Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Sacramento Capital Tiki Bar/Living Space Tour October 7th, 8th & 9th, 2011-Registration Full

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 608 replies

R

On 2010-10-07 14:29, WSWahine wrote:
I'll be bringing a White Elephant!

Laura

okay but bring shovel for tha fella!

W

; )

On 2010-10-07 15:06, Brenda's Tiki Hut wrote:
Quick, we need to add 2 more stops to the crawl so we can have an entire calendar worth of photos of Steve

Sounds like Laura and I BOTH need to host NEXT year, Brenda! She's making good progress on her bar (The Bali Hai) while mine (The Reef Bar) is still virtually a blank slate.

We're both looking forward to drawing inspiration from all the amazing bars we will visit on the tour this year...

Steve

Oh, and MY elephant is PURPLE!!!!!

My, oh my.

How this has grown. In a little less than 14 hours we will kick off this event. It promises to be the biggest and best to date. I am encouraged to see so many new participants this year and appreciate the tenacity of those who hosted previous year's events back again.

There are some notable Tiki events (and remembrances) going on this weekend as well.

Obviously Tiki Kate is at the forefront of every one's thoughts and I appreciate Vamp's suggestion for a Saturday night moment of silence for Tiki Kate and other loved ones lost. Our thoughts will be with those who attend the Luau and services for Kate this weekend.

I understand there is also a wedding in the Bay Area this weekend, congratulations to bride and groom, many many years of happiness to you both.

Sunday the Shipwreck Tiki Lounge will be at the San Francisco Burning Man Decompression party in the Bay as well. Wish we could have been there for this.

So, while we celebrate in Sacramento, we will also be thinking of the other events going on and will miss those unable to attend ours this year. Hopefully if you had originally planned or were thinking about coming out this year but cannot, we will see you at one of our future gatherings.

Again, props go out to Dan and Wendy Cevola for the hours and hours of work they devoted these past few months creating and producing our event mug. I have the utmost respect for these two and needless to say a new found appreciation for mug making.

Thanks to the hosts who are bravely opening their doors...hold on...they are coming!

See you soon,

PTD

Only 8 more hours!

Thank you Duane, everyone keeps us feeling the love.

The mugs will be at Matt and Melody's tonight.

Sean's idea for a donation can for Ileen's mug will be there too.

7 hours 40 minutes! Yippee see you soon, Wendy

Duane 1 artist proof free, one mug to buy
Kingstiedye, he has connections, 1 artist proof free
Mike the mold maker 1 artist proof free
Wendylovestikis 1 free for Dan #10 mug, he's helped me every step of the way
Tiki Mookie 1 mug to buy
VampiressRN 1 mug to buy (reserved #11)
EBTiki Eric Banks 1 mug I owe him for a favor he did for Dan
Tiki G 1 mug to buy
Ka'lenatiki 1 mug to buy moved to the can't attend list below.
leleliz 1 mug to buy
KeithH 1 mug to buy
Chief Bartender Sean - 1 mug to buy
Tavrua - Ileen - serving our country 1 mug as a gift
Brenda's Tiki Hut - 1 mug to buy
Rugbymatt 1 mug to buy
Steve Soto 1 mug to buy
Alohacurrent Bran 1 mug to buy
LiddleLola Darilyn 1 mug to buy
SavageTiki Eric 1 mug to buy
Ken B. 1 mug to buy
Miss Monk-ii 1 mug to buy
WS Wahine Laura 1 mug to buy
debbiedotikito 1 mug to buy
Rummrunner Paul 1 mug to buy
Cathie Wartelle 1 mug to buy
Tacky Tiki - Barbara 1 mug to buy
Corona Contessa-Sandy - 1 mug to buy
Choptop-Alan (reserved #47)- 1 mug to buy
BahookaBuck-Eloy - 1 mug to buy
danlovestikis-Wendy - Dan's number 10 mug is deformed so I decided that I really want one for myself and not his poor guy.
the quin -Bill and Tonja - 1mug to buy
TikiTnT -Terri and Tom - 1 mug to buy
Marone Tiki - 1 mug to buy

Here is a list of people not attending the crawl but who would like to get a mug if there are some left over. If any on the above list do not make it to the crawl they will go on this other list.

