Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Don the Beachcomber

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 601 replies

Traditional Tiki's Old Fashioned Method

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2013-05-26 16:29 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2013-05-26 16:31 ]

Just a note to those with a passion for the Old Style. Chisels, saws rasps, and carving implements.

Nay would I fault machinery. My methods are slow and I may compromise yet, but it feels more like the creation takes on a spirit when you do it the time honored (and time consuming way.

If anyone's interested, speak up! Mahalo! Sunset Mike

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2010-06-28 12:25 ]

I used to think the same way But I heard a great man say
" if technology is available to you, you would be a fool not to take advantage of it"
Having siad that you made an incredible piece!!!
Much love and one big ass MAHALO!!

J

Hey, who's that guy doing the carving in front of Don's ??

It's Sunset Mike !! Here he is with his latest work in progress...

Now I know a lot of people put a premium on owning a Tiki that was actually displayed at a Trader Vic's. How about owning a Tiki that was actually carved at Don the Beachcomber's ??

It's priceless !! :)

On 2010-06-10 22:28, Sunset Mike wrote:
Just a note to those with a passion for the Old Style. Chisels, saws rasps, and carving implements.

Nay would I fault machinery. My methods are slow and I may compromise yet, but it feels more like the creation takes on a spirit when you it the time honored (and time consuming way.

If anyone's interested, speak up! Mahalo! Sunset Mike

I used to think that same way about using only hand tools. I agree there is some charm in it. I got half way through my first carve with that methodology before I too adopted the "if they had the technology they would have used it" theory.

Nice tiki by the way.

My Gratitude To John O!
Great pics Brah, You're making me blush.

Hey Brett, Where are You? Your Tiki is waiting Dude!

Sunset Mike

Yeah, The Technology can't be beat in a lot ways.

Please convince me, the Chisels wear me out!

and thanks for the compliments! Mahalo!

Hey Sunset mike , I dig what your doing.

I often wondered if anyone gave any merit to carvings that were done without the use of power tools?

I admit I use a chainsaw to do a rough cut especially after I found those bone spurs in my hand ....but there is definitely something to be said for spending the extra hours to do it by hand.

I think there is nothing better than spending a lazy afternoon chopping away chip by chip ...without the bbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz of some crappy electric motor.

Great stuff, Keep it up!

Thanks for the encouragement!

Yeah, It's Fun.

I'm not completely making my living this way (Yet)

If I did I'd need a spot way out and away where I could make a mess and a lot of noise.

The power tools are really hard on the wood too, they tend to tear it up. Come by, Say hi! Permission to come aboard.

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2010-06-18 12:49 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2010-06-18 20:57 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2010-06-22 10:19 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2010-06-22 10:21 ]

B

Excellent works sunset Mike and I admire your persistence to stick with the power tools. I've carved a few tikis in my day and my motto was whatever tool removes the waste quicker and better, thats the tool for me, but it doesn
t always mean power tools because when you throw that "Better" into the equasion it rules a lot of tools out for some phases of the piece. I do/did use a chainsaw but I was never a chainsaw carver, it was just another tool to remove wood as is a chisel and grinder.. Then there are a few Power chisels that work wonders too.
If someone wanted to go completely traditional then they would have to be using stone and jade tools I would think???

Anyway Keep up the Incredible work and Welcome to Tiki Central.

Gotta Agree!

Better? Not really. And yes. You'd have to use stone and jade to be really authentic. I can't find obsidian around here either. I could take up painting and stretch canvasses covered with sheepskin gesso, and maybe then try to find colorful stuff to make the paints. Yeah, who is a true purist? Well I'm guilty too!

I say again, I'm not trying to dis anybody, Just keeping it alive

Sometimes I have to admit it's for convenience sake. Needs no electricity, and I don't have to replace bits, minimal noise and not as much mess. Just sharpen and go. I'm getting faster as time goes by, but I'll do whatever it takes to be sure.

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2010-06-18 20:55 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2010-06-20 01:27 ]

Me again. Sabal Tiki

L

On 2010-06-18 20:51, Sunset Mike wrote:

...minimal noise and not as much mess. Just sharpen and go.

A real philosophy! Even if I did not apply to the letter ... There is an other guy who is in this vision here
And obsidian, I found there. I bought two beautiful pieces and I hope, that I've a little time, make some tools.
Welcome to TC and keep the good work... and the faith!

J.

Welcome sunset mike. Looks like you had fun on the big guy. Well done.
#2 has alot of detail on him very cool.

Merci Beaucoup!

Enfants D' France. Your opinions are respected in all arts!

P

Hi Mike!!! It was GREAT speaking with you tonight. I am glad to see a real, true artist still in LA! Your tikis' are phenomenal and your life story is complimentary. Thanks for the laughs and great memories. Take care buddy. Sydnie is sending photos. :)

Unreal!

A reply on the same day!

Thanks for the compliments and the conversation. The photo is one I completed a little while back. He lives at Main Street Wine Cellar in Seal Beach and was named "U-U" (Yoo-yoo) by the owner. He brings happiness, That's the idea! Sunset Mike

Beautiful!

Tiki looks good too!

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2010-07-11 22:14 ]

Carol's

This guy is a complete hand job. Lot's of work to be sure, but seems worth it!

