Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Mojave Oasis Pictures Pg 46 ! Something new Pg 55

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 833 replies

Hi all, we need a few Helpers for the event, to help with traffic, serving at the event, helping at the bar, and the store. If anyone is interested please email me at [email protected]. We are asking for 4 hours total over the weekend. All helpers will receive a special limited collectible item. Thank you.in advance

DZ

I've got a few questions I couldn't track down answers for: 1). I saw that we can bring portable fire pits, but can't have them on the grass because it will kill the grass. I have one of these 'fire-pits on wheels' & it sits about a foot off the ground - is that OK to use on the grass? If not, is there a non-grassy area close to the tents where we can use it? 2). Will the store/bar be cash only or is it possible to give a credit card & leave one's 'tab' open for the weekend? I plan on drinking a good deal of Primo, y'see... and 3). Since this is on private property, am I correct in assuming no fishing license is required? And will the store have bait and firewood for sale? Mahalo - and can't wait to see y'all on Friday!!

On 2011-04-09 19:54, Doctor Z wrote:
I've got a few questions I couldn't track down answers for: 1). I saw that we can bring portable fire pits, but can't have them on the grass because it will kill the grass. I have one of these 'fire-pits on wheels' & it sits about a foot off the ground - is that OK to use on the grass? If not, is there a non-grassy area close to the tents where we can use it? 2). Will the store/bar be cash only or is it possible to give a credit card & leave one's 'tab' open for the weekend? I plan on drinking a good deal of Primo, y'see... and 3). Since this is on private property, am I correct in assuming no fishing license is required? And will the store have bait and firewood for sale? Mahalo - and can't wait to see y'all on Friday!!

Hello dr z - yes, a fire pit is ok, if you have the room by your tent, not sure what else you are bringing, each spot is 10x15 so you do have room. We will accept cash, check, CC, yes, you can run a tab. On the fishing it is no live bait, the lake has been here for 20 years and I don't want to introduce anything different to the lake, I hope you understand. All fishing is catch and release, you can't take the fish, sorry. :)

Amy

G
GROG posted on Sat, Apr 9, 2011 10:43 PM

Do we need to bring bear repellant?

T

Dr Z. I have one of those fire pits and the radiant heat will kill the grass if you don't have a reflective plate between the pit and the grass. I used to put bricks under the pit and place a sheet metal panel on the below the pit. The radiant heat would trasfer to the plate and the heat would disapate away from the grass. Its a lot of work and there is plenty of non grassy areas for fires. Hope this helps. See ya there.

Bear repellent GROG? For you, I suggest honey :D

Z

My 19 year old female cat has acquired a raging kidney infection (WBCs >37 for those of you who follow that) so we're tied down for the next week. I'm willing to let our camping space for 2 go for 1 event mug and and 1 event shot glass.
PM if that's acceptable to you.
Many Thanks
-Michael Contos

This event looks just awesome. The Ultimate. I am so envious of you attendees!

T

The Woodstock of tiki.
Tikistock.

There's no way we're gonna be able to fit a firepit into our toaster with all the gear we already got. Will there be a communal firepit at the grounds? The boys wanna roast some s'mores, so I may be trying to mooch some fire off of someone!

On 2011-04-10 16:40, Leanalynn wrote:
There's no way we're gonna be able to fit a firepit into our toaster with all the gear we already got. Will there be a communal firepit at the grounds? The boys wanna roast some s'mores, so I may be trying to mooch some fire off of someone!

We will find one for the boys they have to have s'mores!

I am not attending but am curious about somethin'

Is the campsite near the Bagdad Cafe, the Route 66 pit stop and the filming location of the movie Bagdad Cafe (formerly known as the Sidewinder Cafe)?

Is Tony Marsico's House of Bamboo going to be there. I heard faint whispers!

Time for MY self-promotion!!!
I can bring any of my items to Mojave Oasis from my eBay for NO SHIPPING CHARGE site if you buy it online and TELL ME to bring it by Thursday at 6pm. STOCK UP and save on shipping!
http://shop.ebay.com/1957sputnik/m.html

On 2011-04-09 16:32, bigbrotiki wrote:
Stellar looking temple, guys. Can't wait.

Does this mean that the original "Nature Boy" himself, Mr. Sven Kirsten is going!?!? Please be true!

On 2011-04-10 22:43, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:

Is the campsite near the Bagdad Cafe, the Route 66 pit stop and the filming location of the movie Bagdad Cafe (formerly known as the Sidewinder Cafe)?

