Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Benzart 's, Last, most recent thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,495 replies

J

Terrific work areas, I don't know how you keep them so clean, even after I clean they are still not that neat. The Moai look fantastic, the way you make them look so increadibly life like-- spooky.

I just signed up for Coon-tiki II. Can't wait! I've seen some of your works of art in person before and they are wonderful, but it will be nice to see them being created.

ben i am always watching awesome work my friend

B

Hey GMAN, No, I'm Not working Saturday, I'm driving down to Hukilau and to Aloha Stations house to check out his Stuff. I'm not working Sunday either, I'll be recovering from Saturday. I'll be working Monday though, Thanks for helping me schedule stuff right!

Thanks Tikisgrl, I appreciate the kind words and I am Happy to have you stop by Anytime. It's OK G, I Understand.

Conga, It's not like I have to drive you far :), at least if we go in your Caddy, we'll go in style!. Its OK about Coon Tiki, I understand. You don't need to be more crazy anyway and you COULD Do a Moai any time you decided to without my help. Try it you'll like it
I'll finish your payment soon.

Johnny, Thanks for the sign up, Glad to see you there. It's not like I keep my shop that clean, only when I get tired of looking for tools in the piles of stuff I leave laying around or about every 60 days which ever comes first, then I clean and organize again.
I love giving my pieces a bit of life, I love the reactions from the people who see them. Thanks. That Gman Pig hammer is a Sweet one!

Marcus, come around Any time, glad you approve. Thanks

B

Finished up the rescued Maori pendant today except for a few more coats of finish and a cord. Conga, what size cord do you require?
Here is the latest:

AND Here is a little Sumpthin' I brought back from Hukilau!

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jun 19, 2007 5:41 PM

That little rescue Maori looks awesome. Conga you dogg! Beautiful work Ben. I'm glad he finally got out of the box....

-G

That mask is awesome! Hard to believe at one point you weren't happy with it. I saw it before it was done and thought it looked great - WOW!

The little guy looks like he's dancing with Clarita's candle - excellent. Enjoy!!

B

WOW super work on the maori head pendant, Ben.

And congrats for this super aloha station's piece you've brought back, I love it.

Ben.

Love those little Maori fellas Ben...he looks ready to offer lots of protection.
As for the cord...let's go just a tad on the long side...I'm gonna get a swelled head
wearing that thing. Thanks.

benz, you are hero of the day for such a daring rescue. :D the maori looks superb. i really dig the soulful look on the new moai, too. alohastation's cannibal looks happy happy happy on your shelf. the lil' fella has a great shape and expression.

[ Edited by: kingstiedye 2007-06-21 17:34 ]

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jun 21, 2007 8:37 PM

The moai and the NZ moari pieces are both typical high quality Benz :D

Benz. I am gobsmacked.

That Little Maori warrior is just so supurb! I LOVE IT!

Awesome. My turn to drool. :)

KS

On 2007-06-14 19:08, Benzart wrote:

Now while you guys are slobbering spit all over yourselves ( I have my OWN to contend with) I'll get on with posting updates to the Maori/Moai I have been trying to work on in this squeaky clean garage. It's hard but somebody has to do it!

--

Far out! Where have I been?? So good to see you up to usual magic. I thought I saw a family resemblance to this latest Moai - He's the spitting image of his brother. :lol: The wee rescued Warrior is a cracker too. Spooky

Nice score with the Aloha-Skull Crusher too. He's a unique wee guy, full of character.

Keep it up.

Tama :)

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Jun 22, 2007 4:33 AM

Yeah I'm falling behind too. Too much good stuff being posted to keep track of these days...
I'm trying to work out the scale of that little tattoed head (which is awesome of course) by looking at your fingers. A couple of inches long perhaps? How on earth do you do the teeth?
Nice to see you're adding to your collection too. AS's pieces look great no matter which way you turn/display them. I just moved my cannibal out to the shed, and it's the only thing in there I've quakeproofed!

B

GMAN, Thanks. Conga may be a dog, but he'll be a dog wearing a Benzart Maori pendant around his neck!
I'm Sure that the little Maori guy was Really stoked to get of of the "Box of 80" too. Life in there is pretty miserable, dusty, forgotten and malformed, those guys are in great need. I guess I will have to plan to rescue one a month or something like that.

