Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Carvings from Frog Island Tikis

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 1,214 replies

C
cy posted on Sun, Jul 17, 2016 2:32 PM

Thanks for the comments fellow tikiphiles, I've got a few progress shots for you.
I thought diet boys were a little plain so I added some trinkets to spice 'em up.

I had some green rope in the garage so that is the color that was added.

He will part of the crew that will depart with me for the Tiki Oasis event.

I liked the way the blue turned out on another tiki I did so "Birch" got his first coat this week.

Birch looks good.
There's so much going on there.

C
cy posted on Sat, Aug 6, 2016 7:54 PM

Got "Birch" and "Captain Fritz" completed and look forward to hauling them to San Diego and Tiki Oasis, just two weeks away.

WC

Wild paint job man.
Blue's my favorite color.

C
cy posted on Sun, Aug 7, 2016 8:36 AM

A bit of false advertising there Will, those photos were shot with a blue light added, he is actually mummy grey.

Lookin good frog man
See ya in SD soon

Cheers

N

Excellent unique Tikis

At Tiki Oasis 16. Looking good, Cy!

C
cy posted on Wed, Aug 24, 2016 2:08 PM

Thanks for the cool picture FTLOT, they wanted to take me home, but I told them I was celebrating my 40th wedding anniversary and we would have to do it another time. They were obviously disappointed but they understood. Nice slide show on your thread also. Thanks for the comment nomolos!

[ Edited by: cy 2016-08-24 14:12 ]

Man U funny

Great to see ya Bruddah
Sorry I didn't have the drinks flowin this year
Couldn't drive in cuz of that stinkin fire
Had to fly in
And da airlines don't take kindly to gallons of rum in a carry on
Next time fo sho

C
cy posted on Sun, Sep 4, 2016 3:30 PM

It's always a pleasure to talk to you H10, I reckon it will be next May before we meet again. Here are some projects that are in the works.
I mended and re-painted "Joaquin" after a topple at Tiki Oasis snapped him in half.

When a friend brought me this cool piece of sweet gum I immediately thought of a quick sketch I did many years ago from a Don the Beachcomber ad.

The wood is fairly hard with a strange dark and light grain that reminds me of birch.

Also going is this milled cedar plank from my barn.

And a stump I cut in half, not sure where I will be going with these yet.

C
cy posted on Sun, Sep 25, 2016 4:25 PM

I know you have been waiting breathlessly for an update, most of my carving time went into this cedar stump that I cut in half.

The other half.

I started on an octopus headdress for this cedar piece.

The back is hollowed out.

I'm doing a small local non tiki show next weekend and really wanted to bring the middle piece of jelutong, but I broke one of the bones that stick out while unloading at Tiki Oasis. It is now fixed and reinforced like it should have been originally.

[ Edited by: cy 2016-09-25 17:06 ]

Lookin' great Cy, that was a big stump!

H

Love the piece with the bone going through it and I like your last piece, the thick one, and yes we were waiting impatiently for your progress report. :) :) :) :)

Lookin good frogger

C
cy posted on Sun, Oct 16, 2016 3:13 PM

Thanks MDM, hil, and H10, always satisfying to get nice comments! Almost finished with "Wrigley", a piece of sweet gum.

Also working "Nemo", a chunk of cedar.

Wow

Me like

I'm chewing on "Wrigley",
& like'n the flavor.

C
cy posted on Sun, Oct 30, 2016 1:29 PM

Thanks H10, very good Will! I have put a lot of time into "Nemo" the last few weeks.

He lights.

I also started a paddle I purchased cheaply.

The spooky one on the left is "Webster", a hard piece of purple heart, the other is jelutong that I just ripped into with absolutely no plan.

[ Edited by: cy 2016-10-30 13:31 ]

C
cy posted on Sun, Nov 13, 2016 1:15 PM

I did more work on "Chance", a 35 x 5 inch piece of scrap jelutong.

Also been working the stump of cedar entitled "Many Menehunes."

I brought him to my last show in October as a work in progress and a few people thought it would make a good table and I agreed. Besides adding a top I hooked him up with a backlight.

With the scraps of plywood from the table top I screwed n' glued this together and will be painted rather than carved.

Lookin good frog-Picasso

H

Any chance of a close up of that paddle you are working on?

"Many Menehunes."
you don't see them every day.
I've stacked them up but,
never shoulder to shoulder.

