Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Don the Beachcomber

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 601 replies

After six-months of too much damn work coming to this on my first 2 day weekend since October and seeing Crazy, Al, Atomic Tiki Punk, Big Tiki Dude and and scores of others felt like a long awaited homecoming from a war.

It was a blast guys. Thanks again Rory. I'll see you at Don's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYEVq0xhRCE

With Memories of Tiki Caliente 5,

Mahalo!

G
GROG posted on Fri, May 24, 2013 1:51 PM

Still no "S" on Don the Beachcomber.

Aloha Mike,

Great meeting you at Caliente. I was vending across from you, with the vintage Aloha shirts.

It was a lot of fun watching you carve and it was inspiring to hear how passionate you are about your art. It really shows in your wahine, who, I'm totally in love with.

Thanks again for the tips. Hopefully, I'll be starting my first tiki carving this weekend. I got my rasps in the mail yesterday and my draw knife should be arriving today. Now I just need to find my chisels and a log.

Until next time!

• Michael

Mahalo Michael! Thanks for getting back to me.
I enjoyed your company as well. Always makes a difference having a neighbor you can call a friend.

An artists occupation is creating inspiration and I'm glad I have done that.

If you need logs I might be able to help. send me an e-mail

[email protected]

I might be able to hook you up or point you in a direction.

Grog,

Thanks for the correction on grammatical error. I keep forgetting, but mostly thanks for reading and checking up.

G
GROG posted on Sun, May 26, 2013 11:09 AM

And yet, the title of the thread still has DON THE BEACHCOMBERS with an "S". :x Easily fixable:

Step #1: Go to the first PAGE of the thread and click on the first POST of the thread.

Step#2: Click on EDIT button:

Step#3: Go up to the TITLE box and delete the "S", and then go down and click on SUBMIT.

Do this and you will avoid GROG' ire. :)

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-05-26 11:11 ]

Well,

At long last corrected. Thanks for the advice Grog

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunset-Tiki-Works/313425882028406?ref=hl

Sunset tiki works is on Facebook.Come and see me there!

G
GROG posted on Sat, Jun 1, 2013 12:01 PM

Yay! Title changed.

Nice Tiki Totem , too.

Yeah!

Thanks for the info.

Back at Don's guys!

This guy has been sitting on the shelf for a while. He's made from a difficult and split tendency wood, but should take on a good vintage look if he doesn't split too dramatically.

Good to see everyone. Kino, the master of steel guitar is back too. Yo, locals! Drop in and say hi!

Don the Beachcomber is as good as it gets.

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2013-06-07 22:20 ]

This Butt's For You!

T

Very cool! I like the tiki pole from above. I saw the finished pics on facebook - AWESOME!

Another work in the curing process. This guy may be one my most grotesque works, but the wood shape was made for that!

On 2013-06-10 08:26, TheBigT wrote:
Very cool! I like the tiki pole from above. I saw the finished pics on facebook - AWESOME!

[/Thanks for the input! Tha pole guy is a stump in the ground 11 ft. Tall w/4 heads. Below is the praying tiki.
quote]

On 2013-05-24 13:51, GROG wrote:
Still no "S" on Don the Beachcomber.

But there is an "S" in Don's! See...

picture stolen from Adrian's facebook

Buzzy Out!

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jun 14, 2013 11:30 PM

Yeah, but that only works when Don's is SHORT for Don the Beachcomber. It doesn't work when it's Don's the Beachcomber, because then it would mean that Don possesses a beachcomber rather than meaning that Don IS a beachcomber, which is the original meaning of the title. And it DEFINITELY doesn't work as Don's the Beachcombers. But, Buzzy already know all that---Buzzy just jerk GROG chain. You bastard!

Thanks for the Facebook stuff guys! Comments welcome.
Nice Picture of the 'Don's' Swordfish. This place really is a work of Art (literally, Art Schneider) and a piece of paradise where we can get away for a while.

In the beginning, there was a log.
And the Log was void and without form.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Jun 15, 2013 10:06 AM

It has a "log" form. :D

G
GROG posted on Sat, Jun 15, 2013 10:06 AM

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-06-15 10:07 ]

A Biblical quote, not an absolute.

Meaning the log is to become a Tiki of course

And the Artist Said, "Let there be shape" and the fun begins.

T

On 2013-06-15 10:06, GROG wrote:
It has a "log" form. :D

Haha!

let there be Tiki!

And then there was Tiki

And on the signiture day he rested.

(Actually, he went to get another log)

A
amate posted on Wed, Jun 26, 2013 7:31 AM

On 2013-06-25 23:35, Sunset Mike wrote:

(Actually, he went to get another log)

Yeah! get another one man. Gotta make up for all that time off! :)

Crazy Al stopped by today. Say's, "You were working on that last Time I saw you".
Yep, I decided to give her a refinish and a refinement. She's going to need more teak oil and some time curing.

I"m looking into making a mold to do some replicas for sale. I just can't bear to part with her. Lot's of time in that girl. And it's Old hand work.

P

I prefer the insane fleshy ones myself, but I could definitely see the advantage of having one who can't talk...

PJC 5150

Proudly Bud, she cannot replace the fleshy versions. She is Sort of a salute to their beauty.

(5150? I guess you do like the insane ones!)

![](https://tikicentral.com/uploads/10916/51d3cc
[img]https://tikicentral.com/uploads/10916/51d3ccb5.jpg)88.jpg[/img]

The curing process. Such detail color hues with the grain of this China Doll wood. How fortunate I am to have experimented with it. The colors will blend after the teak oil cures out but the details will be visible.

Noting the wood grain on the face and breasts. Areas on the sides take lighter hues as the cells are more resistant to absorption of the oil.

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2019-01-01 18:22 ]

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2013-07-03 00:09 ]

That's really impressive Mike, the human body has got to be one of the most difficult things to represent...

That's a fact!

I need a model. They cost unfortunately. Even when you can find one who'll undress for free they hate standing in the same position for long periods. Best I can do is the best I can do.

Just the beginning, Keep you posted!

I've decided to another woman. I've got a full time job and can take some time away to make a 'Too much time and quality to sell" promotional work.

The armature. Basically a wire skeleton for holding together a plastoline sculpture to serve as a model for my next schefflera wood girl'

Finally getting around to bringing her out of the wood.

so far, so good.

Naturally, her birthplace is in the Background. Prude patrol be damned, this Mermaid is going topless!

Jeweler Binoculars and micro chisels for fine detail.

Taking shape you get the attachment of a creator. 'It' becomes 'She'

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 601 replies