Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Carvings from Frog Island Tikis

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 1,214 replies

N

Excellent work on the Palm!! I agree with McTiki...always outside the box. Your thread delivers time and time again. Keep doing what you're doing cause its working!!

C
cy posted on Mon, Oct 15, 2012 8:17 AM

Thanks skoo and Mc tikis and Nixxon, I always get a charge when my fellow carvers like what I'm doing!

Love the guy standing ON THE drum! :lol: I always like the names you come up with Cy.

Fantastic stuff Cy! In my opinion you're one of the most original carvers on here.

C
cy posted on Mon, Oct 15, 2012 8:08 PM

Thanks MDM, Lombardo was a favorite of mine and now resides in Seattle. He was named after a drummer I admire. Atomic I like your style also. I found out early that I need to go my own way rather than copy traditional carvings even though this definitely hurts sales. It's FUN first and if they sell that's all the better. Below is an early and only PNG piece that I sorta copied.

H

this is awsome and it took awhile to notice the skull at the base,you have skills, i enjoy your style

K

very nice. im really diggin this piece.

Chris

C
cy posted on Wed, Oct 24, 2012 5:07 PM

Thanks honrbl1 and Chris, it.s nice to hear from new blood on TC. This one is named Lucy after one of the earliest human skeletons found. I'm a big evolution guy and used the skull on the bottom to try and tie the ancient with the modern man.

Cy
U never stop amazing me

I think you should stop take'n drugs! :) Just kid'n Cy great stuff and truly uniqe as allways.

C
cy posted on Thu, Oct 25, 2012 8:13 AM

Thanks Hang10, was in your area over the weekend and stopped by the amazing Frankies Tiki Room. Crazy Al's carving is the best tiki I've seen. Watango believe it or not I get that comment a lot to which I reply "I have no idea what you're talking about officer." Keep up the great work!

P

LOL! Watango that was hilarious...

People never accuse me of drug abuse. Insanity maybe, but not drugs...

A
amate posted on Thu, Oct 25, 2012 4:42 PM

On 2012-10-25 08:13, cy wrote:
"I have no idea what you're talking about officer."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I assure you I'm not, officer. Honestly. I've only had a few ales...

M

that one is a stunner with all of the details. Very nice!

Mahalo

McTiki

C
cy posted on Sun, Nov 4, 2012 4:41 PM

Happy end of daylight savings day to most of you all. Here is a progress report. Almost finished "Lauderdale".

Fall is here on Frog Island. Free rum for anyone that shows up with a rake through December.

I added a red light and will paint some red highlights on him.

The tiki gods shined on me during the recent rains and deposited this piece of 20 foot cedar on my property. A lot waterlogged but I will use it.

Cannibalism is not funny but for some reason I keep coming back to the creepy subject. He will have one tasty morsel in his mouth and two on a stringer at the bottom.

I spent most of my time on the back hollowing out space for the pendulum and the green backlight.

Also got some time in on this basswood piece.

"Whitey's Frog" was a commissioned piece made of redwood. If you look closely you can see fish in his mouth.

[ Edited by: cy 2012-11-05 11:18 ]

A
amate posted on Mon, Nov 5, 2012 4:35 PM

Great stuff as usual. "Lauderdale"...now that's art! Really like the frog as well. Waterlogged or not...everyone could use a 20 foot log!

WC

Wow,
So much it's overwhelming.
Imagination is wild.
Detail is sharp, real clean.
Also like your use of color.
How you get that log home?

C
cy posted on Tue, Nov 6, 2012 8:23 AM

Thanks amate, I really appreciate the nice comments! Will, you can see that the log hung up on my water line that runs through the creek. I crawled down, pulled like hell and leveraged it up to my driveway. Thats where it lies now and I will probably carve it there to make it a bit lighter. It's such a small creek with so many twists and turns that I can't believe something that big made it to my place.

It's all been said before so I'll just second it. Wow. I loved the log photo too. Wendy

R

Very cool Carvings! definitely a unique style!!!

C
cy posted on Wed, Nov 7, 2012 8:14 AM

Thanks Wendy and dankeschon RIOTURBAN, looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.

interesting stuff as usual Cy, keep them coming!

C
cy posted on Sat, Nov 24, 2012 3:40 PM

Seems a wee bit slow here lately but tiki never sleeps. Finished "Eaton" with a green dye and used marker for the pendulum that is tic- tic- ticking away.

Also taking way too much time to hollow out "Maka Puke."

Here is his head. This piece is my first try with doug fir. It would not be my first choice of lumber as it is very chippy, but I would not attempt a base like this with cedar. I got the idea from a picture of a cool rattan chair.

I used an old purple teething ring from my grand baby for inspiration on the feet.

I have been using smaller carvings for inlays on recent stuff so will add this to the bottom of this bass wood piece.

I'm adding a security gate for this rock band tiki.

[ Edited by: cy 2012-11-24 16:08 ]

[ Edited by: cy 2012-11-24 16:25 ]

P

cool stuff as usual Cy...

I'm diggin' it...

"maka puke"...that's hilarious....

Cy, I love how you always come up with off the wall ideas. I can't say I've ever seen a Tiki with a pendulum! :lol:

Lots to absorb.
Bet they look even better in person.
The band get groupies kept at bay
by security?

A
amate posted on Sun, Nov 25, 2012 7:16 AM

On 2012-11-24 15:40, cy wrote:

I couldn't help but notice that poor fellow standing behind the trash can. That would be a home run carve for most of us but on Frog Island, he seems like a wallflower...kind of out of place amonst all the exciting extroverts.
Awesome stuff as usual.

