Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Mojave Oasis Pictures Pg 46 ! Something new Pg 55

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 833 replies

Almost there!

We're on the way! Can't wait to get there and more can't wait to unload the car and have breathing room. :)

Have the Mai tai's ready!

uuuhh hummm..... pictures please... .....

Sounds like a fun party, wish I could have made it.. I love MoJaVe....

Have A Great Weekend!!!!

S

It is so much fun, I'm having a drink in the bar. The crawl is going on .

R

pictures????????

Sitting out by the lake. Smokin' Menehunes up next on stage. It's a gorgeous Mojave day!

I think this link will allow everyone to view pics. Can't upload from mobile here on TC that I can figure out.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?fbid=10150105350146307&id=524391306&aid=277337&l=3c248ac15c

J

Saturday night at Mojave Oasis was like...

Tiki magic !! :)

Tikiyaki O. on that fantastic stage, the lighting, the mood, vibed like a Poly-Pop dream from the 1950/6O's. I'm sure Tonga Tom's upcoming photos will do the evening justice.

The afternoon was relaxing as well, sipping cocktails at the bar while the Smokin' Menehunes performed in front of the lake.

The grounds were much more compact than what I expected, resulting in a cozy intimate atmosphere.

Kudos to Queen K., SoccerTiki, and the all the artists involved.

See you there again in Oct !!

On 2011-04-17 10:16, JOHN-O wrote:
Saturday night at Mojave Oasis was like...

Tiki magic !! :)

Tikiyaki O. on that fantastic stage, the lighting, the mood, vibed like a Poly-Pop dream from the 1950/6O's. I'm sure Tonga Tom's upcoming photos will do the evening justice.

The afternoon was relaxing as well, sipping cocktails at the bar while the Smokin' Menehunes performed in front of the lake.

The grounds were much more compact than what I expected, resulting in a cozy intimate atmosphere.

Kudos to Queen K., SoccerTiki, and the all the artists involved.

See you there again in Oct !!

Thanks again, John-O for the sandwich!

I had a brief, but good time! Sorry I could not stay for the Tikiyaki set! I bet it was something really special (it always is, of course!)

In my opinion, the Menehunes also should be scheduled at night...too often we play these events in the middle of the day, and the bright sunlight does not really suit our mood, you know? Plus, most people are escaping the heat in their rooms (or trailers)..so they end up missing our sets. Menenehunes play soft, romantic music. Music that is great under the stars, or in a darkened tiki bar!

WooHoo & Cheers to Queen K, SoccerTiki, The Mojave Oasis Ohana, and ALL the Artists & Musicians who spent days, weeks, months, and many hours creating Mojave Oasis. This Event was a huge success!! Mahalo to All who made the trek out to Mojave Oasi. See You in October :)

What an awesome weekend!!! Thank you Amy and everyone else involved. Where else can you relax at your campsite by the lake, MaiTai in hand, and listen the great sounds of live bands playing classic Hawaiian and exotica music? I've got a few pics, I'll post them later. PERFECT!!!

We had a great time! Thanks to all of the hosts that made it possible. I'll post the pics soon.

J

On 2011-04-17 12:01, lucas vigor wrote:

...Menenehunes play soft, romantic music. Music that is great under the stars, or in a darkened tiki bar!

...or in front of Lake Tiki on a beautiful sunny day !!

Actually I was going to take a picture of the SM's playing as Mr. & Mrs. Bigbro were paddling by in the background but DustyCajun handed me a Mojave Punch (??) just at that time. :)

Had such a great time seeing everyone at Mojave Oasis! Thanks to Amy, Chris, Karen, Bamboo Ben, Buzzy, Crazy Al, Big Tiki Dude and countless others for all of their hard work. It really paid off. Aloha!

My hubby enjoying a cocktail at the Mermaid Lounge:

Our campsite. We had great neighbors and they were all named Mike (and Sarah):

G
GROG posted on Sun, Apr 17, 2011 7:12 PM

4 qnd a half hours to go 142 miles.

It was worth it.

Thanks Queen K and everybody involved for awesome time. Buzzy is living onsite carving even more tikis and stuff for the Mojave Oasis. So, in October, for GOIN' PRIMITIVE there's going to be even MORE stuff!

