Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

New Go Tiki Ceramics ( Goto Pg. # 37 )

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 559 replies

YAY! Congrats Gogo & Dani! Have you set the date yet?

Can't wait to see the final stemware, too. Awesome!

Thanks, too, for the music plug. Much appreciated~

CHEERS!

Andy

GT

Thanks Guys, I made Cynde Lu and Mark a one of a kind mini bowl, Great picture of the bowl getting broke in, Mahalo! Gogo

Hey GoGo and Dani - Congratz !!!!

GT

Thanks a Bunch, My friend Jim, Here is some finished pictures of the DaniTini - Martini glasses, Whatcha Think? Cheers! Gogo

Nice Gogo, I like that spotted glaze :) Glass bowls adhered after firing ceramic stems I assume?

GT

Thanks Mike, Yes I attached the Martini glasses to the stemware after firing, I made a fun cocktail/punch bowl, King Kamehameha Bowl, For Our wedding, And one to sell, If all turns out for the Beachcomber show, Whatcha Think? Cheers! Gogo

B

Very nice Gogo...when are you two getting hitched?

BT

On 2009-04-04 17:41, GO TIKI wrote:

Mahalo! Whatcha Think? Gogo

Well, congrats!

The martini glasses look great.
However this pic looks like a bicycle grip to me :D
I would LOVE some squishy soft tiki grips for my bikes. hmmm, anyone around here mold good quality rubber?

Gogo, Dani - so glad to hear the news!

Congratulations on your engagement and all the best

Joe

CJ

I thought you guys were already married...that's a good thing

Another use for our GoTiki conch shell mug. Holding a few of my hibiscus hybrids.

Jeff

GT

Thanks All for the wedding wishes, Jeff the hibiscus looks very cool, Hope to see you and Meagan at Bamboo Ben's on Sunday, I made just for fun, Out of a hobbiest mold, That I altered a bunch, A mug for Bamboo Ben, Again this is just for fun! Arrrrrrrr! Mahalo! Gogo

Looks just like him! :lol:

The recent pieces are looking great as always Gogo! God bless you and the lady too!

GT

Thanks My friends Mike and Sam, Come join us at:

[ Edited by: GO TIKI 2009-05-28 20:31 ]

GT

Mahalo! I have been so busy at my normal job, I haven't had much studio time, Here is some new things I have been working on,

I thought I'd try a drum mug, Many artist are making some very fine ones, Mine turned out O.K. I'll sculpt and sand at it and hopefully it will come out in a mold someday!

Next, I wanted to make Dani a mermaid sitting on a tiki island lamp, So here is the base, And again I think I'll mold it to see if I can make a few! " Queen of Tiki Island " Lamp

Whatcha think? Mahalo! Gogo

That is so KEWL ,

I think the drum mug would have made a good Holy Grail if Jesus had been a tikiphile :lol:

T

I need a mermaid lamp sir !

Z

Absolutely love the mermaid base. Mahalo to you for making such a prize!
~Zero

G
GROG posted on Sat, Jun 6, 2009 1:32 AM

That looks like Ariel. Did you sculpt the mermaid?

N
nuKKe posted on Sat, Jun 6, 2009 2:51 AM

I love the mermaid

GT

Thanks All, I hope the mermaid turns out, Grog I used a vintage ceramic home artist mermaid mold, Remolded it and re-sculpted it a bunch to fit into my sculpt of the tikis and island, Don't all mermaids look like Arial! MadDogMike, I hope Jesus doesn't come to claim the drum/grail mug, I don't want to responsible for the second coming of Christ!

Time to clean out the studio, This isn't something any artist post, All my completed runs of ceramic molds going to the dumpster to be destroyed, To insure that the limited edition stuff is really limited! Mahalo! Gogo

B
Babalu posted on Sun, Jun 7, 2009 1:30 PM

Way to go GoGo... Your keeping the home fires burning! Keep posting! OASIS! :)

K

They say that breaking up is hard to do.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Jun 7, 2009 5:59 PM

On 2009-06-07 13:25, GO TIKI wrote:
Thanks All, I hope the mermaid turns out, Grog I used a vintage ceramic home artist mermaid mold, Remolded it and re-sculpted it a bunch to fit into my sculpt of the tikis and island, Don't all mermaids look like Arial!

Excellent!

