Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Don the Beachcomber

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 601 replies

T

Wow Mike, thats sweet. Wish I could be there for the ohana gathering, looks like its gonna be killer. Coincidentally, we'll be having our own bash down in Texas the same weekend.

On 2018-03-26 19:59, TheBigT wrote:
Wow Mike, thats sweet. Wish I could be there for the ohana gathering, looks like its gonna be killer. Coincidentally, we'll be having our own bash down in Texas the same weekend.
THanks Big T!

The Bad news is that Don's will be moving.
The Good News? Regarding the new location; Deliah said to me

"There will always be room for you"

So until then, I'll be around and in the parking lot for as long as I can be!

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2018-04-11 20:56 ]

Happy Mothers Day!

All of you Mom's

Sad looking at the empty shell that was at one time the greatest Tiki Place I have ever known.

On a more positive note, The owner of the property like my work and is going to allow me to continue carving in the parking lot. He has my gratitude
This being the case I shall keep this thread open and cling to hope that Don's re opens in a new location soon. They were like family to me. It's not the same.

Still, come by, say hi! Sunset Mike Lives!

KEEP THE FAITH, BABY!

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset mike 2018-05-15 14:26 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2018-05-15 14:26 ]

Manzanita Guy!
Inlaid Horsebone Dentures and Eyes with selective blackening
Tung Oil Finish.

Another example of dancing with difficult material. Parts break off and plans get changed. Work with it, not against it. Don't force. coax. Bargain, Love it as it becomes what it can be. He turned out well and I'll take time around mounting him. Such beautiful stuff this wood can yield when it goes well!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2018-06-03 14:35 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2018-06-03 14:36 ]

T

Cool, the hair looks like fire!

The colors on Manzanita are varied and almost always great!
Thanks Bro!

A custom stump in Huntington.
Very nearly complete at this point. More to come. not to disagree with Roy Orbison, But....
It's Not Over!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2018-09-12 20:32 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2018-09-12 20:45 ]

C
cy posted on Wed, Sep 12, 2018 8:56 PM

Looking good SSM, I'm happy to see you are still carving and being productive!

Nice carve.
Something for every body there.

The New Kid as declared, "FINISHED"

AT least my part is done. The owner is going to try a new type of finish after it has cured a bit.

Thanks CV and will carve! I have another Assignment, though not as large, in fact, miniture!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2018-09-17 19:37 ]

The "Manzanita Brothers!. Pendants fashioned from local Manzanita wood with a tung oil finish. The toothy guy is carrying a stingray barb for a spear. Better in a Tiki than someones foot! Carved in the former parking lot of Don the Beachcomber, the spirit lives on!
Phil, a long time customer of my works comissioned these from me and they turned out very well, Both of us are happy, and that is the idea.
Interestingly enough the polynesian natives DID use stingray barbs as decorations and tools.

By the way, I DO NOT KILL the stingrays. If I catch while them fishing I trim the spines and turn them loose like they do at the aquariums. They'll grow a new one in around 90 days.

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2018-10-03 21:25 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2018-10-03 21:26 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2018-10-03 21:27 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2018-10-03 21:30 ]

T

Nice pendants, great story!

Back at my 2nd home. Lonely but,.... The Spirit lives on!
The same customer wants a couple more so I'm at it again. Manzanita once more.
This pair will be home for Christmas. He wants them his son. They are happier in a family !

Here they are!
Tha Manzanita Brothers are ready for thier place the Christmas Tree!
A regular customer requested these for his son. It's a Family Thing!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2018-11-26 19:38 ]

T

Love those smalls, man. Those are treasures.

Thanks Big T!

My Christmas boy from birth to finish.

He's made of China Doll Wood and finished with Teak oil. A simple fella I wanted hi ready for Santa's Bag,
And so he is!

He was adopted his first day out. I had the feeling somebody was going to fall for him at first glance. Under the tree, he shall be!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2018-12-24 22:26 ]

Merry Christmas to All,

And To All A Good Night!

T

Merry Christmas, Mike. Never heard of China Doll wood. Cool.

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2019-01-01 18:17 ]

Here's another China Doll Wood Piece. Born on New Years Day of 2019, he is a simple work in a classic style. I may turn to varnish for this one.

On 2018-12-30 11:08, TheBigT wrote:
Merry Christmas, Mike. Never heard of China Doll wood. Cool.
[/Usually an indoor plant and a decorative tree
Originated in subtropical china. Very carvable and soft, grainy. The Mermaid I did is made out of it as well. The neighbor has a full grown tree and just cut it down so I have some for a while. ]

Latest Works in Manzanita wood.

It's never plain what is inside and the outcome is always surprising, sometimes good, sometimes great,sometimes spectacular!