AWESOME!!!!!!! This is next level Stuff people.

Thanks for my Home for Mojave Amy and Chris,Great Job....

The old home of the Martini Kings is now the home of the Wild Man of Wildsville,Dig?

Save the Date.......Oct 14-16th
Mojave Oasis + Tiki Caliente =

Express your Darkside........

TM

I also want to thank Big Tiki Dude for the EXCELLENT tunes I heard while I was there!

Big Tiki Dude, shirt on or shirt off....the Smokin' Menehunes luv U man!

"Patres conscripti took a boat and went to Philippi
Boatum est upsettum, magno cum grandine venti.
Omnes drownderunt qui swim away non potuerunt.
Trumpeter unus erat, qui coatum scarlet habebat
Et magnum periwig, tied about with the tail of a dead pig....."

http://soundcloud.com/lucas-vigor/sets/set-3/

"yer jus not tuned into the series of tubes yet, let it soak in".

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2011-04-17 20:19 ]

Long live the Queen! (Kamehameha, that is!) Amy has raised the bar. And since we all like bars so much... well... you know.

To everyone who put this place and event together, you deserve a standing ovation.
To all my beloved ohana, who immediately offered me a drink and got the tractor to pull my car out of the sand... another standing ovation.

Amy, Chris, Karen, Ben, Buzzy, Doug Horne, and gawd, I know I'm forgetting people and I'm sorry. Anyway, wowee! What a fabulous place you've built!
This was an enchanted event. From the full moon glowing over the lake, to the great music, food and camaraderie. And, my oh my, the imagination that went into the trailer and tent decorating!

I can't wait for the next time we all meet up here.

How many of you found my baby stingray? :lol:

HT

Thank you Amy, Ray, Chris, and Karen for helping everyone have a wonderful weekend at Mojave Oasis, and especially to all the Tiki people that put their skills to make that a great place for TIKI PEOPLE.

Thank you everyone!
I was honored that so many of you chose to come to this event and share our first Mojave Oasis experience with us. Ever since I learned about Newberry springs and lake Loreen I was inspired to Somehow do something today like what Gus Ragosa started so long ago, he was a visionary and an amazing marketeer.
I can not thank everyone enough from the bands; house of bamboo, tikiyaki, and the smokin menehunes , Jeff the fantastic dj all weekend. The carvers, mieko for arranging it, and making the cool shell necklaces, Kirby with his camping companion and dawn Kenny, Doug and buzzy for all the other cool Mojave items.

The artists who brought the vision and wacky ideas to life, Danny, tiki diablo for the incredible clam bar roof, buzzy great carves, trailer magic and keeping me sane, mad dog mike for the coolest back bar design ever,Vintage tikis by Benzart, kahaka and tiki skip for great lamps, tiki rays unbelievable mermaids ruzic for the fantastic mural, babalu and squid for the cool mugs, the always amazing bamboo Ben, for so many things i can not even list them all and being there once again for the challenge. Mandy and Chris for the vision come to life of the lighted sign designed by Jim Bacchi..., Crazy al, well for being crazy AL!, Doug Horne, for the great map design and shot glass done by holden, dawn Frazier for the beginning designs and feel,
All the people who worked so hard on the bar, store, everywhere, , Rory, Vicki, James, Jannea, Victor, Otis, Jesse, Kelly, Jeff crane, Tiki Ray, Cindy, Jeremy and Karen and Chris.
Vendors! We had great vendors, thank you for joining this event. Our sponsors, don the beachcomber, Frankie's tiki room, asombroso tequila, primo beer! If I missed anyone, I am sorry, there are so many people to thank.
My team of guys onsite who keeps everything running smoothly, and last but certainly not least .... a special thanks to Sven for reminding us all how cool tiki was, still is today and what it can be.

I thank you all from the bottom of my heart!

