Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Carvings from Frog Island Tikis

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 1,214 replies

C
cy posted on Tue, Sep 30, 2014 6:02 PM

Thanks for the well wishes mates, I'm doing fine and even got some carving in this past weekend. Can't wait for the arrival of your floats Skip, they will really set "Totem" off.
There was too much dead space down at the bottom so I added a gecko.

Here's a scarfie.

Cy the gecko looks good but the incision looks like it's pulling apart, maybe SOMEBODY was doing a little too much? Jon, can I get an official ruling here? :wink:

PS - thanks for keeping your pants on for that selfie :lol:

When you hurry through life, you just get to the end faster.
Pirate Ship Tree House

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2014-10-01 00:00 ]

T

It looks ok, I lost a bellybutton when they did mine you don't want to see that.
BUT don't they shave that before surgery?

Did you get this done in Mexico? :)

C
cy posted on Wed, Oct 1, 2014 12:11 PM

Well, now that you mention it that does look a little suspect. The "dr." said he specializes in abortions and that hernia surgery would be "no problemo"

T

PS - thanks for keeping your pants on for that selfie :lol:
[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2014-10-01 00:00 ]

LOL, yes, thanks! 2nd the motion..

So, the gecko is really cool! Nice addition.

C
cy posted on Sun, Oct 5, 2014 3:05 PM

MDM and Big T I was going to include a joke about a wide angle lens but I'm much to mature for that. Thanks to TikiSkip for the cluster of floats, they need some tweaking but here is the progress.
First I used a natural stain then added a honey stain over that.

Also worked this poplar plank.

I will add a pool cue through the middle, add a few billiard extras and call him "Brunswick."

WC

That color makes that guy pop.
Nice job.

T

A pool cue?! Friggin awesome!

T

repost

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2014-10-15 12:50 ]

Mike- the hernia scar looks fine
He is a CYborg after all :)

New stuff looks good sir

Jon

Cy thank you for including Tikiskip lights in your art.
I love the two tone job you did on "Totem" (HA! where did you get that name?)
They had tiki in the Kahiki in Columbus Ohio kinda like this Cy.
These tiki were not Oceanic Arts or Witco but from another place I think.

Got a new idea for you but am having a hard time starting it as am not
feeling very tiki at this time.

Cy is a great guy to work with and hope to help
out when I can.

C
cy posted on Sun, Oct 19, 2014 2:42 PM

Thanks Will, you are correct, the contrast in colors is a fun way to make em' pop. Big T I have been planning an 8 ball shrunken head type thing for the bottom panel so stay tuned. I appreciate the constant motivation you send my way H10! TikiSkip the last carving I added your lighting to sold in no time so I'd be a fool not including it whenever possible. Here is "Totem" all finished. I added red to pick up highlights from the float, and though I was convinced I needed a cluster of them, one looked the most balanced. Also melted some glass for the eyes.

What a great wood mahogany is. Started this 4ft. by 10in. panel yesterday.

[ Edited by: cy 2014-10-19 15:00 ]

[ Edited by: cy 2014-10-19 15:01 ]

Kickin' butt Cy...love the carving and color in the latest totem. Another
impressive and inspiring effort.

T

that totem finished out NICE, cy! Love the mahogany piece, man the design on that is outstanding.

The colors really bring that to life!!

Totem looks great master CY

C
cy posted on Sun, Nov 2, 2014 3:34 PM

Thanks for the props Conga, Big T, Aloha, and H10, it always makes it worth the effort! I did a lot on the mahogany panel "Restless Natives" in the last week or so.

Also got some work done on "Brunswick", a poplar plank.

My first attempt with polymer clay was this 8 ball shrunken head. I wanted to carve a wooden croquet ball but it was too big. My pal re-covers pool tables and gave me some scrap for the background and I jig sawed, grinded, and filed the triangle out of poplar from the same piece of wood.

8 ball
Corner pocket
Lookin good Bruddah

C
cy posted on Sun, Nov 9, 2014 6:54 PM

A bit'o progress. This is a piece of Malaysian jelutong which handles a lot like bass wood but a little harder and with a cool yellowish tint.

His name is "Ward" because he is being built to ward off evil spirits.

I added hands and spear handles to this mahogany plank and will add the carved tips next.

I like those back to back guards.
I've done that be for too.
They're cool.

CY- lookin good bruddah
You got one cool imagination
Go baby go

CY, I think you honed your skills during a past lifetime...or two. I see many cultures in your work and that proves my theory.

Miss you, Wendy

C
cy posted on Wed, Nov 12, 2014 8:00 AM

Thanks Will, they form a tight defense back to back. Always appreciate H10, and Wendy I do not remember what happened last week let alone another lifetime ago but I use every influence I can when carving.

[ Edited by: cy 2014-11-12 08:04 ]

T

Cy, looking great. Each one of your pieces demonstrates so much thoughtfulness and creativity- inspiring. I really need to come visit the wood carving section more, ha. I definitely agree with what Wendy said...

Your first attempt with clay is phenomenal, too. Enough with showing off! :wink:

Brunswick looks awesome, as does Ward. Look forward to seeing more. I promise to come back soon.

P

killer as usual...

H

Restless Natives rocks.

