Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Benzart 's, Last, most recent thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,495 replies

B

No Tikis at all TGap. When I saw this tiki bar, I thought for Sure they would have tikis but none were to be found.
This was on Grand Turks Island of the Turks and Caicos chain down south of the Bahamas.
Then I got excited thinking that I had spotted Crazy Al standing over by the lighthouse
But as I got closer I could see it was only a resin copy of C'Al himself and a pretty good one too.

I just Had to have a heart to heart talk with him any way, although he didn't seem too interested.

Back to the docks and,,,,,MargueritaVille??? Yes folks, JB himself has been here and this explains why there are NO Tikis, Only parrots and Pirates.

Then we spotted this Tiki Boat:

But it had NO Tikis either :( .
Other than That, we had Loads of fun.
More later!

Obviously, those tiki bar guys down there never read the "untiki" thread here before. Bet they never heard of the BOT either...

Here's where the pirate came from:

http://www.bigstuff.biz/gallery/TIKI-BAR

I like the pirate babes the best...

Cannot stand up straight? Thought you'd figure out how to carve lying down by now.
Get better, and then get to work! We missed you...
Buzzy Out!

H
hewey posted on Mon, Apr 16, 2007 7:50 PM

Pirates are still cool, but tikis are cooler :D

Rest up Benz, and then get carving!

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Apr 18, 2007 1:25 AM

On 2007-03-15 06:54, Benzart wrote:

Having now spent a good few hours admiring, fondling and generally drooling over this carving in the real world, I've got to say that photos on a computer screen don't come close to doing this piece justice. It really has a personality and presence that belie its small stature.

H

That´s such a awesome work. A masterpiece! It´s great to watch that pictures again and again and again.

M

Welcome back Ben! Hope your time away was was relaxing. I am glad you captured C'Al's attention long enough to have your chat! Bet that felt good!

We can send you some steel drum muzak CDs if you are Jonzin for some!

Mahalo

McTiki

H

Ben I hope you are feeling better. Nice to see you are back. Hope you had a lot of fun on your vacation. Now start carving anything we don't care what!

C

No Tikis at a Tiki island? mmm...

are there supposed to be tikis in the Bahamas?.....well...what am i saying. It would make more sense then to have tikis up here in Massachusetts.

On 2007-04-18 01:25, Paipo wrote:
Having now spent a good few hours admiring, fondling and generally drooling over this carving in the real world, I've got to say that photos on a computer screen don't come close to doing this piece justice. It really has a personality and presence that belie its small stature.

*Dont worry BenZ; I eventually managed to wipe the drool and sticky fingerprints off once he'd gone! :lol: -I have been meaning to ask; what would you advise to best take care of him? (the MMMoai, not Paip!) He is kept out of direct sunlight & at a child-proof hight but I love him too much to keep him encased behind glass, etc. Should I oil or wax? How often & what is the best product you would recommend? -He is much admired; even 'non-tiki' folk seem to be mesmerised and realise there is something special about him.

Sorry to hear of the Tiki-less Tiki Bars/boats/restaurants! Whats that about? Surely they once contained Tiki..?

Tama :)

B
Bete posted on Thu, Apr 19, 2007 3:05 PM

Ben, glad you had fun on your trip. Cool pirate (pirates are cool).

That piece you did for Tama has so much going on, really inspired. Is some kava-kava creeping into that Maori Moai?

[ Edited by: sneakytiki 2007-04-28 20:10 ]

B

Wow I have a LOT of Catching up to do. I have been a bit under the weather with a nasty cold or the flu since coming back from the short trip. I guess we were gone just long enough to catch this crud what ever it is! Hopefully I can be back to work next week.
Buzzy thanks and thanks for the link too. Cool stuff there.

Hewey, thanks, I will rest up a few more days I hope!

Paipo, I'm Really glad you enjoyed your time with the MMMoai, he holds many messages for you too and I'm sure you will find them in time. I personally think he is one of my best pieces ever and I'm Happy that Tama is sharing him with you.

Thanks for the kind words HaiKai, glad you liked him.

Thanks McTiki, Yeah, I could use some steel drum stuff. It was really uncanny talking to C'Al over there, really felt strange knowing it wasn't him but it was!?

HIltiki, finally this afternoon I'm beginning to feel better. This morning was the worst I felt then the doc fixed me up I hope! SOON!

Thats right Clarita, although I didn't follow the boat ti Tiki Island so I Don't know that they didn't have tikis There. Thanks.

PockyTiki, no they don't Have to have tikis--- but when you have a giant grass roofed open Bar that has a giant Neon sign Proclaiming it a Tiki Bar, then I sorta expected to see SOME semblance of tiki there, Anything would do. But No, Not the first one?.