Amy

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2011-04-18 12:13 ]

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2011-04-18 13:03 ]

I had a great time and got to hang with Sven, Rory, Marty, Al and all the usual suspects. Ray and Cindy, Meiko and Phil, Kevin and Bethany and my formerly non tiki now new tiki friends Dana, Tracey, Rafella, Ray and Cindy (yes, yet anotherRay and Cindy) and all the fire pit crew. Kenny Ruzic, Doug Horne, Dawn Frazier, Buzzy Meeker and all the awesome artists. Ben qnd Vicky, ?... all the beautiful people in this glorious sub-culture.The House of Bamboo, the Smoking Menehunes,Crazy Al and Tikiyaki.
I want to personally apologize to everyone, in particular Jim Bacchi for the "I love their music, they love the way I do their shirts" line.
I went out Sunday afternoon and found that "joke" lying dead in the grass in front of the stage. It was buried 666 yards east of the Bagdad Cafe.
Love you all....you renew my faith in the human race to live life and enjoy each other.

[ Edited by: Me Myself and Moai 2011-04-18 16:31 ]

Driving down the 40 you start to question why you drove to such a secluded desolate area. Then like a mirage you see a moai entrance sign and turn in to see a tiki civilization that is thriving and a total self sustained refuge from the outside world. The vintage trailer we rented from Amy was decked out with everything we needed and it was cool waking up inside each morning to the nostalgic decor wondering how many wanderers and locations that mobile canned ham had visited. The Mermaid Lounge bar area was a modern marvel of carvings, lights, art and visual effects. The A frame stage was not missing a detail which im sure took alot of man hours of design and construction. The food at the luau was ono and the hula dancers were entertaining all the way down to the fire dancer. Tikiyaki Orchestra once again created the perfect mood & soundtrack for Mojave Oasis. The 3 new songs we heard from the upcoming album sounded incredible and left us wanting more. Mahalo to everyone involved in making this inaugural event such a fun success. My only suggestion is that if Rory wears Caltrans orange again we put him to work picking up trash around the campsites.

HEAR!HEAR!
What a Great weekend!

Amy,you've created an Oasis for the Ohana that is hard to describe unless one experiences it!
Thank you for your big heart and selfless nature...

Such a blur of Architecture,Vintage delights,Art and music!
I felt one of those kids on Pinocchio's Pleasure Island (pre-donkey ears,of course!)

Walking around ,hearing the bands,experiencing the magic and delight at night with all the lights and beautiful moon......

add to that 150 friends and drinks aplenty,and you've got a party that is UNMATCHED!

Thank you Amy for gathering together some of the most talented folks in Tiki and setting them loose to do what they do best...

You have created something that that is bigger than all of us
You've given us Paradise!

Where else can you have 100 plus people drunk at one time
and not an unkind word or fight to be seen or heard the whole weekend?
only the joyful laughter of friends and Ohana!
Now that's an accomplishment!

Amy,Ray,Ben,Buzzy,TikiRay,Danny,Rory,WooHoo,Chris,etc etc....
(i could go on for an hour)
Thank you all-It gladdens my heart to see that,even in this age of technology
and convenience,that humans can still organize and create beautiful things
with just brains,perseverance,sweat,and muscle...

It seems like all involved put their heart into it,and it showed...

and to all those i was able to talk and laugh and drink with....
Thank you...your hugs and chats and neighborly,friendly interactions
were a welcome retreat from studio and work!

All you Trailer and tent crawl hosts-What a blast! Thanks for welcoming and hosting us all with yummy drinks and magical gatherings!

Mojave Oasis was less of an event and more of a 150 plus person party
that just so happened to last 3 days...
Thank you,Amy and Ray,for letting me be a part of this
and for letting my paintings live in the bar with creations by MadDogMike,TikiDiablo,Benzart,TikiRay,BambooBen,Buzzy,and so many other living legends in the community!

i'm just gonna stop now,before i gush any further...

VIVA MOJAVE OASIS!!!

T

Deborah and I had a wonderful time! We were called "newbies" all weekend but we were treated like seasoned veterans because everyone was so nice, classy, and respectful. We're now looking around for a well seasoned canned ham or airstream or something that has a soul and look forward to seeing everyone soon!

Hey, dig my new handle!

Un-freakin'-believable. I bow to the Queen. What a weekend? Everything, and everybody was perfect. The planning and organization, time and effort that Amy, Chris and everybody else that contributed was superb. Couldn't have been better. The stage and grass area, really cool. The bar, WOW! The tent and trailer sites could not have been better.

