Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Carvings from Frog Island Tikis

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 1,214 replies

B

GREAT Works Cy, Love the frog sitting on the tiki's head, COOL!

Lovin the "No wake" piece!

How did Tiki Kon go?

T

cy just ducked in to take a looksie- awesome stuff. Hope Tiki Kon went great for you as well- look forward to seeing you at Oasis next month!

C
cy posted on Tue, Jul 14, 2015 6:20 PM

Thanks amate, like you I enjoy adding different textures to make things more interesting. Benzart and ATTC I really like that one also and will finish after Oasis, as I have a September delivery deadline. Tiki Kon went great, sold two big boy$ and traded a smaller piece for cash and a very cool Bosko. TA only a month to go!
Here is the Bosko and a Home Depot Tiki Diablo that I bought on the way home.

The only event I do that is indoors, but this is Portland where rain falls in any and every month.

Marina can make anyone's work look very good.

I started a new one, this a piece of six foot cedar.

He WILL be done by Oasis.

Great pics from the Kon event. Who did you trade the for the Bosko? Great to hear that you'll be at Oasis. We'll have to meet up and hang! Where's your booth? Hopefully next to mine out at the car show??

C
cy posted on Wed, Jul 15, 2015 8:16 AM

The Bosko came from a guy that was downsizing and selling off some of his collection, I did not ask why he wanted to buy my similar sized one. I am outdoors, inside the pool area rather than the car show area, but I will certainly come visit you!

Great pics CY
See u soon...

Stay thirsty my friend

Really love the new piece Cy. Always great pics too.

H

I really like your latest piece also, very nice.

C
cy posted on Sun, Jul 26, 2015 3:22 PM

Thank you my TC pals, another two coats of clear and the newest will be complete. "Bardoon" is mostly African influence with some tarot, voodoo, chess piece, Kilroy, and Crusader Rabbit thrown in for good measure.

T

Killer, Cy, killer. Safe drive down south to SD. Look forward to seeing you- and all that cool stuff you'll bring with you.

Sweet.......

C
cy posted on Sun, Aug 2, 2015 3:36 PM

You got it Ano, will be seeing you and Jonny soon. Some progress pics.
Unknown piece of something from my barn that the previous owner of my home left way back in '95.

I chose to make the corners the front and back rather than the sides as it makes you think in a different vein.

Originally made as a wall hanging, the lack of attention the last three events has forced me to make "Restless Natives" free standing.

After a good steel woolin' to make it smooth to the touch "Bardoon" is ready for the journey to Oasis.

[ Edited by: cy 2015-08-02 15:49 ]

T

On 2015-08-02 15:36, cy wrote:
Unknown piece of something from my barn that the previous owner of my home left way back in '95.

I chose to make the corners the front and back rather than the sides as it makes you think in a different vein.

This guy should be called Little Jack corner.

Great work Cy!

WC

Good stuff.
Jacky corner is a classic.
Working into the corner changes every thing.
On Moais it really makes the nose pop.

C
cy posted on Mon, Aug 3, 2015 8:29 AM

Jack is hilarious, skip, you just named him for me, thanks. Will you taught me that trick, it's the second one I have done in this way.

A
amate posted on Tue, Aug 4, 2015 4:58 AM

On 2015-08-02 15:36, cy wrote:
After a good steel woolin'

Sheesh! you guys are killin' me... :)

[ Edited by: amate 2015-08-04 04:58 ]

C
cy posted on Sun, Aug 9, 2015 4:19 PM

amate you are full of baloney, I can tell you realize the importance of finishing strong. I got some work done since my last post.
Mostly on "No Wake"

Also on "Jack"

Awesome

You are so creative. I can always recognize your terrific work. See you soon. Wendy

T

So. Freaking. Cool.

C
cy posted on Sun, Aug 23, 2015 2:37 PM

Thanks friends, I did not make my money back at Oasis (which is always my goal) but it is the most intense four days that you can experience, something going on all the time, and I had a ball. Great music and people made it my favorite tiki event that I have attended and will be back next year to kick some ass. Here is some progress on "Jack"

![](https://tikicentral.com/uploads/54811/55da3bb7.jpg[/img
[img]https://tikicentral.com/uploads/54811/55da3c13.jpg)

This is the Tiki Central art swap moment with my good pal MadDogMike on the left, cy on the right.

[ Edited by: cy 2015-08-23 14:45 ]

[ Edited by: cy 2015-08-23 14:46 ]

C
cy posted on Mon, Sep 7, 2015 2:46 PM

Another coat of clear will see "No Wake" finished. I also built a tiki light base looking thing for "Jack."

The grain is beauty, a long way to go on this one.

H

I like it already as it is.

WC

That grain is wild & the box is cool.
I like that guy.