Aloha, Thanks and the Maori thanks you too. I wasn't going to mention the affair your ddancing cannibal is having with Claritas candle but I guess it's pretty difficult to conceal.

Thanks Ben, I'm Really Happy with Both Pieces!

Thanks Conga, I think your head is already swelled from all the comps you've been getting on you're works there. Plenny protection on the way!

Bullet, Thanks and Welcome, haven't seen you 'round here or awhile. The Rescue was pretty amazing in how it came out although I'm Sure he hated to leave his friends behind (NOT!). Some of the things in that box were "Flubbs" which I didn't have the skill or patience to fix or continue with at the time. I see them now in a different light and there are some nice diamonds there, Waiting to be polished and cleaned up. Yes, Aloha's dancing Cannibal has made a home here already and he fits in Perfect Thanks for stopping by!

Thanks KS, I appreciate the kind words. The Mini Maori will be happy to hear them.
"[Q] From W S McCollom: “I was looking at a UK magazine and ran across gobsmack. What can you tell me about this term?”

[A] It’s a fairly recent British slang term: the first recorded use is only in the eighties, though verbal use must surely go back further. The usual form is gobsmacked, though gobstruck is also found. It’s a combination of gob, mouth, and smacked. It means “utterly astonished, astounded”. It’s much stronger than just being surprised; it’s used for something that leaves you speechless, or otherwise stops you dead in your tracks. It suggests that something is as surprising as being suddenly hit in the face. It comes from northern dialect, most probably popularised through television programmes set in Liverpool, where it was common. It’s an obvious derivation of an existing term, since gob, originally from Scotland and the north of England, has been a dialect and slang term for the mouth for four hundred years (often in insulting phrases like “shut your gob!” to tell somebody to be quiet). It possibly goes back to the Scottish Gaelic word meaning a beak or a mouth, which has also bequeathed us the verb to gob, meaning to spit. Another form of the word is gab, from which we get gift of the gab."
So Thanks for that as I have been feeling a Lot of that recently with the art that is popping up on My Space. Thanks again

Thanks and Welcome Tama the Terrible. :) :) :)
QUOTE "Far out! Where have I been?? " from Tama. I don't know where you've been either but I Do know that you have been busy. I'm Sure one of these days you will post a pile of pictures that will knock us all off our feet and disrupt our hearts and boggle our brains. I Know you are working on some cool stuff. So I'll be patient but I won't be quiet. OK, I'll go to the Back of the class and sit in the corner, but OK, OK, I'll Shut UP!
Thanks TAMA HA!

Paipo Thanks. He's actually pretty big for a pendant. at 3 1/2" tall and 2" wide there is Way more room than I am used to with wood. The teeth and eyes as well as most of the moko were all done with my Trusty Hook Knife. The wood is "Chocolate" Maple and when you sand or grind it the dust is almost Black, explain that??
Yes, I'm Super Happy with my AS Cannibal and he Really loves being next to Claritas candle, and I think He Lites Her FIRE!

Thanks again Everyone, this is the Best way to start of the new Day! Happeee

B

Well I didn't get to try out all the bands on all the media, I started on a Jade piece and never got off it since it was going so well. The most difficult was drilling a hole through his head. I went from a 100 grit large diamond burr right to the 400 grit diamond 1/4"flex band then to the 1/2" diamond flex band. I had to use finer burs around the nose and eye but between the flex bands and the rubber abraisives I did no hand sanding and I spent 5 hours on it. Looking at the close up pictures, there are a few marks to get rid of and he's done. The flex bands really were a pleasure to work with.

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Jun 22, 2007 2:51 PM

Dang! That is a pretty pice of jade. You freaking kill me man. Five hours huh? Sheeot. You've probably already sanded those lines off of him....haven't you?

