Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

New Go Tiki Ceramics ( Goto Pg. # 37 )

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 559 replies

GT

Some new stuff I have been working on, Soon to be mugs! The first is: " Love Monkey #9 " The predecessor to Go Tiki - " Mambo Loves Tiki " the next is: " The Sacrifice Is Great " I'll show you the finished work after molding and glazing, What you think? Oh! Another cool lamp coming soon! Mahalo! Gogo

Right-up your alley Jonesey!

Next:

Look at my lamps on page #16 :)

[ Edited by: GO TIKI 2008-08-20 18:27 ]

The moai lamp turned out awesome. Look forard to seeing the new mugs when they are glazed up.

Jeff

OhMan!
that Monkey is cool!!
i like the tribal mask he's got there.
nice stuff!
cool lamps aswell

B

bump

Great work you two! :)

GT

Thank You! Tiki Duddy, Gonegoannas-Jeff, And Babalu - Right back at you, Great work too!

Some new stuff:

The first is a different glaze combination of the first lamp I made
The second is a different glaze color and the GO-T Moai lamp has a Go Tiki pendent
The third is a small scale GO-T Moai lamp, I might make a mug like this too!

Our finished "The Sacrafice Is Great" Glaze by Dani AP mugs, We did the glaze in like a "Gecko" look black and lava and a multi-brown and lava colors, I'll let you all tell me which colors you like the best, And I'll go with that!

I made a cool Blow-Fish mug for Dani

What You Think? Thanks all for looking at my post, Mahalo! Gogo

The black Sacrifice looks cool but the high gloss black hides all the great detailing. How about a low gloss like Duncan Courtyard?

GT

Thanks for your response MadDogMike, I agree, I don't care for the black much myself, This is a Mayco Black Satin glaze, I usually mix a lot of my own glazes, I just can't seem to ever get the black the way I want it! I'll look into the Duncan glaze and give it a try, Thank You! Mahalo! Gogo

On 2008-08-30 12:22, MadDogMike wrote:
The black Sacrifice looks cool but the high gloss black hides all the great detailing. How about a low gloss like Duncan Courtyard?

[ Edited by: GO TIKI 2008-08-31 22:46 ]

GT

Hi All, Instead of using sculpting tools. I decided to make a pinch clay mug, Just using my fingers and finger nails! I think if I mold it and glaze it, It might turn out cool! Mahalo! Gogo

T
teaKEY posted on Sat, Sep 6, 2008 6:07 AM

This is one of my favorite mugs of yours. For me the process for an artist is as important as the result.

I just signed up for a beginner's ceramics course at the community college and we're making pinchpots now, somehow mine don't look much like yours :lol:

Great job!

Anything worth doing, is worth doing to the point of wretched excess.

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2008-09-06 06:45 ]

B

Way to Go Go you two...! can't wait to see more.

GoGo,

Any idea when you will get to that King Kamehameha mug I requested? Mahalo.

GT

I Finally found a great glaze and lamp combo, Lamp Shades are going to be from "deadlynightshades.com" Vintage look fiberglass shades, And A high fire green molted glaze, This is how my new Moai lamps will be, I think it turned out great! If you want one let me know!

Also check out a Go Tiki "Tiki Torch" mug in action! SoccerTiki having a good time! I don't indorse anyone catching there drinks on fire!, Be carefull!, Teakey we are using Bacardi 151, Not tiki torch fluid!

What you think? Mahalo! Gogo

[ Edited by: GO TIKI 2008-09-15 20:32 ]

[ Edited by: GO TIKI 2008-09-15 20:33 ]

B

Hey D & G...Nice blue. Here is another cool Site for lamp shades... http://www.moonshineshades.com/

GT

Thanks Babalu, Pretty cool shades too!

GT

Thanks to Holden!, We have been working on a volcano bowl that would serve 10 people, For a So.Cal restraunt, The bowl holds a wooping 160oz -5 quarts! Yikes! The Moai's are inlaid with real New Zealand abalone, Here's our artist proof, Thanks Holden very much appreciated, This bowl would not have never come to be! Mahalo! Gogo

We are going to bring out the sand bottom more to the inside of the bowl, And make the volcano a little bit lighter brown, What you think? Thanks for looking at my post! Gogo

WooHoo!! Looks TIKI-RRIFIC :)

GT

Thanks Whoo-Hoo Karen, Still working on the glaze a bit, Going to make the volcano lighter, The sand wider, The outside browner, Should look cool when done, This is just an idea on how it will look, This is a large project to test glaze! The bowl is well over a foot round! I Need to refine the hut village a little bit, hugs Karen, Gogo

GT

Hey Thanks All! I have had a lot of people wanting a GO-T-Moai lamp, The price is $125.00 including the lamp kit installed, You supply your favorite shade, I suggest DeadlyNightshades.com, I make these in various colors, I'll have some ready to vend at the next invited show! Here is my latest retro look lamp:

Would Look Great In Your Tiki Bar! What You Think? Mahalo! Gogo

[ Edited by: GO TIKI 2008-09-21 01:58 ]

