Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Carvings from Frog Island Tikis

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 1,214 replies

P

minwax espresso brother....

I call it "instant coco joe"... lol...

Super-cy
Kickin ars at frog island
Keep it up brother

Jon

Makemake is looking very original as usual Cy, any progress?

C
cy posted on Sun, Jul 7, 2013 3:24 PM

Thanks brothers of the tiki carving tapa cloth. I have been working hard to bring some new wood next weekend for Tiki-Kon here in Portland but I will have to settle for "works in progress" instead. This four foot piece of cedar has gotten most of my attention.

This is "Margie," a related piece of cedar that is also insect ridden on the inside. I worked about 15 minutes hollowing out the head and chain sawing a few details before giving up as being too far gone. After looking at it for a few weeks I decided it might be worth going back in.

This is how these two pieces are related and how they grew together.

I will try to complete these two for Tiki Oasis.

A customer/ landscaper pal of mine can actually grow some kind of palm here in Oregon. He gave me this one after it sat in a bit too much water. I have no idea what it is but it has a wooly mammoth sort of skin that I will certainly incorporate into the design.

This chunk of driftwood has been in my barn since I moved here in the mid 90's. I am imagining a mask of some sort.

[ Edited by: cy 2013-07-07 19:00 ]

WC

I wonder if those 2 logs would miss each other.
Kinda makes you feel bad to separate them.
That fish is the bomb.

great stuff as always Cy, can't weight to see what you do with the 'woolly' palm...

Four more days. See you soon, Wendy

A
amate posted on Mon, Jul 8, 2013 5:57 PM

They just seem to keep getting better, and better...and better...

Love that fish Cy, looks like he has a Mohawk and attitude to spare.

C
cy posted on Mon, Jul 8, 2013 7:45 PM

Will, you hit the nail on the head, I actually feel bad about separating these two unfortunate siblings but we all must eventually fly the coop and adjust. Thanks Atomic, I'm happy to see you back and carving cool stuff again. I have been putting things together for the Tiki Kon event Wendy, just a few more details to complete. The best of compliments amate, I always think my best one will be my next. MadDog my first and obvious choice would have been a shark, but decided to try and make one bad-assed fourspot butterfly fish instead.

CY- looking good brother

Jon

C
cy posted on Sun, Jul 28, 2013 2:32 PM

Always appreciate the kind thoughts H10. The last two weekends were spent a sellin' as I attended Tiki Kon in Vancouver USA, just across the I5 bridge from me and then the local Gresham Artwalk which is not tiki but still a hoot.
Tiki Kon is the first event I have done indoors but having electricity was cool. I did very well and enjoyed meeting smooth tiki artists Bosco and Big Toe.

I did better than expected at the Gresham, Oregon event last week and hed fun with the mixed crowd.

I took some casualties at the Gresham event when I clipped "Lucy" with my umbrella while setting up. She will begin life as a new piece soon.

I completed "Margie" to travel with me to Tiki Oasis next month.

Also will complete Makemake before the road trip to San Diego.

I will add green highlights here and there to compliment Tiki Skips float and be done.

[ Edited by: cy 2013-07-28 14:49 ]

P

dude, you have given me a great idea with those tiki-skip lights...

bummer about Lucy... looks like you had some time into her... :(

very cool stuff as always Cy... and as always, WAY outside the box.

like, nowhere NEAR the box... lol...

Cy,
You must be doing something illegal or immoral.
You're having too much fun.

CY-berdyne terminator
U da man
Eerrrr uhhhhh machine

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2013-07-29 23:04 ]

Great stuff Cy! Sorry to hear about Lucy... can't you just glue her back together? I really like the MakeMake one.

And Hang10... too funny! I guess he is the Tikinator. :wink:

C
cy posted on Tue, Jul 30, 2013 10:37 AM

Thanks Jeff, when I did the Tiki Kon event and was supplied with electricity I realized how many carvings I had that are lit up and ran out of plugs on my power strip. So many people commented on the lights that I would recommend you try some and see what happens. Will, nothing immoral going on and one of my bad habits is legal in Washington state so that is close enough for me. I do have fun carving like most of us do. Nice production value Jon, how do you find that stuff? Jesse, Lucy shattered in many pieces, some small and I did not think I could glue and dowel it back together and still have it strong enough to sell in good conscience. I am going to cut her at the waist and have her popping out the top of another piece. Maybe it will turn out better?

Lots of cool stuff Cy, love the Makemake. Looking forward to seeing you at OASIS!!!

Hey Cy Makemake looks great!
As do the others!
Have a great summer.

¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸TIKISKIP "Go to the light"¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸

Lights for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

C
cy posted on Sun, Aug 11, 2013 3:56 PM

Thanks MadDog for always weighing in with positive comments and will be seeing you shortly for the Oasis event. Gracias TS, I am enjoying my summer to it's maximum potential. Makemake is donedone (almostalmost.)

I thought that just a plain green light bulb in the top section would be fine but it looked too plain. When I brought it to Tiki Kon as an unfinished project I noticed how many people looked inside the top and decided that this portion needed to be better finished. A distress call to TikiSkip for another green float was answered and I should have it in time for Tiki Oasis.

I used my wife's kiln to make a glass eye for the fish.

Me and my van will be loaded on Tuesday and will be heading out Wednesday for San Diego. My goal is to visit a pal of mine in Huntington Beach area mid day on Thursday as well as Bamboo Ben's hut and then be at the Bali Hai for the Creepxotica show at 9.

CY kickin ars as always...

Jon

Ps-
C u soon brother

Fantastic artistry!

T

Cy Makemake looks even better with paint and stain.
Here is some good news I hope.

