Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Sea Creature of the South Pacific Art Swap ~ Done!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 549 replies

Mike- Severed head mug?

Jon

HT

MDM, that's one of the ugliest damn fish I've ever seen.

C
cy posted on Mon, Feb 4, 2013 8:12 AM

Tabu, great job, love the layers!

T

Pikey, awesome piece.
Zero, super cool- though looks better than it tastes.
Mele, lookin' sharp! :wink:
Trader Tom, great ones- love keeping the horizontal lines throughout the piece/ across the seahorse, etc.
Hang10.... hysterical.
Tabu, completely awesome- can't wait to see what comes next.

HT

Thoughts? Not sure where to go from here with the design.

Very stark & omnious Hale! Looks like Kon Tiki is in a buttload of trouble. I like it like it is, not sure what else you would add.

Yes, that is one ugly dead fishhead. But I it is the same shape as the humuhumunukunukuupa'a (aka the Reef Triggerfish) Maybe a little paint?

G
GROG posted on Mon, Feb 4, 2013 10:57 AM

How about Superman to the rescue? Everything is better with Superman.

HT

On 2013-02-04 10:57, GROG wrote:
How about Superman to the rescue? Everything is better with Superman.

Hey GROG, even better, how about I add in one of Dan's Chocolate Chip Cookies?

G
GROG posted on Tue, Feb 5, 2013 3:11 PM

That cookie is better suited in GROG belly.

Get with the program GROG!

:D Hale, don't listen to the GROG!

G
GROG posted on Tue, Feb 5, 2013 7:47 PM

It just keeps getting better.

Grog wins

C
cy posted on Tue, Feb 5, 2013 8:12 PM

Now you know better then to ask for suggestions Hale.

HT

On 2013-02-05 20:12, cy wrote:
Now you know better then to ask for suggestions Hale.

Yes, I know that it is better to always ask! Hahahahaha

HELP!!!!

I glazed my dish and it came out of the kiln not the way I expected it to. I know I should have done a test first but I didn't....

First off it's matte, not shiny. I didn't even know we had those glazes. Secondly, it's all splotchy. What I was going for was darker on the turtle and then lighter for the rest, which I kind of got. But the light parts are all blotchy and so not looking like the images on the manufacturer's website!

Ugh! I don't really have the time to create something new, although I might try but if even if I don't swap this piece I'd like to fix it, if that's possible. Thoughts? (besides how ugly it is)
The art teacher I work with likes it and thinks it looks "rustic." I hate it. He suggested just a clear glaze to make it shiny. I'm thinking more of a glossy semi transparent glaze but what color? Is it possible to sand off some of the glaze around the turtle to make the background more even? I suppose I could just give that a try.

Thanks for looking.
:(
Lori

HT

mask off the turtle, hit it with super fine grit sandpaper?
That would be my choice, but then again, I know nothing about ceramics.

I can't help on this,
But I know a few who should jump in with answers soon...

Ps- I'm a Honu fan and think its cool

Jon

LoriLovesTiki you have lots of choices. I can't tell if this is a turtle or water color, on my screen it looks gray. I've had pieces that had to be glazed 4 times firing each time. All you have to do is scrub it really well so that there's not a speck of dust and then paint it again with more glaze. You don't want the glaze so thick that it runs if you do one color for he turtle and one for the background. It's a really good looking piece. Wendy

Love the design Lori. Reglazing is your best option. It would be nearly impossible to grind any glaze off, it's as hard a glass. You can reglaze with a few more coats of the same colors or put a light, single transparent color over all of it but the blotches will probably still show through.

Don't lose heart Lori - the technical aspect of ceramics can be challenging, there are so many variables and some seem out of our control. Some glazes are really hard to get even coverage, especially on large areas. Wider brushes seem to help get glaze on more evenly, as do multiple coats applied in different directions. Keep up the good work and good luck ~ HAVE FUN!!!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Feb 6, 2013 9:54 AM

You probably didn't put three full coats of glaze on, or you watered down your glaze. It will come out matte and splotchy instead of shiny if you water it down. If you want it to look like the color in the catalog, put a few more coats on it and fire again. If you have an airbrush or a sprayer you'll get more even coats and can get rid of the splotches. To bring the Turtle out, after you've fired it again,( and if the color is right that time) put black glaze over the turtle, when it dries, use a sponge and gently wipe down the surface so that the black is retained in the crevices, and fire again.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Feb 6, 2013 9:56 AM

You probably didn't put three full coats of glaze on, or you watered down your glaze. It will come out matte and splotchy instead of shiny if you water it down. If you want it to look like the color in the catalog, put a few more coats on it and fire again. If you have an airbrush or a sprayer you'll get more even coats and can get rid of the splotches. To bring the Turtle out, after you've fired it again,( and if the color is right that time) put black glaze over the turtle, when it dries, use a sponge and gently wipe down the surface so that the black is retained in the crevices, and fire again.

