Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Benzart 's, Last, most recent thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,495 replies

M

Thank you Ben ! This is a very important peice of info!!! Did everyone else know this ? Fess up!

Ok, I feel better now.

Cheers to ya sir!

Mahalo

McTiki

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Dec 21, 2006 5:47 PM

Yepper, I have gone through about a hundred cans of Helmsman. Nice stuff.

So Ben, we gonna see pics of the first few coats?

Yes McTiki, Gman = Lucky Dogg!

-Gman

J

or Dog lucky! Benzart ---I'll give you $2.50 more than Gman paid for it.

[ Edited by: JohnnyP 2006-12-21 17:58 ]

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Dec 21, 2006 6:08 PM

That only works once in a while Johnny - and not this time!

The poly starts going on......and the birds start circling!

-G

B

McTiki, I think a Few of us knew it, but not everyone.The final sanding is just SO Important if you want that silky smoothe finish, I'm glad you asked so now you know what I want to see on your next tiki right?? Thanks.

Sure Lucky Dogg, we can see a few Sweet shots

Hey Johnny, make it 10$ more and you have a deal, IF we can do it without that Lucky Dogg finding out!

What is all this white stuff falling on the Moai? Wow lookit those birds circling, WOW!

Here is a Jade lono I started today

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Dec 22, 2006 4:32 PM

Dude - You're a freak!

-Gman

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-12-22 16:34 ]

WOW! (he says with mouth gaping wide open)

• Myke
H

Benz, promise me you will never ever stop, no matter what happens. You know if it wasn't for you I wouldn't be on TC every day. Checking to see what new stuff you have for us. And no matter what you do, you are always soooooooooooo good. Merry Christmas.( I am so emotional now that I am going to start crying!!!):D :D :D :D

Yeah, I've been quiet lately, but I always check to look at your stuff. Always peepin!
So I guess I'm one of your peeps!?

B

Thanks GDUDE FrickinFreak I AM I Guess. Oh Well then Thats It and All there is to it. I'll have to be a better freak than you have seen,
TikiWhinebear, WOW Back to ya Thanks
Hiltiki, I'm NOT Gonna Stop for all the hay in the world, Thanks
Surfintiki, I'll be proud to have you as one of my peeps, So COOL, THANKS and KEEP on PEEPIN
Now This is what I'm Talkin about..Cool doods, Greg, You started this, didn't you.
Nobody liked the green Lono??
Thanks everyone:):):)

The green Lono is SWEET- you got that far in a day????

H

Well since looking at that crazed Moai with the octopus around his neck, I've actualy had a nightmare about an octopus latching onto my neck--AAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! (a side effect of too much TC, perhaps). That thing looks great, though.

Like the jade lono too. It looks very thin inside his mouth-are you gonna go all the way through with it or just leave it real thin there?

Everything you do is MAGIC!

H
hewey posted on Sat, Dec 23, 2006 3:17 PM

Jade lono is sweet my friend! That moai thing aint bad either :)

On 2006-12-23 06:54, finkdaddy wrote:
Everything you do is MAGIC!

+1, totally agree...

Amy

B

Thanks Skully, Yeah, those new burs really rock and make a big diff.

Thanks Surf'n turf, You didn't know the Killer Octopuses got their victems like that? Lust a gentle love squeeze at first, then when you're comfortalbe, a poison bite and then they tighten the grip around the relaxed throat and slowly squeeze them to death after which they slither off in search of another victem!!! Watch out..
No, I will keep the thin stone in the mouth. I May pierce the corners of the headdress though, I don't know yet.

Thanks Finky Hewey and Queenie, Much appreciated.
I Hope everyone has a great Christmas, and that everyone gets all the toys you ask for.
Here are some totally finished pix of the Moai.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Dec 24, 2006 5:45 PM

Ben,

He looks terrific. I can't wait to see him in person. See ya soon.

-Gman

T

Hey GMAN! Beware the OCTOEYE!

Nice work on both the lono and the octo-guy, Ben. Since you keep raising the bar, are you now going to make a 5 foot high lono out of jade? :wink:

B
Bete posted on Tue, Dec 26, 2006 5:00 PM

It turned out awesome!
Happy holidays!