Thanks for clarifying that Go-go. I think when you JUST post "Hey, look what I'm working on", alot of people don't realize that you are working on a piece you have molded from an existing object, or from pieces that you already had molds for, and they mistakingly think you sculpted it yourself from scratch. I feel this does a disservice to the sculptors on TC like Babalu, Squid, Bowana, Stuckie, etc. who do just start with a blob of clay. I, along with the other artists I'm sure, really do appreciate you being more forthcoming about your process. You're awesome! Thanks.

By the way, I bought some clay from ceramic art space and ran across the mermaid bisque on their website you used to make a mold from, and you're right, they did make her look like Ariel.

[ Edited by: grog 2009-06-07 18:01 ]

GT

Hey Grog, I just posted under " other crafts " Thread that I made Dani a lamp base, Nothing more or less than that, I never said I sculpted the mermaid, All though I did sculpt a lot of the base, If I want to make Dani a mermaid lamp base then I will, If I want to use a mold in my lamp, Than I will, If I want to share it with others I will, This forum topic is for " other crafts "," Not Sculpts Only " There should be a thread like that for ceramics only, But don't mis-read my post and make it more than what it is, I'm just having fun, Mahalo! Gogo

R

I don't sculpt, carve, or paint a damn thing. On the other hand I do buy the stuff you talented types offer for sale.

GT

Thanks Babalu and RugyMatt, Here I'm working on a " Sculpting " A volcano bowl proto-type for a restaurant, The Volcano is hand sculpted, From a solid block of clay, Then molded, I added a relief of tikis, palms and villages, From a separate sculpt that I had " Sculpted " then molded, Then slipped them to the volcano, The bowl is wheel turned then molded into a ceramic mold, Because I want to make more of the same item, Not pressed clayed, Next are the KU's on the sides which where first molded out of a vintage home artist mold as a base, Then re-sculpted to fit the bowl, And re-molded again, Into a new mold, Next I added a logo of the restaurant which was " " should I say? Not making some artist production sculpts 100%, I'll skip that step, Next I used slip to attach all the finished pieces together at once, Next is to finish sand the bowl perfect, This step can take awhile, And in my opinion the most crucial, After Bisque, If it survives the kiln! Will be the reward of glazing! Which is a whole another experience in itself, I think Dani and Myself do some pretty cool glaze work? I hope this gives some more information than, Here's what I have been working on! Even though I don't really think I have to! I use many other steps to get to the look of what I want, I'm self taught I don't have a rule book! Cheers! Gogo

Very kewl Dude . love it

S
squid posted on Mon, Jun 8, 2009 10:09 PM

On 2009-06-08 18:11, GO TIKI wrote:
Hey Grog, I just posted under " other crafts " Thread that I made Dani a lamp base, Nothing more or less than that, I never said I sculpted the mermaid, All though I did sculpt a lot of the base, If I want to make Dani a mermaid lamp base then I will, If I want to use a mold in my lamp, Than I will, If I want to share it with others I will, This forum topic is for " other crafts "," Not Sculpts Only " There should be a thread like that for ceramics only, But don't mis-read my post and make it more than what it is, I'm just having fun, Mahalo! Gogo

Hey Gogo-
Sounds like you're taking this the wrong way. GROG has a very valid point and I'm compelled to defend him on it.

He didn't "misread" your post. He inquired about what was NOT stated, so as to clarify any misconceptions. Omitting key information about your source material can be confusing to people that are not in the "biz". Nobody suggested that you not post in "Other Crafts". We all very much enjoy seeing what you do and look forward to more. But I believe full disclosure is in order as well.

Of course it's fine to make molds of found objects or cast from hobby molds. The field is wide open and there's plenty of room for it right here! And it's really creative what you do with them especially when you do add sculpted details and parts, which is awesome!

This is akin to what DJs do when they sample and remix a musician's recorded work. Take a bit from here, a bit from there and add their own beats.

If an artist creates a 2-d work from existing printed materials, it is called a collage, not a painting. If it's a 3-D work, it's an assemblage.

But if he doesn't say anything at all, how is the public to know?

