Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Sea Creature of the South Pacific Art Swap ~ Done!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 549 replies

Lovin' the pics :D

Just waiting on 2 more deliveries

C
cy posted on Tue, Mar 26, 2013 9:15 PM

The Maori Maul is a fantastic work of art and already has a place in the coveted green pool room Lucky!

The epic voyages of the Kon Tiki were an added bonus. Worth waiting for Hale Tiki, thanks!

Hale, that Woodblock Print turned out cool too. Is that laser engraved on wood?
That leaves just one package undelivered ~ maybe this week!

I'm hoping photos of my art in its new home will show up here since I know it did arrive safely.
Hale Tiki, wow that's a big club. Very nice.
Wendy

HT

Yay!
I'm glad you got it, Cy!

Here's the background on why it's late. When I was putting the two pieces together, I wasn't happy with the joint, but had too many other details to obsess over, along with the other 10 projects I'm working on. So I ignored the small gap, despite not being too happy about it. I figured it'd be supported well enough by the binding anyway. The club was originally bound with rope, that had wood glue applied under each layer. I wasn't happy with the way it looked when it was finished. The rope looked off, but in the interest of time, figured I'd change it up in REV 1.

Shipping day rolls around, and I've got bubble wrap and packing tape galore. I'm wrapping it up real tight, when I hear a forboding crack. I figured it was just that little gap, no biggie, so I continue to tape, when I hear another crack in the other direction. I unwrapped just the top half to have the maul drop down, and unravel some of the rope. I had broken the weak joint.

It did, however, turn out to be quite fortuitous. I was able to make a better, stronger joint, and in the mean time, went at lunch to a local craft store and wandered aimlessly until I figure out the perfect material to wrap it with. I started out with leather, then suede, but wasn't happy with either. I got some caning, and thought it'd look out of place. Eventually, I settled on finding a big thing of raffia. I wasn't 100% on the raffia, but I had to get that sucker out! I get it all back to work, and fiddle around until the end of the day. At some point, I decided it'd be cool to make raffia rope. So I did. I'm very happy with how it turned out, and will be using the giant bunch of raffia again.

The wood plaque was to make up for how long it took. I didn't end up making a woodblock, and prints, but figured I might as well make something out of the artwork. The title was an afterthought, but I think it's pretty funny.

Glad you like it all. The weapon looks great on the wall.

Can't wait for the next swap, all!

Aloha!

More beautious swappaliciousness! I also cannot wait til the next swap!
~kele

Where did Wendy's mug go?

:(

T

Pikeys Dog, thanks so much! The beautiful lamp made it ALL the way here in perfect condition. I was out of town a few days, missed its delivery. I'll take some photos of it in its new home later today. Thinking ahead, there was no plug on the end of the cable, so I'll add a(n appropriate) plug for it to work in the States. It's a great piece- love all of the details on all of the sides. I think Pikey Dog's piece traveled the furthest in this swap? (England to San Diego)?

Thanks for posting - I was starting to worry a little, as I posted some other items to the US around the same time and they arrived much sooner...

I would have fitted a plug, but you might have struggled a little to get it to fit your sockets (LOL).

Glad your happy with the piece.

Cheers,

Joe.

Wondering if mine ever made it to its destination?

Aloha station
Page 34 ...

Thank you hang10tiki, you always look after me. Tabu where are U? Wendy

Thanks - don't know how I missed that??

T

Sorry for being so late for posting a pic of the great lamp I received from Pikeys Dog. It came (appropriately) without a US Edison plug attached, so I stopped at the hardware stop and grabbed a quick plug. I should have looked at the cable first, the easy-plug was made for super thin gauge cable. I got it to connect, the light turned on. I figured it'd be safer to put a real plug on the lamp so now I have to run back to the shop to buy the real deal. In any case, here it is (temporarily) on one of my mug shelves.

I will post a few more pics of the lamp- each side is unique and the overall blue glaze is awesome. Thanks again Pikeys Dog!

T
Tabu posted on Wed, Apr 3, 2013 5:05 PM

Finally found the camera. The last few weeks have been mad. Thanks again Wendy. I love everything, the glazes are beautiful. sorry for the delay in posting. Really happy to own some of your work.

Thank you TikiAno and Tabu, I think that wraps up this Swap! Thank you all so much for participating ~ great art exchanged and new friendships made :)

If no one else volunteers to head the next Swap, I will get one going in late Spring to finish the week before Tiki Oasis in August

The swap has now passed into history, but it is a time that will not be forgotten by those who have experienced, who have lived it, who have experienced the grandeur which is the Tiki Central Sea Creatures of the South Pacific Art Swap. It will live forever in our hearts and in our minds!
~kele

The last two pieces look awesome...

Thanks again Mike
I think we need to keep you as the Grand Poo-bah of Art swaps...

Jon

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2013-04-03 19:44 ]

Here's my art swap piece in it's new home:

It looks great in the hut. Thanks again Cy!

It looks wonderfully happy in it's new home!
~kele

I just remembered to check this thread. Thank you Tabu for posting 10 days ago. It's fun to see you with all the necklaces around your neck. I've saved the photo for my own files too. Cheers, Wendy

PS MadDogMike you are a keeper

C
cy posted on Mon, Apr 15, 2013 8:16 AM

Thanks for posting Lori, it looks good in the hut!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 549 replies