Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Benzart 's, Last, most recent thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,495 replies

B

The doctor is teasing... :wink:

B

Thanks Pappy, Ben, GMAN and Ben, Much appreciated, even the
Gman
Here is a Moai pendant for finky Almost done in Curly maple AND a bit on the Curly LONO. I'l be gone for the weekend to FtLauderdale to a convention ant ==d to the Tiki Jam at Loki's.

good morning ben i love them big tikis the lono is looking awesome

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Jan 19, 2007 3:58 PM

Oh man oh man! That curly Moai pendant is gonna be great! Finky...you dogg!

The Lono is coming along nicely as well, so many little places to work on! Boy is he gonna be something else!!!

-Gman

Ben, that Lono is really incredible! I love the wood color too. Gonna be one hell of a special piece when its done... like all the work you do.
This one's got those extra special touches though.

Reminds me I need to get back to some logs... taking a little break these days and making myself a little more rounded :wink:

T

I love curley wood like that. Nice choice!

Ben!
Shaping up beautifully!
How tall is that Lono? I'm curious, do you have a preference carving big or small pieces? I can see a few of the advantages and disadvantages of both, but I was just wondering what a Real-Live Master Carver's take on it would be! :)
Is it really true that all you can turn out are masterpieces?

B

It is true that every little thing that Benz can turn out is masterpiece.
really beautiful work on the lono (and on the moai too).
The lono hs lots of benzart niceties in it. want to see even more pics.

Benjamin.

J

I am glad to see you are back to the big guys. I was really looking forward to seeing this one progress. Lots and Lots of progress pictures please!

Fink is getting a great piece as well, you are killer with the faces.

JP

Nice Ben...dat Lono looks like a tall one...I bet he's almost five feets huh?
He sure is gonna turn out perdy.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jan 21, 2007 5:52 PM

Yesterday my mate showed me a log with a curve in he has for me... Curly lono it is I think :)

Inspiring as always mate :)

Kustom Kahoona* - Tiki and Hot Rod Art by Hewey*

[ Edited by: hewey 2007-01-21 17:53 ]

B

Went to Loki's So Fla Tiki Jam Saturdy for a little while. Met Lots off people, heard excellent Haole Katz music, had 45 star Hamburgers with All the fixinns, Made a few wood chips. Carved a bit with Pappa Bear. Sherry and I had a great time!
Thanks Loki and Stumpgrinder!
Back to work Monday.

Just a few pix of the fun we had

B
Bete posted on Mon, Jan 22, 2007 1:42 PM

Cool pictures!

B

Marcus, Thanks, this Lono has been around a Long time and I'm gonna finish him up NEXT. Now that the Moai is done for Finky. Thanks again.

Thanks GMAN, the Moai is Finished and a Beautiful piece of wood it is for sure. You're right about the zillion places that need to be worked on that Lono.

Lake, Thanks for your Kind words, I'm really happy with how this Lono is coming out.

TGap, thanks, yes this wood is Spectacular and VERY Hard too, but fun to carve.

LLTiki, thanks for your sweet words, The Lono is about 40 inches tall. I Love carving the large pieces and I Love carving the small pieces. They each present their own seperate challenges And Both feel great to complete. Now if I were a Master carver, then Everything I carved would have to be a masterpiece, but some of the pieces I do are Not masterpieces, so I guess that is proff that I am Not a Master carver, but hope to be someday! Thanks.

Thanks too Benjamin, Starting tomorrow, I will be posting more pictures of Mr Lono as I will be working on him Full time until he is done, Unless I start something new before he is done. (Not in the plans!) Thanks

John, Thanks for the kind words, and yes there will be Many More Pix starting tomorrow. Thanks for the props on the Moai too.

Conga, Yep he's a Big'un, Almost 4 feets. I Can't wait to get the finish on him to see how he will look. Thanks again, Yours is coming up soon!
OOPS, I hit submit when I didn't want to.

