Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Sea Creature of the South Pacific Art Swap ~ Done!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 549 replies

Hey, Wait, those are cookies, I want one...

Cookies? I want cookies, too! lol
Wendy, I just realized that the Bumatay reminds me of Jacob Marley in "A Christmas Carol". (Yesterday we watched the 1951 version with Alastair Sim. The scene with the doorknocker has scared the heck out of me since I was a kid!)
Anywho... I have some actual progress pics...

Progress...

Supplies...
Anyone want to guess?
~kele

GO MO-KE GO...

Hmmmmm?

Kele that looks like a bunch of fun stuff to work with. Cool, Wendy

MDM that's yummmmmm

I put my powder keg mug back in the kiln because it had a few glaze skips on the inside. It come out with more skips than it went in with :( I need to vacuum out my kiln to see if that helps eliminate dust particles and try again.

I tried new coral glaze test tiles at 1:5 orange to pink and 1:10 but not quite right yet. Going to try 1:7 next :)

The mad dog scientist is always working...

T

Happy New Year to all Art Swappers! Look forward to seeing more progress on everyone's pieces, including mine- more updates later this week from me. Mike, Wendy, Hang10, and others, love all of your finished pieces, and look forward to receiving all of them through some kind of clerical error. :)

TikiAno, you may have to take it up with Hang10Tiki if you want ALL the projects, I think he has dibbs on that :lol:

30 days to the end of the Swap, if you have been waiting for the holidays to be over so you can start on your Swap project, it's time to git jiggy wit it!

PS - I just sent out e-mails to everyone on my list. If you are not on the list and want to be, PM me your e-mail address

:)

V

Ahhh! SO much cool stuff! So few days left!

It isn't looking good for me getting time to cook something up. My second art swap crash-n-burn! I gotta stop signing up for these things :(

Henrik "VanTiki"

[ Edited by: VanTiki 2013-01-02 14:30 ]

:cry:

Henrik you don't need to stop signing up, you just need to quit working so much!!! :D

My "secret project" is done. Not so much that it was secret, just that it wouldn't look right until it was finished. Hang10Tiki you were right, it's the Yellow Bellied Sea Snake's Fang mug ~ inspired by the elusive Cobra's Fang. Done with a coral color and texture instead of the original turquoise woodgrain.

I have made more than one project for the Swaps before and let my swap partner choose which one they wanted. That was my plan for this time but I realized that won't work ~ we are scheduled for a secret swap where the recipient doesn't know what they are getting until it shows in their mailbox. Hmmm...

C
cy posted on Thu, Jan 3, 2013 9:27 AM

Nice Maddog, if I'm your swappee you gotta send both.

Mike- that came out great, love the colors.
I guess you will have to flip your giant coin to see which one you send.

Cy- I was just about to reply when I saw your post, you took the words right out of my mouth...

Jon

Sip a drink and get a snake kiss at the same time. That's pretty cut. Your puffer mug puckered up too. Wendy

HT

Mike.
Wow man. Wow.

Seriously. Wow.

You should mold that and do your own run. That's seriously cool, man.

T

Mike, I agree with Cy, and Hang10. I second what Hale Tiki said, I'd love to see that one cast. Love the colors, texture, and design.

Henrik, was looking forward to seeing what you were going to create, I guess I'll just look forward to seeing what new magic you're coming up with next. If you feel a need to exchange with someone, I volunteer. :)

Wendy, if I was drinking, your comment would have made me spit it out, or made it come out through my nose laughing. Good thing I wasn't. Well, maybe it's time I made a drink. Good thinking. Good talk.

T

Mike, by the way, whatever proportions you used mixing up that coral glaze, it's absolutely on point- love it.

Z

amazing!

C
cy posted on Fri, Jan 4, 2013 6:01 PM

After stewin' for a few days I admit I'm a bit ticked and am just going to say it. If you can't come through on doing a swap then don't sign up. We all have other things going but this is a fun way to connect with other TCers and to bogue on the commitment is to me disappointing.

I want to say this without offending anyone... I will probably fail... my viewpoint... no need to "sign up" for the art swap. If you present a finished piece by the deadline, you are in... If you do NOT present a finished piece by the deadline, you are out...
Enough said...
My progress continues... (I really like my ellipses...)
~kele

C
cy posted on Fri, Jan 4, 2013 7:50 PM

A point well taken Kele.

That is the nice thing about this Swap format ~ it's OK to express interest but it doesn't commit you to anything. Sometimes life happens and you just can't get a project together that you are happy with. In the end we just draw from the projects that are finished.