T

awesome light box cy. good to see things are busy in here! :)

Sweetness

C
cy posted on Sun, Sep 13, 2015 4:14 PM

Thanks hil, I always have a tough time knowing when to move on, but it always hits me when I am sick and tired of it and ready to stop. I blame will carve for putting in the extra time needed. BT it was great to have Texas represented at Oasis with Aloha Texas, hope you can make it next year. Hang 10 I reckon it will be May before we hook up again.
A quick sketch while driving home from Tiki Oasis...

...led to the start of "Joaquin", a piece of red oak that is the hardest frickin' wood I have ever encountered.

Jack has progressed.

Fianal coat on "No Wake"

The fear of rejection has never kept me from posting. This is the start of a 5 foot, commissioned piece of cedar for a Oregon State University fan.

[ Edited by: cy 2015-09-14 08:19 ]

Love your work!

C
cy posted on Mon, Sep 28, 2015 5:41 PM

Thanks Tuga, same to ya! A quick update.
Finally finished these two.

Joaquin should be done this weekend, and is chock full of bad personality.

Crazy and creative Tiki designs.

C
cy posted on Sun, Oct 11, 2015 4:08 PM

Thanks FTLOT, your motivation is appreciated! Got "Bennie", the commissioned Oregon State Beaver mascot in a first coat of paint, and also the red oak "Joaquin" with a clear coat this weekend.

Also roughed out my next four projects. The two on the left are jelutong, then purple heart and red oak.

H

Looking forward to your new carvings, lots of good stuff her.

Nice update Cy, love the Beaver! I love looking at all of the poly-inspired stuff that people do, but good to see quality carvings of any style. Keep up the good work. Now go carve some tikis!

OMG
Golly Wally that's the Beaver

Outstanding CY

C
cy posted on Sun, Oct 18, 2015 5:42 PM

Thanks hil, I too am looking forward to the new stuff. Conga the beav is one of the last commissioned carves I am going to do as I like working my own ideas rather than someone else's. More tiki-type work on the way. Gee Jonny, that's swell. I tried to complete this smaller plank of red oak in a week, but that was just silly thinking, hope to have it ready for paint next weekend.

I will add backlighting and some kind of fabric background.

I've been using more fabric & string & stuff too.
I think it adds more dimension.
Looks good.

C
cy posted on Sun, Oct 25, 2015 2:44 PM

Agreed Will, I like the way the primitive carvings look with the added accessories that they had available at the time. A little progress to keep this thread unwinding.
Jelutong is such a bitchin' wood...lightweight, yellow and aromatic, it is my favorite.

"Joaquin" had his final coat of clear applied and I added sand to the base.

[ Edited by: cy 2015-10-25 14:48 ]

Hi CY, I'm just checking in to see all your cool ultra modern designs. You do quality work with interesting woods.
Dan and I plan to come back to see you at Tiki Kon this summer. Many hugs until then, Wendy

Exceptionally cool designs. Always a pleasure to check in and see the latest in what you've been creating.

C
cy posted on Fri, Nov 6, 2015 8:23 AM

Thanks for checking in danlovestikis and FTLOT! I think you will like the new venue at next years Tiki Kon Wendy, and look forward to seeing you then. A bit of progress on "Mr. Devlin's Luau".

T

Holy moly, cy! I admit to being a stranger to TC for a while now, but great to get caught up on your new creations. Mr. Devlin's Luau is outstanding, love the use of positive and negative space on Joaquin.

Stop blowing my mind up please!

Wishing you the best! Trying to come by more. I've been out of the loop these days with work and fam stuff. Thanks for continuing to inspire us all.

C
cy posted on Sun, Nov 22, 2015 4:36 PM

Thanks for the words of encouragement Ano, they make it worth while to carry on carving! I painted "Lily" with red and deep walnut dyes mixed with marine varnish, and also made some progress on "Mr. Devlin's Luau."

[ Edited by: cy 2015-11-22 16:38 ]

H

I really like what you did with Lily. looks MCM and tiki at the same time very nice.

Lilly's got good colors
Luau is outstanding

:)

C
cy posted on Sun, Nov 29, 2015 3:43 PM

Thanks hil and H10, I debated about the colors and the walnut dye was darker than expected, so took it down a notch with some steel wool and also added a glass inlay. Also started a 7 footer, a log of birch from a friend. Heavy and pulpy it will not be my favorite but I love the bark so will leave sections to the finished piece.

Thanks so much to my pal Will carve for the casting/lamp. I have not had a chance to look for the right shade, but decided to use one I had laying around. I decorated it with favorite images from The Book of Tiki using markers. The square shape is not right and I will look for an oval shape, but at least I can now use it.

[ Edited by: cy 2015-11-29 16:00 ]

Cy,
That shade's the bomb.
I like the coco nut monkey too.

Over the Thanksgiving weekend I headed north to the winter wonderland of Orlando - it got down to the 60s! So I broke out the one of very few long-sleeved shirts and was representing Frog island Tikis the entire day at Disney.

[ Edited by: AlohaStation 2015-11-30 07:26 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 1214 replies