-G

B

Thanks G, No I'm done for the day, Maybe tomorrow.
:)

Very Nice Benz, and to think I got 5 hours in and it still looks all tooled :)

I just love looking at your stuff. What do you mean no more till tomorro? Its still daylight here! :)

You did that in 5 hours!!?? What am I doing wrong? Perhaps you should come over here and teach us a thing or two. :wink:

Nice use of the colour change Ben. Id be a little wary of putting my holes through that oxidised stone though; it doesn't have quite the same strength as the more crystalline stone.
I like the way you've left a natural/organic edge at the bottom; a nice subtle 'truth to materials' touch. Sometimes a flaw or natural edge/surface can be deliberately left in as a positive confirmation of the material. A perfect piece of jade can easily be misidentified as plastic or glass, etc.

Im still amazed at how fast you can get a form shaped out! Well done.

B

Thanks KS, Yes, and to Think there's still tool marks, Darn! I'll promise to do better next time. Still day lite hey, now if I lived half-way in between then I could work in the garage in the morning and then the back patio in the other morning. Who needs sleep anyway.

Tama, Thanks, Yes 5 hours but I have to admit the stone already had the basic shape so I didn't need to Cut it out first. The Difference was the new diamond flex bands, going from the 100 grit burs to the 200 grit flex band then to the 400 band. After that I used the abrasive rubber points to get into the tight areas.
Once the bands edges get "rounded over" they won't leave those "tool marks". This piece did not require very much carving for some reason it just went together very quickly. I can normally work 3 to 4 hours so I'll pay today but I got caught up in the crescendo of the piece and couldn't stop. I'm Still amazed at how the bands felt so smooth and cushioned and comfortable to use. I will definitely be getting all the sizes they have available. You can get them from your Red Diamond (I think?) dealer there but their prices are about 3 times more. The rubber mandrels are available in the 3/32 size which is what you need for your handpiece.

Thanks for all the kind words, They keep me going!

Way to keep us wannabes stoked with inspiration!

C

The jade moai is already looking so good!!

I have a question.... A cannibal tiki, eats humans or other tikis? hmmm? hmmm?

I hope yours like his meals blue, more than orange... just in case, keep him well fed please...Now I don't know if he is dancing or just happy to have dinner...hahaha! :D

F

Benz
The Moai is superb, only 5 hours, those bands must be pretty good, I have looked and there is nothing like them here in the UK. What size shaft dia is the rubber mandrel they fit on??

Were the photos taken wet or is that the finish you achieved with just the bands.

Great Stuff
Flynny

B

Thanks Raffer, Nice to see you around again! :) :) :)

Clarita thanks, You have no fear. While cannibal tikis eat other tikis, this guy is given a steady diet of grilled chicken and hr likes it way more than Orange tiki. Thanks again!

Flynny, Thanks, he's a bit better now though. I will ask the main company if there are any UK dealers. The rubber mandrels are 1/2 and 1/4 inch which should be standard sizes.
These shotsn were taken with no oil but with wax. After the 400 grit band I used a 2400 grit diamond past on a small felt wheel then buffed it out with a 6 inch cotton wheel with Flexcut Gold polishing compound, then beeswax for the finish. However I picked up some small metal or diamond specks on the initial buff and didn't notice them until the camera caught them. I'm really getting blind.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jun 26, 2007 4:14 PM

TIGHT!

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Jun 26, 2007 6:47 PM

Crisp edges and satiny smooth surfaces. Nice finish Benz!

B

Love those pix...... and the moai too, of course !
:) :) :)

Ben, Your carvings are looking incredable as they always do my friend thanks for keeping us inspired and sharing your incredable talent with us all,Aloha your friend , jimmy mooney

J

Again, some nice perfection coming from South Florida. Your work is always an inspiration. So those diamond flex bands get a thumbs up? I went to the site and almost ordered a bunch, but thought I would wait for your review.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jun 27, 2007 8:17 PM

Nice work mate, the jade Moai looks sensational :D

kickin work, Benz! you don't really ever take a break, do you?the finished maori looks wonderful, but is that the one you had at the huk? i must have been still hungover, didn't pay enough attention. love the moai, too. keep em comin! cheers!

I'm sorry it's been so long since I've commented on the superior work here! The Moai is crisp and delicious! Looks like a real "gem"!
Nice work Benz.

B

Man I gotta get back here more often. My computer has been acting up but I think I finally have it under control now.
GMAN First as usual, Thanks for always being there!

