Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Sacramento Capital Tiki Bar/Living Space Tour October 7th, 8th & 9th, 2011-Registration Full

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 608 replies

Woohoo! What an incredible outpouring of hospitality. Mahalo! Mahalo! Mahalo to Everyone who helped to put this event together and to all the Hosts & Hostess who opened up their homes to everyone. Everyone's Tiki Bars and Collections left us Speechless. The Hosts and Hostess were second to none. It was so nice to spend the weekend with old friends and making new friends too. Thank you again for everything. Pics coming soon....Once we get home.

C

some pics...

swanbergs

[ Edited by: Choptop 2011-10-10 12:29 ]

[ Edited by: Choptop 2011-10-10 13:42 ]

C

The Lava Lounge

[ Edited by: Choptop 2011-10-10 13:45 ]

C

Ruggers Reef and Tiki Garage Sale

[ Edited by: Choptop 2011-10-10 13:48 ]

C

Keno Kai

[ Edited by: Choptop 2011-10-10 13:49 ]

C

The Jungle Room

[ Edited by: Choptop 2011-10-10 13:50 ]

Thanks to everyone who participated this weekend. I hope you enjoyed yourselves whether crawling or hosting. Thanks to Duane for his efforts..again! Thanks also to Alan aka Choptop for handling the on-line registration and event badges.

C

I'd like to send out a special thanks to all the hosts and attendees this weekend. Your hospitality and generosity truly embody the Aloha spirit. Thanks for going out of your way to make us feel welcome and WOW what an amazing collection of cool and unique homes. Mucho Mahalo's to you all. Bravo and well done.

Duane

Many thanks to the hosts and event organizers! This was our first home tiki crawl and although we didn't make it to everyone's home, that only reflects our lack of stamina and conditioning! We had an awesome time at the Mandarin and thoroughly enjoyed Rugger's Reef (me a little too much!) punch and hospitality, the garage sale and the Jungle Room on Sunday. Many thanks to Dan and Wendy (and Duane too, I read the bottom of the decanter!) for such an absolutely awesome decanter! Wow, pictures don't even do them justice! Dan and Wendy, thank you for your hospitality and for all of the added little treats and hugs!

It was soo very nice to meet all the real people behind the TC names, look forward to seeing you all again real soon!

Thanks so much to everyone!

Greg "Blue Kahuna"

Hi Everyone, speaking of names...Gregory I know you are not Kevin, he's my nephew but for some reason I kept calling you by that name and I never had a drink stronger than juice I swear. Forgive me.

To everyone, we had an outstanding time. We just loved everyone who came or hosted you are all our friends. Thank you for taking the decanter into your homes. I hope you will always think of the fun crawl when you look at it.

I thank Duane for thinking this event was worthy of so much work. He was right. I also thank him for inspiring the Zombie Hut/ Coral Reef mug last year and the Tiki Bob Decanter this year. Duane send me any more ideas you have it's possible you could bump the project I've started to the back burner. I want you involved.

Thanks Choptop the name tags were perfect, I loved checking the back to see if it was time to arrive or head out. Matt the glasses are terrific and we are so happy to have them. So much so that it's really hard to part with any.

I look forward to next year and to each and every Tiki Tuesday.

I have sent each host photos that I've taken in their homes during the crawl. They will post what they like from them, some or none. I'm being lazy. I will post photos from our home either tonight or tomorrow. Right now it's time for dinner and also Hawaii 5-0 tonight. Hugs, hugs, hugs for you all, Wendy and Dan

GG

As a Tiki newbie I want to thank all who put on such a great event as this. I was blown away by all the collections and tiki environments I saw, but was especially impressed by the friendly hosts and crawl attendees that I met along the way! Special thanks To friends Steve and Laura for introducing me to all this!! (Go Ganne), aka Bruce

Was that bacon pecan pie? :D

Was wondering that myself :) Sorry to have missed it yet again this year ( i hate work, but it has it's good points) but it looks like everyone had a great time. Sorry that there was drama, it always puts a shadow out on a sunny day.

