Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Sea Creature of the South Pacific Art Swap ~ Done!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 549 replies

Got some time this weekend to start my project. It will be a Sea Anenamie. Mostly done on the lathe but I will add some carved accents soon.

MDM, I've been enjoying your progress shots, VERY creative!

Alohastation, that looks so cool!

I have a plan & have been gathering supplies. I hope to get physically started this week.
~kele

T

"John, I picked up a coil (20 feet) of that fuse online several years ago but looks like it is still available. I didn't see any restrictions on who they sell to except that it has to be sent USPS ground
http://www.firingsystems.us/Cannon-Fuse-s/41.htm "
Yeeessss,

Thanks Mike, Hey no fuse stain!
And your mugs looks great.
Very creative.

C
cy posted on Sun, Dec 2, 2012 3:41 PM

Very different and creative Mad Dog it looks just like the sketch! Aloha you are setting the bar too high, a thing of beauty out of a log!

I love it Aloha, can't wait to see how you carve it up.

TikiSkip, don't blow anything up! :lol:

T

Mike, your piece looks amazing! The tako powder keg handle is 2x amazing. I hope to start on mine early next week. My design is done, now just have to get some time in w/ the clay.

Aloha, this will be kool to watch unfold

HT

Before I begin.

Witco style carving of a creature.

Should I do shell eyes or carved eyes?

I think that if you are going to stay true to the Witco style you would have to use carved eyes but I see no reason why you can't have a Witco/PNG fusion :)

HT

Oh. Mother of Pearl. Should have specified.

I've seen a few Witco pieces with the MOP before. Not sure if that was legit since I still don't have a copy of tiki modern, but I like the idea of a PNG-Witco piece. One with more PNG than the Abelam he did. A real half and half.

I may just borrow that, Mike!

T

Potential artistic inspiration/ material for "(Deep) Sea Creatures of the South Pacific"?

http://news.yahoo.com/filmmaker-cameron-expedition-finds-weird-deep-sea-life-215833028.html

:)

C
cy posted on Sun, Dec 9, 2012 6:51 PM

This is more of a sea creatures of the south pacific as used for sustenance piece with some carved fish on the end of bamboo spears and three screen printed, framed petroglyph looking panels in between.

I quickly sketched these petros small, then will blow up on a copier to fit each frame. They will take on a jagged, primitive look the more I enlarge. The turtle will be on top printed on green fabric, the spear fisherman will be middle on a red/orange background and the fish will be printed on purple.

cy, likin' the concept, waiting to see where you take it
~kele

Very cool Cy, is it going to be a pain to ship?

I'm still in and enjoying all the in-progress photos. I'm trying to finish up some projects before I start this one. Wendy

C
cy posted on Mon, Dec 10, 2012 8:09 AM

As I look at the pictures MadDog I'm thinking you are right, and will start over with a scaled down version.

CY- I think it would look kool if ya shipped it with the bamboo sticking out of the bottom of the box,
and the fish sticking out the top...Not sure if it would make it to its destination though... :)

I think I drew the center face on 20 times before I got what I was looking for.
Wood burning this morning...

Next is stain choices for the non-HONU areas.

Yeah Cy, very cool design and it would look awesome on the wall. But I would hate to see you try to ship that to England or Australia :)

Jon, I LOVE IT!!!

My Powder Keg survived the bisque firing. I expect I will do at least 2 graze firings.

Mike,

Your mug looks AMAZING! Seriously gorgeous.

I made my first attempt at a small platter today. It was WAY harder than I anticipated. I learn something new everytime I work with clay. :::grumble, grumble:::::

I have a love/hate relationship with making ceramics.

Lori

Mike- Thanx
Your mug is lookin SWEET...

Looking good everyone.

All I can say is I have an idea, a title (Merry Time), and am swamped making xmas presents right now. Once the holidays are over I will begin.

Wow wow wow!!!

I just got it Badd. Merry Time = Maritime! I'm a bit slow sometimes :lol:

T

Mike love that mug!!

Went to a gun show over the weekend and found red
cannon fuse.
BUT... if that gun show is a cross section of what the world will
be when it's all commin to an end, count me out.

This is so Mad Dog Mike!

TC's resident mad scientist at work: changing the game on a continuing basis.

Forcing evolution where there would be stagnation.

update:

Thanks Robb :)
Jon, that stain really accentuates the texture and sets off the "tattoos" ~ perfect!

"Catch and release, it's tough when you use a spear"
Personally, I believe in "Fillet and release"
Pirate Ship Tree House

EDIT - spelling

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2012-12-13 06:28 ]

C
cy posted on Wed, Dec 12, 2012 9:05 PM

Fine pieces of aquatic art MadDog and H10!

V

What?!
It is December already?!
I gotta get busy on a swap piece! Hope to get on it after xmas - too much day job stuff at the moment. Love what is being made so far!

Henrik "VanTiki"

T

MDM, that barrel mug is epic! Love it. Henrik, I can't wait to see what you create.... I'm starting work (and will post photos) on Monday for my piece. Thanks to all for posting the progress, super talented bunch here on TC. :)

I started my first attempt at this project, not sure this will be the final one though. I'm no artist but I do appreciate being allowed to swap with such a talented group of REAL artists!

I'll post my humble first attempt if I can get the picture off my phone.

