Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Carvings from Frog Island Tikis

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 1,214 replies

That's a long hall for you.
Your stuff sure made Miss Tiki Oasis
look good.

C
cy posted on Sat, Sep 14, 2019 7:48 AM

Will that's what I told her but she didn't think it was too funny. A lot going on, but I have managed to swing a mallet on a few.
The paddles go quickly, this one sold at the local Art in the Pearl a few weeks ago.

A 42 inch tall piece of cedar.

Getting closer.

Double sided. I'm calling this one "Powder" because that is what it is like to carve in sections. Today I'm heading to the new Munktiki Gallery in Astoria to bring them some completed carvings, looking forward to seeing their new digs. It's part of the Second Saturday Artwalk.

[ Edited by: cy 2019-09-14 08:03 ]

Looks awesome Cy!

H

Looks great.

Dude man from the frog place:

That last page was epic
Hats off to ya sir

T

So much killer work going on!

Dude, you on vacation
or to busy drinking rum to post pictures
of your carvings ???

I know you’ve made it at least
13 pieces since your last post

C
cy posted on Sun, Sep 29, 2019 3:57 PM

Thanks for the interaction MDM, hil, BT, I'm pleased that there are still die hards that visit this site which really got me into tiki culture. Hang 10 I was on vacation and have been imbibing but still have managed a bit of carving.
A small piece of driftwood from the Oregon coast fashioned into a necklace.

And more work on this pecker of a cedar log.

My man
Love Oregon coast drift wood
I have a piece calling my name
Like that big dude
LotSo detail

Cheers Bruddah

LOVING that cedar log! That's got to smell great while you're slowly freeing the tiki gods from their wooden prison.

I think that's your first pendant.
Firsts don't happen that often,
any more.
Nice.

C
cy posted on Mon, Sep 30, 2019 8:46 AM

Thanks Sandbartender, I love the smell of cedar in the morning. Hang 10 and Will, this was my first pendant and am happy I picked up more small pieces as it was fun and I could do it in one sitting rather than taking a month like most of the bigger ones take.

C
cy posted on Sun, Oct 13, 2019 3:23 PM

I may be obsessed with tiki but it is for the benefit of the tribe.
One more coat of varnish on "Powder" and he is done.

The design started from this large crack that I wanted to avoid yet utilize.

A friend saved this beautiful old growth tight grain fir for me from the wood stove.

I drilled him through the middle so I can add a shade and make him a lamp.
He will have a cute rear end, which is a prerequisite.

More Oregon driftwood, necklace sized carvings.

And a milled piece of cedar that I will work out as I progress.

[ Edited by: cy 2019-10-13 15:26 ]

Dude u on fire
Awesome

Look who discovered pendance's.
Ya, they do go quicker.
What do you carve them with?

H

Nice page full of great carvings.

C
cy posted on Mon, Oct 14, 2019 8:36 AM

Thanks guys, Will I used an xacto blade on the first two, and a Dremel first, then a hook knife for the rest. They are tough on my arthritic hands to hold and carve but I am having fun with them. My dream would be to attend one of your Hukilau classes, maybe some day!

Maybe we can pitch the idea of a celebrity guest carver at Hukilau??

C
cy posted on Wed, Oct 16, 2019 12:56 PM

I love that idea Aloha, make sure they include two first class airline tickets, one for me and one for my chainsaw.

T

Hey Chris, the crack you worked around in your Powder tiki brought up a question I've always wondered about. If you made a cut into a log, essentially creating a crack, wouldn't take the stress off a drying log reducing splits through the carved areas?

C
cy posted on Thu, Oct 17, 2019 10:41 AM

Hey tikicoma nice to see you are still browsing TC. Many years ago I tried that on a cedar log, but found that it did not help as it continued to crack in the same spot only deeper. I then figured I could put a v shaped wedge into the now very large split, but the wedge split also. I cut the wedge out, making an even larger gap and installed a nice walnut, harder wedge figuring that would do it, but it ended up splitting apart again in an unnatural area outside the wedge which looked terrible. I then doused the tiki with lighter fluid and roasted smores over the fire. As time has gone on I have learned to embrace the cracks as "character" and "patina" and let them go as they will. I have never had a cedar log split in half even after 20 years unpainted in my yard. Crazy Al once told me that cracking is the wood releasing evil spirits.

T

Thanks Chris... I've always wondered. I still check out TC at least once a day I just don't post much.. especially since my laptop died half a year ago, have a new one now but I still haven't gotten to transfer my old files to my new one. Oh! And that Powder tiki is awesome!