On 2011-10-10 19:23, MadDogMike wrote:

Yes, Rugby Matt made Homemade Bacon Pecan Pie :)

C

And don't forget the bacon wrapped dates. Yum!!!
Thanks Rugby Matt.

Rugby Matt is my new hero! :lol:

Only made it to a couple of houses this year (recovering from broken wrist) so missed that bacon pie. Hope you make that again in the future Matt!!! Gives me inspiration for recipes when I host next year...LOL.

Thanks everyone for posting all the great pictures. Trying to catch up with new friends on facebook...so fun meeting new folks.

[ Edited by: SoccerTiki 2011-10-11 08:29 ]

A first view of the Tiki Jungle Room.

Thank you everyone for coming to the danlovestikis home. We had a blast having you as our guests. We had the very best of times at every other home as well. Cheers and here's to next year. Wendy and Dan

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2011-10-11 08:50 ]

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2011-10-11 08:51 ]

On 2011-10-10 11:22, Wildsville man wrote:
As I did Not attend this event and I don't know anymore of the situation then what you stated,I do know this from doing my own event.

Call them out publicly,

Ban the individual from the future events,as to not punish the group

Don't let someone BULLY anyone. If you noticed a problem then I am sure others did too.......

The line needs to be drawn. As I say with Tiki Caliente,"Its not the biggest,it's the best" and to make it that way I believe you have to tell some people they are not welcome.

Rory it really is a shame that this can't be done!
I am pretty positive you have never met Psycho Tiki D before but when you do you will see how he really doesn't play the whole drama game.He also does not overtalk people or push his ideas on anyone. Same can't be said for other parties involved this year.

The incident with something being taken/misplaced was an uncomfortable one. When the host had everyone leave she was later rudely chastised for doing so by this same person. Keep in mind that the host is a core Sac Ohana who opened up her home last year as well during a crawl that had NO DRAMA whatsoever. In fact last year's event was the most pleasant tiki gathering I have ever been to.

In addition the person who made the announcement was later bullied by 2 other crawlers for sticking up for the host and asking everyone to leave. As PTD said in his original post the host ASKED This person to make the announcement--there are NO "different stories floating around". Not cool at all and something that will not be forgotten.

It really is sad that the saying "One bad apple spoils the bunch" is true in this case. Its like a cancer that should be cut out since its affecting everyone bit by bit.

Psycho Tiki D is one of the nicest people to know..he is an avid tiki enthusiast and has shared (much to MANY people's envy!) some amazing pieces of tiki history on these boards. For him to post what he did a few pages ago about stepping down from an event he helped start is pretty freaking sad and shows the level of disrespect that some people are completely cool with acting on.

With Regards to the Event -
The weekend was a fun - and exhausting one!

It was great to have Soccertiki and WooHoo come hang out for the weekend and it was easy to tell that by Sunday night they had definantly enjoyed themselves :)

I had never been to Swanberg's store so that was a nice place to begin on Saturday--it was great to see tiki folk supporting an independent retailer who deals in what we all love.

Tacky Tiki's lounge is a marvel of kitschtastic decor. I can not believe how much amazing stuff they have jammed and so artfully displayed in their home.

The garage sale was a huge hit I thought. So much stuff to look through and I could see many people were leaving with some awesome treasures.

TikiMookie/Matt The Cat's home is beautiful. Their rattan set is really eye popping and the fire pit out back was such a welcomed thing to have as the sun set. I have to say the best part of their stop was the gumbo. Good lord that was some heavenly food :)

Sunday always starts off with the impressive collection of Wendy & Dan . It is such a treat to spend time with this pair not only because their upstairs Jungle Room is mind blowing but because of how enthusiastic and loving they both are. If you have never had the pleasure of seeing Wendy's smile or getting to talk music with Dan you are missing out.It goes without saying that the decanter they made this year is epic. I don't know how they will top themselves but I said that LAST year so we shall have to wait and see....

What I love about Darilyn's house is not her tiki bar/room collection (which is great) but her SHAG inspired living room. Talk about swanky!