Hey Tama, it sounds like you and Paipo really had a real fun get together, I'm glad you were able to clean your guy up (not Paips), believe me he is already used to being fondled and manhandled. I buffed him out with beezwax but you can use Any kind of wax on him. Clear shoe polish, Auto wax, furniture wax, Pledge works great. Just let me know how he's doing once in awhile,,sniff!
Thanks

Bete, Thanks, I love Pirates too and there were Many I didn't get pic's of over there. they kinda got Old after awhile.

Thanks Sneaky, Yea he definitely looks at you funny in different languages. Glad you like him.

B

Here is the beginning of the dancing happy tiki .

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Apr 25, 2007 5:02 PM

Amazing, simply amazing. But wait.....is he throwing us the "bird"?

-G

M

Ben's kids flip people off!

You know?.......I'm ok with it!

Mahalo

McTiki

B

It's going to be wonderful, Ben.

I think 'Joyous' is the word! I can see he will look fantastic next to his Vahine. The energy of the pair is incredible! Bravo; cant wait to see them completed.

Tama :)

On 2007-03-09 22:09, flynny wrote:
Beautiful Moko work, he's looking sweeter than ever.
Regards
Flynny

The Moko work sure is spectacular Ben. Lookee what I found on page1 of my new/2nd hand book, 'The Art of Tahiti' by T.Barrow...

The Maori-Moko'ed-Moai also has Rarotongan/Cook Isld influence! Those Ancients really took over on this one & wrapped the whole Pacific in there! :lol: :wink: I still take daily joy in him & know he has much to teach me yet! In fact Ive looked at him so much I reckon I could tackle a BenZified-Moai myself! (boasts the young fool!) :lol: er, not this week though...

-Before I forget; the tattooed chief is 'Te Po' (Te Pou).

Tama :) :) :)

HOK

Looks like they're just jumping with joy :)
Aloha

B

GMAN, of course he is flipping you all off! NOT. it would seem so though. THANKS

Thanks McTiki I'm glad you approve. One of theze dayz I'll get to your store, gimme directions or a Map?

Thanks Benjamin, I appreciate your kind words!

Thanks Tama, it really is a challenge to create a feeling of Dancing, theres a Lot more to it than I originally thought.
WOW, Te Po himself, What a find! Thanks So much for posting him here as Now it seems to make more sense and the extra time it took me to do the MMMoai is closer to being explained. The Ancients Love having fun too! And it seems they had their way with me and your carving. It would seem I Still have much to learn from him Too..Thanks.

Thanks House of KU, What a great picture of some great carvings. I Really wish I had seen that Before I spent Hours trying to relate half that movement in my pieces. However it will Still help. Thanks SO Much.

More later today. Thanks everyone for your support and inspiration!

Man, Ben..that hula maiden is superb. I need to look around here more!

Way Kewl! Is that dancing F.U. Moai a different stone?

very nice or in my language rete goed...

I hope some day I reach that level..

greetz limo

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Apr 26, 2007 2:06 PM

Great animation in him already Benz, he looks like the life of the party even in the roughout. He's got my dance moves down too (we call that the T-Rex round here!)
Spooky coincidence time - I found a pic of Te Po a week or two back just after visiting Tama and forgot to post it, but I also noticed the similarities straight away...eerie! I wonder what culture we'll discover next in Tama's moai? Hmmmmm?
Here's a slightly bigger/higher res version of the engraving Tama posted:

B

Thanks BK, Occasionally you might find something interesting over here.

Big Hodad-dy Reid, Thanks Much, no, it's the same stone from the same vendor. looks closer with the oil on it this time

MAILMAN 76, Thanks for the kind words, I have been practicing for 20+ some odd years to get to where I'm at and I figure another 20 years will make me as good as I should be already! :) :) :)
Thanks Paipo, You do the REX Too? Man YOU Are Talented.. Thanks for the kind words and the larger Awesome picture. That guy is a well rounded man from Everywhere it seems.

Here is Todays update.

Thanks for stopping by!

H

It is our pleasure to stop by everytime Ben.

B

If you post pix each minute, i'll stop each minute too ! :wink:

T
Tipua posted on Fri, Apr 27, 2007 2:09 AM

How is it that I'm blown away EVERY time I see one of your works of art, Benz?
I mean your new tiki-boogeyman (boogey as in dancing) isn't even finished and I'm already impressed!
I really like where this haka-tiki is headed.
Shake what your carver gave you, man!

Ahhhh yes, the oiling makes a big difference. He's not even a moai either is he? Or is he? IIIIIIIIIIII gotta a lot to learn about classification of these guys.