Hale, I tried 2:1, 1:1, 1:2, 1:5, 1:10 and ended up using 1:7.5 :D

If you are working on something I think we would all love to see the process. If you don't finish in time well then you just don't swap. The fun part is watching each other. I think MadDogMike makes more than one thing so that we keep coming back to see what has been done. Thanks Mike, Wendy

Wendy, inspiration struck again! I wonder if I have time to finish a 3rd project before the end of the month :lol:

Working title: "Sea Menehune's Slow Rider"
:music: All my friends know the Slow Rider :music: :music:

Whatever that is I know it will be great. Wendy

25 DAYS LEFT!!!

Thank you Wendy, more progress

Some sort of Sea Slug!?

MDM, it's friend for Gary, SpongeBob SquarePants pet snail!
~kele

C
cy posted on Sun, Jan 6, 2013 4:42 PM

I certainly should have thought more before I pressed the submit button a few days ago but I can't go back and un-ring that bell. I am very pleased with the people involved in this swap and should not have concerned myself with those that aren't. Sorry to bring down the mood and it won't happen again.

A multi-media piece to fit the subject matter "Fishsticks" was made from bass wood for the fish and spear tips, green gardening bamboo for the shafts, old barn wood for the frames and screen printed t shirt material for the petroglyphs.

Cy you have created a beautiful piece. MDM sea slug or??? Wendy

MDM- 3 pieces???? 3???? Go ahead and make the rest of us feel like slackers.
Looks way cool
OK, you can send me all 3

CY- AWESOME once again. You have my address, so, send it over.

Cy~ Your's looks GREAT!

Finally some visible progress

~kele

Cy - "Fish Sticks", great title :lol: Love the look of that piece in living color.
MoeKele - it's certainly looking very sea-ish :D

T

Mike, can't wait to see more progress. And to hear the rest of the lyrics to the War song. :) Cy, cool piece. Waiting for mug to get bisque fired, but should still be on schedule to be finished on time, if not slightly early. For now I'll just keep an eye for all of the cool work everyone's posting....

Happy New Year all!

Just as an update my sea turtle platter dried beautifully over xmas break at school and should be going into the kiln for its greenware fire by the end of the week. I want to glaze it in a way that the color is darker in the carving than the rest. Is it really as easy as painting it on and wiping it off? Please advise, time is tight-ish and I don't want to screw it up and disappoint anyone. (Not that anyone's REALLY looking forward to getting my piece as compared to some of the amazing creations I am seeing. You guys rock!)

~Lori

Kele you and MDM are keeping us guessing. Wendy

Yes, Lori, you can paint a glaze on and wipe it off, leaving residual in the nooks and crannies. Of course you start with a darker glaze, then put a lighter semi-transparent glaze over it. If you use an opaque or semi-opaque glaze, it covers everything up. If your firing schedule permits, it's always better to try some different combinations first :)

My pieces are dry and ready to go into the kiln tomorrow. Then to finish with some underglazes, clear glaze, mother of pearl luster, sculpty clay, sand, plaster, ribbon and who knows what else! :D

WMoK-
What's it going to be? Hmmmm

T

Mike, are those the ONLY other things you're adding? :)

T

Further progress on the "Narwhals of the (North) South Pacific" Mug. I admit the Marquesan face on the Narwhal makes it look slightly like Charlie the Tuna pre-glazing. After bisque firing, it looked like this:

Cleaned up the piece by sanding down a few of the edges. After blowing out all of the clay dust, started glazing. While normally I try to use a single glaze on the exterior, I went with a few different glazes on the exterior AND interior of the cup. Due to the time frame (and not having my own kiln, and no test tiles for some new glazes) I took a few chances. Hopefully I didn't screw it up completely. :)

Here's a shot after glazing.

I went with a Light Shino for the outside- the dark brown tones should really come alive around the stone work side- and Mike gave a nice shout-out to that particular glaze on another piece I worked on. I'm pretty stoked with how the interior will look- glazing it was a royal pain, but long brushes and squinting helped getting the job done. Thicker glasses might have helped, too. Next time...

Tikiano,

I'm looking forward to seeing how your glazes look after they are fired. That's always the best part!

Lori

Lookin good

I like Charlie the Marquesan Narwhale! Anxiously awaiting the next pics :)

Less than three weeks to the trade. This has been a fun ride so far. I like every thing I've seen and there is every type of art in the works. Very cute mug Tiki Ano. Thank you MadDogMike for keeping us working. See you soon, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-01-11 13:27 ]

yeah im with wendy it is almost trade time i am really excited lots of
way cool art. :) :drink:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 549 replies