Hewey, Thanks, I Hope to inspire a few carvers 'round here, so thanks, Makes my day! Can't wait to see the log you are talking about. What tree is it, do you know? Lono sounds good for me.. Thanks again.

Bete, thanks, we had a Lot of fun, Loki and Stumpgrinder are Terriffic hosts and the weather was great, mid 70's all day,, Perfect. Happy Happy happy
Here are a few pic's of the Final of the Moai, except without the Cord. Finky needs to tell me how long to make it.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jan 22, 2007 8:17 PM

Hey man, whats that big silver car - got any more pics? looks like a good time :)

B

I Don.t but Loki Might. It was a front end of a hook and Ladder rig that this guy ended up with and he built it ino a roadster, A GIANT One and it is really COOL.
Ben

Looks like a good time in good company Ben; thats what its all about.

That shimmery wee Moai is a cracker, beautiful wood. Amazing to see the same hand that recently finished the Occy-Moai turned to something smaller; its easy to see the Ben in them both. Great stuff!

TTT :) :) :)

B

Beautiful work (and very happy for the future Mr Lono !).
Is that clear coat poly on the moai?

Benjamin.

B

Thanks Tama, they DO Look like Brothers, don't they?
Yes, the "Company included some Excellent carvers and musicians. GREAT Time was had by All, Thanks Tama :) :) :)
Ben, Thanks for the props. The Moai has 6 coats of lacquer with sanding between each coat with 400 grit paper and a final coat of bees wax on the buffing machine. Glad you Likee

B
Bete posted on Tue, Jan 23, 2007 10:17 AM

That Moai piece really turned out great.

B

On 2007-01-23 05:01, Benzart wrote:

Ben, Thanks for the props. The Moai has 6 coats of lacquer with sanding between each coat with 400 grit paper and a final coat of bees wax on the buffing machine. Glad you Likee

I don't like it , I love it :wink:

ST

You are either all dwarfs or that is the biggest f'n car I've ever seen. Oh yeah, the carving is great as usual.

B

Wil. the guy who made it, built it from a Fire engine Hook and ladder engine. it is a Giant roadster,,/hot rod looking thing with a LONG Hood. Someone has pic's of it I will try to find.
Thanks.

That Moai looks all clean and crisp and shiny and wondrous! I see the Tangata Manu on the side! Beautiful! That made me smile! :) You're like the Energizer Bunny of Carving!

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jan 23, 2007 4:17 PM

Fantastic pendant Benz. Man, I love the curly woodz. You always use the coolest curly woodz :D Finky is gonna be one happy happy boy!

Big week Aye Finky?!!!

I'm glad it looks like the 3rd TikiJam was another great success. I missed you all greatly and actually never left the house all weekend. I really wish I was there with you all and running the hell out of my saws and chisels.

I can't wait to see the mahogany Lono standing up and showing off all of his newest details. You are such and incredible craftsman. I would love to have your vision and carving knowledge for one day!

Hope you are feeling better my friend,

Gman

B

On 2007-01-22 20:17, hewey wrote:
Hey man, whats that big silver car - got any more pics? looks like a good time :)

M

OMG!!! That thang is sport'n large! lol! Pull up to a light and start rev'n that shiznit! People would just shrink up in their seats.

Mahalo Ben

Thanks for sharing

McTiki

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Jan 24, 2007 9:29 AM

yup, I could roll like that....

B

Yup, Thatz Some ride. He Drove it over 4000 miles round trip to some big hot rod show out in the North West And it made it out and back with no problems except for 5 or 6 miles per gallon. He has a Big block Chevy engine in it.

Anyway thanks for all the props on the Moai
Here are a bunch of pix of the lono.When I pick up a chisel, I will work several areas with it before I change chisels, it saves time that way. He needs cleanup everywhere and half the headdress is not finished. Today I worked on the eyes plus areas around them. My WeeCheer took a Bend to theb wrong side on me today,Dammit. I got a bunch of chisels last week at the wood carving club, very cheep for Henry taylor's even if they were used and rusted, I fixed them all in about an hour

You asked for a lot of pitures and here they are! Thanks

P

nice work ben. i just got my weecher hand piece in the mail today. does it ever get hot? my old, cheepie one sure did after about 30 seconds you couldn't hold it.

