Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Don the Beachcomber

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 601 replies

You're in here Darling, I just need to bring you out.

Patience, patience....

Gettin there, gettin there.

I found out this wood The same used for the Island Girl in earlier posts) is an Octopus wood but is not Schefflera.

It is Radermachera sinica in the same family as the Desert Willow but is native to subtropical China and Taiwan. It's called 'China Doll'

How Appropriate!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2013-09-02 19:53 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2013-09-02 19:55 ]

patience is essential. Progress at a crawl, hoping the end result will be more than worth it.

A little progress. Scales beginning; a long tedious process. I decided she needed to have a butt. With scales, but a Butt.

We're getting there!

Teak oil or lacquer? I haven't decided yet.

A
amate posted on Tue, Oct 8, 2013 7:15 AM

That is one damn fine carve Mike!!!

T

Wow, incredible work.

Thanks for the input guys!
It's been a while since I've heard anything from Tiki Central and I was beginning to wonder if our folks had abandoned the sight.

We're in the final stages and I'm getting ready to mount her on a wood burl or other item. As always, welcome comment, suggestions and criticisms alike.

feel welcome!

C
cy posted on Sun, Oct 13, 2013 3:55 PM

A beautiful carving Sunset Mike, I hope you don't take offense when I say she has a nice rear end.

This Manzanita Burl is a great a compliment of my sculpture as I could hope for. The work of the Ultimate Artist holding the works of human hands.

Pretty close to putting on the finish.

On 2013-10-13 15:55, cy wrote:
A beautiful carving Sunset Mike, I hope you don't take offense when I say she has a nice rear end.

None whatever! I would have it no other way than that. Nice for a fish butt.

The Finish. Teak oil was the decision. It does somewhat take away from detail, but the color is beautiful. It will take about a week to cure.

In works such as her I use the traditional Artists Moniker. The name that goes back to my days as an oil painter.

H

Very nice.

The Mermaid beside her Sister 'The Island Girl'

Miss Mermaid, (I am calling Phygia) is nearly completed. I am sifting through minor things and allowing the finish to cure out.

Oh yes, I am proud of her.

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2013-10-20 23:02 ]

H

Beautiful work.

A
amate posted on Mon, Oct 21, 2013 5:14 PM

:up: ditto. Well done!

Thanks guys!

An Artist mentor listened to me as I spoke about how much time has gone into this piece. He reminded me that many works have taken quite a while. (Michelangelo's David, 4 years)

Yes, these undertakings are worth it in the end, especially when I get all the positive feedback!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2013-10-22 10:10 ]

Working on lot's of little, hard to see refinements today. The Manzanita Burl must be finished separately then both are sealed with Museum Earthquake putty.

The greater the effort, the better they become, the more I love them!

One more Butt Shot!

This is really the Honeymoon Phase. Showing it off, taking snaps, getting compliments and accepting praise for a job well done.

I hesitate briefly, Rest and bask in viewing her. Praising God and thanking him for the gifts he has given me and the opportunity to share them. My small imitation of him. Out of dust he made us, out of wood I made her. I enjoy. And then we move on to the next.

There are small things yet that I must correct, adjust, improve. Nothing apparent to the untrained eye but visible to my Artist Mentors who will judge my work and direct me in my progress.
The young Lady in this image is "Haley", she works at Don the Beachcomber and was nice enough to pose and smile.

P

Very nice Mike.... :)

The whole family together. Sons and Daughters of a common Dad. Below Phyrgia the Mermaid after a few minor refinements. Still not ready to baptize her as being 'Done'

On 2013-10-31 18:11, pjc5150 wrote:
Very nice Mike.... :)
Oh yes, Haley's a cutie, And the Mermaid is not bad either! Thanks, It's been a while since I've heard from you

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2013-11-03 21:53 ]

Here's Vinnie at DTB givng tiki central 'The Bird"

This piece of Arizona Cypress came from the Vedante Monastary up in Trabuco. I used to make a very nice incense out of the resins of this tree and gathered them up at the monastary where a friend of mine was a monk. Very fragrant wood, solid, long lasting and beautiful. Used for making musical instruments, paneling and in the distant past coffins. It resists rot, chemicals, insects and fungus's real well. Carves good too!

The knots on this piece were placed in such a way that I could not resist building a bird around them and using them for eyes. I'll post again after some more finish has been applied.

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2013-11-17 22:27 ]

Eucalyptus, golden Mahogany stain, teak oil finish.

