Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Carvings from Frog Island Tikis

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 1,214 replies

just checked out your blog Cy, even more cool stuff on show there! really like 'Lucy'...

C
cy posted on Sun, Feb 10, 2013 3:03 PM

It seems you have a style influenced by PNG figures so I know why you like that one AM! Thanks for checking the blog, I do my best to update every Sunday.

T

Hey Cy, good luck with the new tiki and art gallery looks great already.
New stuff on blog site lookin good too.

C
cy posted on Sun, Feb 17, 2013 7:32 PM

"La Tsunami" Been working to complete this piece of plum.

A coat of grey stain for "Berry"

I worked on the lettering for Tikiskips sign. I will do a bit more detail work then add a dark stain for the background and leave the lettering and tiki guy natural.

A few orange highlights completes "Eaton"

[ Edited by: cy 2013-02-17 20:13 ]

A-Freekin -mazing as usual...

jon

So much goodness & from such a cold place.
I'm crippled at 50 here.
No carving at this time.

M

Awesomeness.

I was bundled up in the back 40 yesterday cutting on a little panel and froze my ass off.

I can't imagine being really cold like Dr. CY

Mahalo

McTiki

H

Nice carvings, you work is very original. I like all of them.

berry nice! ;]

C
cy posted on Mon, Feb 18, 2013 7:30 PM

Thanks Hang10. Will and Mctiki it was a warm and balmy 37-40 here this weekend and I can deal with that. hiltiki thanks for liking them all! I grew up in Van Nuys so I know Reseda well. Atomic you have nice stuff going on your thread so I appreciate mate.

A

Tsunami rocks!

P

dude...

you're KILLIN' IT!!!

T

I like the small orange guys on "Eaton"
So does Frog island get its name because a lot of forgs are there?

C
cy posted on Wed, Feb 20, 2013 10:03 AM

Thanks amate and Jeff (hope you are healing), and yes skip there really is a Frog Island. You can see it on the top of page 17. No fish as it is all rain fed and gets too low come September but the frogs love it here. I agree and think the orange morsels added to Eatons' mouth and stringer sets the green off better. Will finish the carving portion of your sign this weekend and paint next.

Cy I just got the shirts you did for me, and they are great!
Check sent, am going to need more shirts.
Love the new tiki and art gallery it's looking great as well.
Maybe a few less white walls.

Tiki Skip sign looks rad man!

C
cy posted on Sun, Mar 3, 2013 6:04 PM

Happy you like the t shirts John, and I appreciate the positive feedback Watango. I put the first coat of paint on Skips sign. Thanks MadDog and Aloha for the sound structural advise.

I also worked on "Gus" an older piece that was damaged when a little kid grabbed his knife when I wasn't looking. Quite possibly my strangest effort.

I added a dark stain to "Louis" to make the teeth and eyes stand out more. He is weighted nicely and fun to swing.

[ Edited by: cy 2013-03-03 19:03 ]

[ Edited by: cy 2013-03-03 19:05 ]

Cy, that sign is looking GORGEOUS!!! I took care of my 3 yo grandson this weekend and discovered that they have a sensor that leads them straight to anything dirty, fragile, or dangerous. Quite an impressive pile of shavings under Louis!

T

Cy I love this sign and can't wait to get it!
Keep up the great work!!

¤(¯*•.(¯*•..TIKISKIP..•*´¯).•*´¯)¤

Lights for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

Cy
Wow
All look stunning

Jon

I love Tiki Central because all day long I can look and say WOW! See you at Caliente, Wendy

PS I really like the bat

C
cy posted on Sun, Mar 10, 2013 6:34 PM

Thanks for the comments friends! MDM I worked hard for that pile of shavings, thanks for noticing. Here is the almost complete Tikiskip sign. Next will be figuring out how to ship.

I'm no chemist but I thought that spar varnish was anti-water, but when I could not find my usual brand I decided to give this a try. Upon opening I could immediately see it was a milky looking water based product but since I knew the sign would not be used outside for any length of time used it anyway. Turned out to be good, more like poly than varnish but provided a nice waxy after carve and finish.

Also worked on the base for "La Tsunami"

I really dig how your sign turned out.

Cy,

It's all classy and it's all idiosyncratic and good fun. Thanks for sharing it.

T

Looks great Cy!
Watch the mail this week, first package sent.