[ Edited by: Bete 2006-12-26 17:01 ]

B

Thanks guyz, Mr and Mrz GMAN visited me today for a few hourz. We all shared some Christmas cheer and they talked great story. GMAN brought a tiki in need of a face learning session and we drastically Changed his faial being. they packed up and left along with the late BigBenzart MOAI under their arm, leaving Mr benzart alone and brokenhearted. I gotta hurry and carve another piece to give me some company

Thanks for coming guyz it was great.

H

I gotta hurry and carve another piece to give me some company

Hurry, hurry, hurry---happy, happy, happy!!!!

WoW BenZ, that Gman is one lucky and gifted dude! I really like the collaborative work you guys are doing these days... incredible what G' has done in such a short time with BenZart Moai#13!!! :D

Take a look! http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=15632&forum=7&start=last&1307

Can't wait to see how he finishes the teko-face you started?

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

Hi Ben.

Well done Sir; a masterpiece! Such character & life. There is nothing more to say...
I was so glad to get back to see him all done. Congrats Gman. Sounds like you guys had a nice time.

Great start on the jade Lono too Ben. Now you know what to expect from the stone Im expecting Great things... Rock on!

Tama :)

B

Hi Ben,

Thanks for answering about the clear coat poly.
Very happy to see that your octopussy guy is finally and definitely a huge masterpiece that rocks my macintosh !
The beginning of your stone lono leave us to know that the greatest with you is always greatter the day after.

benjamin

B

TGap, Thanks for keeping an EYE Out! I Wish I had a 5 foot piece of jade for a Lono! They make a chainsaw that has carbide teeth for concrete, Wonder if that would work.Thanks.
Bete, Thanks. :) :)
Surf'nturf Thanks too. I'm hurryin as fast as I can!
TJ, HAHAHA, You crack me up, I Love the "Gmoai/CigarZart" Cooool
Tama, Thanks too, I'm really glad to have him done and out the door and out of MY Hair. My back has been Killin me so I hope to do some Bench work for awhile and that means STONE and JADE, Yippeeee. The lono is getting there, I'm not particularly proud of it yet but it will get there.
Benella, Thanks and No problem for the explaination, Just ask, Thanx,
Well I did a bit more work on bete's Lono and also some on the jade one too
Here are some update pic's:
I freed up the left arm and got more air showin thru

A bit of definition on the Eye

And some on the Jade lono

B
Bete posted on Fri, Dec 29, 2006 1:49 PM

Awesome, those two pieces look way cool! Happy New Year!

B

Thanks Bete.
I have not done much carving recently, but did a bit today . Here's the Lono:

Here is a smalll 14mm chisel I made and even used on the "Spine" lono. It had a real Magical feel. To watch this Stone tool shave off a few slivers of wood was an Incredible feeling! And from such a small tool.

Of course you can see the sharp edge in the last picture shows a tiny occlusion in just the wrong placce, daarn it!

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jan 2, 2007 5:11 PM

He's mad! MAD I say!

Neato cool jade toolz. Now take that handle off of it and let ME wear it as a pendant! Please?

That jade Lono is fabulous! Are you close to starting the sanding?

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jan 2, 2007 5:18 PM

Oh, and I killed my phone...so my cell # is DOA. With that I also lost your number.

H
hewey posted on Tue, Jan 2, 2007 5:28 PM

Nice work Benz, that Jade tool is very cool too :)

On 2007-01-02 17:18, GMAN wrote:
Oh, and I killed my phone...so my cell # is DOA. With that I also lost your number.

You told me you got attacked by a plague of locusts and couldnt dial to call me because of your swollen fingures!

:) :) :)

T

Hey Benz, you need to see a professional. The jade chisel is just too much! Has tama seen this yet? Eee Gads man! I agree with GMAN - you're MAD!

That said, how's it hold an edge?

Ben- That Santa moai is beautiful! Just now saw it... The eyes and expression are awesome.

On 2007-01-02 20:03, tikigap wrote:
The jade chisel is just too much! Has tama seen this yet? Eee Gads man! I agree with GMAN - you're MAD!

**Just caught it!! Great stuff Ben; hope you're going to show us some work made with it? I once made a set of 4-5(?) similar whao/chisels but without any handles & they were snapped up by a woodcarver for detailing.