Ka'lenatiki 8/8
Tobor64 request 8/9
Big Kahuna 8/10
Kohalacharms request 8/16
1961surf request 8/17
Vampiress RN's niece 9/14
A friend of PTD's 9/20
AquaticSafari-John 9-25
Aquarj -Randy 9-28
Bongofury - Ron and Mickee 9-28
Taboo Dan- Dan in BC Canada 10-1
Tiki Tonga - Nelson 10-1
bigbrotiki - Sven 10-1
Tiki Kaimuki - Falin 10-2
Kahaka - 10-3
Gecko in Hawaii - 10-4
PolynesianPop 10-5
ron-tiki 10-8

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2010-10-08 16:25 ]

W

See y'all in about 6 hours!

I love coincidences. Today Dan and I went to the Discovery Shop run by the Cancer Society. It's our favorite place to shop. He went through a stack of records and look what he found. Wendy

35 minutes and we are on the road to the first stop of the crawl. Oh Yeah!

I am so excited.....I will be able to stop by Duane and Amy's place on Saturday during their portion of the crawl. I am sorry but it is so hard to plan anything ahead of time when you are self-employed, and especially in this economy. I work a lot of weekends and really appreciate having the work to keep me busy. I look forward to seeing you all at Duane and Amy's beautiful home....but wait there is more...if anyone wants to come by my place ''Moondog's Tiki Tavern'' on Sunday Morning I will be serving Bloody Marys. I do not want to disrupt this wonderful planned schedule that Duane and everyone has put together so if you want to come by it will be from 8am to 9am. This will still give you time to to get to Wendy and Dan's incredible place. I will have more info tomorrow at Duane and Amy's. I am about 3 miles from their home. I will have Door prizes, but I don't blame you if you want to sleep in....... but if you ever wondered what Moondog's Tiki Tavern is all about, here's your chance....Brad and Duane will tell you I still need some practice on the Mai Tai. I would have to agree, but I know my way around a bloody mary. I have a function to attend that afternoon but serving my friends would be a pleasure. Just a thought for you crawlers..........see you at Duane and Amy's.....be safe!

Man Moondog you are a party animal. We look forward to those amazing hugs tomorrow at Duanes. We will miss going to your place due to prepping for the gang to arrive at ours on Sunday but we want a rain check. See ya soon, Wendy and Dan

W

One day down and two more to go, yipee! Got my mug, I am a happy camper. Thanks to you Wendy for all your hard work, they look even better in person than the lovely pictures you posted!

Laura

Ah Wendy... you are such a loveable enthusiast of Tiki! Great time to all on this wonderful Nor Cal weekend and Wendy, your mug looks beautimous... fantabuful... wonderiffic!!! Great job - I love snoopin' on this thread!

C

Had a ball tonight, nice meeting ya'll!!!

Wont be able to make it to the morning/afternoon stops on Sat.... but will be around Sat. night.

Thanks a ton Wendy for the mug.... amazing work.

Well, the crawl is underway! What a great turnout at the Keno Kai, thanks everyone for coming, we loved seeing all the new faces and enjoying our home with new and old friends!

Matt (the cat, or El SophistiGato!) told me he had to make another batch of cocktails for the jug! I'm glad the Chief Lapu Lapu was such a tasty concoction, thanks for the suggestion Mike!

We love the mug Wendy, it's amazing in person. Oh, by the way, who left one at our house? oh, no-one... we tried :)

We're looking forward to seeing some new places today. Having coffee now to get the train in motion.

Thanks again everyone who came out to our house for the kick off. We really had a great time and Woody finally went to bed on his own before the last of you left! He was so tired...

Can't wait to see your pictures. I only took a few and then got busy hosting and forgot so please post photos!

See you in a bit...