[ Edited by: GO TIKI 2008-09-21 11:58 ]

[ Edited by: GO TIKI 2008-09-21 11:59 ]

[ Edited by: GO TIKI 2008-09-21 12:06 ]

GT

Wow! Who wants to think about the Holiday's all ready! Well I have to, If I want to get a run of 25 plus mugs out of a single mold! In time for the Holidays, Our "Mo-Ho-Ho-Ho" mug - Moai meets old world Santa Claus, Maybe even a Rabi look too! The red, white and black glaze will make this pop! For sure, It will be a fun mug for the Holiday cheer! Here is the sculpt pictures:

Cheers! Gogo

GT

I have noticed in the Tiki World, That there is not much showing for stand alone mugs and ceramics, Unless your Squid! Great showing and what a Grand display of art! Or Crazy Al too! Almost all shows are hung artwork by Great artist, Well I'm not a painter/artist. My canvas is on ceramics as well as Dani, I'm going to move on into the 3D world of art and combine my ceramics into paintings, Though a small example with these plaques, I'm going to move on to some large scale wall art, With my ceramics, I would love to work with Kinny, because he's my friend, Or whoever has the vision that I do? Who knows, I just might buy me some paints and brushes and paint myself! I'm going to be working on a large scale art wall hanging soon, I think 3D art is going to be the next cool thing! I hade this idea for years, Well before mugs where cut in half and then art worked, I just wasn't know enough to be able to approach this idea!

Maori with real New Zealand Abalone:

Kowloon Tiki:

Pineapple Tiki:

I think the plaques would look cool with some paint artist flair!
The Big wall art will look cool, When I finish all the ceramic pieces!

What you think? Gogo

I did have the opportunity to see these in "real life" last weekend and they look very cool.... great idea, I would also like to see the art talents of a few out there add their own touch to the plague. I'd like one with some great surf art myself.

I was lucky enough to score a Moai eye lamp last weekend from GoTiki.. I just ordered a fiberglass shade for it. It's gonna be badass! I'll post a picture soon as the shade arrives. Thanks Gogo & Dani!

as soon as i get some time,I'm headin back to the Gohut
meebee i'll bring squid!
that kowloon fellow is soooo fun!
and keep the volcano bowl as is...
it's perfect!
the volcano lightened might make the huts less readable
keep it!
it's perfect!
wall Art!

Awesome details.

Can't wait to see the 3-D !

You guys are IN for the next BB hut show.

GT

Thanks Kinny, Kelly, and Ben, Looking forward to it Ben, Thanks a bunch!

"Mo-Ho-Ho-Ho" Glazed, Looks pretty cool for an AP, Might change some colors, But close to what I hade pictured in my mind! What you think? Mahalo! Gogo, And thanks all who ordered one all ready! Wow!

[ Edited by: GO TIKI 2008-09-30 18:57 ]

Hi-larious!
great twist on an old standard!
You kids are so FUN!

A

Pretty cool, Go Tiki. But I think I would have left his face stone colored -- gray/brown. For some reason I find that funnier.

Gogo, I have to agree with arriano. I think he looses his "Moainess" when he's not stone colored. What's the plan for him? He'd make a great lamp!

GT

Thanks All, I'll glaze his face in stone, That's why I post my stuff on here to get some input, Thank You! Mike the "Mo-Ho-Ho-Ho" is going to be a mug, Thanks Mike, I appreciate the feedback! Well, I have always admired the Pin-Up art from my Rock-A-Billy days, So I want to craft some Pin-Up hula girl lamps, mugs, and ashtrays, So here is my finished sculpt of my Pin-Up hula girl ashtray to start, After bisque, I think I'll have Dani glaze a bikini or bikini and skirt on her, With of course a hibiscus flower in her hair, What You Think, I'm excited to see this atomic look ashtray glazed! Mahalo! Gogo

Love the ashtray design (although, as a Respiratory Therapist, I can't condone it's use :) ) What is the material? Looks like it has striations like onyx or marble. I've been wondering about using high fired translucent porcelain and marbling it to make faux jade or onyx, will that work?

GT

Hey Mike have you read the warning on clay dust! Just kidding I know, Old habits are hard to break! I used molding clay on the ashtray, I just took the picture when it was sitting outside for a couple of hours, Living by the beach in So.Cal, Often I just leave my finished items sit out and let the sun do the rest, I have used plaster very hard great detail, Wood W/dremil tool, Soap hmm! Wax sometimes hmm! Roma#2 works well, Sculpt clay is soft and hard to work, Best to let it get leathered, I actually use my own method to make clay cylinders for round mugs, Not with the PVC pipe and wrapping with clay, I extrude it! My own secret method I invented, Can't tell you! Here is an example I just did from an extruded cylinder:

I really like this tall mug alot, I can't wait to make a mold of it, Then glaze it! What you think? Mahalo! Gogo

I like him, nice headdress! It's gonna hold a buttload full of nectar :lol: A good 30 ounces!