Hanging out at Brad and Melanie's was such a treat because they not only handed out necklaces/glasses/swizzles to keep but they had a great food spread AND hula dancers! Talk about one heck of a stop.

Sunday night ended at Brenda's who has a great home with plenty of party space AND she and Scott both donned great pilot/stewardess duds which added to the fun atmosphere of the evening.

From what I heard throughout the night this may be the last time many of the hosts decide to open their homes up for so many strangers to parade through so I feel lucky to have been able to see so many awesome collections before they are "vaulted" away.

Events such as the Sac Crawl are not meant to "put cities on the map". They are meant to bring our somewhat small community closer together marveling over the odd crap we collect and creating friendships that last longer than a weekend. We talk alot about feeling the "aloha" spirit amongst our gang of obnoxiously bright shirt wearing/super strong drink guzzlin/dusty ceramic buying peeps but what does this really mean? It means showing your fellow tikiphiles respect--when someone puts years of effort into planning events such as this one you would think they know what works to throw an event such as a crawl and listen to ideas as a collective whole-not steamroll over people because you talk louder than everyone else. When someone is not comfortable having people in their home after discovering something is amiss you do not degrade them and put them down but instead offer your assistance in righting the wrong and ensuring them that things will be worked out. You also don't think you have a right to speak about matters you know nothing about just because you think the "facts" you have are indeed correct.

I love so many of the Sac Ohana and hope that both old and new members of this tiki community can work out the kinks, get rid of the cancer and gather again in the future in the same manner as has been done in the past.

[ Edited by: SandraDee 2011-10-11 09:11 ]

I want to see an end to the discussion of what happened at my house on Saturday. I would love to have people remember the good things that happened at the crawl..there were awesome drinks..great friends..hula dancers..great food...

For the record, it was a bit into my stop that I saw something missing from the wall. I had just rearranged the mugs on that wall the night before and had been planning where I was going to put my shelf I won in Chicago at CATT, so I had just looked at the wall in the days before and I sure didn't see an empty hook then.

So when I saw it, witnesses said I turned white in shock. I asked my mother if she had moved something...was there something I should know because there was something missing, and she said there was not an empty hook earlier.

Liz asked me what was missing and I mistakenly told her it was a Hinky Dinks ashtray, because that is what was on the hook for years. When I was gifted a replica menu a few months ago we moved the ashtray and the menu around the corner. I know we stuck something there that did not go with Trader Vic's just to fill the hole, and it irritated me because it did not match the grouping.

There is an item I still cannot locate. I asked others to please help me locate that item and none could..it still has not turned up.

Liz took control, she saw I was wandering around in shock saying "I don't know what to do.." and my mom gave the ok to ask people to leave as I was uncomfortable. By the time people were leaving, I realized there were some that had come and gone...people I didn't know, but that probably doesn't even matter..

Unfortunately something happened. It is not the first time it's happened (but not with tiki people) and I've had trivial decorations removed and display mugs broken. Silly stuff. I pretty much know who did it before, and she is a known clepto, and will steal random stuff just because she can. Everyone in that scene knows it. I just stopped inviting that group to my house.

Unfortunately people are very upset with me over the whole thing. If you want to ban me, go right ahead. As you can see I've been on TC since it came over from Yahoo Groups, and nobody has ever had trouble with me. I try to keep to myself and rarely post. There is a lot of drama on this board and I don't want to be a part of it. And I don't want the incident on Saturday to become another big TC drama blowout.

I thank you all for coming to my house, and I'm glad you enjoyed the crawl despite the issue on Saturday. I will not be hosting again, and may not even attend future events if this drama and the blacklisting continues. It's silly. I did not set anyone up, I have no idea if the item was stolen, broken and stashed, or someone knocked it off the wall and is embarrassed and figures I'll find it later (that's what I'm hoping!!) My mom rushed after people to ask them to come back because she didn't want the party to be over..she wanted everyone to have a good time, despite the missing item. I don't know why she said nothing was stolen..maybe because it's actually missing...maybe it really is stashed behind something else because the hanger broke and someone couldn't put it back. I saw several things get broken over the weekend and get set other places. Maybe that's what happened. Hopefully I'll know soon, for my own peace of mind.

