Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Don the Beachcomber

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 601 replies

Don's own Jennifer and a customer on a night out pose with the American
Sweet Gum stick. This is pretty nice stuff to work with, its soft, but takes detail very well.

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-08-25 20:03 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-08-25 20:05 ]

Catch an Eyeful guys! This is Devon, and she took my breath away clear across the parking lot. She says she Loves Don's and Don's draws in the Beauties. Being the resident Tiki Artist carries with it fringe benefits I indulge in constantly. Oh, in other news she is holding my latest American Sweetgum stick style guy. More images of that later.

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-09-06 22:31 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-09-06 22:32 ]

T

Mike, that sweetgum stick is looking good! How hard do you find the smaller pieces to carve? I've tried larger logs of sweetgum and it's really hard wood. However, the grain is really nice.

On 2015-09-08 07:22, TheBigT wrote:
Mike, that sweetgum stick is looking good! How hard do you find the smaller pieces to carve? I've tried larger logs of sweetgum and it's really hard wood. However, the grain is really nice.

The Branches are actually soft and easy to work. I don't have any trunk pieces to compare. It does not stain really well, but takes a good finish. That's my input thus far

The Manzanita Guy gets mounted and my spot gets invaded! The Double Decker Bus begins it's tour at Don's. And you never know who's gonna Show!

Hi Kahuna,

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-09-20 16:21 ]

On 2015-09-08 07:22, TheBigT wrote:

Landscapers usually give me branches if I want them. Look for a tree and ask permission.

Stuff in the works, and stuff completed. cedar, Manzanita and a lady posing with the group.

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-10-11 16:19 ]

The Wood that built the Temple of Solomon. I am blessed to have some to work with my hands. He's coming along and this wood requires patience and the ability to listen to the wood as it speaks. "Yes, that. No, other way. shave don't chop. easy.easy. Work with me, not against me."

Lindsay and Mike having been strolling by today repeatedly. They like looking at my stuff, I like their company. That's worth a pic!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-10-24 23:10 ]

Progression of the Cedar Head! Blackened, polished Bone made for his pupils. No stain was applied and this is good considering how agressively the Cedar wood absorbs the finish. Marine varnish was the decision as it would be more protective if kept outdoors. He still needs some more applications and some curing time and should be out on PCH with his brothers and sisters next week.

Now the Fun Part.

Enjoying a work I'm happy with and waiting to move on to the next. He was a lot of work and will command a high price. But will make someone, somewhere happy sometime to take him home and give him a name, and love him!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-11-19 19:40 ]

My Cedarwood Boy poses with his New Daddy! I took Cedarhead into the Dagger Bar just to keep him safe while I stored my carving equipment and "BOOM""How much do you want for him?" Cash and adopted! May you bring Joy and Happiness wherever you go. At the risk of being inmodest he is a beautiful work!

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-11-15 17:00 ]

Mike, I am seeing some Homer Simpson in that new Tiki....

On 2015-11-15 17:50, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Mike, I am seeing some Homer Simpson in that new Tiki....

D' OOOOH!

He probably likes donuts. Thanks, I hadn't thought of that. Yes, Homer in a bad mood. Maybe Marge for the next one!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-11-15 20:01 ]

My first time with Black Locust Wood. This stuff is exceptionally durable and seems to be between Ebony and Iron wood in Hardness. What a workout! However,It looks as though it will finish up beautifully !

In the interim, I have a smaller piece of Indian Laurel that,s making a mini Ku guy.

I'll be working on the black locust in between some others and taking my time with it. Trying not too hurry through a first run with this wood.

A group of admirers give me a pose. Happy Turkey day Tiki- ites, if I don't see you before then!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-11-22 18:22 ]

Here's Alexis!