I really like the smaller events. One gets a chance to actually meet and talk to people. Everybody is so cool. And this one was the best. Sorry Rory

Can't wait 'till November. Can we come back next weekend?

Long live the Queen!!!

I had a fantastic time thank you Ray and Amy, Chris and everyone who put so much hard work, time and talent into Mojave Oasis. I want it to be longer like 4-5 days! It was so fun putting a Rig together for the event and also to enjoy it as the years go bye. There was so much to do to get the Rig ready, from water lines & propane lines and putting breaker boxes in (the outside paint was done) to "Tiki-ing" it up that was the most fun of all :)
Off to Mojave Oasis we went, for those who asked, we got about 12 MPG on the way there but 7 MPG in the winds on the way home with the 1965 Olds Vista Cruiser & 1965 Jett Trailer through the desert where I live. We knew that would be the case and we don't care, it's just part of our adventure! Of all our work into the Rig I think my favorite part was hanging the water bag in front of the radiator like my Dad used to do and we made fun of him like "what's that gonna do, it's leaking on the ground Dad and what's 8 ounces of water going to help anyway" For us it truly was like the days of being a kid again, I'm glad for the event and happy I got to go, it was so much fun! Thanks everyone! -K
P.S. I really didn't take pictures of the event I had no camera plus, my lighting ect doesn't do justice, you cant see detail. I hope Tonga Tom & some others will have some for me? Hint... :)

Tonga Hut Since 1958
12808 Victory Blvd. North Hollywood

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2011-04-18 12:40 ]

Z
Zaya posted on Mon, Apr 18, 2011 12:07 PM

Thank You Amy and Ray for the most incredible weekend, and for sharing this amazing place with us!! Here are a few of the pictures that I took over the weekend...

It's not everyday that you see something like this!

Go Rory!

Thank you again for everything!
Zaya

I feel so much better now that I'm no longer a tiki virgin. It was very cool meeting all of the TC folks I've only heard of online. What a bunch of cool people! Everyone was very laid back and no one minded that I passed out on the grass during the Hawaiian show and Tikiyaki Orchestra (I've got to pace myself better). The show was great, but the tent and trailer crawl got the best of me. I have to also mention that I thoroughly enjoyed House of Bamboo and The Smoking Menehunes. The audience wasn't very big for these guys but they played their hearts out and I loved it. Thanks Amy, Chris, Woohoo, Bamboo Ben, Buzzy, Rory and everyone else who worked hard to make Mojave Oasis a big success!

OK, I'll stop raving about how great it was. WOOOOOHOOOOO!

All I can say is WOW!

An event that not only met the build-up and hype but exceeded it. Amy, thanks for a great weekend and all of your amazing hospitality and efforts.

The event mugs were spectacular, thanks to Doug Horne, Squid and Babalu.

And to all of the artists and craftsmen who contributed to make Mojave Oasis a reality, I offer you a standing ovation.

DC

PS. Don't hang out with Kinny after 10:00 PM, it only leads to trouble!

On 2011-04-18 12:07, Zaya wrote:
It's not everyday that you see something like this!

"A dead shark or a stove golf cart!" (with apologies to Herman Melville)

Bear

Big thanks to everyone that made this weekend happen. We had a great time and look forward to the next one. I am in awe of what Queen K and the crew have done on such short notice! I'm still learning how to use my camera but thought a would share a few of the photos I took. Once I sort the rest I will upload them to the net.

What a great place you have there Amy and Ray! Thanks for all the hard work to build us a playground! Our first words coming in the gates were "look how cute it is!". It was great having some time to talk with you both, too and get to know you a little better. I really enjoyed crawl time to get a chance to just relax and chat with those I didn't know well before and to meet a bunch of new folks, too! That's the thing about a smaller group! It works!
Lil Blue had an off the charts good time... I'll look forward to coming back, but no more tent camping for me! This old broad can't handle it! :wink: Going to have to look for a little trailer of my own now. Will post a few pics soon!

