could get any more perfect than that! The details amaze me, both the sculpt and the glaze.

B

Thanks everyone! Just time enough for a quick drive by posting tonight...

Sir B, stopped over this afternoon for a few hours and we started a few goodies...

Bowana, did a whole little box full of little goodies...Sorry folks, this is the only picture took of Dave's work :(

I started this new bowlie today...still have to fine tune the 3 trohpy heads, etc, and put a nice lip around the top, but these images should give you a pretty good idea we're I'm going with it. This was the first thing for me to write 2009 on this year. :)

L

Hehe love those figurines Bowana!

C

Me too! and the aloha sisters are looking perfect, what a titanic job, fiu.... cammo's mug, the maoitini's, the turtle bowl, PNG Bird Man Drum Mug (my favorite ever!), the ornament so many amazing things you are making! i just have to come back over and over and say so :)! have a great new year you all!

GT

Hey Bowana, The Aloha mug looks Great, That is the best mug I have ever seen, You should be proud, Hey Babs the bowl looks very cool too, Great Job you guys! Happy New Years, Gogo

Simply AWESOME!!!!!

B

Hey Thanks for stopping by Liana and GoGo...Bowana is the MAN! After you have been next to each of his babe mugs is tough to pick a favorite...The Aloha Sisters is a perfect sculpt, but the 3 surfer girls are about a 1/3 the size of the Alohas and they still look cute. He basically carved those tiny faces using a small needle tool...sheesh!

Clarita - We are sooo happy when you come around! It just wouldn't be the same around here without you.

Hey Danny, wow, thanks for bouncing in on our thread! If you ever get the urge to come down and play in the shop, we would love, love to have ya over for some Clay Jam...take care man.

Ok, on to stuffs....

For the most part, I finished this here bowlie this afternoon. I still need to let the clay dry up some...I have about 1/2 hour of fine tuning, but...for the most part he's done. I put 2 small holes on the bottom rim for some wire or some raw hide, or something like that there, so someone can use it, and also hang it up on the wall.

I figure if Sir B can have a Sisters Mug, I can have a Brothers Bowl....this one is called "3 Brothers". They are as close in death as they were in life :)

Sir B, I tried, but I still went a little over board anyway...4 + 5

Hey, HAPPY NEW YEAR all!

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Dec 31, 2008 9:14 PM

More killer stuff going on here than anywhere I've EVER seen!

How the heck does Babs do stuff like this over a holiday week, while recovering from Christmas and painting the house at the same time?!

Are there in fact two Babs - one does the clay stuff while the other runs around getting groceries, working and doing the year end taxes?

Hey - the hula girls are great, but I really love Bowana's leetle fiendish guys! Extra-specially the upside down 13 guy!

Cripes, that's it, I'm throwing in the towel!

The 3 bros is awesome, I'm diggin' the swirled PNG motif you're usin'

Keep it coming!

Merveilleux!!!

Oh bruddah!!!

Sweet temptation!!!

B
Babalu posted on Fri, Jan 2, 2009 8:35 AM

Hey Cam, Throwing in the towel would be a mistake. Your work is outstanding. Your first few attempts at hand building are some of the best "firsts" I've ever seen. What Buzzy is doing now is the key....do 100 pieces. It gets faster, and it will get even better. Think Mad Dog Mike - Do not fear to fail. We are all good, but we are "all" still very small fish in the grand scheme of ceramics. What makes us special is the fact that we have all come together to "unite" under a flag of creativity. The one thing you do not lack for is ideas....Just be aware that everyone else here does not lack for ideas either. No one needs yours. There are no secrets here...I will share with you, and "anyone else", everything I know about hand building....we learn from each other. It is always the follow up action that counts. That's where most will drop the ball. Pick up some clay brother...make something new!

Mr. Sandz, Thank you for the drive by! It's folks like you that keep us charged up to the act of making!

Ok, on with stuffs...

Big Toe, started this wonderfully complicated mug at the last Chop I did over here. He made it through the building of the design and everything else for the most part. He ran out of time to take a little weight out of the center of it, and to put a base on it before he had to head back up north...I mention to him that I would do these few small things for him. Isn't this a killa mug! It's so...well um...TOE! Check out that mouth on this guy! See the daylight between the teeth....just bitchin'. I still have to dry and fire this guy Master Toe...anything could happen - don't get to attached to him just yet. Sorry it took me so long...Don't tell GROG that you wanted me to use his secret lucky rock to texture with. :)

Great job BigToe, he makes me happy :)

Sir Bowana, I've got a question for you, maybe Babalu will answer it. I can't get over the glaze job on the Aloha Sisters. Was that done in one firing or did you glaze parts at a time? Maybe it's just my lack of a steady hand, but sometimes it seems easier to me to glaze and fire the background (for instance) of something intricate, then go back to glaze and fire the rest. Any glaze I accidentally brush on the fired background is easy to remove. Maybe I'm just lazy because I have a small kiln and don't have to wait to fill it before I fire.

B
Babalu posted on Fri, Jan 2, 2009 9:43 AM

Hey Mike,

Not sure where Sir B is right now...he used Amaco cone 05 Satin Underglazes and clear coated the underglaze...One firing.

Crap? Brother your work is far from crap. Your a trail blazer!

Babs!-that PNG bowl is pushin the envelope!

Toe's "British Moai" is awesome and ready for the kiln!
Vaya con Dios on a successful firing...

Let's ClayJam soon BABA!

B
Bowana posted on Fri, Jan 2, 2009 3:16 PM

On 2009-01-02 08:55, MadDogMike wrote:
Great job BigToe, he makes me happy :)

Sir Bowana, I've got a question for you, maybe Babalu will answer it. I can't get over the glaze job on the Aloha Sisters. Was that done in one firing or did you glaze parts at a time? Maybe it's just my lack of a steady hand, but sometimes it seems easier to me to glaze and fire the background (for instance) of something intricate, then go back to glaze and fire the rest. Any glaze I accidentally brush on the fired background is easy to remove. Maybe I'm just lazy because I have a small kiln and don't have to wait to fill it before I fire.

I put all the colors on at once, and it was fired one time. I made use of my Robot Steam Punk Goggles to make sure the colors were brushed on exactly where I wanted them. It was like a paint-by-numbers set in 3D. You just have to be R E A L L Y careful!

I got some new glasses today to wear over my contacts for detail work (I'm at THAT age :lol: ) I guess I need to get some decent brushes now instead of the old leftovers from when my kids were little.

T

Awesome stuff coming out of Babalu's Studio! Your Three Brothers bowl is incredible! Bowana's got some great pieces as well!

Happy New Year! Can't wait to see what you'll produce in 2009!

O

all great stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JT

WOW!!!
Killer stuff

Hey tom great moai! :) I dig it!

Hey Tobunga!
when are you gonna glaze YOUR
awesome Hut mug?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 1290 replies