Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Carvings from Frog Island Tikis

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 1,214 replies

T

"mine was to nail wooden orange crate planks to the backside of the tree so I could climb and sit"

That is a good one too.
You could tiki it up and have a seat.
Kinda like a tiki life guard chair.

Will work on some smalls for you, do you need it to light or not?

C
cy posted on Mon, Jan 5, 2015 8:08 AM

Thanks mucho Benz! Skip I would love for it to light but am afraid it needs to be too small for that. About 2-3 inch diameter.

T

Ok Cy, Love working with you.
Here are a few that I'm not done with but gives you an idea.
In the end they will be hangers, Bud not included.
The first one is too big I know, but it gives you an idea of how the second one
would be finished.
Plus can always tie small floats with no lights.
Have some things I found that I think you can work with will send a box of stuff.

Should be done with the first two lights by July. Ha!

Winter Sucks!
Real winter, not that fake California winter.

TIKISKIP: Maker of TIKI bar lighting, Let me make one for you.

C
cy posted on Mon, Jan 5, 2015 12:52 PM

Those two are great for projects I have in the works, let me know when they are done! With the poplar piece I was looking for just a small tied float, I will email you the size of it and see if you have anything small enough. Thanks Skip.

Wow tikiskip and CY working together, now that's fun. Congratulations on saving the garage and having enough wood for a lifetime of projects. It will be super fun to watch you work. We sure enjoyed visiting you and frog island. You live in beauty.

Dan's loving the T-shirt so much that I got mine out and now I'm wearing it too. Softest T-shirt ever made and so warm with the long sleeves.

Miss you, Wendy

C
cy posted on Sun, Jan 11, 2015 3:38 PM

Lighting makes my stuff look more alive Wendy and who's better than Skip? Very happy you like the shirts and are advertising for me.
I did a bit this week on "Punchy's Brother", a noble log.

I had a forty year old untreated telephone pole that held an outdoor light on my property that finally rotted out and fell, so I used the best of it to start this water spouting tiki.

He will be spitting into the head of a smaller one that will leaking into yet another. Have not figured out how I will do that yet but that's just a minor detail.

The top portion of this walnut branch is taking way too much time.

Still a lot to do.

"Herb and Al" is being made from poplar. This is the one that I would like a float hanging from the top figure, but having trouble finding a small enough glass ball.

Great stuff, Cy!

A
amate posted on Mon, Jan 12, 2015 4:54 AM

On 2015-01-11 19:27, LoriLovesTiki wrote:
Great stuff, Cy!

Ditto

T

On 2015-01-12 04:54, amate wrote:

On 2015-01-11 19:27, LoriLovesTiki wrote:
Great stuff, Cy!

Ditto

Tri-Ditto (is that a thing?). Your imagination seems to know no bounds, cy!

I've had some 80 foot trees cut down, so I'm afraid to know what it cost to cut your 115ft tree down!

T

Cy let me know if one of these will work for you.
The smallest one is about golf ball size.
Please note that there are frosted and clear.

Can't get a light in these as they are too small.
Well we could, but the cost would be high as you know.
Let me know and I will start tying.

‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›•:TIKISKIP:•:MAKES:•:FLOAT:•:LIGHTS:•‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›

‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›

C
cy posted on Mon, Jan 12, 2015 7:52 PM

Thanks for the love from the Garden State Lori and from amate too! Big T the first estimate was $15,000, but he would take my motorcycle, a 7 ft. tiki, and 3 grand. The second guy said he had small children at home and wanted to see them again, and the third came two days before Christmas in the dark and said $5,000. He was well recommended so I jumped on it, as the irony of a falling tree squashing me like a bug as I carved would have really pissed me off, so it was worth it.
Skip, one of those would work great, here is what I have in mind. Drop from the middle of the outrigger to the bottom of the ball is 5". Thanks!

T

Ok Cy It's done.
Take a look.
I know the others are too small but you may be able to use em some day.
Big or small I tie em all.
The one mid photo hangs about 5.5 inches.
You may not need or like the wood hanger I added to this for you if
you don't like or need it feel free to cut it off, don't cut the rope though.

Going to try and get this out this weekend.

C
cy posted on Fri, Jan 16, 2015 8:21 AM

WOW!!! Absolutely perfecto skip, can't wait to see which one looks best, thanks a million! (Or at least a two dollar bill)

Ok Cy sent out today.
Sorry I'm so late, this cold weather has me movin slow.
Needed to use my jig saw to cut that wood mount I pit on the one float
and the dam saw was so cold it would not start, thought it was toast.
Then it fired up, Even power tools hate Ohio!

Sent other items that may be used as trim ideas some day.

Keep up the good work!!

C
cy posted on Sun, Jan 25, 2015 3:06 PM

Of course I am excited to see what the postman brings me this week John, thanks! Something about the finish of my last two pieces did not satisfy me. I added acrylic paint and other highlights to "Brunswick" and "Restless Natives" to make me feel better

Also proceeding on this bass wood square, "Lloyd" as in loiter or hang around.

Freekin awesome (like always)

:)

H

Great carvings, I like the little guy at the bottom of Brunswick and I like the blue color.

C
cy posted on Sun, Feb 1, 2015 2:37 PM

Thank you for the comments H10 and hil!! Besides paint I am done with "Koko", a piece of walnut. I will add an orange dye to the bottom figure, as I think that will make him look even angrier, then bring a few colored highlights to the top flute playing skeleton.