Teak oil on these two

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2019-04-06 09:23 ]

Yes!
He turned out well. This one has that, hard to come by heartwood streaking going through it adding that 'Candy Colored Clown Effect'

He's actually still in progress, I'm refining some portions and using an approach of different Oil finishes on different areas. Selective sanding creates variations in absorbtion of the finish giving some good effect. God Bless Manzanita, It is such an exquisite material!

Still at it!
That's Bob Van Oosting of Oceanic Arts critiquing my Indian Laurel wood guy. A compliment from those guys is one you can keep!
A Manzanita boy is getting ready for his teak oil and a China Doll piece is in the works.

Keep it comin!

Of Course we lost another Icon of Tikidom recently. Seeing Andrew McCain at the events was one of the things that made them special.
I hope he has a warm hut and a hammock in Paradise.
And hope to see him there!
Aloha, Until we meet again.

A little of the latest.
Vinnie, a Shining star of Don the Beachcomber is posing wih some of my works at the Pelican Isle on PCH. Another Manzanita kid is mounted and ready and a King Palm Stump from Don's Garden, that fell over and was destined for the landfill is going to become someone instead.

Tiki Lives!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2019-04-06 09:23 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2019-04-06 09:24 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2019-04-14 18:14 ]

King Palm Evolving!

Torch blackening helps the features stand out. A face book guy calls him 'ZIGGY'.

Yeah, I can see that! Yer dig it Mon?

Every one flips over those hair balls.
They are hard to find.
I cut them in half to make 2 wall hangers.
Good job.

On 2019-04-15 09:14, Will carve wrote:
Every one flips over those hair balls.
They are hard to find.
I cut them in half to make 2 wall hangers.
Good job.

Thanks Will Carve!
This is my first root ball, and I came up with it by accident-Lucky! Good hearing from you.

From Birth To Adoption.
Material: Manzanita Wood
Finish: Teak Oil
Influence: Mid-Century Classic

My Pal Ryan fell for him right off. This guy was taken from an inspiration from The Book of Tiki. And as with all of my works I hope he brings happiness wherever he goes. Now he is off to grace Ryans Home.

Another pair of Tiki Pendants. These were requested by a regular who just loves all things Tiki.
s

The evolution of a new one.
China Doll wood, Marquesan influence, teak oil finish.

A cutie, he'll make someone happy to take him home.

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2019-06-23 20:04 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2019-06-23 20:05 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2019-07-12 23:36 ]

Material

Finally Ready!
Height: 19 Inches
Material: China Doll Wood
Finish: Teak Oil
Influence: Marquesan
Colors: Natural, torch highlighting

Lots of compliments on this guy. I like him too!

This one is based on a classic design featured in Book of Tiki.as there was some checking
I decided it had to be a wall hanger. Simple is not easier. This guy is a lot of work, but I think he'll make me proud

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2019-07-14 20:00 ]

Oh yeah,
Classic Mid-Century styling, inspired by an image from the Sven Kirsten's "Book of Tiki." He still needs minor refining and I need to get him in a real Tiki setting to show him at his best/ Later comes the full docier.

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2019-08-26 20:44 ]

Katy's New Guy!

And it's not me (Dammit!)
She spoke to me over a year ago about adopting one for her Uncle who loves wood stuff. Her beloved Uncle passed on, She adopted my Marquesan China Doll Kid in his memory, and named him Raymond, after him.

oh yeah, it feels good!

A couple custom pendants for a regular.

He wanted one to represent forgiveness and another to represent prayer. The Manzanita Guy has his hands facing outward, 'You're Absolved'. His Indian Laurel Brother has his hands in the classic prayer fashion. Blessings to their new Daddy!

Still refining this Indian Laurel Wood Hanging Kid. He's worth it!

C
cy posted on Mon, Nov 18, 2019 8:41 AM

Nice Mike!

On 2019-11-18 08:41, cy wrote:
Nice Mike!
Thanks CV, Good hearin from yuh!

I finally met Sven Kirsten. He and his works have provided inspiration and guidance for me since day one of my Tikidom. The Indian Laurel work was inspired by an image included in the book of Tiki that I saw and had to emulate.

He Likes It ,and called it a Beautiful work, When you get that from him you know you're got your wings!

Merry Christmas to all
And to all a goodnight!

SUnset Mike

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2020-02-23 10:00 ]

Another 'Mystery' wood guy. I found this material and just tried to see if there was a Tiki inside. This wood has intermingled hues that led me to keeping focus on the features of the material versus detail. I have fun with that sometimes!

Smiley resized

It' looks like we're back!

[ Edited by Sunset Mike on 2022-03-17 19:58:36 ]

[ Edited by Sunset Mike on 2022-03-17 19:59:40 ]

Mike and tiki

Just getting this up and running again.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 601 replies