Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Carvings from Frog Island Tikis

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 1,214 replies

You weren't suppose to spend all your doe on
the way home. However, you will have plenty of
stuff to sell next year by the time you chip
up that pile of logs you picked up.
Ah, the Tiki life.

C
cy posted on Mon, May 26, 2014 9:30 AM

Thanks MDM, I missed you also but did check out your cool installation at Tonga Hut! Hopefully you will attend Oasis. You are right Will, I did spend the profit but it was worth it to have some carved pieces from friends. Unfortunately those logs belong to Timber Cove-He never turned his back long enough for me to sneak one or two into my van.

P

nice bro... :)

C
cy posted on Sun, Jun 1, 2014 4:59 PM

Thanks pjc. Here is what has gone on the last few weeks. I cut a broken "Lucy" in half and inserted her into a new bottom section.

I will paint black to match.

These two bass wood pieces by themselves did not thrill me.

Stacked and with an added base made it better.

It's called a spooky "Cannibal's Cauldron"

Also worked this cedar shot glass/mug /bar kind of thingy.

Awesome bruddah

Jon

WC

There's no time for you to get in trouble.
You know that bar thingy one of my faves.

A
amate posted on Mon, Jun 2, 2014 5:03 AM

A unique style, creativity,and talent. Keep stackin' em!!!

Lookin good bruddah
U da man

:)

T

Congrats cy, a sale to shag?! WOW!! Lucy is looking super cool.

T

Awesome stuff, as always. Especially diggin' Cannibal's Cauldron. Look forward to seeing all in person at Oasis.

C
cy posted on Sun, Jun 15, 2014 3:59 PM

Cool t shirt to be sure H10. Willy and amate I appreciate the support from two great carvers, and Big T it was fun to get a reaction from a painter that I admire so much. (What artist has more of a positive following in the tiki world than Shag?) I will see you soon at TO TA. I am almost done with Lucy 2.

Some black highlights to portions and I be finished.

I hope to finish this bass wood piece by next week end.

Whilst browsing the lighting section at our local everything store I spied this bucket of hot coals looking thing. I thought it would make a great base for "Cannibal's Cauldron" so bought one and started experimenting. Here's what I came up with.

After some fine tuning I will add paint, black for the base and cauldron, grey stain for most with some turquoise highlights here and there.

Wow...really like what you are doing, that black piece turned out great!!!

Those coals are over the top!
How can your stuff keep getting better ?

C
cy posted on Sun, Jun 29, 2014 3:54 PM

Thanks Vampiressa, hope more carvers jumped in with their two cents worth. Will whenever I quit improving I will stop and move to something else that I can get better at. I completed "Cannibal's Cauldron." First I stained grey.

Next I dowelled, glued, and clamped everything together and added ebony stain and turquoise highlights.

I added amber colored string lights to the bottom but they don't look as good as the clear. I will try some turquoise just to see what happens.

Also did some last minute details to the newly name-changed "Nina"

I want to bring as much new stuff to the local Tiki Kon event here next month as I can, so dusted off five year old "Milt" to accompany me.

[ Edited by: cy 2014-06-29 16:00 ]

[ Edited by: cy 2014-06-29 20:17 ]

P

wow.... that 2nd to last one is superb....

I didn't think I liked cannibal-themed carves, and then I saw the cauldron and that idea went right out the window. It's all beautiful work.

you have such a cool unique touch to your work

A
amate posted on Wed, Jul 2, 2014 6:25 AM

absolutely love what you're doing with the colors!!!!

Hey cy,
look what i found in the Dictionary!

creative:
  Use Creative in a sentence
cre·a·tive
[kree-ey-tiv] Show IPA
adjective
having the quality or power of creating.
resulting from originality of thought, expression, etc.; imaginative: creative writing.
originative; productive (usually followed by of ).
Facetious. using or creating exaggerated or skewed data, information, etc.: creative bookkeeping.

5.look at cy`s work - u rock!

C
cy posted on Sun, Jul 6, 2014 4:44 PM

Thankee kindlee Jeff, Professor I know cannibalism is not a laughing matter but I try and take the hapless victim's point of view so maybe that is what you are liking, thanks! Poobah I really appreciate that you notice uniqueness and amate I love using color and bet if the ancients had the access to it that we all do they would have used it. Simon thank you for putting in the effort to craft such a cool post, you know you are one of my faves! Tiki Kon is next week and Wendy and Dan as well as tigertail are coming to Frog Island on Wednesday so if anybody visiting wants to join us, pm me for directions.
Here is some new work for Tiki Kon.

Still carving on this one, will be done for Tiki Oasis next month.

T

Awesome work, as always. Look forward to seeing everything in person (again) at Oasis (if there's anything left after Tiki Kon)!

Beautiful and unique stuff as always Cy. The "coals" were a great ideas

When you hurry through life, you just get to the end faster.
Pirate Ship Tree House

[ Edited by: maddogmike 2014-07-11 22:56 ]

Cy
Awesome bruddah (as always)!

Thanks for the incredible tour of your paradise in the woods, Cy. I see why you fell in love with the place. Your home is beautiful, and Frog Island is really awesome. I absolutely love that you have a real island in the woods at your home, and its actually fairly big!