Also getting closer with this bass wood swing in the trade winds tiki.

Nice carve Cy. Love your style. Especially digging the skeleton playing the flute. Very original!

Love that swinging Tiki!!!!

T

Nice one Cy.
On those hooks and eye bolts even the angle strap you got there,I like to grind off coating
and rust em in salt water or acid so they go to rest.

Rust would be just about the same color as some of the stains you use.
Let me know when you get floats.

WC

All good stuff.
You're defiantly getting this "carve deep" thing down.

C
cy posted on Tue, Feb 3, 2015 6:17 PM

I have been enjoying your posts ATTC, thanks for the props! I appreciate it Vampiress, the idea came to me after endlessly looking at the big block of bass wood inhabiting my garage and thinking it may look good as a hanging gong kind of thing. Skip the angle strap will be covered with rope but I have been pondering what to do with the eye bolts and hooks. The best I came up with was to wrap 'em with jute but your trick o' the trade sounds better, thanks! Will I try to walk the line between deep carving and messing with the structural integrity of the piece. My yard is littered with the failures. I received the much anticipated arrival of Tikiskip's package today and what a treat!! Mixed in with the three floats were trimmings, chain, and assorted goodness that will surely find their way on future tikis. Thank you so much!!!

The smallest yellow float looked best.

I will add yellow fabric to the back panel, highlights to the carving, and back lighting to finish.

T

Was not going to add that float as I thought it too small.
Glad it worked for you.

Can't wait to see what you come up with on the others.
Let me know if any of that trim you can use they I can let you know what it is and where to buy.

C
cy posted on Sun, Feb 8, 2015 3:25 PM

It was a perfect size John, thank you again! The yellow color dictated the rest. I added an athletic gold felt back ground, then amber and red back lighting. I will throw in a few yellow highlights to the poplar carving, clear coat and be finished.

I added orange and clear paint to "Koko". A good steel woolin' to remove the shine and a few light colored brush strokes to the two sets of teeth will see him complete.

The lighted panel is killer!!

T

On 2015-02-08 15:25, cy wrote:

Awesome!! Cool box o'stuff from tikiskip too!

T

I like the gold felt back ground on this one Cy.
Let me know if you ever need help again.

Spring is commin and starting to get stuff in line so I can start building
lights.

C
cy posted on Mon, Feb 16, 2015 2:01 PM

Thanks Tom, Big T and Tikiskip, here is the finished panel.

T

Need to see a close up of that small detail on top of
both tiki.
Really nice, is that carved in?

PS that picture you posted of the box I sent you is on the image page already for Google
I think it was.

H

Your last piece looks great,it's just perfectly executed and finished. The color and detail is just perfect.

Aloha Frog Man
Looks awesome

Cheers

The yellow board does a lot to display the carve but
the light makes it pop

C
cy posted on Fri, Feb 20, 2015 8:28 AM

[ Edited by: cy 2015-02-24 16:35 ]

C
cy posted on Fri, Feb 20, 2015 8:29 AM

[ Edited by: cy 2015-02-24 16:36 ]

C

[ Edited by: cy 2015-02-24 16:36 ]

C

Skip I wanted this one to be priced reasonably so my original idea of carving those sections changed to thieving a pattern from Tiki Magazine and free hand painting with yellow and orange acrylic. Thanks a lot hil and H10!! Will, the stark contrast of the silhouette is what I was shooting for when I added the background but you are right, it almost looks plain without the backlights. (Holy cow conga you are right, something is whacky with the TC posting)

[ Edited by: cy 2015-02-20 08:38 ]

C

[ Edited by: cy 2015-02-20 08:36 ]

C

[ Edited by: cy 2015-02-20 08:35 ]

C
cy posted on Fri, Feb 20, 2015 8:30 AM

[ Edited by: cy 2015-02-20 08:34 ]

C

[ Edited by: cy 2015-02-20 08:32 ]

C

[ Edited by: cy 2015-02-20 08:31 ]

N

Love the detail !

C
cy posted on Sun, Mar 8, 2015 3:11 PM

Thanks nicework! I finally finished "Lloyd". The most fun for me is the start of a carving, but completion runs a close second.

He will be lit from the bottom, still figuring that portion out. Thanks again to Tikiskip, his care package from Columbus Ohio provided the ultra cool braided rope highlights.

The head dress of this character reminded me of Punchy, the Hawaiian Punch dude from my youthful daze, so his name is "Punchy's Brother." Wood is noble fir, and he is the evil twin.

[ Edited by: cy 2015-03-08 15:14 ]

[ Edited by: cy 2015-03-08 15:16 ]

T

Dam Cy I just saw this.
Looks good!

Glad you found a use for that trim.
I knew you could find a use for it.
You can in future burn and shellac that rope/trim too.
Let me know if you want some more to finish that end part on top.

C
cy posted on Sun, Mar 15, 2015 2:06 PM

You sly dog skipper, you noticed I did not have enough to finish the last section. I did not want to push my luck by asking for more. Anyhow here is a bit of progress.
I first used string lights in the bottom section of Lloyd but they were not bright enough. I then used amber and red sign bulbs which are much brighter but don't get too hot. To diffuse the light I added a frosted Lucite panel, then covered with matting.

Next time you see this jack- ass he will be mostly green.

N

I like your style!

Dude
U r sick
Awesome as always
C u at caliente
1st drink on me
U stud

Jon

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 1214 replies