AMATE
If I never thanked you personally, I appreciate your work equally!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2013-11-22 15:12 ]

Progression of a wood scrap. A burl-type section like this makes for a grotesque little tiki!

Remembering this is a day for Thanksgiving!

Blessing and graces to all!

Sunset Mike

The Black friday Rainbow over "Don The Beachcomber'

2 finished pieces, both 10-12 inches tall. Carved from California sycamore. The grotesque burl head is golden mahogany with teak oil finish. The other has burned in manta ray symbol (graceful strength) and diamond. light staining and shellac finish.

The 2 news table tops (10`12 inches)

The Sycamore wood is very absorbent and stain tends toward being blotchy. The interior wood has different hues as well. Suitable for the more grotesque works such as these 2. The others may get bows on them for the holidays but I haven't quite decided. They would look good under a Christmas tree!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2013-12-02 18:54 ]

This is Lemon Gum and proving to be interesting. The unique and suggestive shape of this section did tempt me to do something worthy of the Tiki Erotica link, but well, I work in public so... Rated 'G'

This little piece of Sycamore made a nice little fella. Burnt oil and shellac finish.

Not that anyone on Tiki Central would do it. But the image below is of a really quality piece of Camphor tree I had stashed out back at Don The Beachcomber.

Unfortunately, someone helped themselves to it which has me, of course, irritated to say the least.

Dear Person or Persons concerned,

The things you do will always comeback to you one way or another. I will of course say a prayer that you are spared the Karma in this matter. But please do not help yourself to things without asking. It is common courtesy and a commandment of the first order and if you're a Tikidom person you've got a way to go before you'll be one of us.

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2013-12-18 14:27 ]

Well, I still have the Lemon Gum. And he turned out pretty well. The unique growths of the tree made for the oversize tongue and Durante Nose. It reminds me of a Jim Henson Character for whatever reason.

"For unto us a Child is born,
Unto us a Son is given;"

Sunset Mike Loves The Hula Girls! They called me up last minute to Don my Chef's Coat and Carve the meat on the buffet for the New Years Eve Bash.

Lucky Me!
The Hula Girls were there and I love their Hulabilly stuff. A Great group that I hope you get the chance to see live. They Really Rock!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-01-04 06:53 ]

The Red Head is Judy Luck. I didn't get a chance to speak with the Dark haired Hulatress, but they both can really wiggle out the Hula stuff.

Not much chance to socialize with the girls as they're burning calories on the bandstand.

Having studied Ballet myself for over 20 years, I can appreciate the demands of performing on dancers. It's physically demanding,
It's a workout!
and you have to make it look effortless for your audience. These two are absolute pro's!

You gotta love'em!

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-01-04 07:04 ]

If there's a Tiki in here, I'm gonna find it! Ponderosa pine, (like all varieties of fresh pine) is resin filled and gums up the tools as you work. But can, with some patience and persuasion, yield the being within. This is wet stuff and we'll see how it goes. The burl atop this piece is too beautiful of it's own to be messed with and will make a great head ornament, The work of the ultimate artist being complimented by the work of the human artist. With requests to the Ultimate Artist by the the human imitator to guide well his hands.

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-01-04 07:17 ]

Watch the progress here!

https://www.facebook.com/SunsetTikiWorks?ref=hl

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-01-04 07:20 ]

P

^ that one is killer Mike...

A
amate posted on Tue, Jan 7, 2014 4:08 AM

First you inspired me to attempt a mermaid.
Now, you've got me thinking Hula Girl...
Nice photos!

Hula girls really are within the realm of encounter more so than Mermaids. But for Artworks, everything is available! Very flattered to hear I have inspired you Bro!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-01-10 17:58 ]

On 2014-01-06 08:32, pjc5150 wrote:
^ that one is killer Mike...
Thanks for the compliment! The owner is getting ready re-finish it. Like your home they need routine maintenance.

Robin, another beautiful concierge of Don the Beachcomber displays my first Bone carving.

After carving has been stained in strong black tea and soaked in mineral oil to blend colors,protect and shine. I'm going to do some more of these and will experiment with different stains, finishes waxes and the like. Altogether I am happy with how it turned out and happier yet that Robin would display it for me!

Here's another Sycamore wood Tiki. Teak oil finish, Golden Mahogany stain and torched highlighting. He has that stubbed my toe look very common to the Hawaiian tikis.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 601 replies