A Beachcomber Cutie with my latest Indian Laurel wood Ku style Miniture nearly completed. I hope everyone's Thanksgiving was a good one. I am remembering with gratitude the abundance, experiences and another year of good memories being the resident Tiki Artist at Don The Beachcomber with special thanks to the whole crew, customers, business associates, entertainers and all connected. Glad to be a part of it! Top Billing for the Tiki Folks who've supported and encouraged me in my Tiki Workings and whom I have been glad to consider friends.

Here come the Holidays, Let's Rock!

Removing a little more of non-Tiki parts as we go. The rounded head look again as the wood has some very attractive ring features much like the Deodar Cedar does. The different hues should make for good color on this fella.

Robin of Don the BeachComber is more Beautiful than my work, but the work is mine and she is not. In any case the Black Locust Wood guy has a new Tung Oil finish. Tung oil produces a unique and beautiful finish. It also requires patience and care; but the results are wonderful. It has a pleasant nutty aroma about it as well. I'm very happy with this work!

More Tung Oil and more refining. Like spit polishing a shoe, the result has to be the reward. And it is. Thin coats, sanded between applications after drying. More and more depth and the woods features start singing.
Yes, I'm enjoying it!

![](https://tikicentral.com/uploads/10916/5680a9ee.jpg[/img
[img]https://tikicentral.com/uploads/10916/5680a9dd.jpg)

And the Manzanita becomes Tiki Pendents. This is a custom Job requested by a local. Teak oil finish on Both. 3 Inches. Jennifer puts one around her neck for a pose. Daylon is another of the Don the Beachcomber crew and like the others was glad to pose for me!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-12-27 19:27 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-12-27 19:28 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2016-01-02 22:33 ]

T

nice pieces, mike. i imagine it takes some convincing to get those back from the girls.

All this and the Hula Girls too! New Years Eve A Don's/

On 2015-12-30 09:19, TheBigT wrote:
nice pieces, mike. i imagine it takes some convincing to get those back from the girls.

I'm tempted to try and win their affections by with them! But it wouldn't work anyway; so I accept a compliment and get a squeeze once in a while.

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2016-01-02 22:31 ]

WC

Between the carves & the girls
there's something for every one on your thread.

that was much better than my new years!

Thanks Big T, Will Carve and Grand PooBah for your interest. Mahalo Brahs!

The Bad news I have heard lately is that the lovely Judy Luck is retiring from the Hula Girls. Heart-broken am I! We all know she's a beauty who carries it well and can wiggle in the grass skirt like there's no tomorrow. I wish her Luck, (No pun intended)In whatever she is moving on to and hope they can find someone comparable to take her place. (never, but we'll see what we get)
Other than that I say it's all good because if I have to think about it, Then everything's good

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2016-01-24 15:43 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2016-01-24 15:46 ]

Miss Mermaid is getting a re-finish. Curing out and looking good. But she always did!

I have to say this piece of Manzanita yielded a nice little work! It really was a matter of finding something in there and letting the wood take over. The Manzanita is really beautiful of itself and in projects like these I just give it a personality. Jennifer tops it off! I'll do it up with a little Teak oil to finish.

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2016-01-30 18:55 ]

C
cy posted on Sun, Jan 31, 2016 4:58 PM

I would not have seen anything in that manzanita branch but trouble Mike, nice use of the wood!

[ Edited by: cy 2016-01-31 16:59 ]

On 2016-01-31 16:58, cy wrote:
I would not have seen anything in that manzanita branch but trouble Mike, nice use of the wood!

Thenk Ye Bro! It was a challenge and it was trouble. but really all I did was carve a face in it, The wood itself is a sculpture of its own and you just try and bring out the best if it's there.

Whoa, that is a bummer about Judy...

The Hula Girls won't be quite the same for me, But chin up, we still have Neva Moore and Audrey. Hula Hotties who drive me up a wall with Passions. As for Judy I hope she gets that dream whatever it be and stays in Touch!

On 2016-02-02 19:54, lunavideogames wrote:
Whoa, that is a bummer about Judy...

A custom Job for a guy in Long Beach. A 3 header, the first 2 were chosen from my originals. Flattering!