C
cy posted on Sun, Nov 25, 2012 3:26 PM

Glad you get it pjc. Mad Dog I am an animation fan and anything that makes the piece move is a bonus. Will, they will be trained to let only the right ones thru. Good eye Amate but believe me "Gene" is no wallflower and is the" Guardian of the Garage" on Frog Island Tikis.
One of the first tiki items I ever received was a Tiki Farm mug from my daughter designed by Squid. This is a tribute done in two connecting pieces of cedar done back in 2002 and protecting me since. Unfortunately for him part of his job description is making sure raccoons don't get into the trash can.

It was a bit cold when I built him.

[ Edited by: cy 2012-11-26 21:48 ]

More Krazy kool frog island tikis

:)

cool stuff again Cy, I like Maka Puke, I have been thinking about incorporating a light into a carving for awhile, it works well...

On 2012-11-25 07:16, amate wrote:

On 2012-11-24 15:40, cy wrote:
I couldn't help but notice that poor fellow standing behind the trash can. That would be a home run carve for most of us but on Frog Island, he seems like a wallflower...kind of out of place amonst all the exciting extroverts.
Awesome stuff as usual.

@Amate Cy's always got really good stuff lurking in the background!

C
cy posted on Tue, Nov 27, 2012 3:46 PM

Thanks Hang10, always enjoy hearing from you. A Mess, I think using light, whether externally or from within, adds shadow, color, and character to a tiki. Try it!

C
cy posted on Sun, Dec 16, 2012 4:55 PM

Almost finished with this little ditty. The product of yet another "Happy Little Mistake" as Bob Ross/RIOTURBAN so eloquently put it. I designed the profile for "Nelson" first, decided I used too thick a chunk, so snapped a line down the center, held him with my feet, and chain sawed him in half. I reversed the image and used dowels to connect the two pieces.

This is how he looks today. I will clear coat then go back in and dial him in a bit more. I am thinking on using turquoise, orange, black, but mostly clear for the finish.

I added inlays to the bottom section.

[ Edited by: cy 2012-12-16 17:33 ]

Another awesome piece by the CYborg of tiki

That is some crisp detail CY.
Cool carve.
How many hrs a wk you carve>
How many carves you do this year?

WOW! Great symetry! I think symetry is what seperates the real artists from us wannabees; when you can make 2 exactly alike it shows that the first one didn't just "happen" :lol: Love the idea of the negative space in-between the 2 pieces

M

Awesome details and very original designs CY. Keep em coming.

Mahalo

McTiki

C
cy posted on Mon, Dec 17, 2012 6:27 PM

H10, I'm going to call you next time I struggle to come up with a name for a carving. Will the crisp detail is a result of my visit and seeing your work along with Alohas and a bit 'o Benz. I realized the need to step my game up in the finishing area and so I appreciate that you notice! I would say I average about 16 hours per week, usually doing 6 hours after work and 10 on the weekend. This has been my busiest carving year as I want to do Tiki Caliente in Palm Springs as well as Tiki Oasis in San Diego in 2013. I have done almost 20 this year, although only one big 'un. MDM you MUST think about the negative shapes to accentuate the positive and McTiki I will keep them coming as I have many more ideas than time to carve.

C
cy posted on Mon, Dec 31, 2012 4:47 PM

The biggest influence on my carving has to be music, I never work without it. My CD player choked with wood dust long ago and lately I've been listening to local Latino radio so the instruments of this band reflect that. This has to be the first attempt at an accordion playing tiki.

A rare sunny Pacific Northwest December day allowed me this shot with Mt. Hood in the background.

Like a psychedelic Chia pet this thing sprouts each year.

[ Edited by: cy 2012-12-31 19:15 ]

Oh no those fungi are eating that fellow alive. Beautiful work as always. Dan lives for music and plays records and CD's every day. Are you going to Caliente in 2013? I almost said this year but its too soon to say that. Wendy

Lookin good cy

Shroom-tiki looks cool too

A
amate posted on Tue, Jan 1, 2013 4:32 AM

An accordian playing tiki may just what the doctor ordered for me. Tiki is important to me but not wildly popular in Texxas. Since the accordian is central to Conjunto music, who knows...
My interest in Aztec art has been revived lately and I have several of those in the works along with the tiki projects I'm working on. and the mushroom tiki is so cool...I love it!
Great carving as always.

WC

That mushroom Tiki is beyond words.
You couldn't buy that.
Look how nature arranges them so perfectly abstract.

M
McTiki posted on Tue, Jan 1, 2013 7:04 AM

I always wondered if there was a connection with shrooms and Tiki. Now I have seen it. Excellent work Cy!

Happy new year!

Mahalo

McTiki

C
cy posted on Tue, Jan 1, 2013 3:52 PM

Wendy, besides the naked 3am fire dance by the pool last year (who knew thatch was so flammable?) I was very well behaved and hope Wildsvilleman will have me back in 2013. H10, Will, and McT I look forward to him sprouting a few times a year. I wondered where you hailed from amate, and I am having fun with carving the accordion, especially the bellows, and that Cajun zydeco music cooks! My own uneducated feeling is that tiki was most influenced from South American stylings but don't tell anybody.

:music: Tiki's got a squeeze box he wears on his chest and when Cy gets home he never gets no rest :music:

T

Really love Shroom-tiki!
Like the way you come up with new ideas for your carvings.
Great works!

C
cy posted on Wed, Jan 9, 2013 8:28 AM

Damn you Maddog, I have had that song in my head ever since you posted. Glad to see you wandering the halls of the tiki carving section tikiskip- I need to make up in imagination what I lack in carving skills. Thanks for the compliment!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 1214 replies