GT

Thanks Mike,

I was asked to pick 10 of my favorite ceramic items, So I had to dig around and see what I have done! I started making tiki mugs in 2002-2003 took a long break 2004-2005 for personal reasons, Got really back into it with Dani's help, Because of Ogga-Mooga posting some old stuff I did, 2006-Present, Thank You! Anyway here is a picture of some of the stuff I have done, Most are a run of 25 or 50, I do have some "One of" mugs out there and pendent's, Add some pictures if you wish, I was looking for a response on what your 10 favorites are, If any! I have a lot of stuff I'm working on still, With the help of Dani, Most of my ceramics are sold by "word of mouth" or by contacting me, Tiki events, At FreakyBoutiki in San Diego, Thanks Hank and Rita, And from time-to time on E-Bay, So Thank You all who have bought and supported our work!

What you think? Mahalo! Gogo

[ Edited by: GO TIKI 2008-10-09 17:29 ]

ALOT of beautiful pieces there, GT. I'm sure many-a-tc'ers will recognize.. Keep kickin' those great pieces out~ fB

WhoaH!

C

My FOM Moai mugs are, of course my personal favorite. :wink:

But, other than that, my favorite is the Mo-hine - she's fabulous!!

Gogo - everything I have bought from you is tied for my favorite.

I use my FOM moai mug more than any of the others, but they are all fantastic.

Keep up the great work!

BTW - what are those yellow mugs in the front?

Nicole just saw them and I don't like the look in her eye....

[ Edited by: leisure master 2008-10-11 12:22 ]

GT

Thanks All, Joe are you talking about these?

That's nice looking pineapple texture. I have to tell you a story about pineapple texture... I wanted a ceramic pineapple wedge to use as a display garnish. I put a chunk of clay in a plastic bag and headed for the grocery store produce section. I picked up a pineapple and casually looked all around, when I was sure no one was looking I SLAPPED the clay (in the bag) on the pineapple. I slipped the bag back into my pocket, replaced the pineapple and walked out. However, once in the car, I decided the bag kept the clay from capturing all the detail so I went back in and bought the damn pineapple. I took it home and pressed a slab of clay directly to the pineapple, bisqued the clay and ate the pineapple. Then I used the bisqued negative mold to texture my pinapple wedge :lol: The things we do in the name of "art"!

GT

Very funny Mike! Some cool new pendents I have been working on, What you think? Mahalo! Gogo

Nice! Gogo, I keep trying to learn more about ceramics - can you use a mason stain in thin porcelain and then high fire it to give the translucency of jade? It would make an awesome heitiki.

B

It's great to see the mud slinging around here at the G&D Studios! Keep it coming you two!

GT

Thank You! Babs - You guys are going off! At the Babs studio! Hey Mike, I'm not sure, I don't fire that high, To enough about that. I did go Munktiki style and airbrushed a vintage Ken Occurr tiki mug - I have had this mold for sometime now, I thought I'd let the tiki out of the vintage mold!

I also finished glazed my "Love Monkey #9" I used a "Cats Eye" look glaze on the monkey, The Moari has real New Zealand abalone eyes, I think it turned out pretty cool, What You Think? Mahalo! Gogo

[ Edited by: GO TIKI 2008-10-22 14:49 ]

[ Edited by: GO TIKI 2008-10-22 15:02 ]

G
GROG posted on Wed, Oct 22, 2008 11:20 PM

You always leave out "do".

What DO you think?

On 2008-10-22 23:20, GROG wrote:

What DO you think?

Isn't that a line out of "Murder by Death"?
(Does GROG operate DVD player?)

PS - Nice work Gogo. I Googled Ken Ocurr and didn't find anything- is that inspired by a vintage mug or cast from an actual vintage mold? I like the "cat-eye glaze" look.

GT

I know Grog, My friend, It's just a slang sentence!

On 2008-10-22 23:20, GROG wrote:

What DO you think?

GT

Hey Mike Thanks! Sorry, It's Ken Ocorr, Yes it's a vintage mold, I have two Ken Ocorr molds, Plus a different signed mug, Ken Ocorr, I tried to get some information too via Goggle but no luck! I do know the mugs are listed in the Tiki Quest book by Duke Carter, But no credit is given to Ken Ocorr, Just Homemade Tiki pg. #62, The molds are professionally done, Not a homemade molds like I do! Duke might have some more information on this missed credited artist!

On 2008-10-23 07:34, MadDogMike wrote:

PS - Nice work Gogo. I Googled Ken Ocurr and didn't find anything- is that inspired by a vintage mug or cast from an actual vintage mold? I like the "cat-eye glaze" look.

[ Edited by: GO TIKI 2008-10-23 17:11 ]

GT

X-Mas, Yikes! Still not Halloween yet! I asked for some response on our "Mo-Ho-Ho-Ho" mug and thanks for all the PM's and posted responses, I was asked to consider ditching the hat and making the Moai stone looking, So it is! This is a just for fun mug! What You Think! Or What Do You Think! Mahalo! Grog My Friend :) and All! Gogo

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 559 replies