C
cy posted on Mon, Nov 14, 2016 12:13 PM

Thanks guys, hil I have not gotten too far on the paddle, one session with an Arbortech to cut the bigger sections, then another few hours with a carving knife. Here is where it's at.

Frog man looking to paddle off the island?

Lookin good Cy

H

Thanks for the close up Cy, looks great, keep us posted.

C
cy posted on Sun, Nov 27, 2016 3:43 PM

Some progress.

This is a 40 year old slice of cedar from my barn. Very dry, but fun and I have a bunch left.

[ Edited by: cy 2016-11-27 15:47 ]

Wicked senior frog

C
cy posted on Sun, Dec 11, 2016 3:52 PM

Thanks for the encouragement H-10, as long as there is any kind of positive feedback I ain't quittin'.
Ice and snow caused a bit of tree damage on Frog Island, but nothing tiki sized dammit.

Happy to report that we somehow kept power.

Besides paint I am almost finished with this small paddle named "Orson" as well as "Rowan"

Most time has been spent on this multi-layered plank of mahogany.

I chainsawed and grinded pieces for the face.

This is what it will look like all strewed and glued.

He has an ancient astronaut Mayan flavor.

[ Edited by: cy 2016-12-11 15:56 ]

I've said it once
I'll say it a million more times
"How the hell do u come up with this stuff"

:)

C
cy posted on Sun, Dec 11, 2016 5:24 PM

A proper recipe of external elements added to what others have described as an unusual or fertile imagination.

:)

C
cy posted on Sun, Jan 1, 2017 3:39 PM

Happy New Year all, I have some photos of what has been going on since my last post.
Detail work on "Cosmo", a piece of mahogany.

Next is paint for "Orson"

The mate is also done, named "Rowan"

My first attempt at alder.

It will have a cannibal flavor including a spoon, fork, and knife.

A chest high cedar branch also in the works.

H

Orson and Rowan is short for beautiful.. :)
I like everything else also..

Awesome

T

Awesome new stuff Cy. Luv those paddles!!!!

C
cy posted on Sun, Jan 15, 2017 3:59 PM

Thanks for the comments hil, H10, and BT!! I've had a few snow days off the last few weeks, all the better to forget about actually making a living and instead create some fun making tiki.
Damn the Maori.

Love their design but too much work.

The way I figure they had a crew of professionals that could work 24 hours per day to do all that detail work, am I wrong?

More Maori design, this one on a beauty Sawyer paddle.

Here is the mate.

Dude,
Way Kool...
Dig em

I like the direction.
Good stuff.

H

Love those paddles.

T

Wow, cy, just got caught up, killer work as always.. .inspired, and love your never ending flow of new ideas... (as Jon said a while back)!

Keep on keepin' on, glad you are safe and well with those storms...

C
cy posted on Sun, Feb 12, 2017 5:40 PM

Thanks friends for the encouraging input, I always use it for fuel to proceed forward!
Starting with some quick sketches, I enlarged them on my copy machine, carbon copied onto a Home Depot purchased plank of poplar, then jig sawed the outlines.

I am concentrating on smaller, quicker carvings this year to help with gas money to get to Caliente and Oasis.

They will have fabric backgrounds and be back lit.

Even a Ku!

Still waiting for 50 degree evenings so I can paint these that are about finished.

Another that I forgot in the group photo.

[ Edited by: cy 2017-02-12 17:41 ]

Sum body be on fire

C
cy posted on Sun, Feb 26, 2017 6:41 PM

Trying to stay interested in carving H10, thanks! Been having some fun on these smaller pieces.

"Murph"

"Hatch"

I used a flickering LED bulb that Tikiskip posted about for the bottom, hollowed out section of this piece of redwood. Although it is staccato rather than random in rhythm it gives off a cool flame-looking glow.

[ Edited by: cy 2017-02-26 22:03 ]

Awesome my man awesome

C
cy posted on Sun, Mar 5, 2017 3:18 PM

Thanks H10, I like to tell myself that progress abounds on Frog Island, and here is an update.
"Nemo" with a bunch of blue and orange dye.

"Many Menehunes." A mahogany stain to the top and bottom, just clear in the middle.

An assortment that will pack into my van for the journey to Tiki Caliente.

[ Edited by: cy 2017-03-05 16:08 ]

Awesome
I can't wait to see them all in person.

WC

It all looks great.
Colors look good too.
One of a kind stuff.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 1214 replies