I know you use water as you're carving, but do you generally oil as you go as well?

Wow Ben, what a happy jade couple! I would be very curious to what the rest of the cake will look like.

J

You make it look so easy. That is incredible. Wow.

It is nice to see you carving and seeing frequent posts again.

JP

B

Whoa....

This guy is going to be quite the deal Master Benz!

I can see that this fella ain't going to be a walk in the park...the rough cuts in this tight relief are awesome. The dancer starts to emerge...the stone has movement. I can't wait for the next installment of pics!

PS. A bigger WHOA Ben. I woke up this morning and grabbed a cup of coffee, turned on the computer, jumped to the end your thread and responded to the image that was floating through my head all day yesterday...low and behold...today this dancer looks like a million bucks! You sure you don't carve quarters for the US Mint?

Schooled by the finest.....Capt. K and Master G

[ Edited by: Babalu 2007-04-27 06:54 ]

B

Thanks Hiltiki, I appreciate your visits and kind words.

Benella, I Might try you out on that though it would mean More work and I'm basically Lazy so I won't do it but Thanks . I'll try to post more for you except for today there won't be any updates.

Thanks Tipua. that is a serious question I Know not the answer to, maybe it is that you are easily impressed? I'm just listening to some OLD Country tunes and Rockin' along while I'm carving so I guess this guy must be listening too. Thanks for the kind words!

Big Hodad-dy Reid, Thanks, the oil is just so you can see the stone better. I'll usually water for pictures and he is carved under running water but I don't usually start oiling until I'm in the finishing stages.

Yes Finky, I'd Love to see a picture of the cake too and If I get one I will post it for sure. Thanks.

Thanks Johnny, I appreciate the comps and I'm Happy to be carving and posting again.

Thanks Babalu, No he isn't a walk in the park, he's Dancing through the park and I Have to keep up with him or he'll lose me. He's got me worn down too much to carve any quarters today! Like those guys would even let me in the door! Thanks again!

Ben, wonderful stuff, I am a pretty simple guy so I can't really add anything to
what peeps have already said, but I just wanna add a big ole' ATTABOY.
A former Wisconsin guy who recently moved to Florida sez he has seen some
"wood work" too, is there any truth in that?

B
Bete posted on Fri, Apr 27, 2007 11:05 AM

That happy dancing tiki ROCKS!!!!!

B

On 2007-04-27 09:31, Benzart wrote:

Benella, I Might try you out on that though it would mean More work and I'm basically Lazy so I won't do it but Thanks . I'll try to post more for you except for today there won't be any updates.

That was a joke for posting each minute but I often stop on your work: it has something to see with inspiration, smile on my face ... :wink:

we all live in a yellow submarine (yellow submarine, yellow submarine).

[ Edited by: benella 2007-04-28 01:50 ]

T

Looking really great there Ben - the jade work is very nice and detailed.
You must do this carving stuff full time, right? :wink:

happy dancers, I love it!

Amy

T
Tipua posted on Sun, Apr 29, 2007 8:21 PM

On 2007-04-27 09:31, Benzart wrote:

Thanks Tipua. that is a serious question I Know not the answer to, maybe it is that you are easily impressed? I'm just listening to some OLD Country tunes and Rockin' along while I'm carving so I guess this guy must be listening too. Thanks for the kind words!

I beg to differ Benz! I'm actually quite picky when it comes to art. I really only like stuff that not only looks cool, but a lot of talent was needed to produce it, and YOUR stuff definately has got it!
I can't wait to see how Haka-Tiki turns out!

C

What a cute couple!!

T

On 2006-07-18 17:00, Benzart wrote:
Why, What is that he is Sitting On? Wow, it is the wooden sail of (I Think) a Witco Sailing Ship?

Hey! Is that Witco piece still in your garage?

B

Big Mahalos to Everyone for the props and kind words, Much appreciated.
T-Gap, No, the Witco is in Finky's Garage now!
Here is the latest update. As you can see I haven't been very busy but I gotta get my butt in Gear and finish this guy.

G
GMAN posted on Fri, May 4, 2007 5:48 PM

He looks great Ben! No worries!!! Happy Happy!!!

-G

:D :D :D - What a happy groom!

Tama

B

Super carving, Ben.
:) :) :)

B
Babalu posted on Sat, May 5, 2007 7:03 AM

Morning Ben,

He's very tight...lot's of movement in the stone! I would imagine that a little perspiration has been bulleted out while maneuvering around those little fingers.

I think that this guy is totally worthy of a stadium wave...

Wait, wait...here it comes...push back chair from computer...sit up straight...lifting arms over head in a graceful swooping movement...

WAVE!

keeps the wave going

WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1495 replies