TikiMookie (Melody)

**It's soooooo cool seeing Sacramento at the TOP of the Tiki Central board! :D
I was hoping to see some photos from yesterday, none up yet. :(

Eva and I will be on our way in about an hour.....can't wait to see everybody again!** :drink:

[ Edited by: Dr.TikiMojo 2010-10-09 09:03 ]

S

Matt and Melody,

Thank you so much for opening your beautiful home to us last night.

Your backyard is amazing and gives me lots of ideas!

It was a great start to this year's home tour.

And I'm thrilled with my mug (#5).

See you in an hour at Bullet's...

Steve

Thank you everyone for all the hugs and for picking up your mugs. Matt and Melody your parties are always outstanding and the food so yummy.

Holden having Tiki Farm watching this thread is a dream come true. Thank you for purchasing one of my War Gods way back when we visited your terrific tiki room. You have always shown me support and I appreciate it.

Thank you one more time to Duane, Mike, Bullet, Dan, Babalu, Notch, Joniece Frank and Gecko. Without each of you I would never have pulled it off.

1 HOUR and the day long party begins. Cheers, Wendy

Nice party M&M, sorry we missed it. Catch up witcha laterz..

T
TikiG posted on Sat, Oct 9, 2010 10:58 AM

Man - bummed to have to miss this event...hopefully Wendy will reserve a mug for me?

Have fun, gang! G

Great day for the crawl...beautiful weather. Sorry we didn't make it last night and not crawling today, but finishing up preparations for tonight...rum, rum, and more rum. The Mother Unit is looking forward to the band tonight and is even up for crawling tomorrow...woo hoo!!!

W

Matt and Melody, loved the Keno Kai. The back yard is so private and tropical. Yummy cocktail you served, must get the recipe. Thank you both for being fab hosts!

Laura

T

Matt and Melody,

Thank you so much for your hospitality last night. Your house is nicley decorated with some cool stuff. Wendy and Dan, thanks for bringing the mugs, top notch. A real treasure. I enjoyed meeting some new tiki friends. Hope to see everyone later tonight.

Bill

TC Username

The Quin

W

Hey Tacky Tiki, LOVED the house and lush backyard! Glad you were on the tour this year. Your decor is amazing! Please sign up for next year when I can remember to bring my camera!

Laura

AWESOME...AWESOME...AWESOME...having the Martini Kings play in my dining room. They did such a great job and it was the first time for many folks to see them play. I feel very blessed to have had them in my home. Met a lot of new folks tonight and it was great Tiki Ohana to party with. Here is a pic of my Mom with Frank & Tony...Thanks Guys!!!

W

Marlene, Your Mom ROCKS! Sorry I couldn't make it tonight as I know I am missing so great tiki! Will try and hook up in the near future!

Laura

Here are just a few pics I took of the Saturday tour. I was mainly focusing in on the awesome collections. I was amazed at these extensive collections and there was even so so much more than this. I was too busy talking, eating and drinking to properly document this wonderful tour.

Martini Kings at Vamps ( they were really cool!)

Tacky Tiki's

Tacky Tiki's

Tacky Tiki's

Tacky Tiki's

Psycho Tiki D and Tikihammer's

kingstiedye's

kingstiedye's

kingstiedye's

kingstiedye's

kingstiedye's

kingstiedye's

Looking foward to next year!
Aloha!

[ Edited by: abstractiki 2010-10-10 09:02 ]

More photos coming soon, I'm getting the food ready for our open home starting in 30 minutes. Thank you Matt, Melody, Bullet, Sandy, Sean, Duane and Ami, Barbara, Audrey and Marlene. The last two days ROCKED, not to mention 30 mugs are now in other hands!

I'll post photos soon along with those I take today of Darilyn, Matts and Brendas.

I hope you all have energy enough to make it here, lots of goodies and tikis. Hugs, Wendy and Dan

Excellent tiki crawl - mahalo for everyone's hard work!

Photos from Friday night

WOW!! nice shots of the yard, thanks.

We had a great time yesterday, All the stops were fun, thank you all so much.
some of the collections were overwhelming!

