Don the Beachcomber

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 601 replies

P

very cool!

On 2014-01-13 17:18, pjc5150 wrote:
very cool!
Thank you pjc5150!

Ponderosa Pine.

One of those occasions where I've let myself go crazy on detail. The horns aren;t traditional, but with the shape I just decided not to resist.

Perhaps the Vikings got to the Islands, or maybe just horny? The Devil made me do it!

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-01-19 18:39 ]

T

Looking good. Looks like a crown. Maybe King Poohbah? :wink:

On 2014-01-20 07:08, TheBigT wrote:
Looking good. Looks like a crown. Maybe King Poohbah? :wink
Grand Poobah, I never thought of that one!
Thanks for input "Big T"

"Grand Poobah" as defined by Wikipedia

Grand Poobah is a term derived from the name of the haughty character Pooh-Bah in Gilbert and Sullivan's The Mikado (1885).[1] In this comic opera, Pooh-Bah holds numerous exalted offices, including "First Lord of the Treasury, Lord Chief Justice, Commander-in-Chief, Lord High Admiral... Archbishop of Titipu, and Lord Mayor" and Lord High Everything Else. The name has come to be used as a mocking title for someone self-important or high-ranking and who either exhibits an inflated self-regard or who has limited authority while taking impressive titles.[2] The formal term for the practice of holding multiple offices is "dual mandate

I wasn,t thinking of that when I horned the Ponderosa pine fella, but hey, I think it works!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-01-25 19:07 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-01-25 19:08 ]

Is anyone else having trouble posting on tiki central? Two days in a row and the server is requesting a time out.

Finally! Unfortunatley the image posting section for Tiki Central was having an issue with my Firefox search engine. Google chrome got it. Learning to use an updated computer can be a pain in the arse, but here are the latest images of the Poobah.

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-01-28 16:10 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-01-28 16:14 ]

Here's Poo-Bah, stained and soaking up teak oil. This Ponderosa Pine blotched up more than I would have liked during staining but should cure out more evenly, as do most of the genuine woods. He turned out well enough and hopefully I can leave him alone for a bit. The pedestal is a stump of Palo Verde wood and I'm very happy with how it came out.

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-02-01 20:12 ]

Eucalyptus of a sort. A simple piece I'm hoping will gladden a heart and grace a dwelling.

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-02-09 21:10 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-02-09 21:12 ]

I like it.

@sunsetmike
Great work on this one!

Ooga, Mooga,

Mahalo for the image of my Bone tiki! Where did you get it and is it posted on Ooga Mooga? Is this from the guy whom purchased it over the weekend, etc etc.

Once again thanks for the Image and the appreciation, More bones a-comin!

Tradtional style tiki, Bone

Interpretation of the headress symbol

hiku-atu
This pattern is a modification of the niho-peata and it got its name from the bonito (atu = scomber pelamys). The tuna was supposed to be a predator on the Marquesian islands and was adored in a strong way. That’s why this tattoo symbolises all good attributes that are attributed to the bonito – effiency and agility. Thus the tattoo is a sign for the skillfullness of the persons, who got it – if they were warriors it shows skills at hunting enemies, if they were fishermen it shows skills at hunting the prey.

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-02-17 18:38 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-02-17 18:40 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-02-17 18:40 ]

Good job on that bone.
They sure shine up nice.

On 2014-02-18 04:43, Will carve wrote:
Good job on that bone.
They sure shine up nice.

Indeed they do! I'm finding it not easier to carve than wood, but more consistent. Less of the stringing, knots and grain.

Thanks for the comments! Mike

Nearing completion. Getting a "Tea" bath for color and awaiting finish. Bone I am finding takes detaikl much better than woods Inhave worked with, and should make for some interesting future projects.

Don't forget, Don's has the "Hula Girls" Hulabilly group in the Dagger Bar tomorrow night. If you're near, be here, Daddy-O!

The latest Bone Carving. Mild staining wigth coffee and tea, Carnuba Wax finishing. As an added bonus it's reversable and has a Tiki Face upside down as well.

I'm Happy with it!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-03-07 18:53 ]

A couple of the Ladies from last Nights 'Hula Girls' show at Don's. Works of art themselves!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-03-07 18:54 ]

Progression on a Water Buffalo bone tiki.

The Marquesan Cross and spear head scrimshaw.

The Polynesian tattoo symbols of spear heads can be found in almost every Polynesian tattoo design. It’s designed to express courage and fight. It’s also used to represent warrior, sharp items, and sting of animals and rays. Spear heads are usually used in combination with other symbols to express certain meanings. For example, one line of spear heads and one line of enatas upside down along its side can express the meaning of defeating enemies. It has many variations with arrows repeating.

[

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-03-07 18:52 ]

Indian Water Buffalo Bone. Marquesian Cross and Spearhead Scrimshaw, Light tea staining and Wax finish. It turned out very well and I'm very happy with it. Sold already!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-03-08 16:39 ]

Love all the fine detail work in your newest pieces. Wendy

On 2014-03-31 22:06, danlovestikis wrote:

Thanks Wendy! Good to hear from you.
On 2014-03-31 22:06, danlovestikis wrote:

The latest is a 'Simple is Better' Type. The hands, Palm side up represent offering. Natural Teak oil color, spot burned for darkening. The hands are the natural hue of the branch wood

If I weren't carving Tiki's out in front of Don the BeachComber I'd be hanging out just for the Women!

