Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Conga....Wisconsin stuff!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 2,403 replies

B

Nice looking fish and birds Conga, nice to see you still carving and learning!

Hey thanks for the kind words everyone, and extra thanks to Ben for stopping over
here. Still learning and whenever something needs a little extra effort I always
think of you. WWBD...what would Ben Do :)
So I think I finished the eagle and I splattered a little PNG influenced paint on
a fish. "The Clash" replacing exotica tonight...thinking of carving a tiki again.

It's all happening at the zoo.
I do declare.
[Simon & Garfunkel]
Your critters look good.
So do you standing there in your own museum.
Bring on the Tiki.

thanks Will :)
I am ready to move on from my zoo experiments, time to find a tiki somewhere in a
big chunk of Wisconsin basswood. Perhaps I have been intimidated by all of the great
tikis that you have been posting--but it's time to get rockin'.

As for the zoo--we have a little "joke" of sorts today.

A guy walks into a zoo....looks all around...can only find one animal in the place. A dog.
What kind of dog was it?
It was a Shih-Tzu.

your work is looking awesome

C

Thank you Marcus, it's wonderful that you stopped in for a visit:-) I've drawn a ton of inspiration from your carvings, as most of us around here have.
I promised or threatened that I would carve a tiki next, here we go...

Some spirits are starting to come out of the wood, not sure of their disposition at this point.

A
amate posted on Fri, Oct 4, 2013 9:03 AM

I can see him coming to life...he seems to be drawing breath.

B

Conga, I Love the way you make your tikis your own, this Moai is gonna be Killer Kool! Don't sweat the Zoo stuff either, do some more?

C

Everything Benz said! and come out to plaaay :)

C

Hey friends in tiki...nice to see you. Sorry that I have been pretty slow in
progressing with this guy. Plan on doing a bit of digging this week and will post
an update.
Hi Clarita...nice to hear from you again. Hope all is well.

Well, I guess I've become the slowest of the tiki carvers, but cold weather is my excuse. We were getting down to around 14 below zero recently so outdoor carving has pretty much ended for the season. The new carving station is in the basement and we have been able to move things along.
Merry Christmas and happy carving!

I like it, Gary. I like it alot. :D

Hi Fred...Nice to hear from another Wisconsin guy! Thank you for your comments,
I sorta like him too. Not sure where I'm headed with finishing touches, but
something will happen:-)

Way kool.......

Thanks Hang10...and Merry Christmas to all!

P

very cool bro...

merry christmas!

Thanks Jeff...one more thing. We are hosting a wonderful Russian girl through the Rotary Student Exchange Program
and she loves unicorns. I thought it would ne nice to chisel out a small carving for Katy (from Krasnador) for
Christmas. Here goes

Are unicorns "tiki?" I don't think so, but I am even more impressed with you carvers who work on the
small stuff, I think I lost a pint of blood doing this thing. Back to BIG!

T

Very nice Conga! I am still impressed with you depth of imagination! Glad to see you are still at it! Happy New Year!

C

Love the new winter Moai, and the little unicorn put a big smile on my face, very nice!

Thanks Tikigap and Clarita!

Nice to see you around these parts Gap, hope all is well for you. I still remember
that first Mai Tai you threw together at Coontiki I, it was all downhill from there :)
Or it may have been uphill, I think I was immediately disoriented.

And it's nice to hear from you Clarita, hoping that things are positive as we kick off
the new year. I'm glad the little Unicorn brought a smile to your face.

Hi everyone, all of you should just move your carving operations to northern Wisconsin. One of our coldest winters ever and more snow than one can handle. Since spring may never come I have been tearing into a chunk of basswood in my basement.
It's a tiki, or is it?

first carving update of the year, nice to get away from fish and unicorns. Peace.

C

A little progress this week, at least the woodchip pile is getting bigger.

See ya in another week or so.

B

Lookin GOOD Conga, Make it SOONER?

C

Looking good.

Sweet

C

Thanks Benz...Clarita...and Hang10...nice to have you pop in for a visit :)

This is (hopefully) going to be a tiki carving that's a little different. In the
many years I have been following the carvers thread I don't recall anyone doing a
"Menehune," the little peeps from Hawaiian folklore. So that's the "mission" for
this endeavor, hoping I can pull it off.

