Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Conga....Wisconsin stuff!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 2,403 replies

That's really good.
Now that's how you loose the shape of the wood.

N

Conga today was the first time i scrolled through your work its very inspiring . Thank you so much for carving a path for me to follow. God Bless

Thanks Will and Nicework, I appreciate your visit and your kind words.

And Nicework, thanks also for digging through my fairly lengthy thread, happy
that I can offer a little bit of inspiration. Most of my finished works can
be found on page one....just in case anyone else is interested.

Was just gifted some really nice chunks of dry cedar..early progress pics coming
soon as i attempt to turn one into a tiki.

Beautiful work. Love it!

A
amate posted on Tue, Feb 24, 2015 6:53 PM

On 2015-02-21 16:15, nicework wrote:
Conga today was the first time i scrolled through your work its very inspiring .

I still remember the first time I happened upon page one of your thread Conga. No one puts more "spirit" into a piece that you IMO. They have the same emotional impact on me as the pieces I see in the museums. Always a fan!

H

One of my favorite carvers on TC for sure. :wink: :wink:

Wow, thanks AlohaTT, Amate and Hiltiki, you're gonna make me blush.

I appreciate your kind words, Amate, and I do try to make my pieces a
little spiritual, mysterious, etc.

Hiltiki, what can I say, I'm honored that you own one of my works :)

And, more "tiki" on the way soon!

C
cy posted on Thu, Feb 26, 2015 8:10 AM

Love all the negative space in this one conga.

Thanks Cy, actually I think I have more negative space than positive space in this one. I will have to post another pic to illustrate the point.

Anyhow, I am working on a nice chunk of cedar, and hoping to come up with something that has elements of tiki and what some of us might call tiki modern, I'm sure you've read the book :)

Also want to say this the "carving" thread seems to be getting fun again, sorta like the old days. If any of you other old timers are still around...chime in once in a while.

N

Looking forward to see the progress. I see that your a chisel guy. When carving Ice I was a old school chisel guy,
Every body switch to power, when carving Ice they have bits today that mimic chisels , Using chisels with Ice is easy because its like a shaving action, Chisels with wood is hammering and time consuming, But looking at your work the end results are very rewarding,

I thank you for the incoragement,

A little progress from northern Wisconsin, peace and happy spring
to all!

I like this guy!

T

sweet carve conga! yep, happy spring!

A
amate posted on Sun, Mar 22, 2015 6:06 AM

More smiles coming my way from Wisconsin!

Thank you to the gentlemen from Texas, and Amate, happy that you like him. He's not quite finished,
but he's getting comfortable with some of the other characters around here

This just my second carving of the year, only 790 behind Nicework :)

[ Edited by: congatiki 2015-03-26 07:04 ]

N

looking good you have quite a collection

C
cy posted on Thu, Mar 26, 2015 9:05 AM

Very cool group shot conga, stylish!

I love carving little pieces of Basswood - My head would explode if I got a big piece! Seems like you need to pick up the pace to catch Nicework.

Hey, it's finally springtime in the northwoods. Now for something completely different,
how about Egyptian-Tiki?

It's a cedar Anubis with one floppy ear, in memory of our little chia-poo Petrie, lost earlier
this year to the ravages of old age...

Sorta Tiki, right?

T

On 2015-04-26 04:38, congatiki wrote:

Sorta Tiki, right?

I think everything you do is sorta tiki! :)

Tiki or not, always a pleasure to see your work conga!!

A
amate posted on Sun, Apr 26, 2015 6:48 AM

Nice carve and nice tribute...sorry for your loss.
That is a beautifully grained piece of wood BTW.

C
cy posted on Sun, Apr 26, 2015 4:22 PM

A nice tribute conga, it does look Egyptian.

[ Edited by: cy 2015-04-26 16:23 ]

Moai-esk
like a moai dog.

N

cool! love the grain

B

Definitely sorta tiki and Cool one at that CongaT.

C

Something new we are working on in the northwoods of Wisconsin. Thanks for peeping in.

C
cy posted on Mon, Aug 3, 2015 8:32 AM

Like the design and the wood conga, extra credit for the holes on top!

You get what I tell WillCarve all the time. Its a nice start!

T

Niiice conga! I'm really liking that.

A
amate posted on Tue, Aug 4, 2015 5:01 AM

The Northwoods must be full of Basswood...
It is a nice start Conga.

Why am I so slow? still tinkering along on this guy, and not currently planning to go any deeper. But Aloha...I still appreciate the nudge.
Here's a little update and aloha from Conga on his 65 birthday :)

Thanks for checking in.

Happy birthday.
What ever you do.
Don't stop chippin.

H

Happy Birthday and I am looking forward to very many carvings.

Hi friends...it's been a while. A belated "thank you" for the birthday wishes.
So.....a tiki mask

and a Bumatay-inspired carving...almost finished...perhaps a little color coming

and a shot of my backyard "bird of paradise"

OK, so it's a black capped chickadee :)
Thanks for checking-in at Conga's Corner.

A
amate posted on Sun, Sep 27, 2015 6:02 AM

Lookin' good Conga! I even like the B.O.P ! Sometimes all we can do is try to find a bit of beauty and paradise where ever we are.

T

hello friend, yes it has been a while! but great stuff. love the mask, it's so retro looking. tropical leaf motif in the eyes? killer!

Thanks Amate and Big T---

Always appreciate the kind words. Yes--happy someone noticed the "leaf eyes." I must admit it sorta happened by accident--looks like some of the weeds in my backyard.

Gonna get a little paint to splash on these guys---just the birds at the top of the larger carving---maybe some light accents on the mask.

Hopefully will find time to offer a little update on these and other projects in the near future. Peace in Tiki.

Happy New Year from the northwoods! A lot of nice and inspiring carvings from you guys, looking forward to a more active carving year for me. Have been working on a couple of things, a "Federal Eagle" and, of all things, a"Tiki."

best wishes!

T

On 2016-01-01 11:27, congatiki wrote:
Happy New Year from the northwoods! A lot of nice and inspiring carvings from you guys, looking forward to a more active carving year for me. Have been working on a couple of things, a "Federal Eagle" and, of all things, a"Tiki."
best wishes!

Love those! That tiki is awesome. Happy New year!

thanks BigT, the "tiki" is a bit of a Bumatay knock-off.....just smaller.

Looking good. I especially like the last carve you posted. It gives off a whimsical tiki vibe (a least to me) which is what got me hooked.

B

Looking good Conga!

Hey Grand Poobah and Benz, thanks for the kind remarks.
Nice to see you visiting here for a little bit Ben. Whenever I carve anything I have one motto in mind....
WWBD.....What Would Ben Do? Sometimes I do better than others :)

Hey conga! Dig that buma!! It looks like he's about to start dancing!!

K
Keylo posted on Sun, Jan 24, 2016 8:12 PM

really like the tiki under your Federal Bird. You got so much expression out of minimal lines. Really cool vibe!

J

Bump.

Holy crap - a JohnyP sighting!! Still carving??

Wow, talk a bout a couple of old timers coming out of the woodwork! Thanks for the "bump" Johnny...and nice to see Alohastation here too. I still pop in quite often to see what's happening. Still carving but doing mostly my variation of "Bellamy Eagles." Have sold a few and having fun with it. How about you guys?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 2403 replies