B

Yes Perry, it Does get hot, dependiing how much you Push it.

Very nice Ben!

I gotta take one of your sharpening classes... my gouges are in a bad way.

Maybe I'll do some reading... looks like I have a little downtime (see my thread)

Keep up the good work... you'll get through the mechanical glitches. :)

Y

Hey Ben,
as usual, beautiful work, I wish I can carve like you some day

What kind of wood are you using, it looks like laurel

B

Surfer, Thanks. Sorry to see you got bit, and by a wine glass, hope it was good wine.
Yubaba, thanks, The wood is Florida Mahogany, Sweet carving wood.

J

Oh man! All those great pics and not one booty shot! Come on Benz, you know I gotta have it!

Looking fantastic! Can't wait to see how this one turns out!

B

Here you go JenTiki, This one's for YOU!

Z
Zaya posted on Thu, Jan 25, 2007 2:15 PM

WOW, this guy is amazing!

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jan 25, 2007 2:16 PM

Nice man. very nice.

Thanks for the car pics too :)

B

Thanks Zaya, Nice to have you over here too!
Hewey, you get thanks also for your comps, Thanks.
I Do have more pix from today Here.

This makes the Spine headdress almost done, LOTS More to go

On 2007-01-25 17:59, Benzart wrote:
This makes the Spine headdress almost done, LOTS More to go

Lots more?? Oy vey. I need to get crackin.

AWESOME!!

B

A M A Z I N G

I'm really happy with this rockin' guy.
Love the spinal/vertebral headdress, Dr Benzart :wink:
:) :) :) *

Benjamin.

*Happy, Happy, Happy.

M

Premium work Ben! I love watching the progression.

Mahalo

McTiki

B
Bete posted on Fri, Jan 26, 2007 8:05 AM

It´s looking really great!

Go, Ben, Go! Keep crankin' out Lonos! (hint, hint)

J

Thanks for the booty shots Ben! Looking Good!

Absolutely incredible!

Scott

P

Ben, as someone who witnessed your first post on here, and the subsequent carvings, it has been a great pleasure to watch your work restored to the larger scale projects. I like the small carvings as well, but the large ones have a LOT of mana.

I don't often do "rah-rah" posts anymore since they add to the noise to signal ratio here in the carving forum but this Lono is outstanding and I'm really looking forward to seeing it completed.

I'm planning on stealing the big tiki you did that Duke has when I get up to Chicago.
I think I have a coat big enough.
Once I get it into place I'll give you visiting rights.

Aloha and mahalo.

B

Thanks Mr NoNaMe, yes You better get crackin', Me too!
Benella, you too, thanx for the props.
Thanks McTiki, You've certainly had plenty time to watch this one. He's been on the table for a LOOng time.
Bete, Thanks, I predict this guy will be finished in 2 weeks , I Gotta quit playin' around.
Pappy, Thanks! Yes I Know I'm running a little late Am I? Thanks.Soon I hope.
Jen, Any time, How could I forget. I Promise it won't happen again. Thankssss
TikiTerrace, Thanks scott, I've been watching YOUR Thread too and You are up to some Excellent Stuff yourself!
Pablus, Thanks for the kind words. You are one of the few who have been around since before I joined back in '04. I think this guy has been around about that long and was inspired by that one of Dukes.
I'm Sure you will have plenty room in the sleeve of your coat, since Duke is gonna Rip off your Arm for trying to swipe his Lono. Cool tho cuz I can carve you a replacement,,Right or Left?
Thanks everyone. I didn't work on the lono today as I got started on cleaning the Garage again,,Dammit! I Did band-saw out a small Moai though, Pic's Sometime!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1495 replies