Mapquest says Mojave Oasis is 4.3 miles away from;
Bagdad Cafe
46548 National Trails Hwy
Newberry Springs, CA 92338

On 2011-04-10 22:43, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:

Yes, The Bagdad Cafe is Very Close!! We have been there....very interesting place :)
Also the The Barn is close too :)

Hittin' the road in less than 100 hours - I'm stoked!!! Haven't done a damned thing today at work except make a list of things to take camping :lol:

Amy, Chris, WooHoo - I don't make any more work for you guys, but maybe you can post a tentative time schedule of events - Bands, Friday Nite Movie, Luau, T'n'T Crawl, etc. I know some of that has already been posted but it's scattered out over 40+ pages of posts :)

On 2011-04-11 12:46, MadDogMike wrote:

Amy, Chris, WooHoo - I don't make any more work for you guys, but maybe you can post a tentative time schedule of events - Bands, Friday Nite Movie, Luau, T'n'T Crawl, etc. I know some of that has already been posted but it's scattered out over 40+ pages of posts :)

Hear, hear! :) maybe on the front page?

J

Detailed itinerary ?? You guys !! :D

Dude(s), there's only going to be 150 of us. In the middle of the desert. At least 30 miles from "civilization".

We can just make things up as we go along. The plan is "there is no plan". That's the beauty of this upcoming weekend.

Surprise me. :)

On 2011-04-11 13:21, JOHN-O wrote:
Detailed itinerary ?? You guys !! :D

Dude(s), there's only going to be 150 of us. In the middle of the desert. At least 30 miles from "civilization".

We can just make things up as we go along. The plan is "there is no plan". That's the beauty of this upcoming weekend.

Surprise me. :)

WooHoo & Cheers to JOHN-O :)

B

Congrats on the sell-out Amy & Co.! Wish i could be out there to play, but hopefully next time.

HAVE A GREAT EVENT!!!

On 2011-04-11 13:57, BigToe wrote:
Congrats on the sell-out Amy & Co.! Wish i could be out there to play, but hopefully next time.

HAVE A GREAT EVENT!!!

Thank you!!!!!!! absolutely!!

On 2011-04-10 23:43, mrsmiley wrote:

On 2011-04-09 16:32, bigbrotiki wrote:
Stellar looking temple, guys. Can't wait.

Does this mean that the original "Nature Boy" himself, Mr. Sven Kirsten is going!?!? Please be true!

Well yes, indeed. Though I am a little apprehensive now that I see that the "Beachcomber" SOPRANOS are gonna be there:

I guess it means we will have protection. :D

Speaking of protection, make sure to bring sunscreen and shade!

Today's weather here in Newberry Springs:

Noon:70 degrees, sunny, with light scattered clouds.

1pm: 70 degrees, sunny, with light scattered clouds.

3pm: 72 degrees, sunny, with light scattered clouds, and light breezy conditions.

Currently: 72 degrees, sunny, light scattered clouds, and light breezy conditions.

Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2011-04-11 17:46 ]

Very Limited and Exclusive to the event!!!!!
Only 16 Shirts and 9 Dresses!!!

3XL's 2L's 4XXL's

Orange and Blue Dresses
Orange 1S 1M 1L 2XL's Blue 1XL 3XL's

2L's 3XL's 2XXL's

Yes, there are pockets on the shirts!

CA

Things are warming up at the Bone Productions Camp Site!

remind me to bring the Visine..

On 2011-04-11 20:31, crazy al wrote:
Things are warming up at the Bone Productions Camp Site!

remind me to bring the Visine..

This looks so cool!

Very nice Al! Can't wait to see it in person.

T

Calling all you dude's & honey's, stop the Cowabunga Bungalow (a rental trailer) 4:20-4:40 Saturday. We're serving up our Pipeline Punch & blast'n some killer tunes too! Bring the little dudes & dudettes, we'll have something for them too. Brah, this is going to be a primo time. Don't get snaked & miss this one. That would be a total wipe-out.

See you all soon,
Mike & Karen

CA

This Stage is so toataly RAD!!!... I'm going to look great up there!...
The BenBuzz! Over the Top! (or is that BuzzBen??)

Hey Ben?? any chance pulling this off???

[ Edited by: crazy al 2011-04-11 21:54 ]

HT

How did you do THAT?

[i]On 2011-04-11 21:53, crazy al wrote:[

Hey Ben?? any chance pulling this off???

Would work mo' bettah on the floating MoJaVe Oasis Bamboo Ben Bamboo Barge....

p.s. can't wait to see the bar!