Keep up the great work!

squid

G
GROG posted on Mon, Jun 8, 2009 10:46 PM

Now that has to be one of the best and most interesting posts that you have ever done Go-go. As an artist, getting an insight into another artist's process is always so much more intersting than just seeing the finished piece, or nearly finished piece. And I'm sure it's more interesting and entertaining to the layperson as well. You used some wrong terms in your description, such as using "molded" when the proper term would be "casted" and sometimes "sculpted" or "re-sculpted" would be more accurate as "modified", but that's just a matter of terminology. Ceramics can be a very tricky process and so many things can go wrong along the way. By explaining your process, I think more people can appreciate the amount of work and skill that goes into making an "assemblage" like you are doing. And then glazing is the final step, which even that is a a skill unto itself, because the wrong glaze or unproperly applied glaze can ruin a finished piece, and you and Dani do a superb job of glazing. Keep up the good work.

GT

Thanks Grog and Squid, For your input, I have been working on this bowl for awhile, Thinking of trying out something a little different, Than the Tiki / PNG stuff, But linked to the music most of us enjoy, Exotica, I first was introduced to Yma Sumac, " The Queen of Exotica " from a Great reader in Tiki Magazine by Jeff Chenault ( Winter 2007-08 ) Edition, Since the article from Jeff, Yma has passed away at 86 years old, Before her passing, I was working on a bowl, " Exotica Queen " It is a likeness of the " EtaBay " album cover, And A tribute to the sounds of exotica music:

First a made a mold of a bowl, I didn't press clay the bowl!, I didn't sculpt the bowl!, I didn't even wheel turn the bowl!, " Which I will be doing soon! That would be really 100% " I actually made a mold from a bowl! Next I sculpted out of clay, A solid piece of clay, Not a molded or pressed piece of clay, Just a piece of clay, The center piece, Then made a mold of it, Then I added the base, Which is the piece I was working on for a long time, Which also I made a mold of, In the same fashion, The top and bottom of the base cylinders I had molded from an mold, That I sculpted and made again, I slipped all the piece together to make a one piece bowl, Just like cut and paste a graphic artist uses, " I do this for molding reasons " But in clay, Which I made into a bowl:

I'll post some pictures when finished glazed, And I think I'll add some homemade ceramic decals to it, Whtacha! Think? Gogo

I think she looks really fragile in a bone dry state, like I would be afraid to breathe in the same room. This is something you dry out REAL close to the kiln so there's not much moving involved :lol:

Looks great

P

that's a real nice bowl gogo. i'm really liking your new stuff lately.

L

I love the new bowl. I could see it without the inner tiki and it would still be awesome...its that base that really makes it special-great carving there.

Hope all comes out well in the end with glazing on this one because its a beaut.

M
mp posted on Mon, Jun 15, 2009 9:35 PM

I just went through your thread Go-Go. Beautiful mugs, excellent work.

N

very nice bowl, Gogo!

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jun 16, 2009 2:46 AM

GROG really digging hearing the process. Thanks Gogo.

Why is the little tiki guy in the middle shiny compared to the rest of the bowl? Do you seal him with a spray?

Vote DAILY for GROG' niece:
http://tinyurl.com/p8nojd

[ Edited by: GROG 2009-06-16 02:46 ]

GT

Thank You All, Here is some pictures of the " Queen Of Exotica " Bowl, I really liked the way this turned out, Great glaze work by Dani, After it was finished, We added a grass skirt to finish it off, Whatcha Think?

Cheers! Gogo

GT

Here is a fun lamp we made for the Tiki Ray - Bahooka show!

Thought you had dropped off the face of the earth Gogo! Great looking lamp, I like the color of the wahine skin-tone glaze.

WAAAAAAAY nice and that lamp shade really is a nice touch. You both did some great work again!!!

GT

Thanks All, New lamp and tiki necklace:

B

I like that blue lamp allot you guys! Tasty!

GT

Thanks All, Hiphipahula won in a raffle, At the Tiki Treasures and Polynesian Pinups Show, One of my pin-up rum barrel mugs, I can't think of a more deserving winner! Look at the smile :)

GT

Looking forward to Oasis! Dani and I are gearing up! This rough sculpt bowl turned out cool, (3) Wahines, Tiki, and Volcano base bowl, I hope to finish sand it without cracking and or the weather cracking it first!, We will see!

GT

Thanks All, We have been very busy getting a lot of fun stuff ready for Oasis 9 ( Surf City ) On that note at the very last is our limited ceramic fridge magnet ( Surf's Up! )

Maybe our friend Spermy in 20 years! Cheers! Gogo

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 559 replies