Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Don the Beachcomber

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 601 replies

H

Mike, I really like your carvings, they have a vintage feel to them. I like how you have your own particular style of carving.

I lean to the traditional. I think particularly because this Art is inspired by the spiritual searching of a people and is worthy of respect.

Thanks for your kind thoughts!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2011-02-20 20:58 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2011-02-23 21:51 ]

Hard to see in this image, Ladies, he.s got a butt!

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2011-02-23 21:49 ]

And at last!

This guy is 11 feet tall and still stumped in he ground.
It turned out well, and I'm happy with it!

Epoxy resin Coated. The owner is going to put appropriate foliage around. A dedication Luau should be happening in May!

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2011-04-04 16:55 ]

Great looking tiki, so-so looking artist!

She' not a Tiki, but she. is an island girl

and she is turning out nicely!

Belmont shores. The craze continues!

This one is going to have another on the other side of the fence.

H

Mike will you post more pictures of the island girl when finished, thanks.

Not a problem!

Good to get a reply, I haven't had one in a while. I almost put her up on the Tiki Erotica forum, but she isn't vintage and is rated PG. I do most of my work in public so can't show naked bodies. It's a pity, but

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2011-05-16 23:48 ]

S

Well done on the 11' tiki pole.

She's coming along

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2011-05-06 00:29 ]

M
McTiki posted on Fri, May 6, 2011 3:44 AM

What kind of wood is the Island girl? She's turning out very nicely. Very nice Tikis too sir.

G
GROG posted on Fri, May 6, 2011 10:14 AM

Title of the thread----it should be "Don the Beachcomber". No "S" at the end.

----The Spelling Police

Dear Grog,

Busted! MY English Professor will disown me.

McTiki, Thank you for your gracious compliments!

The wood for the Island Girl is a Schefflera, which is a Pacific Rim Ornamental type of the Banzai variety. I got from some trimmings in a neighbors yard.I have re-check the tree (Now that it's got leaves and flowers again) to get the specific type, but I'll use it every chance I get. It's beautiful stuff!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2011-05-07 00:18 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2011-05-07 00:20 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2011-05-21 00:37 ]

Another made from schefflera. This one has a combination of Shellac and Teak oil.

It,s a Beautiful wood, He's for sale

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2011-05-21 00:38 ]

Here's the Cypress Guy again,

The Ladies love his butt!

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2011-05-29 21:44 ]

I'm falling for her. Happens every time!

Here's one.

Can't really be called traditional but she turned out really well anyway. The flower keeps her "American Legal for public view" (Sorry guys, no naked breasts where the prude patrol can see them.) But tactfully done.

This is her male counterpart when he was half completed. He is done, but I have to get some Images of him.They are a pair of Queen Palms that had to be taken down. Recycled and converted into an Island couple looking out over the beach. They are Epoxy Resin coated.
May they bring joy to all who view them!

another basic

Another Schefflera wood tiki. Teak oil finish. The unique shape made for the prayer pose. I'm liking this one!

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2011-07-27 23:01 ]

P

wow.....

I thought queen was too stringy to carve, but that looks really good.

I have a queen in my front yard that died in last years freeze and all my friends are calling me out. "what's up man, you're the tiki guy, why isn't that tree a tiki already?"

So, I'm guessing the queen responds well to the chised then?

Any advice carving a palm I thought was uncarvable?

A
amate posted on Sat, Aug 6, 2011 8:55 AM

On 2011-07-27 23:00, Sunset Mike wrote:

The unique shape made for the prayer pose. I'm liking this one!

I like this one as well. Very creative !

Yes it is carvable and most of my stuff is Queen Palm.

However, it depends on the condition of palm. Machinery tears it apart as it is not really wood but more like a cross between wood and grass and it's literally a weed. A chisel will cut and allow for shape.

The outside portions are generally the most workable. The deep inside is grainy, most and weak, hard to work with and won't provide good support.

Peel off a little bark and see see what's there.If it's dark brown and rotted too deep it may be limited as to what can be accomplished, but you'll not know until you try. The image has a damaged queen with outside damage cut away. I managed to get around it and make the big haired female in some earlier posts. Yes, it can be done!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2011-08-06 10:42 ]

On 2011-08-06 08:55, amate wrote:

On 2011-07-27 23:00, Sunset Mike wrote:

The unique shape made for the prayer pose. I'm liking this one!

I like this one as well. Very creative !

This Schefflera wood, not Queen Palm if there is any confusion.

And again.

P

so, bottom line is that it like a nice sharp chisel, and grinders & saws will tear it apart.

Good to know. I need to go out there and strip some bark off & see how it looks.

The best thing I know of for stripping bark is "Draw Knife" You can see me using one in some of the past images in this forum. They also work really well for smoothing out areas where you can.

You can obtain a draw knife at 'Woodcraft' 'Rockler' or online. They are expensive but worth it. A lifetime investment!

I finally got back to work on her. Details, lots of details

The latest family get together. Varying in size and quality

Here is my Schefflera girl nearly completed getting her teak oil tan.

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2011-08-20 21:34 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2011-08-20 21:36 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2011-08-27 01:48 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2011-08-27 01:52 ]

Getting closer, always finding a little something that could be better.

N

WOW! Beautiful color and great detail. Well done Sir.

RR

[i]On 2011-08-09 10:32, Sunset Mike wrote:[/i}

You can obtain a draw knife at 'Woodcraft' 'Rockler' or online. They are expensive but worth it. A lifetime investment!

I found mine at a swap meet for $5. You can usually find them in piles of old tools.

A
amate posted on Sat, Sep 10, 2011 8:14 AM

On 2011-09-09 12:58, NIxxon wrote:
WOW! Beautiful color and great detail. Well done Sir.

Ditto!! very nice Mike.

Thanks for the compliments! and the chance on a 5 dollar draw knife. I'm told they get better with use so it's a good investment in any case.

More to come!

The color is all Teak Oil. Some are clear and others have an amber tinge. Stain does not work well on softer woods like this Schefflera and can be very blotchy even with the application of conditioner. Even with the oil certain areas will be darker than others with softer woods because of absorption in to the cellular structure of the wood. Experimenting is the key!

Gene Simmons would approve!

Cyrpess wood, two tone stain, teak oil finish

N
NIxxon posted on Mon, Jan 2, 2012 6:51 PM

IIIIIIIII....WANNNA ROCK AND ROOOLLLL ALLL NIIIIIGHT!!! AND PARTY EVERY DAY!!! KISS FOR THE WINNNNNNNNNNNN!!! Awesome Work...More than KISS approves of this one :)

Is that a Queen?

No, Not palm wood. It is made of Cypress wood.
Nice patterns, attractive wood hues and takes a good finish. Like Pine, It is a little difficult to work with, and has a tendency to split, but I use it when I can find it
The doors of St. Peters Basilica in Rome were made of Italian Cypress, the same as this one and 3 of my other sculptures. The doors lasted for 1100 years and were still intact when replaced with bronze a ways back. These sculptures will not last for years, they will last for centuries!

As always Mahalo for the compliments! and if Gene doesn't care for it Maybe Shannon Tweed will!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2012-01-03 20:21 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2012-03-25 10:13 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2012-03-25 10:15 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 601 replies