Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Carvings from Frog Island Tikis

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 1,214 replies

Awesomeness

They just keep getting better and better!

C
cy posted on Sun, Mar 11, 2018 3:52 PM

I really appreciate the confidence boost TC friends, thanks! A dark stain added to the primitive nature of this basswood piece called "Unknown Navigator"

I used espresso.

I was ready to paint this cedar stump also, but a trip to Home Depot proved wasted as they do not sell tung oil in gallons. A quart will not go far on this absorbent MoFo.

[ Edited by: cy 2018-03-11 15:53 ]

Dark stain looks great
Like the blue touches

And the last guy is killer
He looks hangry

Unknown Navigator is simply magnificent! I mean, that's professional work in every sense.

Wow!!

I truly dig both Unknown Navigator and his cedar stump buddy!

Kudos!

H

Unknown Navigator is the best.

C
cy posted on Sun, Mar 18, 2018 2:50 PM

Thanks H10, I'm still reeling from news that you won't be attending Tiki Caliente, now I will have to stock my own bar. Prickli I cannot tell if I am enthusiast or pro but I like your prognosis. Cosmo and hil, thanks!!
Columbia blue highlights.

Not sure if you should use acrylic on top of stain, but "I'm a rebel Dottie"

Yellow cedar from Alaska.

Vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry finish.

Wow, those all look wonderful. Love the color additions. Wendy

Oh myyyy
Those look great
Awesome colors my bruddah

You could always stop by Vegas on your way to Caliente
:)

Woo,
That color is everything.
Really pops.

C
cy posted on Sun, Apr 15, 2018 3:12 PM

I always struggle with the notion of adding color but I says to myself "If the ancients had access to it they would have been stubborn and foolish not to use it" so I do. Thanks for the affirmation fellow TC friends.
Old growth cedar net floats.

This cedar log will be ready to paint next weekend.

It's a table sort of thing.

[ Edited by: cy 2018-04-15 15:14 ]

Killer floats
N lots of em

Table thang sweet

Keep it up Uncle

BB

That table is wild.

Is that table one piece of wood ?

C
cy posted on Mon, Apr 16, 2018 3:29 PM

Thanks H10 and Bam Bam, good question Will, yes it is one piece of cedar. I did a lot more planning on this one than I usually like to do, but cutting the arms, shoulders, hands, and bottom portion of table took me a long while. I just cut very small portions out a bit at a time, using all the connected pieces to keep it as stable and solid as I could. I kept the table top thick for the same reason. Bottom portion of carving is cut all the way through also, which I did not plan but decided I wanted it airier rather than solid.

Cha-ching.
extra credit applied.

C
cy posted on Sun, Apr 29, 2018 4:55 PM

I'm always happy when the teacher notices and gives me extra credit.
Progress on this cedar stump with no name yet.

This will be the last piece I paint with spar urethane.

Too plastic looking so I have to rub it out with steel wool or one of those green scrubber things.

More work in this area to be sure.

[ Edited by: cy 2018-04-29 16:57 ]

The top hat cannibal looks great

H

Great work as always, love all the tikis popping up.

H
Heath posted on Thu, May 3, 2018 8:29 PM

Looks good!

On 2018-04-29 16:55, cy wrote:
Too plastic looking so I have to rub it out with steel wool or one of those green scrubber things.

Sounds painful...

C
cy posted on Sun, May 27, 2018 7:38 PM

Thanks H10, hil, Heath, I enjoy what I do for fun so it's well worth the effort. I had a great time at Caliente again, here is a shot of my cabana.

The Skipper and Gilligan were there.

A thrill was selling this guitar tiki to Jack, on the right. To the left is Jason Lee, who supplied the abalone inlayed pick.

A collaboration mug with Michael Scibba.

An old growth piece of cedar going.

Flotsam and Jetsam from the Oregon coast.

Sorry we missed ya in Palm Springs CY
I’m sure the Rum was flowing
Great looking booth

U busy

Good looking pile of stuff.
Any thing left?
Bring it to Hukilau,
they'll love it.

T

That's off the charts cy!! Hmm, tiki fishing floats too? Love em. Makes me think tiki fishing lures wouldn't be such a bad idea.... hmmmm

C
cy posted on Sun, Jun 3, 2018 4:52 PM

Missed you two also H10, I did admirably in supplying rum to the local natives, Will vending would be too much but I hope to visit Hukilau some day. BT have you seen the gorgeous fishing lure that SpongeBob has hanging in his living room? Progress on that cedar hunk.