When Grog tells you something twice, he means it...

When GROG tells you something twice, he means it...

He always tells me twice. So cute.

Thanks everyone. You're right about not putting 3 coats of the glaze on but that was purposeful. Online it said if you put 1 coat on you got a brown color, 2 coats greenish brown and 3 coats dark green. I wanted the turtle dark green and the rest brownish. I used an underglaze on the fish and seaweed but you really can't see it. I like the idea of adding black and wiping it off to emphasize the turtle after I recify the overall color issue. That's what I was trying to do with the turtle, having a darker green in the carving. I'm not in love with the glaze so I don't know if I'll use the same one or roll the device and go with another more "normal" green. I'm fortunate that I get to fool around with this stuff for free but I don't control the glazes available and it seems there's always something new! Hence, why we don't have many glaze tests around.

Mahalo!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Feb 6, 2013 3:15 PM

Damned Tiki Central. It just about ALWAYS gives GROG a double post. Don't know why.

Good luck Lori.

HT

On 2013-02-06 15:15, GROG wrote:
Damned Tiki Central. It just about ALWAYS gives GROG a double post. Don't know why.

Good luck Lori.

Does GROG have a stutter, maybe?

I think GROG just has an echo since he lives in a cave and all...

GGGG RRR OOO GGGG
G R R O O G
G GGG RRR O O G GGG
GGGG R R OOO GGGG . . . GROG... grog...........

HT

On 2013-02-06 17:47, lunavideogames wrote:
I think GROG just has an echo since he lives in a cave and all...

Ah, you're right. Despite all the tiki trappings of Grog's cave, it still echoes. That explains it.

If Grog drops a Tiki mug in his cave
but no one is around to hear it
does it make a noise?

HT

We can do more than one, right?

EDIT: I just stumbled across a bunch of Maori and Marquesan patterns, and I'd love to make another piece.

[ Edited by: Hale Tiki 2013-02-07 14:05 ]

Grog has taken over this thread - is he participating or just being a tourist?

T

Grog so nice he says it twice.
Grog so nice he says it twice.

I think he should make something cool for da swap

I think he should make 2 cool things for da swap

Jon
Jon

G
GROG posted on Fri, Feb 8, 2013 10:41 PM

On 2013-02-08 14:39, hang10tiki wrote:
I think he should make something cool for da swap

------Sorry Hanging10", not gonna happen.----

I think he should make 2 cool things for da swap

------Definitely not gonna happen.--------

HT

On 2013-02-08 22:41, GROG wrote:

------Definitely not gonna happen.--------

Come on, guys. Do you know how hard it'd be to ship one of GROG's cave drawings? First he'd have to chisel out that part of the cave wall. Then he's have to use a TON of packing peanut. Cave walls aren't light weight. And that many packing peanuts would just be too expensive.

It's okay GROG, we understand.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Feb 9, 2013 11:32 AM

Exactly. Thanks Hale.

Z

And Pterodactyl same day shipping? COSTLY.

~Z.

T

Finally got the re-glazed NOTNSP mug (Narwhals of the North South Pacific) fired. The added color did "stick" to the original mug (was a little worried about this, as it's a shared high fire kiln). The lime green/blue combination works. If you're interested you can always scroll back a few pages to see the original look, but here's the latest version:

The interior of the mug (w/ the breaching Narwhal horn) changed slightly in color (barely visible in photo):

I also glazed and am waiting to fire the tile that may be part of the Swap, too:

All the best to all, look forward to participating in this swap- and huge thanks to MDM for organizing!

TikiAno, those colors definitely "pop" more ~ very nice! :)

Update: I reglazed my piece using the same color on the turtle itself to hopefully even out the coloring and a different green on the background. I did rub a bit of black into the carved parts of the turtle shell too. The kiln is getting turned on first thing tomorrow morning so I should know the results end of the day or at the latest the next morning. It's on the top shelf so if the lid gets opened at the end of the day I might get to peek in.

I can't beleive how nervous I am! fingers crossed.....

Ano- cool color
Lori- fingers crossed for u

Jon

Like an expectant father :lol:

Stage.........um....Whatever! it's Done!

Our friend seems to be in a bit of trouble.... I'm sure it will end all right.

"What's so bad about being slightly drunk?"

"Ask a glass of water."

~Zero

Zero in the house
Awesome

Jon

C
cy posted on Wed, Feb 13, 2013 2:01 PM

Great work Tiki Ano and Zero!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 549 replies