Here's a Sneak Peek at my hangtag/Limited Edition Mini-Print design for Mojave Oasis!
I'll have over 200 paintings,drawings,and curiosities for you to peruse...
Fifty new paintings that you ain't never seen
at prices that most would label insane or criminal!
Plus, I'll also have a Kissing/Psychiatrist Booth for any who need it! :)
Can't wait to see y'alls there!

Hey Kinny, let us know if your booth ends up on U-Tube, I wouldn't want to miss you dolling out therapy! Wendy

M

Is crazy Al going to streak!?!? Just wonderin'

The Official 1st Mojave Oasis T-N-T Crawl Schedule....WooHooooo!
Friday, April 15

8:00pm-8:20pm -Babalu
8:20pm-8:40pm - JOBU
8:40pm-9:00pm - Mieko

Saturday, April 16

4:00pm-4:20pm- Rum Dog
4:20pm-4:40pm- Tikipops
4:40pm-5:00pm- MrSmiley & Inky
5:00pm-5:20pm- DustyCajun
5:20pm-5:40pm-Red Patti & Tuna Tiki
5:40pm-6:00pm- tld92019

And now, to ad some historic perspective to the area we are gathering in, here is the thread that started it all - for those here who do not know it, and those who forgot:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=31832&forum=1

And if you thought THIS is all there was:

.....here's a little more eye candy about Gus Raigosa's desert Shangri-Las:

Of course, none of this was ever built. Amy, Ben and the Californian Tiki artists she is sponsoring have probably created more Tiki environs than there ever were out there. An amazing, crazy feat, up there with Salvation Mountain and other "out there" desert projects!

Amy said it's all dry desert dirt now, but I think I might go looking for the lost Lake Loreen...

One of the crew here lives next door to the former Lake Loreen. It's a fairly large off road area now, so bring your ATV Sven. The road in front of it is the former landing strip. It's just a bunch of holes with tracks on them.

Checking in with last night and today's weather here at Mojave Oasis:

9pm 60
10pm 54
11pm 56 windy
12am 54 windy
4am 50
7am 44
830am 60
10 am 64 breezy
11am 70 windy
1pm 76 breezy

Still gets a little cold in the early morning, so prepare yourself.
Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2011-04-12 13:09 ]

9pm 60
10pm 54
11pm 56 windy
12am 54 windy
4am 50
7am 44
830am 60
10 am 64 breezy
11am 70 windy
1pm 76 breezy

Still gets a little cold in the early morning, so prepare yourself.
Buzzy Out!

If you sleep in, you'll sleep right past that hour of cold. :).... but with temps in the high 80"s, sould be pretty ccomfortable...bring a sweater just in case :)

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2011-04-12 14:30 ]

On 2011-04-12 09:54, bigbrotiki wrote:
And now, to ad some historic perspective to the area we are gathering in, here is the thread that started it all - for those here who do not know it, and those who forgot:

Sven - I just spent an hour pouring over that thread and all the links. How fascinating to learn about the catalyst that sparked what will now surely be a treasured escape destination for tiki aficionados, AND the home to what will undoubtedly be a legendary annual event! I love that! Thank you for posting it, for those of us who hadn't followed the thread originally.

B

On 2011-04-12 09:54, bigbrotiki wrote:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=31832&forum=1

Amazing thread. All that and Huell Howser atop a volcano, too!! Golllly!!

Roadsidepictures should do a slide show at the Oasis.

S

Buzzy, we are all set to go, just got to throw my stuff in the van. are to going to camp with us? i have a nice fire pit to keep us warm. and a camping fan to keep us cool if needed.

CA

room bring your own Fun!!

Rules are the same as an egg toss...
you break it YOU LOOSE...
longest Toss WINS!!!!!!!!!
the glories of winning is your prize!

Find your own Pith Helmet Yet!

How'bout Your Nutz!?????????

Beginner's tip...
Some A-hole got the great idea to help the Gringos get de Cocos and started running their nuts over a table saw blade set extremely low...

Most Ralph's etc.. will have these jacked up nuts that will not add any favor to your game...
Hint: Most ethnic markets will have untouched nuts... good strong nuts...

happy

A few have asked the question: "Is there going to be food there, or do we need to bring our own?"
Answer: The grill will be open Friday 3-7, Saturday 8-3 and Sunday 8-3, so you don't need to worry about "over-shopping"!!! Oh yeah.....Nothing priced over $5!!!! Now that's affordable!!! And the outpost will be open odd hours to accomodate those with the munchies!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 833 replies