This is Jennifer of the Dagger Bar graciously showing off a pair of my latest. She's got that Exotic Look and wears it well!

Jennifer, Don the Beachcomber's Hottest showing off my latest. Deer Bone Tiki. Maori symbol scrimshaw, Tea Staining and Carnuba wax finish. A lot of folks like the Bones, even if Jennifer is better to look at!

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-05-07 19:40 ]

Here she is again!

The little guy in her hands is of American Bison (Buffalo). Traditional Maori symbols ( Sharks teeth, fish and spearheads) highlighted with spot tea staining. The Bone is highly sand polished and finished with Carnuba wax.

The Giraffe Bone guy is coming along. I'm taking my time with this one.

What we are looking at are some high quality, expensive and well used Chisels and tools that had belonged to a Master Woodworker. They have been in his Son's possession since he passed away, He told me that the tools were his pride and Joy and he preferred that they go into the hands of an Artisan where they could continue to be used in creations. The Son saw my work and decided to offer them to me.

This occupation has it's perks. Works will come of them, I assure you

Happy Customers Ingrid and Yusef who purchased of my Bone Tiki's while Here at Don's for Sunday Reggae. Ingrid is a carver as well and Both are Tiki Aficionado's among other things. Very interesting backgrounds as well. Ingrid also owns the "High Dive Bar in San Diego.

http://www.highdivesd.com/
I have to pay that one a visit when I'm down there

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-05-25 19:17 ]

Here is the link to the HIgh Dive Bar San Diego.

I hope we can all stop in during Tiki Oasis!

http://www.highdivesd.com/https://www.facebook.com/highdivesd?fref=ts

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-05-25 19:14 ]

Jennifer displays the latest the Latest Bone. American Bison with traditional Maori symbols in scrimshaw, light tea stain highlites and Carnuba wax finish. The dim image displays the shine of the bone. It has been hand sanded with 6 progressive grits and finished with hand applied Diamond White Polish.

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-06-01 16:59 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-06-01 20:44 ]

A
amate posted on Mon, Jun 2, 2014 5:06 AM

Man, I consider myself disciplined if I can get past 100 grit! That's dedication!!!

On 2014-06-02 05:06, amate wrote:
Man, I consider myself disciplined if I can get past 100 grit! That's dedication!!!

On 2014-06-07 19:30, Sunset Mike wrote:

On 2014-06-02 05:06, amate wrote:

Thanks for the recognition. The grits go from 150 up to 2000. I'm questioning the effectiveness of the polish when it is hand applied. I have heard that toothpaste works well for Bone, Ivory and Ebony. So I'll give it a try>

Mahalo! Sunset Mike

T

Damn, looks like you acquired an awesome set of chisels and a way cool old box!

A double Dose on Saturday, the 7th. The Tikiyaki Orchestra and the Swank Bastards. Images below are some of Don's Tiki Heads, ( Yep, including me) Along with Some Eye Candy Crew. Both Jennifers, Amy and her Cohort, (Thee Swank Bastards Dancer poses with my 'Durante with an Attitude' Tiki) Mr Fez, Crazy Al himself. The dead head Camper was outside as well. The general concessus is simply that we had fun!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-06-09 19:15 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-06-10 20:54 ]

On 2014-06-08 10:53, TheBigT wrote:
Damn, looks like you acquired an awesome set of chisels and a way cool old box!

Blessed would be an understatement.Included in the set were a set of "Marples" chisels made in SHeffield England. Rose wood handles, Brass Burls and the Legendary Sheffield Steel that is all but unobtainable now.A smaller set of those Chisels was going for $200.00 Dollars on E-bay. Not to mention Henckels, Swiss Made and Italian rifflers and Files. The Box too. Oh, yes, I'm grateful as hell!.

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-06-10 20:52 ]

I like to see your work whenever I am up that way! Keep up the good work!

FYI: High Dive in SD has a "Tiki Tuesday" as well.

A
amate posted on Tue, Jun 10, 2014 8:19 AM

"Putting on the Ritz" Mike! Looks like fun.

On 2014-06-09 19:19, lunavideogames wrote:
I like to see your work whenever I am up that way! Keep up the good work!

FYI: High Dive in SD has a "Tiki Tuesday" as well.

Make yourself known! Check out my FaceBook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b-3uGAdkbQ

Mahalo!

On 2014-06-10 08:19, amate wrote:
"Putting on the Ritz" Mike! Looks like fun.

The Beachcomber events are always a blast. Raggae every Sunday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b-3uGAdkbQ

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-06-10 20:49 ]

The Hula Girls Burlesque Show. My opportunity to put on an Ascot and behave shamelessly. It was a great time! Check out the Don the Beachcomber FaceBook

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-07-01 18:50 ]

"I ain't got no-Body" Tiki finished with spar varnish. The Giraffe Bone progressing agt the tedious pace of such work.Hoping the finshed product will be worth the effort.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 601 replies