On 2012-12-12 18:08, hang10tiki wrote:
update:

wOw! So coo!
~kele

On 2012-12-13 17:00, LoriLovesTiki wrote:
I started my first attempt at this project, not sure this will be the final one though. I'm no artist but I do appreciate being allowed to swap with such a talented group of REAL artists!

I'll post my humble first attempt if I can get the picture off my phone.

Lori,
I have been so honored to be allowed to participate in these swaps. The welcoming of all of these fabulous artists has been one of the BEST and most rewarding experiences of my life! You are welcome here. ALL are welcome here.
~kele

On 2012-12-13 17:12, WaikikianMoeKele wrote:

...You are welcome here. ALL are welcome here.
~kele

Power to the artists ~ Right On! :D

Here's a TravJones-style teaser pic :D

MDM and CY- thanx, glad you like
VAN TIKI ans TIKIANO- can wait to see what you two come up with
LORI- Post the pics of your project for us
MO KELE- THANKS
MDM- hmmmmm, sea snake???

I signed (more wood burning) the back of my piece with some bamboo lettering I saw online...

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2012-12-14 20:06 ]

You're pretty handy with that wood burner Jon!

Thanx Mike
This was the 2nd time I used it
The 1st project didn't come out very well
So I was a little nervous when I plugged it in...

Needs a grey antiquing wash and some clear satin glaze. Could be done as early as Monday morning

Mike Love the glaze on the tentacle
Hang10 the turtle looks awesome love the space
around the turtle really makes the turtle pop out
Cy I cant wait to see more, way cool idea

As for me i finished my painting last night,
Acrylic and enamel on montana spray paint
on a 12 x 12 canvas
"The humuhumunukunukuaapua'a's last night out."

Anthony Maye

[ Edited by: anthonymaye 2012-12-16 11:05 ]

[ Edited by: anthonymaye 2012-12-16 11:06 ]

Awesome Anthony!

Anthony & Jon are done, the rest of us have about 6 weeks left :)

Anthony- sweeeeet
MDM- lookin kool

Thanks Kele and Hang Tiki and everyone, you are so kind!!!!

Here's what I'm currently working on. It may or may not be my swap piece.

It's plate/small platter kind of thing. I've been wanting to make some useable ceramic pieces for my tiki space, plates or platters for food etc. We'll see how it comes along.

Much like when I was making the volcano godess the students who have seen me work with ceramics get a big kick out of seeing me working on them and they're always quite complimentary, lol!

Kool
My favorite topic

T

Teaser preview: one page, one of a few rough sketches. There will be a bit more going on in the actual mug. The "Eye of the Narwhal" is still under review. Alternate title: "Narwhals of the (North) South Pacific."

Lori, looks great. We'll be watching for progress pics.
Tiki Ano, I see you've chosen the Unicorn of the Sea ~ magical!

My Powder Keg mug still has a couple of glaze skips inside so it needs to go back in the kiln this week. The back was a little boring so I added a patch of runny green glaze hoping to look like algae. I'm not impressed but it didn't mess it up so that's good :D I still have one more thing to try before I take the final "glamor shot"

I just realized I meant to put 2013 on the bottom since that's when the swap actually happens. Oh well :roll:

Mike-
That's ok
That masterpiece was made in 2012

Plus I did the same thing
Lol

Jon

T

Well, worked a few hours today off of my original sketch (no, not the one I posted earlier) to start workin' on the entry for the Art Swap. Excited that I got to use my new extruder die for ease-of-mug-construction-operation. Here's a bit of a step by step:

-Step 1: Extrude a cylinder (okay, I did extrude a bunch today):

• Step 2: Keeping the cylinder straight for a large mug is interesting, especially since I've yet to extrude something of this width and length. Took a few tries, but ended up w/ a few good ones.

-Step 3: To keep up w/ my original idea, I borrowed a groovy stone stamp to roll my form around to give some texture (I was going for a midcentury modern living room feel one on side of the mug. This is what the stamp sheet looked like:

-Step 4: My first attempt of rolling a cylinder around the form worked great (the second not so good, so I used the first try to begin work on the mug). Here's the look of the back of the mug. I left some room for the front of the mug w/o the stamp, where I was going to add more details.

-Step 5: My (no longer a) surprise was to have a (Northern) South Pacific Narwhal on the inside of the mug, breaching the bottom. Since I extruded a cylinder I had to build this into the base of the bottom prior to attaching the base. Does that make sense? Here's the tip of the head prior to attaching it to the mug base. I punched a hole to let some air in for better attachingness. No double entendres were intended when writing this step by step. Thank you.

-Step 6: Attach to base, then base to bottom of mug (no photos).
    -Step 7 Work on the exterior. First I worked on the bamboo-looking frame to "label" the mug. I will re-etch the letters as the clay firms up. Then I started adding the Narwhals, one on each side underneath the frame. In this pic the frame is up and I roughed in the sea creatures before fully scoring and slipping them onto the mug.

-Step 8: Attach left sea creature slash narwhal, then the right one.

I will trim a bit of excess off the top of the mug. (I started to, thus the cut lines visible in some of the pictures. I have to wait for it to firm up a bit, then wait for it to slowly dry out, as well as work on glaze options. The interior of the mug will be blue (since the sea creature will be underwater, with a different glaze on the interior Narwhal head and horn).

Look forward to seeing everyone else's progress! Sorry for the long post.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 549 replies