Too bad we only do this once a year.

see you shortly

**SATURDAY ROCKED!!!! :tiki: :drink: :music:
The Sacramento Tiki Ohana ROCK! :D Some the most incredible collectors, beautifully decorated homes, the COOLEST people around!
You inspire me and motive me! It was a pleasure to be apart of your event!
Mahalo to EVERYONE involved....even all the visiting participants from near and far, (Shout out to PORTLAND!), that made Saturday such an incredible event!

With extra, super bonus Tiki Mahalo to Marlene/Vamptiki for hosting the ever so smooooooth and cool MARTINI KINGS!!!
While I've seen them several times none was as cool as chillin' in your living room with the Sacramento Ohana!
And of course Dan & Wendy who designed and created the Official Event MUG!

Lookin' forward to MORE PHOTOS!

Mahalo Plenty!

Much Love my bradahs,

Dave & Eva **

Here are a few pictures I took from the crawl...

Unfortunately, we ran home and gave Woody his pill, then I forgot my camera for the rest of the crawl! Had a wonderful time though! thanks everyone!!! Your homes are amazing!

Tired, happy and proud.

I will post more later, but mahalos, so many mahalos again to all the hosts and attendees.

Three words come to mind...

WE ARE TIKI

Sacramento Ohana.

I'm a day behind so first here are photos from Saturday. One of the best Saturdays we have ever had. Duane you put together the ultimate party weekend.

L

Dear Sac Ohana--

Thank you for an amazing weekend! It was so great to be able to spend time with such down to earth and interesting folks while being able to enjoy great food, great drinks, epic tiki decorating and of course the stylistic sounds of The Martini Kings. For a town without a tiki bar to call its own you sure do a kick ass job of creating enough tiki environments to keep everyone happy.

Thanks to all the hosts - I appreciate being able to get a glimpse into your private tiki bars and its truely amazing to see how the love of tiki can be displayed in so many ways. Highlights include taking in Bullet's phase 1 of his buildout and being able to get a sneak peek into Phase 2 (cant wait to get up close to all those Muntikis so get to building Mister!),seeing the awe inspiring Jungle Room, Darilyn's Shag inspired living room, sleeping in Duane's tiki infested bedroom, lounging on the couch watching Frankie and Annette in Brenda's space, having a fantastic drink in Sean's airy bungalow, finding a kindred thrift spirit in the sprawl that was Tacky Tiki/Mom's hideout (when am I moving in again??), kicking back in the recliner watching the Martini King's at Vamp's and getting to chow down on delicious food while taking in some amazing mugs at Matt's place...this weekend was one for the memory books!

Special thanks to:

The Martini Kings for playing Vamp's place--something about a band playing inside someone's home that makes them sound THAT much better--and thanks to Vamp for getting them up here.

Everyone who bought something from me at the Garage Sale. I am always happy when I have less stuff to pack then what I brought!

TikiHula for the great deal on the perfect coffee table

Rugby Matt for the steal on the end table

Dan (of Wendylovestikis) for my surprise gift. You are one of my favorite people to talk to and i am so glad we got to chat so much this weekend :)

Duane and Ami for letting me spend the night, drive me around and generally put up with me for 2 days straight :)

Duane for taking me out to his hunting grounds AND for letting me take home a few great scores. Now if only Ami would not object so much to our tag team hunting in the future.....

Last but not least thank you to Wendy and Dan for the Sacramento mug . Wendy your enthusiasm for tiki and the time and detail you put into this piece is mind boggling.

If you have never met Wendy and Dan you would be hardpressed to find 2 more open hearted, good natured, kind and loving people anywhere within this community. If you ever get invited to see their collection GO! because it is unlike anything you will ever see. The best part about the overall collection is you have 2 people who truely love tiki and support our artists housing it. From the Buzzy bedroom (hehe) to the seahorse bathroom to the garage to the top of the stairs to the jungle room everywhere you turn there are more and more things to see that you have never seen and more and more stories to be told about how these items got into their home.

Wendy if the mug is any indication of what we can expect from that brand new kiln of yours in the future you are going to be fighting people off with a stick trying to own a piece of your work. I will house the Sac Crawl Mug among my favorite pieces in my collection and I love and thank you so much for all you put into making it.