Mrs. MadDog wasn't feeling too good this weekend so we hit the sleeping bags early both nites - what was up with the giant fireball over the stage? I missed that :o

Hi All, I just realized this morning that the special Moai mugs Made especially for all the volunteers were not given out, my apologies for that I should have done it yesterday. Today, I couldn't find a list so I thought I would post this here. Tiki Ray, Cindy, Big Ed, Rory, Mike Adler, Jeff & Pattie Crane, Tikipops, and anyone else I have missed, please send me a PM with your info and I will contact you and be sure to get you your mug for all your hard work this past weekend. Thanks again for being part of the event!

Amy

LT

Are there any extra event mugs/shot glasses available for purchase?

yes Roland,but you have to drive there to pick them up
DURING the next MOJAVE OASIS...
:lol:

T

[ Edited by: TikiPops 2011-04-18 15:42 ]

LT

On 2011-04-18 15:38, little lost tiki wrote:
yes Roland,but you have to drive there to pick them up
DURING the next MOJAVE OASIS...
:lol:

If you drive, I'll bring the zipfizzzzzzz.... :drink:

Kudos to our sponsors: PRIMO Beer, Don the Beachcomber, Asombroso Tequila, Frankies Tiki Room, and the Tonga Hut....And thank you to The Picture Show Gallery for their donations of gift certificates for the contest winners!

It was great to see everyone having a good time...the bands, the DJ, all the great creative powers that went into the making of Mojave Oasis and YOU, the HAPPY CAMPERS!!!!

Now looking forward to Tiki Caliente where I can relax, drink and hold down a lounge chair all weekend!!! :P

On 2011-04-18 00:24, Queen Kamehameha wrote:
....Ever since I learned about Newberry springs and lake Loreen I was inspired to Somehow do something today like what Gus Ragosa started so long ago, he was a visionary and an amazing marketeer....
....a special thanks to Sven for reminding us all how cool tiki was, still is today and what it can be...

Amy, THANK YOU! I am in speechless awe. This was one Tiki Shangri-La that went from inspiration to realization in THIRTY SECONDS!

This IS the "Field of (Tiki) Dreams" materialized. The Queen said "Build it and they will come!"

And Bam Bam Ben and Amy's gang of artisans said "Okeee Dokee!", and they did, and there it was:

I am still in a haze:

Was this experience I had just a mirage that rose out of the desert !!???

...or was it the secret garden of some mystic order...

....where you re-unite with all your friends and family,

...and can be a carefree child again?

Well it WAS the land where milk and honey flows!:

...where the choices of intoxicating potions were so plenty...

...that ingenious solutions had to be devised!:

A place were art, music, drink, friends, and nature came together.
It was, simply said, MAGICAL!

Here's a nice before shot from the entry, to back stage then to the bar/lake.

Mahalos to Queen K and Everyone!!!

It was Awesome!

T

Thanx Amy, Ray, and everyone who helped put on this event. Of course the park itself looked amazing,and it brought a new element to this little Tiki microcosm of ours...Camping.
I think the real star of the entire event was the travel trailers and tents, which showed tons of creativity, which seems to be ever present in this community. The trouble people went through to set up their little paradise for 2 days was astounding....all to be torn down and packed away until next time.

The other star is, of course, the park itself...many different works of art, all with their own artist's identity on them,from the bar and stage to the signs, lamps, mugs and shirts, and everything else that was hand built especially for Mojave Oasis.

This will for sure be eye candy for "The New Book of Tiki" in 2060, when the new tiki revival will be documented....we're all be leaving them some great stuff to write about.

Congratulations on the maiden voyage, it was a great one !

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2011-04-18 18:29 ]

A big thank you to Ray, Amy and everyone else who worked so hard to put this event on. The lake and property looked fantastic, I'm blown away you guys got that much done in only 3 months!!! Aloha drive and spirit rocks!

I had a great time getting caught up with new and old tiki friends. I just wish I had not walked in on Ruzic during his "Gentleman" time :o

M

The space gorilla in a canoe;

and at our trailer handing out Monkey Thrust shots-the drink that propelled a Chimp into outer Space!

PS- when did the gorilla escape our campsite?!??!

I'm the most thirstiesterest of all!
TRADER VIC'S stuff for sale on EBAY 1957SPUTNIK
http://shop.ebay.com/1957sputnik/m.html
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2011-04-18 18:58 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 833 replies