[ Edited by: tikicoma 2019-10-18 21:41 ]

C
cy posted on Wed, Oct 23, 2019 7:19 AM

Thanks tikicoma, a bit of progress on this cedar slab, I think I will add a clock to the sun portion.

Real cool.
Looks chippy.
I like the clock idea.
Not many useful Tikis
out there.

C
cy posted on Wed, Oct 23, 2019 8:55 PM

Thanks Will, it has been a chippy, craggy, grainy, dry old piece of cedar but it has been great to carve. I'm happy a have quite a few left, here is what it looks like on the back.

C
cy posted on Sun, Nov 10, 2019 4:28 PM

Here comes a progress report.
My friend and TC compadre Tikiskip made this shade a couple of years ago and I think I finally built the part that holds it up.

This one is going to be a clock.

Next is to add the parts that tick.

A coat of paint on this cedar log followed by another carving and sanding to smooth out the imperfections.

Autumn colors.

Glass inlays made in my wife's kiln because she never uses it.

[ Edited by: cy 2019-11-10 16:35 ]

Dang
Lots o sweetness over at Frog island

Nice work CYborg

You're gonna make Skiper proud.
So much functional Tiki.
Very impressive.

H

Love the lamp and everything else, so much detail, great work.

Ha! looks great Cy!!

Glad you got it into the right tiki.
Got a half done light have been meaning to send you for years and just never have.

C
cy posted on Wed, Nov 13, 2019 8:15 AM

Thanks Jon, Will and hil, Skip you best get back to finishing that light, cy can't see in the dark!

T

No, No, I was going to send it to you to finish with your carvings.
The light is for you not me.

C
cy posted on Fri, Nov 29, 2019 2:30 PM

I love multiple days off as I can work on tiki instead of actually having to make a living.
I was able to put a coat of paint on this one before it started to get too cold here in the Pacific NW.

I had a leftover piece of mahogany from another project that I wanted to use so I enlarged a quick sketch and started carving.

This 42 inch tall log has quite a few soft and unusable sections which adds up to personality.

My small carving chainsaw is finally working again which enables me to undercut the chin section.

This side was harder and less flakey so gets a bit more detail.

I started on the base, otherwise I get burned out on the rest and neglect it.

[ Edited by: cy 2019-11-29 14:37 ]

Agreed,
More carve time & less work time.

T

Luvin' the lamp!!

That lamp is unreal, i love the square style.

C
cy posted on Fri, Dec 27, 2019 3:57 PM

Thanks BT, will, and cutcarefully, that beautiful piece of tight grained fir was originally split for the fireplace but was saved by a hero/friend that knew it was too precious to burn. I have been enjoying carving this cedar log lately.

Lots of holes carved into this one, I started on the hollowing out the back.

I'm adding a backlit background to this mahogany carving.

[ Edited by: cy 2019-12-27 15:59 ]

Wow
Those look great sir

C
cy posted on Sun, Jan 5, 2020 3:12 PM

Thanks Jon! For the first time in the last 40 years I have had two full weeks off and rather than do things that needed to be done I naturally shirked my duties and played with wood.
This is a scrap of basswood. I added a base, marked it up with red and black sharpies, and got to carving.

A 15 minute doodling turned into 16 hours of carving.

Also got a milled slab of cedar under way. I am going to burn it with a torch to exaggerate the grain.

[ Edited by: cy 2020-01-05 15:13 ]

WC

Time well spent.

Time is on your side

C
cy posted on Sun, Jan 19, 2020 2:02 PM

Time for a report on progress.
Finished the carving on this simple piece and added some blue marbles for eyes. I am going to add some aged rope somewhere but I haven't figured that out yet so I'll get back to you.

Almost done with this cedar clock.

A stringer of floats for my daughter's 41st birthday.

[ Edited by: cy 2020-01-19 14:05 ]

S

More great, unique work cy. The floats are great but i really love that clock, especially the numbers.

Your view must be further
from your higher level of carving.
That guy in the box has a lot going on.
For a guy in a box.

T

The back lit tiki are so cool.

People who buy those get a twofer a light and a tiki.
Great way to highlight a tiki in your tiki room.

C
cy posted on Sun, Jan 26, 2020 5:21 PM

Thanks swizzle but take precautions, unique does not equal sales. A great observation Will that has me pondering, and skip I learned from you the importance of light to add texture and mood. I got a few almost completed.
A mahogany stain, dark walnut, orange, and olive green acrylic.
Top figure is owl mixed with Marquesan.

I burned this one and glued rope to top and bottom sections.

I work on a lot of pieces all at once, but seldom finish them at the same time.

H

Love the mustard color guy, also the scenery behind these carvings is so beautiful.

Stellar line up Bruddah

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 1214 replies