So Sac Ohana...want to do it all again next weekend?

Many mahalos!!xoxoxo

Leleliz, thank you from the bottom of my heart. We already feel like you are a part of our family, we just love you that much. Everyone from this weekend and so many in the tiki community who couldn't be with us are such an important part of our lives we think of you daily.

I read these posts and I am so grateful to Marlene (VampiressRn) for building this family. She's the glue that binds us. We are all so fortunate to be able to come together and to just smile at each other for days.

This event, this hug fest invented by Duane (Pycho Tiki D) has become a true event. 2011 is just around the corner, I'm ready. Friday and Saturday were truly wonderful days. Yesterday the people we met the days before are now known and have joined our family and are no longer "new". I was joyful from beginning to end. Thank you Darilyn your room is beautiful, Matt you're a doll, great food too, Brenda always a pleasure to relax at your home at the end of the crawl.

Thank you everyone for your support of the crawl mug. It's been a journey that taught me so much. I've had so many artists that helped along the way I will forever be grateful to them. MadDogMike, Notch, Babalu, Jonice Frank, Gecko all terrific artists. I am grateful to my Ohana for taking the mugs to their homes and to my husband of 32 years Dan for helping me every step of the way.

Here are the photos from Sunday in reverse order. Love ya, Wendy

Thank you Marlene for bringing the Martini Kings to the crawl. That was exciting and joyful and we danced the night away to their beautiful music. When they played the theme to Man From Uncle Dan just beamed. We love their music and we love you.

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2010-10-11 10:58 ]

This crawl was amazing! We are definitely on the Tiki map now. I am so proud to be part of this wonderful Ohana. I was really happy to get the time to know some of you better.
Thanks to all of you for the compliments on my home and lounge, I really appreciated all the wonderful feedback.
I'm so sorry I didn't make it to Bullet's house. I missed a gem there but I have something special to look forward to next year. Audrey and Barbara, your place is wonderful. Your fears were unfounded. It was one of my favorite stops. Your collection of all-things-vintage is just incredible. I could have spent a lot more time there just gawking and taking it all in.
A special thanks to Brenda, Scott and TikiAxeMurderer :wink: for bailing me out. I was behind schedule and they came to my rescue so I could have drinks and pupus ready for the hoards as they arrived. I'll be wiser next year (maybe we need a tip sheet for newbie hosts).
There are just too many to thank, you know you are.

Marlene, you knocked it out of the park bringing the Martini Kings to the crawl.
Here is a link to a video I took with my pnone. It's poor quality but you'll get the idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=486T5LPHmrM

I'm already looking forward to next year.
Love to you all,
Darilyn

Notice: I am going to the post office to find a flat rate box for the mug. I will then contact each of you on the out of town list to let you know if I have a mug available and the cost plus shipping.

Ken B. and BahuookaBuk let me know if you want to move to that list since you couldn't make the crawl.

Thank you everyone at the crawl for picking up your mugs. I am working to pay off the shed and kiln and you all helped me on my way to that goal. I appreciate every wonderful compliment about the mug and our home. I'm still on a crawl high, you are all super.

Cheers, Wendy

i had a great time this weekend. due to my never ending back problems and 43 year love affair with the sf giants, i didn't participate as much as i would have liked. i must see tacky tiki's place next year. thanks to everybody for the nice comments on my tiki room. i hope it'll be a little better dialed in by next year. special thanks to duane, wendy, dan and my old buddy mikey cloud for getting the mug done. a great addition to my collection and brings back great memories of the zombie hut when i was a kid. wendy, you are an amazing force of nature! i'm blessed to have you and dan. also mahaloz to out-of-towners keith, matt and eric for the gifts when you visited. great to meet you braddahs. and more thanks to abstracttiki dave for the islander picture. your generosity and knowledge about the islander are much appreciated. i'm also lucky to have a wonderful, generous friend like stevesoto. mahalo cuz! and of course thanks to my wonderful wife sandy for the help and support. thanks for making this happen, duane. go giants!

bangin' my slit gong drum until the cops come!