Paipo thanks, the diamond flex bands really did help as did the diamond paste.

Thanks fro the kind words Ben, you have the best name out there btw.

JimmyM, thanks for stopping by. Haven't seen you around in awhile,All OK?

Thanks JP, Yes those bands get a both thumbs up from me, they really make a difference. Glad you're liking what you see here.

Hewey thanks a bunch. He's an Odd looking Ruffian for sure with that small head and big jaw, but he Just fit the shape of the stone. Think he will go ti the marketplace soon.

Hey Greentikipat, thanks. Yeah, he is the the guy I had at Hukilau,. He Does look different just a bit?

SneakyTiki, Thanks for coming back around, it hasn't been That long has it? This Moai IS a real gem or might be if someone good carved it. Thanks.

Yes the Moai Thug is going to the Tiki Marketplace. Sounds like a prison sentence just a bit.

benz, very sweet!

Amy

Jade Moai is splendid! just the right mix of attitude and realism! Perfect is the word that I use most when describing your work to people! Great Hukilau find,by the way...love that cute face,pudgy body, and quirky angle! He fits in perfectly with Clarita's candle! HAPPYHAPPYHAPPY are those three!

B

Thanks Amy, You are too!

LLT, Thanks, Yes that Huki find was sweet. I have been lusting after that piece since he was just a branch and he has come a Long way.
Here's the last pix of that Jade Moai with the cord and the toggle. Also another one I started today.

F

Awsome piece Ben. He even looks better with the chord. Your work has so much life and movement. You make it looks so effortless, even though I know it's not.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jul 3, 2007 1:04 PM

Awwww man, that finished guy just takes the cake! I likee that cordage! What a package. You said Conga was paying and I was wearing, right? You know where to send it..... :wink:

Are you really gonna put all those lines on this new guy? Sheot!

-G

KK

WOW BEN!
Jeez... I go away for awhile and now everyone is a master (youve alwyas been in my eyes Benz). Good to see the multi- media kine work Benz.. Wood, stone, bone...Whats next for you!!!

Again, wow bruddah Ben. Im amazed.

On 2007-07-03 13:04, GMAN wrote:
Awwww man, that finished guy just takes the cake! I likee that cordage! What a package. You said Conga was paying and I was wearing, right? You know where to send it..... :wink:

Are you really gonna put all those lines on this new guy? Sheot!

-G

nice try g! but moai's coming this way. yeah, i can't wait to see all the lines carved on the new guy.

Nice job Ben...nice try GMan....nice grab Kingstiedye!
GMan...I would love to own this one too but I DO have Ben's Maori pendant...proud to
finally own a Benzart. I have heard rumors that something else is in the works for old
Conga...right Ben? Conga very patient!

B

Thanks Fink, Yes the cord Does dress him up a bit doesn't it? Thanks

GMAN, Thank you too, What lines, I don't see any lines. You want Me to put Lines on that guy? I DID, in pencil and that may be as far as they go. My Hook knife won't cut the Jade very well so I don't know what you're talking about. Lines?. Yeah right!

Thanks Kaha Bro, Glad to have you back cruising these pages again too. Stick around, there's Always stuff happening around here!

Thanks Bullet, appreciate the kind words and as I said earlier,, What Lines? :) :) :)

Thanks too Conga, You did say "Old Conga" didn't you? Yes another Conga piece is in the works, and at least you have the Little guy to tide you over for awhile.

Happy Fourth to everyone out there. The Fireworks are rocking the houses on my block, they're Everywhere, freaking out our 4 dogz, they don't like them at all.
I'll have More progress shots tomorrow.
Cheers

B

Well this thread is about to turn 100 pages soon so I will be putting it away and starting a new one. I'll start this one off with All the pieces I have done in the last 99 pages and then I will start a New thread.
Here are pictures from the first 50 pages of this thread. Tomorrow I will post the pictures from the last 49, Good night. :):):)

On 2006-09-20 10:58, Benzart wrote:
Here is an update on the 'Lesson" tikis Plus a Swamp Tiki done for Doug Horn of Swamp Tiki. It is his design that I did for him.
Enjoy

Green eyes?

