Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

New stuff added!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 1,965 replies

T

Superb. Also, I'm a fan of very little sanding!

I carved this for the Moai Derived show at Kreepy Tiki. I felt bad that none of my submissions were Maois, so I knocked this out in a few hours Chainsaw - chisels - angle grinder. Its currently fuzzy and extremely wet. About 24" tall.

Nice one Bruddah

P

nice dude.. I like it.

H

I like it too.

D

Really nice. I really dig the ears...

T

That's niiiiiiiice. It must be dry now??

B

Nice one for a quickie Tom.

Here's a small Basswood Ku.

C
cy posted on Fri, Feb 20, 2015 8:41 AM

I don't know how you carve so small Aloha, my hand would be all bandaged and bleeding. Excellent work as always!!

N

nice work !!!

T

ditto what cy said! very cool little carve.

WillCarve has been wanting me to attempt carving a coconut for a while. Last night my daughter brings me one and asks if I can carve coconuts. She had no idea about Will's request - so this pushed me over the edge. I broke out a fresh Xacto blade and dove in. Maybe one hour of "experimenting" produced this (still has water sloshing around inside)...

While I had my knives out, I decided to finish up this guy.

N

Awesome I love Tang

H

I love carved coconuts, would be interesting to see how it turns out. I also like your little fellow.

A revisited carving. Started over by removing all of the original carving.

N

Well excuse me, Oh dear. your good

On 2015-02-25 08:09, AlohaStation wrote:
WillCarve has been wanting me to attempt carving a coconut for a while. Last night my daughter brings me one and asks if I can carve coconuts. She had no idea about Will's request - so this pushed me over the edge. I broke out a fresh Xacto blade and dove in. Maybe one hour of "experimenting" produced this (still has water sloshing around inside)...

While I had my knives out, I decided to finish up this guy.

Nice cuttin mang!!

Just saw your 8ft rootball. Wow!!

On 2015-03-20 09:12, AlohaTexasTikiCo wrote:
Just saw your 8ft rootball. Wow!!

If you are ever in Ft. Lauderdale, you can visit him at Kreepy Tiki - Tattoos and Bar!

Love your work! love your style! I like the picture of you taking a dip in the pool I am sure you will be doing alot of that ITS HOT!!!!

These guys are almost ready to be finished.

Very Cool!

C

Looking nice so far....I like the open headdress on the fella on the right. Anxious to see the finished products.

These two are almost done. I spent about as much time finishing as I did carving. Get up close and you can see the lack of refinement.

C
cy posted on Fri, May 22, 2015 7:57 AM

Those two are cool Tom, nice!

This guy has been done and drying for a couple of months. This past weekend I decided to finish him up. 95% done - still needs some accents.

WC

Classic.

T

that guy is killer

Getting some pendants done.

A
amate posted on Tue, Jun 9, 2015 10:08 AM

Looks as if you are really gearing up for the show. A little something for everyone in all size ranges.
Nice work!
What are the pendants made out of?

They are cast resin from wood originals. Some of these are several years old - every year I add one or two new ones to the collection. Can you pick out the new ones?

A new frond - done for an art swap with a friend. Its about 24" long.

Wicked cool Tom!

Getting back to the roots. This is a recently finished commission. Pendant carved in Walnut from a previous design. No sand paper was used on this pendant!

Don't ask me why or how, but WillCarve and I were commissioned by two separate people to make muddlers at the same time. He's faster than me - sometimes - and finished his first. First photo of 3 muddlers (they are much further along, but I won't show the finals till they are presented).

[ Edited by: AlohaStation 2015-08-18 10:32 ]

G
GROG posted on Tue, Aug 18, 2015 11:53 AM

On 2015-08-18 10:27, AlohaStation wrote:
Getting back to (they are much further along, but I won't show the finals till they are presented).

GROG has seen the finished muddlers. GROG wondering who your client was? OMG!

G
GROG posted on Tue, Aug 18, 2015 11:56 AM

On 2015-06-09 10:08, amate wrote:
A little something for everyone in all size ranges.

[ Edited by: GROG 2015-08-18 11:57 ]

My wife's company was sponsoring a charity pinewood derby. She approached me the night before and asked for some help decorating her car. Here's the result of one hour carving and 10 minutes finishing. The car did not win the race (it was too light and I didn't have a scale), that didn't matter as it was for charity. I'm still waiting for the results of the "best decorated" prize.

It gets my vote!

H

I would vote for the best.

WC

That thing looks like it goes 200 MPH.

T

Nice. An all-tiki pine derby race would be really cool!

UPDATE: It did not win best decorated. Apparently, they drew names out of a hat. The winning car was painted by a 3rd grader.

A commissioned muddler in progress. Carved in Mahogany.

Smooth.

Finished muddler. carved in Mahogany and finished with Mineral Oil (food safe). The oil really brought out the color of the wood. Before finishing it was hard to distinguish if this was mahogany - now, there's no doubt!

H

Piece of art.

My latest WIP. Carved in mahogany

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 1965 replies