Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Carvings from Frog Island Tikis

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 1,214 replies

C
cy posted on Wed, Jan 23, 2019 8:18 AM

Thanks Jon, Wendy I have some earth blue, green and yellow glass pieces I'm making to inlay into that carving, should make it really pop. Will, I'd like to tell you the story of how I cut a bass wood tree down with my bare hands and milled it, but it does not grow here, rather I went to Crosscut Lumber in Portland and purchased a few long planks of it. I went looking for jelutong as it is better to work with, but that wood is getting harder and harder to come by. The bass wood is relatively cheap, I can buy nice chunks of it (this from a 12', 9" wide, 2" thick hunk), I have the rest of it going now, stay tuned.

H

Looking forward to seeing the glass inlays in this piece, please take some close up pictures.

C
cy posted on Sun, Feb 10, 2019 1:40 PM

Fired up the kiln this week hil, here are the results. I use a glass powder that I mix with aloe to get a kind of crumbly, cookie dough type consistency, but it works for primitive, easy shapes.

Damn, this is good rum.

Those inlays are way cool.
What's that white stuff &
where did it come from?

C
cy posted on Sun, Feb 10, 2019 2:43 PM

The exotic white sands of Oregon will, I am told it fell from the sky but I don't believe it.

Wait
Those are cookies
Send some

Cheers

Like that rum pic

C
cy posted on Sun, Feb 17, 2019 2:17 PM

Those cookies are tasty H10, but they are a bit rugged coming out. I've been working this beautiful oar the last few weeks, I think it is made from a solid piece of ash. I purchased it for 15 dollars at an antique store in Grants Pass Oregon.

Nice CY
But
What’s his name?
Hmmm
Oar from ash
Hmmm

Oa r ash
Hmmm

O-rash ?
:)

Lol

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2019-02-17 16:28 ]

Some one asked Mic Jagger what happens to old oars.
He didn't know,
he figured they just become respectable.

C
cy posted on Mon, Feb 18, 2019 8:07 AM

So close H10, "Orville". This old oar is only somewhat respectable Will.

H

Nice piece.

Wait
You can’t use the same name on your kids
So would it be Orville the second?

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2019-02-18 09:06 ]

C
cy posted on Mon, Feb 18, 2019 9:29 AM

Damn you Jon, it's Orville Jr.

C
cy posted on Sun, Feb 24, 2019 1:54 PM

Almost done with the paddle portion of "Orlando", his new name after H10 called him out.

Also started a 36" tall piece of poplar.

It is nice to just visit Home Depot and get a quality plank of wood.

Thin at 3/4"

[ Edited by: cy 2019-02-24 14:00 ]

Lookin good boss man

Looking again,
That plank is really stylish.

C
cy posted on Sun, Mar 10, 2019 10:00 AM

Thanks guys, Will I was trying to do something more simple and just got jiggy with it. I need some less expensive things to bring to Caliente, Tiki Kon, and Oasis and if this one sells I'll do more in the same, quick style.

How did you cut that out?
A "jiggy" saw?

C
cy posted on Sun, Mar 10, 2019 4:03 PM

Yes, I cut the shape and all the holes with a jigsaw and after filing, went in on places like the face with a chainsaw and arbortech, then started cleaning up with a dremel. So far no hand tools.

C
cy posted on Sun, Mar 17, 2019 1:56 PM

Painting in the balmy 50 degree weather.

And a new piece of bass wood started.

[ Edited by: cy 2019-03-17 14:01 ]

Dude
Killing it with those colors
Awesome

T

50 degrees. Brrrr. Man I don't operate very well at those temps.

That oar is really cool tho.

C
cy posted on Sun, Mar 31, 2019 2:21 PM

Thanks H10, BT the older you get the harder the colder weather feels. I stained this four foot tall basswood piece with red mahogany, then added acrylic highlights to match the glass inlays.

Sweet
Lil dude on top: nice touch
Well done sir

T

that came out great!

How will you ever let that one go? He looks like a king of the forest. Perfect colors. Wendy

On 2019-03-31 14:21, cy wrote:
... I stained this four foot tall basswood piece with red mahogany, then added acrylic highlights to match the glass inlays.

That is FANTASTIC!

C
cy posted on Sun, Apr 14, 2019 2:17 PM

Thanks H10, Big T and Sandbartender, I'm happy this one got some response as I was not sure. Wendy sometimes they are hard to get rid of as you well know, but selling them for me is the ultimate goal otherwise they would take over every nook and cranny that I have available. I ended up not liking the green lips so I sanded them down and made them blue instead.

Also did a smaller 30" tall piece of poplar.

Its a companion piece to this one. They go fairly quickly and give me something that is more affordable for the masses.

Dude
30 in poplar
Awesome

C
cy posted on Tue, May 21, 2019 4:38 PM

I managed a new poplar carving before heading to Tiki Caliente.
I was worried that the Day-Glo paint would be taboo, but it sold and now lives in Palm Springs at the Royal Hawaiian.

Warmer weather in Oregon permitted me to paint this big boy and bring also. He now live in Encinitas.

I had a great time with perfect weather. This is my beautiful spot inside a small cabana.

Lookin good Bruddah
Congrats on da sales

Cheers

And the crowd went wild!
Nice.

C
cy posted on Thu, May 23, 2019 10:02 AM

Thanks you guys, Will good luck at Hukilau!

I think of you when an event is on. I miss every one but I've been too busy to go. Hopefully next year. Wendy

I think of you when an event is on. I miss every one but I've been too busy to go. Hopefully next year. Wendy

C
cy posted on Fri, May 24, 2019 8:39 AM

Likewise Wendy, you were my first contact at my first tiki event way back at Caliente in 2011! Hope you and Dan can find the time next year!

C
cy posted on Sun, Jun 9, 2019 4:51 PM

Some progress has been made.
Floats made from cedar.

I'm going to see if they sell individually at Tiki Kon next month.

Another Rogue River paddle ready to paint.

A bigger hunk of cedar under way.

A large gecko on the back.

AWESOME

C
cy posted on Sun, Jun 30, 2019 4:06 PM

Progress on this big cedar log.

I painted it this weekend and am hoping it does not stink too bad for next weeks Tiki Kon event.

A new set of floats.

Freekin killer CY

H

Best set of floats I have ever seen.

C
cy posted on Wed, Jul 3, 2019 6:57 AM

Thanks H10 and hil, here are a few more painted and ready for Tiki Kon this weekend

Those floats are incredible!

WC

Wait till you float them past the crowd.
Sweet.

[ Edited by: Will carve 2019-07-04 07:11 ]

Awesome Will! Great seeing you at Hukilau!

C
cy posted on Sun, Jul 14, 2019 7:06 PM

Thank you sandbartender and Will, they sold out quickly at Tiki Kon so I'm back making more for Oasis next month.

Front and back sides

Here is the other set, burned and brushed.

Strung and hung.

I broke the bottom of one of these spears during travel so I bulked up the bottom with these skulls to prevent that from happening again.

Made from mahogany.

Also got this big dog finished.

[ Edited by: cy 2019-07-17 07:26 ]

C
cy posted on Mon, Aug 19, 2019 8:35 PM

I had another great time at Tiki Oasis.
My favorite band were the Insect Surfers.

Miss Tiki Oasis 2019.

Leopard skin print was the theme. They were drawn to the beautiful carving by Crazy Al.

This tiki table was a popular gathering spot.

Every year I say this is my last trip to San Diego, but so much action goes on in four days that I may have to reconsider and go in 2020.

[ Edited by: cy 2019-08-19 20:44 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 1214 replies