Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Carvings from Frog Island Tikis

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 1,214 replies

Don't let WillCarve fool ya! He's working, but I won't say on what. That's for him to reveal. I often find a burst of creativity after events. Sadly after Oasis I was a bit distracted - so new stuff will have to wait.

C
cy posted on Fri, Aug 31, 2018 1:01 PM

Tom, you were carving WHILE you were at Oasis, so you deserve a break, it was great to see you again. I figured Will would always have something going, I look forward to seeing what is up.

[ Edited by: cy 2018-08-31 13:02 ]

Good stuff CY
Bammmmmm

C
cy posted on Mon, Sep 3, 2018 5:50 PM

Thanks Jonny. a bit of progress to share with my TC amigos.

The top.

Middle.

Bottom.

Both sides match.

Eventually the back will look the same as the front.

GT

This stuff is Fantastic! Huge amount of fun! Didn't know there was so much.

T

TC amigos, Yes, Yes, Yes! :)

C
cy posted on Wed, Sep 12, 2018 8:52 PM

Thanks GT and BT for the comments! I torched this cedar piece and then grabbed the wire brush from the bbq and scrubbed as much of the black off as I could. Next is paint.

[ Edited by: cy 2018-09-12 20:53 ]

H

Nice carve Cy, looking forward to more.

Bammmmmm

C
cy posted on Sun, Sep 16, 2018 5:29 PM

Thanks hil and Hang, did a bit on this wall hanging. Two foot long, made from cedar with heavy copper wire for the treble hooks.

The idea came to me while watching Spongebob. Something like it hangs in his pad.

I'm hooked.
Reel me in.

Hook, line and sinker

Good 1 u lil stinker!!!

T

That's so alluring! :D

C
cy posted on Sun, Sep 30, 2018 2:23 PM

Quit trollin' me you guys. Put in some carving practice the past few weeks.
I burned the figures on this five foot cedar log and left the green portions sanded only.

The front and back and both sides are pretty much the same.

Inlayed glass belly button on bottom.

I wanted this piece to look like a stack of the river floats and cork I have been doing.

The grain on cedar pops out after you apply a torch to it.

Also working this 12 foot plank of Alaskan yellow cedar.

[ Edited by: cy 2018-09-30 14:30 ]

Dude- triple header looks awesome
Nice work

H

Love that 12 foot piece.

T

Love that panel!

C
cy posted on Sun, Oct 28, 2018 3:26 PM

Thanks for the props on the panel hil and BT, that one has been leaning untouched in my garage for the past month, but I will get back to it shortly. H10 I started a smaller 40' piece of cedar in the triple header style to keep me occupied in the meantime.

I also burned and wire brushed this wall hanging. Next is a stain of some sort, a dark walnut into the deep parts, and color dry brushed on sections.

[ Edited by: cy 2018-10-28 15:28 ]

T

Ah man, that lure's gonna be super cool!

H

Love the lure.

Sweet

I like your hook idea and the green bands left untouched. You are on a roll with creative ideas. Wendy

C
cy posted on Tue, Nov 6, 2018 7:45 PM

Thanks you guys for the feedback. I finished the paint on this wall hanging, a mixture of oak and dark walnut stain, then an acrylic yellow and orange in spots. The stain was not quite dry when I applied the watered down color, which gives it a dyed in look. Next is to paint the hooks silver and wrap with something.

Most of my time has been spent on this threesome made of cedar.

Dig the mid century head dress.

I made him to hold this beautiful hat made by Fez-O-Rama.

[ Edited by: cy 2018-11-06 19:52 ]

Dig em bof

H

Love Fez Tiki and the finished lure.

C
cy posted on Sun, Nov 18, 2018 4:04 PM

Thanks Jon and hil, I have some forward progress to report.
Cedar floats.

I burned them and then wire brushed the grain Witco style.

Purple highlights to match the rope.

This big boy is nearing the carving portion completion.

The bottom portion.

I made this one totem-style with a stacked story to tell about the importance of fish in the early Polynisian diet.

[ Edited by: cy 2018-11-18 16:14 ]

Good stuff.
That's not Witco it's Cyco.

C
cy posted on Sun, Nov 25, 2018 4:51 PM

Will that made me laugh, thanks brother! Burning has been fun and therapeutic, so I did it again on this cedar log. Next I added a very watered down reddish maroon acrylic to highlight sections.

A pretty green nautical rope dictated the colors on this one.

These two look well together, maybe I will just glue and make them free standing.

C
cy posted on Mon, Dec 10, 2018 6:20 PM

Always trying to be the teacher's pet, I bored like a deranged termite into this belly button high, six inch wide, two inch thick scrap piece of yellow cedar hoping for extra credit from Will.

