Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Don the Beachcomber

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 601 replies

Way cool...

7 pages of posts and I thought you had just started. You should catch your gallery up and post a photo of every completed work you have ever done. I love Tiki Central and all the art posted here. Wendy

Alright Wendy,

I added some to the gallery. But I was really thinking of that for "Available' for sale works, But perhaps that will help. Why not show us a little of your stuff or give me a link?

Here is a pedestal made from Cypress burl and accentuated by chiseling and teak oil.

No stain, natural wood hues.

I love it!

Rear View

And in action holding up the Island Girl among current works. Nice weather today!

Stumped Again!
This is an interesting burl I am converting into a pedestal. I will post as it progresses.

T

Yeah, that second stump is much cooler. Nice find.

Bark removed. This piece will be define shaped using a gouge chisel only. It is the work of an Artist far beyond any of us!

And, Yes! It was quite a find! I'll have to inquire what kind of tree it is. But it's local out of Long Beach.

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2012-03-11 20:23 ]

It's Elm wood!

Rosewood stain. This one will have the holes filled with clear epoxy resin and coated over with the same.

S

Nice to see you still carving sugar daddy. Holy crap the beach girl!!! I'm sure your very proud of this one.

P

cool man!

Thanks Grom, proud yes, but this is really just a refinement of the the universal master.

"Tiki's are made by fools like me,
but only God can make a tree"

pjc5150 I was Born in Tampa at McDill Air force Base!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2012-04-23 23:37 ]

On 2010-10-01 16:04, Sunset Mike wrote:
May you bring Happiness and prosperity wherever you go!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2010-11-05 10:31 ]

I really like the facial expressions you get, very expressive!

Latest in the works. Queen Palm

Turning out pretty well!

[img]https://tikicentral.com/uploads/10916/4fa9bb43.jpg[/img

Re-doing the coating. An outdoor Tiki, Like yacht, needs maintenance.

happy Guy!

[img]https://tikicentral.com/uploads/10916/4fb35f35.jpg[/img

Unknown wood. Retrieved from my old neighborhood in San Bernardino.

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2012-05-16 01:06 ]

Unique stuff on the unknown wood! Looks great so far!

nearly ready, turned out well and kind of unique!

H

I like the fact that all your pictures are from the parking lot at Don the Beachcomber, and I like the newest piece.

Mahalo!

Kind of a mounted mask. Lately the visitors have been asking for smiles. So trying this- He's a happy mask type!

Hi Mike, we have been to two of the sales at Don's. We hope to go to more in the future. Maybe one day Dan and I will meet you. Meanwhile I sure do like your carvings. I just visited you on Gallery, Wendy

I'm having a sale today in which I'm bargaining at sacrifice. Need Money and an answer to prayers.

562-822-8192

have a range of tiki's from 6 ft down to 10 inches.

God Bless All! Sunset Mike

Another is ready

How did the sale go at Don The Beachcomers? Wendy

Not real well, a few tire kickers and a few no-shows.
but I did a little better next week. I'm still offering my stuff at cut rate and have another in the works.

this guy is in the works. starting back on him tomorrow.

Here 's the latest. Comments welcome!

P

best of luck with the next sale.

whatever is going on, I hope it gets better brother...

It's already getting better.

I've sold three this week and have a job 2 job interviews pending. Times are tough for a lot of us right now. I am working part-time and hoping for better stuff coming up. God bless The crew at Don the Beachcombers for giving me a place to work and a bowl of soup.

Prayer is the thing.

Thanks,

Here is a stick being converted into, well, whatever it becomes.

Coming along! Beautiful day out today!

Looking good Mike! .... and yes it was a beautiful day ... looking forward to El Nino parking on our coastline this summer! Warm water+Sandy Beaches+Sunny days=Creative inspiration!

C
cy posted on Fri, Jun 15, 2012 8:33 AM

That looks good Sunset Mike, I have a similar piece going but not that huge. What did you use for a base to hold that big guy up and what kind of wood is it?

right now it's being held up in a vise. Eventually I'll either peg it to a base or just leave it natural.
It's sort of a staff, but the wood is a little too fragile to be used for that so it's really a decoration.

I'm not sure what kind of wood it is. I get what I can where I find i usually. A form of recycling!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2012-06-15 11:50 ]

Come by, Say hi!

Mahalo!

P

whoa...how tall is that thing?

Good question, Jeff! I'm wondering if it is phone pole size are just a deceptive camera shot .... either way, it is impressive!

a deception yes, but not intended. Taking an image from below I was trying to capture more feature and ended making it look 10 feet tall. It is actually less 5 feet and is sort of a walking stick. Amazing what illusions photography can create. As I said, not intended, therefore not deceptive.
Thanks for the comments!

H

Either way it looks great. I like the pale color.

Nearly ready. Teak oil provides color along with a small amount of stain.

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2012-06-21 19:51 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 601 replies