[ Edited by: kingstiedye 2010-10-11 13:21 ]

You know Wendy, that's not a REAL ceramics studio until it gets at least 3 inches deep in clay dust :lol:

On 2010-10-11 13:48, MadDogMike wrote:
You know Wendy, that's not a REAL ceramics studio until it gets at least 3 inches deep in clay dust :lol:

I commented about that with amazement in my voice when I peeked in to the studio. I was set straight right away. I've been told clay dust is carcinogenic and must be clean away with a wet rag every evening. Don't want my favorite mug maker to get sick!

C

Thanks to all involved with the crawl... Melissa and had a blast. Will be sure to keep up on events in the area and attend when our schedule allows.

Sorry I couldnt continue on with the crawl on Sunday, but family duty called.

I was blown away by the collections that I saw and re-assured that I do not have a tiki "problem" :D

TT

Thanks for all the awesome photos! Looks like such a great time!

Wow, what can I say? This weekend was definitely a dream come true for me! Amazing homes filled with Tiki treasures, fantastic food and drinks, bargain shopping, stellar live entertainment, a limited-edition mug, and spending time with some of the finest folks on the planet.

Thanks to EVERYONE involved, but especially to Duane for dreaming this up for us and having the courage to put it together. We are so lucky to have you here.

Marlene, as everyone says is "the glue that keeps us together" and was the impetus for creating the Sac Ohana in the first place. I was so happy to meet your Mom!

Dan and Wendy are our local "celebrity" couple and our goodwill ambassadors of Tiki. I know they both worked really hard on our mugs. What an incredible memento to have!

To all the hosts, you totally amaze and inspire me. It's so interesting to see everyone's particular slant on Tiki and how they integrate it into their home environments. All are quite different and reflective of who you are. Thank you for sharing it with us.

To all my fellow crawlers, I can't think of anyone I would rather spend my time with. I enjoy your company always. It's great that we are continually adding to our numbers along the way. I was really happy to see and meet new folks and especially our visitors from out of the area (Reno, Bay Area, Portland).

I am planning on participating as a host next year. But, I have a LOT of work to do in the meantime, to measure up to your standards!

Aloha nui loa,
Steve

L

I took lots of pics of everyone's places...but these 3 are my favorite of Dan and Wendy's..mainly because I have a Tiki Bob addiction and I had anticipated seeing them most of all.

Pretty amazing :)

Love this green one!

Steve, you are such a doll. You are giving us a couple of big heads but that's ok. We look forward to your hosting. leleliz, we love Tiki Bob too so one day I will make more of my Tiki Bob bowls, so many projects so little time but that's high on my list of must do it. Tiki Bob was a Sacramento place too. Duane and I are working up an idea for next years mug, hummmm. Brenda, thank you, I love being your favorite mug maker. Choptop it was super to have you and your wife with us.

I'm looking forward to next year already, Wendy

E

Love seeing everyone's pix - thanks for posting!
Wendy, I owe you for a mug ...
Eric

K

I sat in my van for 8 hours on the drive to Vegas trying to come up with the right words to thank you all for such an incredible weekend. I'm still stumped! I know I will forget many names (mind like a steel trap - rusted and full of holes).

The only thing I can come up with is that I hit "Inspiration Saturation" after seeing everything you all have done. If I were not here in Vegas right now I would be working 24/7 on my own slice of Tiki.

Brenda - I don't even know where to start. It was an honor to be able to stay at your home. Thank you for showing me around town. You are an awesome host.

Wendy - Many have said it already but thanks for your hard work on the mugs. I will cherish it and proudly display it in my own tiki bar.

To those that posted pictures, thanks. Page 22 of this thread keeps crashing my pad. I am going to have to wait to view them all until I can get home.

To each and every host (I wish I could remember who I was half the time)... WOW! I was totally blown away by each and every different interpretation.

I will be back! And I look forward to seeing everyone at Tiki Oasis next year. You guys ROCK!

Keith The Axe Murderer :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 608 replies