A Don The Beachcomber resident work. This is a section of Podocarpus (Plum Pine). It carves well and I couldn't resist but make a full figured Ku. Back at it tomorrow.

Thanks Mike! And dont worry... I'm not going anywhere. Tiki is forever in my heart. =)

On 2016-02-16 22:02, JudyLuck wrote:
Thanks Mike! And dont worry... I'm not going anywhere. Tiki is forever in my heart. =)

Stay close, we luv u!

The evolution of a Queen Palm stump. This is a ten footer for a client in Long Beach. A family with Grand kids they selected smiley guys. The top 2 were based on projects of my own. Which is flattering as Hell! The Bottom guy, freshly coated with epoxy resin is of the Surf Tiki Caricature type and is a first for me.

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2016-02-16 22:21 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2016-02-16 22:22 ]

Good job.
I bet they're real happy with that
just out side the window like that.

Finished!

The couple is "more than happy" in their own words. He is, coincidentally in Hawaii this week and is showing this around to the locals.

Thanks for the compliments Will-Carve!

The Ku guy is finished. Marine Varnish and inlaid lead for balance. It looks good next to Jennifer. Bro Bamboo Ben shows up to add a Gilligans Island Barometer at Dons. and here is a piece of Manzanita that has something inside. Simple this time. I promise. Simple

Well, here is the same piece of wood. With some adjustments

It is amazing to me how the colors of Manzanita come on like a light after oil is applied. Tough to work, but too beautiful to resist. We have all known some people like that, have we not?

Jennifer and my latest. I cannot get over the natural beauty this Manzanita. "The Candy Colored Clown" is all I can think of when I look at him.

We know what I think seeing Jennifer. Beauty, Beauty, Beauty....

Mexican Fan Palm. Really dense and heavy. This is my first attempt at MARQUESIAN Styling. There are rules that must be adhered to before it can be Baptised "Marquesian" style. I'm starting here.

Sold him already!

Victoria is visiting from Minnesota and taking a genuine, handmade piece of Surf City with her as a souvenir! This is a Classic Mid Century style; made from Podocarpus woodand has the addition of a Lotus Flower symbol at her request. Sometimes I don't keep them for very long. The Teak oil was still tacky in this guy.

The Island Girl. Hand Carved in 2011 by yours truly, has been sold. A high priced work, she finally found someone to love her besides her creator. I feel an attachment to works like her and like thinking of them as mine so it's sometimes a little hard to give them up.

Daddy'll miss you baby.But you made me proud and you'll make your new Dad real happy for many years.

C
cy posted on Sun, Mar 20, 2016 3:14 PM

Take heart SM, I have found that the rush of someone plunking down their hard earned dinero for something that you have made is worth the feeling of loss.

On 2016-03-20 15:14, cy wrote:
Take heart SM, I have found that the rush of someone plunking down their hard earned dinero for something that you have made is worth the feeling of loss.
I agree. Validation and income. "Wow It's Beautiful!" doesn't sound as good as, "I'll take it!"
The money does console!

Another Manzanita work. This one had a great deal of the dark red wood to it and with the teak oil application took on a rich-red, Mahogany like hue while still retaining some contrast. It turned out well, but it's not easy. The results are the reward. He is already sold. A return customer messaged me from New York City and said he'll be out again next week and wants to take it home.

I'm proud of this one. More comin!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2016-03-26 15:50 ]

![](https://tikicentral.com/uploads/10916/57006b35.jpg[/img
[img]https://tikicentral.com/uploads/10916/57006b45.jpg)

He turned out well!. I decided he'd look better with a Satin Finish look and did some corrections. I don't have any images of that, because he is now in the possession of his new owner. The customer is a return customer who saw him on Sunset Tiki Works FaceBook and decided to pick him up while he was here for a visit. I'm sure he'll enjoy him.

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2016-04-02 18:07 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 601 replies