C
cy posted on Sun, Nov 23, 2014 3:01 PM

Thankee kindly pjc and hil I am very happy with the way Restless Natives is coming out but frustrated with the amount of time it is taking to complete. Tiki Ano the carving section is a bit dangerous so I am pleased that you are brave enough to explore the depths of the TC jungle. Hear me now and believe me later, this one is the first I have done without the use of a chain saw.

Not that I set out to accomplish that feat, it just did not come into play on this piece of mahogany. Also roughed out the spear heads with a jig saw.

Almost done with this piece of jelutong. I highly recommend this wood if you can get hold of it. Almost like bass wood but a bit harder and has a great yellow color, but sanding it has made me sneeze.

I want him to look simple and will just put a few clear coats on to finish.

Very cool Cy! Does mahogany grow on Frog Island?

You could be a mayan artist returned to make tikis. I'm sure I saw your work on a pyramid. You are unique, Wendy

C
cy posted on Mon, Nov 24, 2014 8:12 AM

Unfortunately no mahogany grows on Frog Island MadDog, I purchased it from a hardwood store in Portland along with the jelutong. I always see Mayan influences in tiki Wendy, and think that the squareness in Ward is what makes him look that way.

Good stuff Bruddah

C
cy posted on Sun, Nov 30, 2014 2:31 PM

As always, thanks for commenting Jon! I started a new walnut piece cuz I was so tired of the monotony involved in finishing a project.
Stripped and ready for the teeth of a chain saw.

I have a wild headdress designed for him, we will see if my talent matches my vision.

"Punchy's Brother", a piece of noble, "Restless Natives", mahogany, and the walnut are what I am working on.

[ Edited by: cy 2014-11-30 14:32 ]

Stud

T

cy, wow x 10.

I was proud to (finally) wear my Frog Island shirt when the weather down here finally cooled down enough. Made me want to carve some wood. Okay, maybe some clay instead?

Hope all is well. That jelutong carving is awesome!

T

Restless Natives, killer piece. I also thought of mayan influence when I saw it. Super nice work cy.

P

they kinda have a meso feel to them,..

killer as usual bro,.. 8)

C
cy posted on Sun, Dec 14, 2014 3:51 PM

Oh yeah H10, Cyvita full strength, thanks TA, glad it cooled to the low 70's, and Big T I think this is my best so far. It has a lot to do with carving such a nice wood like mahogany. Pjc and BT you are getting a bit heavy on me but my influence comes from the first jack-ass that pulled a charcoal stick from the fire and scribbled something on the cave wall so thanks for noticing! Like my favorite tiki bar I enjoy Tiki Central for it's intimacy and am happy that people are still commenting and participating!
Here is some progress on "Brunswick."

Besides a few coats of clear to bring out the beautiful wood grain "Restless Natives" is complete.

Wow
Lookin GREAT Sir CY

"Brunswick."
Rack em up, buddy.

T

Wowzers. Killer.

Re: temperature, I have to say it DID drop below 70. Nights are in the upper 50s-60s now. Brrrrrrr!

Okay, everyone stop sharpening tools and pointing them at me when I write this. :)

P

wow....

Dan got cold last night and he managed to find the Frog Island T-shirt you gave him. He said it felt so good to sleep in it, soft and warm. Thank you CY.

Excellent work as always, Wendy

C
cy posted on Sat, Jan 3, 2015 3:50 PM

Thanks H10, Will you are officially invited to my place for a game of billiards, TA I think most of us envy the mild temps that you, pjc, and Wendy and Dan enjoy! In the midst of chaos this Christmas vacation I managed to finish "Brunswick","Ward", and "Restless Natives" A 115 ft. fir that was going to fall on my work space/garage was removed along with a couple beautiful cedars has left me with more lumber than I will ever use.

Also started this bass wood piece. My plan is for him to hang from a frame.

I also removed wood from the top section of this small walnut piece.

This originally was cute in the way it grew crooked but thankfully Rich's Tree Service saved my garage and showed me what a chain saw is actually used for.

This is a section of the fir that is about 12 ft long and 30 inches in diameter.

They started with one of those trick little Stihl 150's and finished with a 36" bazooka.

[ Edited by: cy 2015-01-03 16:17 ]

T

"This originally was cute in the way it grew crooked"

You know you have to hang a tiki or light from this limb right?

WC

Polished & with impeccable detail,
your completed pieces are knock outs.

That monster log is gonna take some thought.

A
amate posted on Sun, Jan 4, 2015 6:36 AM

Outstanding work as usual Cy. Always a cut above the majority of us. Looks like some chainsaw work in your future and I'm looking forward to it.

C
cy posted on Sun, Jan 4, 2015 3:59 PM

I am seeing your most excellent idea Skip, mine was to nail wooden orange crate planks to the backside of the tree so I could climb and sit pondering the meaning of life while my legs dangle off the end. My family can see me from the house so flashing the high sign should have them tying a beer to a rope that I could then haul up. Will, the props of carvers that I admire is my very best inspiration! Happy to know you are still out there amate, I have been wondering where you been. My chain saw is already screaming to cut into that beautiful, fresh wood... patience is a hell of a difficult virtue. Here is a new small piece of poplar. Skip I need something small hanging from the top guy.

B

WOW, Incredible carving wood stored and I'm sure you have big Tiki plans for every piece. Love the last Poplar piece, Incredible design and detail. I should visit more often!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 1214 replies