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2010-08-01 21:54 ]

This guy turned out well!

I sold it to a woman named Carol for which she had given me a deposit.

The Tiki and my lift cart were both stolen from Don the Beachcombers.Carol was heartsick, and By the time I had comforted her and promised to make her a new & equal quality Tiki, person or persons unknown had returned the tiki, tarp & lift cart to the loading dock @ Don the Beachcombers!

Unbelievable!

My gratitude for the persons unknown for return of my cart and my Art! As for you, The Wrath of Karma can be a real bear unless headed off by an act of repentance. In this case, you amended the damage and did just that!

Good for you!

You're in my prayers. Never be ashamed of doing the right thing. Please think before doing this kind of thing to anyone. God isn't fooling around

"Thou shalt not steal"

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2010-08-01 21:41 ]

Carol decide this Guys name is "Don"
After his birthplace, "Don the Beachcombers"

I found out that 'Donald' means "World Leader"

If there are any Polynesian language experts out there, please tell me how to say 'Donald' in Hawaiian.

I'm sure Carol would appreciate that!

C

Oh so good things happen too, sometimes, very glad you got your tiki back, really!

Mahalo Clarita,

I'm glad too. That lift cart came back as well, thank God
I use that for ice carving but it helps a lot doing tiki's, moving stuff and all of that.

Grateful to God and whoever else. Life is hard enough

J

It's Sunset Mike working on his latest masterpiece.

Like how that Tiki has both arms and a hairdo ??

Nice !!

May you bring Happiness and prosperity wherever you go!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2010-11-05 10:31 ]

B

Love the latest tiki Sunset and his Necklace is totally Awesome.

This tiki was Way excellent too but I can't understand how you did anything with these "Bent" Gouges,, just send me all the bent ones and I'll fix'em for'ya?? :o

The bent gouges are really for digging deep in hard to get areas. (Like the mouth) They work too!

Thanks for kind compliments. That guy is sold already and going to a Walnut ranch up North as part of a decoration for a pond and waterfall. I'm sure he'll be way happy!

latest

Epoxy resin coated, ready to to take the outdoors.

Go-rilla

K
Kino posted on Sat, Nov 13, 2010 6:34 AM

On 2010-08-06 22:14, Sunset Mike wrote:

If there are any Polynesian language experts out there, please tell me how to say 'Donald' in Hawaiian.

Don, here is a link for translation
http://hawaiiannames.hisurf.com/

Very nice 'old world' style creations.
But are you sanding those with stones to keep in the tradition ? j/k

Not, yet.

But that could happen too! Pumice works well I'm told.

It's more about handwork. Soon I may be using some machinery for convenience sake, while still keeping my premium projects as hand done pieces.r
Thanks for your interest.

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2010-11-19 20:33 ]

Saturday, December 18

KIMO - Master of Steel Guitar
A Saturday night regular in the Dining Room, Kimo, "Master of the Steel Guitar,"
shows his skills on this type of guitar and method of playing first developed in Hawaii.
7-9 p.m. in the Dining Room - NO COVER!

Holiday Shopping with DJ Big Tiki Dude
The Hula Girls and The Tequila Worms
Get your holiday shopping out of the way as your favorite Tiki vendors will set up shop with DJ Big Tiki Dude from 6-9 p.m. in the High Chief's Room & Hidden Village. From 9 p.m. till midnight, The Hula Girls and Tequila Worms will take the stage to blow your mind!
6 p.m.-midnight in the Hidden Village - $5 COVER!

Don The Beachcomber
16278 Pacific Coast Highway
Huntington Beach, California 92649

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2010-12-16 12:35 ]

Not a Tiki,\

He's a custom job for a Lady who's Dad is a Full Blood Apache!

B

Way Excellent Gorilla Mike and the Injun ain't bad either!

Being the showoff again!- The Christmas Tiki Fest in Hidden Village @ Don The Beachcombers.

Thanks for the compliments Ben!

Merry Christmas!

On 2010-12-21 12:27, Sunset Mike wrote:

You use the drawknife both backwards and upside down?

Or is this just a posed "in action" shot?
Buzzy Out!

Occasionally it is a "push-knife")

Yes, that is an action shot, I appreciate the scrutiny!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2010-12-22 18:45 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2011-02-04 22:27 ]

Awesome!

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2010-12-22 20:54 ]

On 2010-12-22 20:53, RevBambooBen wrote:
Awesome!

Wood be cool to see you and Crazy Al carve tandem at Don's.

Wooda ya think Crazy Al and Sunset Mike???

I have asked Al to come by and visit and he has respectfully declined.

Yet, if he was willing I would would certainly be as well!

Here is the biggest guy yet. A stump in the ground on Studebaker in long beach.

I hope the JPEG loads

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2011-02-01 22:16 ]

Smaller guy, made from Schlefferia wood (Bonzai) has a beautiful finish

Same guy, different view: The Schlefferia wood has a beautiful texture and a pearly appearance. I'll be on the watch for more!

]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2011-02-01 22:17 ]

The bottom section of the Long Beach Big Boy The "Why Me?" expression seemed appropriate for being on the bottom.
He's getting close to being done now.

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2011-02-01 22:24 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 601 replies