Sorry you are all so upset with me..I was very upset that I went to so much trouble to try to make everything perfect and something ruined it. Tiki people in general are great people and it was pretty messed up.

Hopefully you will all go back to remembering the good things about our crawl and posting your awesome pictures. Be friends. Keep good mana flowing. Leave the drama alone.

Aloha,

Tacky Tiki

MN

Lisa and I want to say thank you to everyone who opened their homes for this event. We both enjoyed the opportunity to meet new people and enjoy your wonderful collections. The organizers and hosts went to a lot of trouble to make the event memorable. Thanks to everyone who bought something from me at the garage sale. My wife thanks you. Looking forward to next years event. Mahalo.
Moai Nui

[ Edited by: Moai Nui 2011-10-12 08:28 ]

Hi Tacky Tiki, very sorry for your loss. We had a wonderful time at your home. I'm just super sad that it won't happen again next year. I could spend days in your home looking at walls and never be bored. Our friends and Dan also had a wonderful time.

You are not banned and your mom is not banned. That could never happen because we are all one big dysfunctional family that will always stick together. We look forward to seeing you at Tiki Tuesday in November.

Let's get past everything. I think we all need a group hug. See you all there, Wendy

ps all attendees are invited to be part of the family

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2011-11-08 07:18 ]

C

Well said Dan, I second that and look forward to more adventures with you guys soon.

cdtiki

I'm with Barbara, lets erase all but the fun crawl topics. It's easy to do so please get it done.

Dan and I had a wonderful time at every single home on the crawl. We are looking forward to next year and volunteer to open our home on either Saturday or Sunday at 10 am depending on our having a one or two day party. We hope we see the same group of people attend again. We enjoyed making new friends and hanging out with our Sacramento Ohana.

It's all of you that have inspired me to make ceramics. I will forever be grateful. Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2011-10-12 23:18 ]

Then why did she say there was something missing when she saw the hook? And where is my missing item?

I refuse to discuss this anymore. I have been accused of trying to frame someone by slipping something into their purse. That is something I never did. I don't know where these crazy ideas came from. But, bottom line, if a guest in my house accuses me of trying to frame them, then they can just leave. That is basically what caused us to just shut it down. The accusations that I was going through purses and slipping 'stolen' items into them to try to frame people. Really? I don't think so.

But...since that is the juicy gossip people would like to believe, go right ahead.

No more PMs folks. Leave me alone. I'm tired of this drama, I'm tired of being accused of things after I opened my home to people. Nice payback folks.

If this craziness continues I hope someone will have this thread locked. Go back to being friends. Go back to the good part of the crawl and stop emailing me, pm-ing me, etc. I don't need the nastiness in my life.

I was hoping once this settled down we would see more pictures...I don't want to discourage anyone else who attended from posting pictures or comments on this thread.

I really hope to see this event continue on in the future. This has been such a positive way for our Ohana to share their passion for tiki and although I have not heard of anyone taking this over, I hope someone will take this to the next great level. I know we have an amazing and dedicated group here in Sacramento and I appreciate all you do and all you have done to support this event.

Please continue our celebration...

PTD

R

On 2011-10-10 19:23, MadDogMike wrote:

Bourbon Date Bacon Pecan pie!

[ Edited by: rugbymatt 2011-11-04 15:28 ]

Welcome home Matt - we missed you on Tuesday!

R

On 2011-11-04 17:08, The Blue Kahuna wrote:
Welcome home Matt - we missed you on Tuesday!

Thanks, the Orient was fun but it's geat to be back. Heading to SoCal this weekend though.

You asked for pics Duane. Here are some taken at my place. FYI, I have volunteered to help plan next year's event.

Darilyn

Terrific photos, thank you for sharing. We should all go to Vamps home for the planning stages. This event was the best ever this year. I'm looking forward to our 2012 event. Wendy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 608 replies