![](https://tikicentral.com/uploads/1584/45496a02.jpg[/img
[img]https://tikicentral.com/uploads/1584/45496a27.jpg)

Here is some other stuff I worked on today. I worked on 4 pieces today-2 lono's a moai and a Hei-tiki

I'm calm!!

Enjoy

Here is a Jade lono I started today

I freed up the left arm and got more air showin thru

A bit of definition on the Eye

And some on the Jade lono

Here is a smalll 14mm chisel I made and even used on the "Spine" lono. It had a real Magical feel. To watch this Stone tool shave off a few slivers of wood was an Incredible feeling! And from such a small tool.

Of course you can see the sharp edge in the last picture shows a tiny occlusion in just the wrong placce, daarn it!

Here it is for real. Finally Finished and is going to someone in the Fender Guitar Company

Here he is with his cord all finished:

And last, my new Assistant

teaKEY, Thanks, sometimes I feel that the back is AS importand as the front because it tells the rest of the story and when we create a carving aren't we telling a story of sorts?

Finky, can't believe you would put Brendan's life in danger like that, doesn't he know not to run in traffic around here? :) Thanks FD, I Know he's safe with you. I will probably be over tomorrow for a bit if thats OK. Thanks.

Tama the Thrilled, Thanks for all the kind words and Inspiration. We Had a deal?? HappyHappyHappy

Surf tiki, Thanks, Yes He's sick and I have a doctor's appointment for him in a couple weeks down in NZ, They'll fix him right up! YEs the eyes, I used the wood burner to add color to the pupils, though I'm afraid I was a bit sloppy but you can't see it much with the stain on it. Thanks for your kind words.

JP, You're Welcome and thanks to you for the comps.. Hope the shots helped, It's hard to get much of what you were looking for with stills, I need a vid cam. One of these daze.

AS,I thought it WAS a kind of Paintbrush, NO? Thanks, YEs I Have had a bit of practice.

Here are a few shots with stain on him.

Finally Finished carving on this piece of wood!

Final pictures of this misfit.

These last 2 pictures are especially posted for JenTiki, Thanks Jen, HappyHappyHappy

Here is a Hula Girl update from today. Most of the carving is finished, now it's just the fun part, 100grit, 150 grit, 200 grit, 350 grit 400 grit 600 grit 800 grit 1000 well you get the picture. fortunately this is a fairly Soft piece of jade so I'm expecting little resistance.

My "Tiki Swap" piece:

Here is Todays update.

And one side for Wood carving with more organizing yet to come

And here are the clubs I roughtd out. 2 are Palo Escrito (same as the first) and 2 are Ziricote, a Beautiful, Heavy, two-toned wood with wild grain.

D

Ben, never do you post to many pic. Looking at the detail that you put into the eyes,( Kahuna Kalai Bezart,a carving master )yes post more. Doc Tiki

J

Uhhhh! Wow! Too many? Not a chance! There were some in there I think I missed the first time around. Thank you for a very entertaining 99 pages Ben! And thanks for lots of fine tiki bootay! Here's to the next 99!
:drink: :tiki: :drink: :tiki: :drink: :tiki: :drink: :tiki: :drink: :tiki: :drink: :tiki: :drink:

Yoinks!! Far out Ben, you are the carving-est!! Thanks so much for this reminder/run-down. Sadly a few pics are blocked (on my comp. at least) and the dirty-'ol dial-up makes for slow going, but not enough to spoil a fantastic trip down memory lane.

Some of those teeny heads are just incredible; the detail & life.. :o

Scale/material/subject matter - no prob; BenZ can take them all on!

Im loving the new jade Moko'ed Moai & his Honduran/NZ cousin cant wait to see him all finished off...

Congrats on ANOTHER 100 pages & I raise a glass (feeling better! :wink: ) to the next 100... CHEERS BENzART!!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Jul 8, 2007 6:09 PM

Agreed! CHEERS! Thanks Ben, for making TC a wonderful place.

B

Thanks Doctiki, Jentiki, Tama and GMAN, So far I have posted 80 pages worth of pictures and might finish the last 20 tonight as there are not too many pictures left.

First here's an update on the Jade misfit and the Coon Tiki Maori and a Copy of GMAN's that I might have for sale later.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1495 replies