"Scheduled Delivery Day:
August 12, 2013
USPS Tracking / Delivery Confirmation™"

Let me know.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''**'''
MADE YOU LOOK! TIKISKIP LIGHTS

Lights for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

Pack it up Cy, it's time to hit the road!

A
amate posted on Mon, Aug 12, 2013 2:52 AM

On 2013-08-11 15:56, cy wrote:

Another beauty!

T

Glad to hear it Cy!
Looks great!
Have a good time.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2013-08-13 08:04 ]

C
cy posted on Mon, Aug 12, 2013 6:59 PM

Thanks H10 and FTLOT I see you are from SD-Please stop by and say hi at Tiki Oasis. MadDog "Yeah Buddy!' Amate you know I like green and TikiSkip LET THERE BE LIGHT! You went beyond the call of duty and completed Makemake!

wow cy..that is an impressive collection you have there. I really like the green too. The grain is also nice. I love to see the grain in the wood.

P

awesome..

Wow,
You really rubbed some rich into that.
It looks like furniture.

C
cy posted on Tue, Aug 20, 2013 8:38 PM

Thanks Poobah, I use a wood tint in a clear varnish that really highlights the beautiful cedar grain. Glad you like pjc, I think it's my best. Will, you are too sharp. I Pledged the piss out of it before my trip to San Diego. Here are a few shots from the event, which was so overwhelming in it's magnitude that I'm still trying to process it all. Thanks so much to Hang10 for "highdrating" me with his flavorful rum concoctions and add Chris as the both of these guys helped me load my stuff back to the van.
Don't my tikis make these women look sexy? A clothing company asked permission to shoot some publicity pics.

The space they gave me could not have been cooler.

After 5 PM they converted Frog Island Tikis to a bar which I felt obligated to visit frequently.

[ Edited by: cy 2013-08-20 21:05 ]

P

I would concur with that statement, and I like all your stuff...

that fish on it, as well as that jade color of green you achieved there, are both SPECTACULAR...

kudos brother. your thread never disappoints...

A
amate posted on Wed, Aug 21, 2013 5:25 PM

So, did they let you take those ladies back home with you? :wink:

C
cy posted on Thu, Aug 22, 2013 8:07 AM

Thanks brother Jeff, your comments help me keep motivated. No amate, only for the evening. I should mention that I had the pleasure of meeting Marcus Thorn / Tiki Beat at Oasis and he's a great dude. Helpful with tips and positive vibes.

Aloha CY-Borg
Love da shirt

Jon

My gosh Cy, that first pic in your latest post just shows off so much beauty! (and the tiki's ain't bad, either!) :wink:

Seriously though... your work just sparkles, I really love how the fish one with the green lamps inside turned out. :)

C
cy posted on Mon, Sep 2, 2013 2:54 PM

Hang10 that's a fine lookin' shirt you have there. "Sparkles" is a great word and compliment TT. My new carving year starts now, after the last vending event of '13. Here is the start of the next season, destination Caliente.
My son bought a trick pair of composite oars for his drift boat and gave me his old wooden ones. "Orville" is the work in progress.

It's 8 and a half feet tall so I may take the middle section out. I bought a concrete Moai from Big Ed at Tiki Oasis that is also pictured. I will add a figure on the handle with a big top knot.

This is a piece of drift wood that has been in my barn since 1995.

Too bad the ocean doesn't wash this flotsam or jetsam up on my shores.

Also started this chip of eucalyptus from MadDog Mike for a carving for my son Neil. When complete it will feature a big turkey feather head dress and a hanging turkey beard. He is a big time hunter.
I have never used a stranger wood than this eucalyptus and ended up splitting a log and carving from the inside out. It pleasured me to think outside my own rather large box, hope Neil likes it.

[ Edited by: cy 2013-09-05 08:09 ]

Dude u r on fire
Orville rocks

C
cy posted on Sun, Sep 15, 2013 3:37 PM

Always appreciate the posi-comments H10. I introduced myself to Bay Park Buzzy at Tiki Oasis and he said something like "You're the guy that stacks stuff" and I never thought of that but you know what - he's right. Here is "Orville", another stacked piece.

Thanks to MadDog for this eucalyptus. Hard like walnut but a beautiful red color and the grain is gorgeous.

Also started a couple of cedar chunks.

[ Edited by: cy 2013-09-15 19:22 ]

Lookin good stacker-cy

A
amate posted on Sun, Sep 15, 2013 5:02 PM

Missed a post. Love Orville!
First rate art so by all means keep stackin' em !!!

P

I dig the oar..

and yeah, that euc looks real nice. :)

I missed some stuff Cy!

Love that oar, very cool. Glad you were able to use that eucalyptus. It has a beautiful color but seems like it would be a pain to carve - it's like a rock! Plenty more where that came from :lol:

S

Love "Orville" great idea + fantastic carving skills = WOW!

As I row thru your post I'm seeing fields of Bamboo.
You got that stuff up there? Oh yes, I see it's in a pot. I guess you take it in all winter.
BTW "Orville" the bomb.

CY I love every piece on this whole page. Very tiki, very special, very you! Wendy

C
cy posted on Fri, Sep 20, 2013 4:38 PM

Thanks amigos, the wood of the oar was fantastic (I think it's fir) and it kept making me spend more and more time on the detail. I'm glad I have another one. Will, bamboo grows really well here, my neighbor has some thats about 30' tall and an inch thick. Thanks Wendy, with all the work you guys do I don;t know how you have time to check in.

30' tall Boo field
Get that chainsaw out n get yoself sum stock to build a CY-HUT

:)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 1214 replies