And of course seeing your carvings in person is always a treat. Wendy is right; you do live in paradise!

You and your daughter were very gracious and charming hosts to your forest Shangri la. Mahalo!

C
cy posted on Fri, Aug 1, 2014 10:18 AM

Thanks Ano, will be seeing you in a few weeks, along with H10 and MDM? It was our pleasure tigertail, your painting was very cool in person! My daughter's wedding is here tomorrow so not much new, but here is an update. It became clear that this one won't be done for the San Diego event, but I'm chipping away at it.

I am going to paint the background orange and leave the high spots clear.

No name picked out yet, but it is a short evolutionary tale.

I want it to read as you walk around it, rather than stacking like I usually do.

I reworked an older carving "Pele Lani" The top portion of her head is hollowed out and will install a red volcanic light next week. Hope to see a lot of TCers at Oasis!

Gota luv a Frog Island update
Good stuff bruddah
C u soon

P

love the pele bro...

awesome as always... 8)

C
cy posted on Sun, Aug 24, 2014 3:52 PM

Although I did not make my money back at Oasis, I did better than last year and will do it again next. Thanks to Suze, Brett, and Jason Lee and Michelle for your support!

I received some great gifts from fellow tiki peeps including frog matches from Hang10, a ceramic necklace from Tiki Ano, a handicapped turtle from Jason from Smokin' Tikis, (the poor little devil only swims in circles) and a special thanks to Buzzy for the cool necklaces. I wear tikis given to me by Crazy Al and Aloha Station around my neck whenever I work for the Karvin' Karma and now I can add these to the mix.

Got started on this 7 foot piece of noble last week. Not the best for carving but it was available.

It has some big ass beetles living in it, anyone had experience getting rid of em?

Another chunk of noble roughed out.

Can't you let the monster beatles stay? I always say live and let live. (Unless I'm hungry. Or they are in my way. Or I just want to kill something :lol: )

I train mine to do stunts.
Then they pass the hat & collect $.

C
cy posted on Mon, Aug 25, 2014 8:42 AM

OK, OK, they can stay. Geez.

Interesting carves, as usual. I like the work in progress with the NW Coast
Totem style figure on top. Even thought you could have made more money at your
booth....at least you attracted some nice visitors :)

Good times at Oasis

C
cy posted on Mon, Sep 1, 2014 3:32 PM

Always good hearing from you Conga and happy to see you back carving tiki. I did not try to make the top piece so totem looking but that is how it turned out. I snapped a center line on it, made a few marks for eyes and mouth and just started taking out wood. Once I stood it up and looked it was obvious it looked American Indian or Alaskan but that happens when I go in with no plan. Thanks for the Oasis pics Jon, and for enabling me with the noon time libations of beautiful tasting rum with a shot of Fire Ball. Here is an update.

I think it is the eyes and mouth that make it look totem.

The bottom spear fisherman will be holding a cluster of lit floats in his left hand from Tikiskip.

Almost done carving this heavy piece of cedar.

Still a long way to go as I plan on inlaying a bunch of glass pieces.

This is noble from my neighbor.

[ Edited by: cy 2014-09-01 21:03 ]

WC

Carving without a plan.
Tom & I discuss that often.
We have opposing views.

P

awesome... love it...

I love it when a plan comes together - that is, when there is a plan. Some day I plan on having a plan. Till then, my plan is to wing it!

C
cy posted on Tue, Sep 2, 2014 12:02 PM

Yeah, I knew which one of you was the planner and which one was the "just see what comes out" guy. I think most of us carve for our own amusement so whatever method works is best.

Busy man you are

Out tiki hunting with a good luck CY shirt on

Checking in to enjoy some great art. So sorry that we didn't go to Oasis and hang out with you. Wendy

S

It was good to see you at Oasis, Cy.I really like the totem-ish face on the big TiKi. Your work always gets me thinking about attempting a "stacked" style TiKi...one of these days I'll give it a try.Great stuff!

C
cy posted on Sat, Sep 20, 2014 9:56 AM

Hang10 I hope that t shirt is lucky and helps you find a holy grail of some sort. Missed you also at Oasis Wendy, hope you decide to make the journey next year. Skoo stacking em' helps to tell a story and I think adds some interest. Not a lot going on as I mend from hernia surgery this week (wonder how that happened) but did manage a few things.

Here is a sketch (Hey it's stacked!) that will go onto this piece of African mahogany.

Also purchased a piece of poplar (on right) and something called jelutong on left. It is a bit like bass wood.

Two sketches for the poplar plank.

One started.

This is noble. He will be holding a skull on a stick. Very scary.

Except for paint and lighting "Totem" is done.

You are on fire.
Funny, your stacking them &
I'm spreading them out.
You'll see them soon.

Hernia
Time for some smaller carvings
Hope u r healing well

Like the new stuff

Jon

T

I have had two hernia surgeries one in the middle and one left side, middle was
the one that hurt most.
Don't laugh as that really hurts when you do.
Get well soon.
Got some lights for you, need to send photos and sizes.

T

Hope you can rest up and recover easily!

The latest pieces are fantastic. noble looks fantastic, can't wait to see your progress on the plank. As always, love your original designs & execution... :)

Just sent the fish float lights your way.
Can't wait to see when you are done.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 1214 replies