![](https://tikicentral.com/uploads/4035/513ce114.jpg)  
"Let us sale one to you"

-=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=-

Cy,

I really like that sign design that lights up. You have me thinking of all kinds of new ideas.

C
cy posted on Tue, Mar 12, 2013 8:22 AM

Thanks FTLOTs, and I can't argue with a Professor. Skip my tiki bar awaits your cool lighting touches and I'm glad I could provide a bit of inspiration MaukaHale.

C
cy posted on Sun, Mar 17, 2013 2:54 PM

Seems slow so I'll show what happened this weekend. Almost finished with "Maka Puke". Next weekend I should get him in paint as it's warming into the 50s around here.

He will be mostly red with clear highlights.

I looked in the Hawaiian dictionary and punched in "face" Maka and "book' Puke. I wanted the lit portion to reflect that.

He is made of doug fir.

Check out this cool light from tikiskip. I will get his sign in the mail tomorrow.

[ Edited by: cy 2013-03-19 20:49 ]

Wow! Crazy cool stuff ya got going there. A big thumbs up.

Lookin good cy-clone

Jon

I sure hope I can come visit you some day.

C
cy posted on Tue, Mar 19, 2013 8:50 AM

Thanks FTLOT, you guys motivate me. Hang10 you have to be running out of cyisms, Willcarve pop on by anytime, always beers in the fridge, rums in the bar and gas in the chain saws.

Looks great with the red light inside! How about a pic in low light?

C
cy posted on Tue, Mar 19, 2013 8:51 PM

Here you go MadDog. This should frighten and intimidate any members of an opposing tribe.

THAT'S what I'm talkin' about ~ SWEET!!!!!

Its a CY night light... Way cool

Jon

T

" it's warming into the 50s around here."
Glad to hear it Cy.
It's grey, rainy, Cold, Should be 50s but it's 35 here.
makin me nutz!

This new Tiki looks great!
Love the lighting you got on this one. Great job.

two thumbs up!!!

T

"Thanks for all the viewers in the Ukraine, Russia, Japan, and Germany hits these past few weeks!"

This is on your blog I would guess.
It's so awesome when your art goes out of the country.
The paintings you did are cool Cy, Great work!

C
cy posted on Sun, Apr 7, 2013 4:27 PM

Thanks MDM, H10, T-Skip and RIOT, I surely appreciate you looking and commenting! I signed up to vendor at the first annual Hale Pele event in May so come on down for the best tiki drinks in Portland plus live music-What else can you ask for? One more coat on Maka Puke and he will be complete.

Also finishing this branch of plum, "La Tsunami"

Here is the base in progress.

[ Edited by: cy 2013-04-07 17:15 ]

[ Edited by: cy 2013-04-07 17:19 ]

WC

The down side of detail is it takes time.
But, it sure shows.
Nice job on both carves.

C
cy posted on Mon, Apr 8, 2013 11:53 AM

Thanks Will, yeah after I posted these pictures I thought to myself "Damn, I'm not making any progress" but that is the nature of carving. I'm looking forward to finishing these two so I can finally start some new ones.

The wild mind of the CY-clone hard at work
New crazy Kool stuff as always

Jon

Those carvings are a slick as CY Jelly. Wait, that's KY Jelly ~ guess I better leave the Cy-isms to Jon :lol:

T

I like the multi grain colors ya got from "Maka Puke".
Red color works too.
Nice job, are the frogs chirpin yet?

Crazy, cool carvings as always. I like your use of that red stain - makes for a good contrast & pops right out at ya.

I'm thinking wow, crazy, wild and so much fun to see. You work so hard. Clay is hard enough but you do it with wood. You are terrific. See you soon, Wendy

C
cy posted on Fri, Apr 12, 2013 3:39 PM

Thanks H-10, sorry we couldn't connect on your visit to PDX. MDM I'm not touching your comment with a 10 foot pole. T-Skip and FTLOT thanks I really like the way that piece of doug fir looks after painting, the grain is really nice, and yes John the frogs are hatching. (Saw a beaver in the pond this morning, my first ever sighting of one since I moved here in 95) Thank you Wendy, Advil is a part of my diet and I'll leave Grog to come up with something for "you do it with wood."

[ Edited by: cy 2013-04-12 19:22 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 1214 replies