It will not be the common image of the fella with the big moustache. No "stash" planned for
this one.

A
amate posted on Wed, Mar 5, 2014 7:57 AM

I was wondering where you were going with this one. You always have a surprise for us.

T

On 2014-02-21 21:03, congatiki wrote:
Hi everyone, all of you should just move your carving operations to northern Wisconsin. One of our coldest winters ever and more snow than one can handle. Since spring may never come I have been tearing into a chunk of basswood in my basement.

That's funny, it's been one of our coldest winters too! But that ain't sayin much. :lol:

Lookin good!

C

Thanks Amate and Big T.
Took the Menehune outside for some grinding and sanding and such today...

He seems to be taking on a sense of contentment and serenity, I'm happy about that.

See you in a week or so.

B

WOW Conga, You Really have come a Long way on this, Looking WAY COOL!

HI Benz and everyone who peeps in. This happy fella is progressing, currently under the influence of
two coats of sanding sealer and two coats of ebony stain. I think I will do much more sanding and
re-finishing, but who knows?

I may name him "Voodoo Child."
Lots of nice carvings on TC lately.

Very cool mate

Happy Easter everyone. Not much happening here but I have stained and re-sanded this fella
several times. Finally nice weather in the Wisconsin Northwoods.

Just a simple little hello---but nothing compared with Cy's Super Easter Mega Update.
Happy carving.

C
cy posted on Mon, Apr 21, 2014 8:18 AM

The extra sanding and ebony finish really added to this piece conga. You guys here on TC are my only link to the carving world and I get anxious when I don't get my fix, thanks for the update!

P

nice!

A

:) :left: :down:

Nicely done Conga!

Great job on him. Love the ebony finish and it polished up like glass.

• Dale

Thanks Cy, 5150, my mate Amate and 'giles! I appreciate your thoughts--I wasn't sure if this carving was going to hit the mark. I generally don't use ebony stain and it seems to take a lot of work to achieve a consistent and deep finish, so it doesn't look painted. I think sanding and re-staining is rather addictive and I may turn this into a life-long project.

A few more shots and we're on to some other spring chizzlin'.

C

Great one! I see you are exploring new grounds too,
cheers to that, maybe not so comfortable like doing the same over and over,
but I think is what makes us learn the most, the uncertain paths..
That sometimes we do regret taking..
but if you get there, you are a lot more rich and experienced than before :)

Hello everyone....getting back to TC after a summer of carving fish and other stuff

And I've finally started to carve something big

Well he's not really that big

and wood for other projects too. Hope to see you soon.

Great to see you getting back to your roots!

Aloha to AlohaStation--

yes--roots are good! Although I "drifted" to chisel things that may be more appealing
in the northwoods of Wisconsin--the whole "tiki" thing (Polynesian, modern, tiki pop, etc)
is what got me interested in carving in the first place.

Plus--this place is still filled with a lot of inspiration to suck me back into tikis or at
the very least--tiki-inspired carvings.

Thanks!

Nothing happening here folks....just a little test to see if I can post a pic with my new computer. Looks like I can.
this is not finished but will be soon.

T

that's very nice conga. Happy new year to your thread! is it spring yet? :P

Thanks Big T. Yes, spring is here in Northern Wisconsin, overnite temp will be about 25 below zero.
This is a club, but I believe it's only good for one whack. Is it tiki?

https://tikicentral.com/uploads/2005/54e684a3.jpg
https://tikicentral.com/uploads/2005/54e683f4.jpg
https://tikicentral.com/uploads/2005/54e684a3.jpg
https://tikicentral.com/uploads/2005/54e68535.jpg

This little whacker is inspired by stuff in the "Pacific Encounters" book, but a little twisted as usual.
Peace and thanks for looking...bigger stuff coming when the weather breaks.

Looks like something is funky with the photo upload....will try again sometime.

[ Edited by: congatiki 2015-02-19 17:25 ]

N

Amazing!!

Thanks Nicework. Let's try that picture thing again.

ok...that's better!

[ Edited by: congatiki 2015-02-21 05:25 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 2403 replies