I added a few coats of tung oil, but not happy with the result. My next plan is to buy a large torch and burn the bajeezus out of it to see if I can pop the grain more. Should be fun as it is now rather flammable.

These are the only two floats that did not sell so I stripped them of their paint, carved deeper, burned, added new rope and repainted.

Cedar KU looks great
More floats
Awesome my man

How about some pics of Frog Island?

T

ya those floats are cool. I guess I'll have to look up spongebob living room...

C
cy posted on Tue, Jun 5, 2018 8:37 AM

Thanks Jon, burned this guy last night, I'm happier with his look.

He looks so happy

BB

Nice. Good and rustic.

H

Looks great.

C
cy posted on Tue, Jul 3, 2018 7:55 AM

Thanks for the comments Jon, hil, and BB! Here is what I have been working lately.
I put together a few sketches on this one.

Eight foot tall, six inches wide and two inches deep.

The small guy on the bottom will be holding a spear.

Being carved from Alaskan yellow cedar, which isn't cedar at all and smells like arborvitae.

Top guy will be sporting a fishbone head dress.

A picture around Frog Island for ya Jon, can hardly see the sky this time of year.

I drove to Tacoma on Saturday to pick up this beautiful carving from Gone Tiki. It was great to meet him and his wife and talk the process of making tiki.

"Porter" is a quick one I did for next weeks Tiki Kon. He will be my station for stamping passports.

And some new floats.

[ Edited by: cy 2018-07-04 16:21 ]

[ Edited by: cy 2018-07-04 16:23 ]

T

Nice new stuff Cy. Fishbone necklace looks cooool! Man that's a pretty epic tiki u picked up from GT.

C
cy posted on Sun, Jul 22, 2018 3:54 PM

Thanks BT, that carving from Gone Tiki has a place of honor in my home. I finally finished this mahogany piece, working off and on for the last three years. My biggest mistake was thinking that a Maori twist would be "fun", but other influences are Mayan ancient astronaut and a Witco I saw one time that stood up.

A bunch of pieces went into this one.

Planks stacked on top of each other.

I call it "Nightmare in Mahogany"because it was.

Dang Bruddah
Good 1

You may have out done
even your own self.
Man, that guy/those guys
tell a story.

C
cy posted on Mon, Jul 23, 2018 10:00 AM

Thanks guys, Will I am hoping you stowaway with Aloha for the journey to San Diego.

C
cy posted on Sat, Aug 4, 2018 4:48 PM

I look forward to all three of the tiki events I do in a year, but it is hard to beat the overload of Tiki Oasis next week in San Diego. Here are most of the carvings going with me.

Some of the floats.

I'm stopping in Sacramento to deliver the one on the right, but more importantly I will be picking up my swap ceramic piece of art from Wendy.

Nice line up CY-borg
1 question

Which one of those guys riding shotgun ??

See you in SD Bruddah

C
cy posted on Sun, Aug 5, 2018 4:41 PM

The captain rides up front, none ride shotgun H10, they all are in the back of the ship rowing.

:)

Great to see ya CY

PS
Those floats are even more amazing in person

Cheers

I feel lucky that I got to hug one of these guys this year. This morning I took a photo of our new CY art. I will post soon. Too lazy to go back downstairs to get my camera. Hugs again, Wendy

C
cy posted on Wed, Aug 15, 2018 4:59 PM

Thanks Jon, did not think you had time to look, I drank the rum I brought you though. Great seeing you Wendy, always enjoy the love!

C
cy posted on Sun, Aug 26, 2018 4:47 PM

My first carving of the New Year, which starts the day after I get home from Tiki Oasis. So much happens in San Diego that I am still tired.
A paddle finished, here is the bottom portion.

The whole enchilada.

I added a fez in the top handle portion.

I started a plug/lure wall hanging that I saw in SpongeBobs living room.

Also a chin high cedar piece.

[ Edited by: cy 2018-08-26 17:05 ]

[ Edited by: cy 2018-08-27 11:52 ]

Wow,
I'm still living it down from Hukilau.

C
cy posted on Tue, Aug 28, 2018 9:21 AM

Tiki never sleeps Will.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 1214 replies