I dont think you're mad at all :wink:

Tama

B

GMAN, Yes, I'm Mad all right, Mad that I didn't make a whole set of these earlier. The edge is Very sharp and sliced the Mahogany like a warm butter knife going through tub butter! Add that to the emense pleasure of stepping back a few hundred years in time and it is just Priceless. The feeling was very Hallowed.
How could you lose my Number, I'm #1, and that's not hard to remember izzit?

Hewey, Thanks,, "Swollen Fingures" Huh? Cool, I wanna see.

TGap, Yeah, I Know I'm in serious trouble here and professional help is required, But lemme make the whole set before the come to take me away, Pleeeze?

Sam, Thanks, I Appreciate your kind words. I Know since the Creating forum was split in two we rarely get into the 'Other" side much any more. I'm glad you visited today, Thanks again.

Thanks Tama, that makes me feel better to know I'm Not really Mad! hear that guys, I'M NOT MAD!!Ha Ha.
I can see why a woodcarver would want a set of these tools. They cut very smoothly, and with proper care and use, they should last a long time. But I'm sure that if dropped they would find the One spot on the floor with no padding. Murphy's law #27 says so. Thanks again tama!

J

I see massive potential in that Lono. Rock chisles rock! How does the edge compare to steel? Glass? I imagine it could get quite sharp.

Thanks for the close ups of the adze wrapping on Tama's thread.

I've been on dial up for the last two weeks, so I just caught all the recent photos. I've been missing way too much.

JP

B
Bete posted on Wed, Jan 3, 2007 3:21 PM

That jade Lono's looking nice.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Jan 7, 2007 4:05 PM

How's the Big Benzo doing today? I hope you can get some shop-time in this week. Hope all is well.

-Gman

B
Bowana posted on Sun, Jan 7, 2007 6:33 PM

Hey Benz- I really like this guy.

Looking forward to seeing some progress pictures. It's what kind of wood?

B

Yeah, Yeah,Yeah, I'm All right and I know I should have spok up sooner. I have spent the last 5 or 6 dayd with my feet and legs all puffed up along with both hands on and off. Today I could put shoes on Comfortably. Yesterday I received the Artificial Sinew and did a half a cord and it turned out better thaaaaan any I have done to date. I will do the other half and show y'all tomorrow. My memory has been missing a lot too so IF there is anything I promised or email I didn't respond to or checks I forgot about or,,well you get the pitcher, I Apologize. There were a few daze I actually worried about me there but it looks cool now. Now ZI got Work to do, palces to go and things to carve and finish carving. Think I'm gonna start drinking more coffee.
See 'Ya

J

On 2007-01-07 18:44, Benzart wrote:
things to carve and finish carving. Think I'm gonna start drinking more coffee.

I am glad you are feeling better, we missed you! Let me buy you a cup of that coffee.

JP

B
Bete posted on Mon, Jan 8, 2007 9:47 AM

Ben,
So sorry to hear you've not been feeling well lately, found this article for you reagrding coffee:
http://www.vitamedica.com/html/Benefitsofcoffee.html
Be well.

B

Thanks Bete and everyone. I did a little bit on the Lono today. here he is with a bit of Oil added. He Still needs Lots of sanding.

Thanks.

F

Wow, Ben, that looks great! So much detail in such a small space. He should polish up nicely.

Oh Ben, it's a beautiful work of art. Can you imagine if someone dug that up in Hawaii it would cause a stir around the world. You are a master, Wendy

T

On 2007-01-09 16:59, Benzart wrote:
Thanks.

He puts something like this out here, and HE says "Thanks"? Wow. What a cool piece. Very nice! THANKS to You Ben! That's just great!

P
pdrake posted on Tue, Jan 9, 2007 5:42 PM

ben, is that the jade i gave you? if so, i'd like it back now, please.

great work.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jan 9, 2007 5:44 PM

Sweet update Ben! This guy is really getting pimped. The small detail lines you've added are going to really elevate the look of the finished piece. It looks like you've put in at least 30 hours since we saw him last. Only 200 more hours to go.... :D Please keep us updated regularly as I need to see this stuff!

-Gman

H
hewey posted on Tue, Jan 9, 2007 5:58 PM

I like the speckled jade in the close up pics, gives it some character

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1495 replies