The middle portion was inspired by New Caledonia roof carvings.

I used the corners on the bottom section.

Top and lower carvings came from my work with the small cedar floats. Still a lot to do.

[ Edited by: cy 2018-12-10 18:31 ]

T

On 2018-11-19 13:29, Will carve wrote:
Good stuff.
That's not Witco it's Cyco.

Cyco. I like that!!

Through the roof, Cy!

Wow
Busy busy
Great work Cy

T

All right Cy.
Still love the floats.

Always wanted to see a carver try to use the types of colors the people in the islands or jungles would have used, that is Charcoal for black, I think they used maybe berries for reds and white was some sort of sh$t from the ground.

The brown for Tapa comes from a nut of some sort.
Heck black walnuts would stain the crap out of anything.

Wear gloves or you will be Al Jolson for days.

Cool to see you working with colors on your carves as well.

Man,
I'm still adding up your extra credit.
I'll get back to you.

C
cy posted on Sat, Dec 15, 2018 7:43 PM

Thanks a lot for the feed back, and I agree BT, Cyco is very good. Tikiskip I have pondered the use of color in my carvings many times but have come to the conclusion that if the ancients had colors in a tube or can available they would have been foolish not to use it. A grayish green was applied to these floats to match the nautical rope on the bottom.

T

On 2018-12-15 19:43, cy wrote:
Thanks a lot for the feed back, and I agree BT, Cyco is very good. Tikiskip I have pondered the use of color in my carvings many times but have come to the conclusion that if the ancients had colors in a tube or can available they would have been foolish not to use it.

LOL, yep! They wou!d have been right there with us staining, painting, polyurethaning away after finishing their carves up with the latest power tools!

C
cy posted on Thu, Dec 27, 2018 8:53 AM

BT I once thought how great it would be to set foot on Bora Bora 100 years ago with a chainsaw and a barrel of premix, I would be king of the island! Then I thought they would probably kill me in my sleep, shrink my head, and take my shit so forget about it. Here is a small update.
Christmas Day shot before staining.

Mahogany and dark walnut added. Bill Collins/4WD calls stain Magic in a Can.

I used the side of the wood on bottom for the front of the faces, something I learned from will carve.

Middle portion was New Caledonia influenced.

Holes.

Top was modeled after the floats I've been doing.

Over the top.
As Benz would say
"don't let the shape of the wood control the carve"
However you can use the shape to your advantage.
You can really pop the nose out [for example] if carve on the corner.
Good job.

Looks great Bruddah CY

H

Lots of great pieces here, nice...

T

Beautiful stuff! Glad to see I'm not alone chopping through the holidays. Hard to imagine the time it took to make that many holes! Love that New Caledonia portion.

On 2018-12-27 08:53, cy wrote:
BT I once thought how great it would be to set foot on Bora Bora 100 years ago with a chainsaw and a barrel of premix, I would be king of the island! Then I thought they would probably kill me in my sleep, shrink my head, and take my shit so forget about it.

Ha! They would probably think you were a god. Think of the wahines they would bestow upon you! :D

Mahogany and dark walnut added. Bill Collins/4WD calls stain Magic in a Can.

Yep. The finish is half the battle. I'm still learning.

I used the side of the wood on bottom for the front of the faces, something I learned from will carve.

That Will. He's my hero.

[ Edited by: TheBigT 2018-12-30 11:00 ]

C
cy posted on Sun, Jan 6, 2019 1:43 PM

BT we both know tiki never sleeps. I can't remember when I started this 8 foot tall yellow cedar piece but I am glad it is almost finished.

Frog Island in the background mates.

Bottom features a spear fisherman, I'll figure out something better than a stick.

[ Edited by: cy 2019-01-06 13:51 ]

Stunning Cy

WC

Just plain wow.
A lot to be proud of there.

That is amazing! Really awesome work.

C
cy posted on Mon, Jan 21, 2019 3:19 PM

Thanks H10, Will, and SandBartender, so much time goes into carving that positive feedback really fuels the fire it takes to keep producing.
Made from basswood, I wanted to do something in a week so I have a few smaller pieces to bring to Caliente in Palm Springs this May.
A quick sketch.

I wanted to leave a lot of wood.

The shape was stout because of the character he is based from.

"Kamejiro" is from the book Hawaii.

He does have some air going on between his legs, mostly to show his ample dong.

I recessed the fish because I thought it would look better than having it stick out.

And the duke of CY knocks out another kool 1

I really like all the colors that you added to the tall tiki. Really a stand out piece. Well that's all you do! Wendy

Bass wood?
Does it grow there?
What's that story?
Do tell.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 1214 replies