Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Benzart 's, Last, most recent thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,495 replies

hey ben that is just wicked. i really like the eyes on him what are they exactly? i know you have said but i cant remember. but anyways good work. one of these days i WILL come down there and i WILL meet the great benzart. untill then ill have to look from afar at your work.

J

That woodburner just highlites all that wonderful detail.
JP

B

Thanks JP, The woodburner really Iz ze toul!
Here's todays update. All thats left is to cleanup the headdress and sand for a day and then the finish comes.

B
Bete posted on Fri, Aug 4, 2006 2:06 PM

Oh, so that is a clear sealer, and not a stain, looks great, I like that finish, it looked a slightly different color, so i thought it had some kind of a tint to it, I like it.

B
Bete posted on Fri, Aug 4, 2006 2:07 PM

On 2006-08-04 10:38, Tiki Duddy wrote:
hey ben that is just wicked. i really like the eyes on him what are they exactly? i know you have said but i cant remember. but anyways good work. one of these days i WILL come down there and i WILL meet the great benzart. untill then ill have to look from afar at your work.

I asked about that too, it's a kind of a shell called abalone.

B
Bete posted on Fri, Aug 4, 2006 2:10 PM

Looking nice, it is going to look sharp with an even sealed finish. Guess you got to really seal that one up to protect it from flying beers, ha, ha.

Happy Birthday to You! Happy Birthday to You! Happy Birthday, dear Benzart, Happy...Hello?
Where's the party? I'm not THAT late am I? I think it's because of the time zone difference.
Zaya just brought this over:

Any last minute advice before I break it?
Late Birthday Greeting Burnin' Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2006-08-07 16:05 ]

I totally hate that thing at the top of the page...Look at it quick so I can get rid of it...

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Aug 4, 2006 3:15 PM

On 2006-08-04 14:02, Benzart wrote:

Baby got back!

B

Bete yes it's just clear and it brings out the great wood grain and color.
Thanks.

COOL Buzzy, Thanks big time, Can't wait to get it. Birthday party? My B-day is not for another 11 months. Cool, you got the dual burner.. Decided which tiki to put on your arm? You Really gonna let Zaya do it? Cool. Oh Happy Daz.
Paipo Thanks, Yup, got back.

[ Edited by: Benzart 2006-08-04 15:21 ]

T

this guy keeps looking better & better ben!! what style of tiki are you going to do for the other tap handle? i think some day when i get some $$ saved up, i'm gonna have to get onto your list. your work is some of the best out there!

Hey Ben- The extra touches make this guy look even better. I really like how the shell on the eyes add to him. Happy belated birthday too!

B

Thanks Tiki5-0. You might as well get on the list now because by the time I get to you u could have saved enough for a house! :)
Thanks Sam,and Belated Happy Birthday to you too!

B

Here is the finished tap handle # 70 and the beginnings of tap handle #2
#70 has 1 coat of poly on it so far.

Excellent!
Just one question: What tool did you use to burn this? (Ha! Ha! I asked first this time!)
Makes me want to get drunk...
I owe you $20...
Buzzy

T

that tap handle came out lookin' awesome ben! excellent job as always! the eyes look great against the color of the wood. the 2nd one is lookin' good so far. i'm sure it's gonna be another awesome piece!

M
McTiki posted on Mon, Aug 7, 2006 6:13 PM

Wow those are cool Ben!!!

Mc

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Aug 7, 2006 6:28 PM

:D

C

wonderful work on number 70 Ben....you always find a little unique personality in each
one...many happy taps will be poured by this guy.

B
Bete posted on Tue, Aug 8, 2006 5:56 AM

Congratulations on finishing #70, I like that you didn't stain it, the coloring turned out very, very nice. The other tiki tapper is looking good!

That came out gret. The eyes are hyp-no-tiz-ing.

B

BayPark, Thanks, your burner is Badder than mine, I have an Old, Used Colwood single station, but I can use the Optima pens on it which is Great. Go Ahead, tie one on!
Thanks Tiki5-0, the eyes Will make you dizzy if you look at them too long!.
MCTiki, thanks for the props.
GMAN..HappyHappyHappy
Conga,thanks too. I'm sure this guy will spread a Lot of liquid Cheer!
AS, thanks, See Tiki5-0, yes they will put you under a spell.

Here is a Morning update and an Afternoon update on # 70. I think i like how he is turning out too.

Ultra-Mod Hipster! He's not your traditional Benzart piece!

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Aug 8, 2006 7:02 PM

Benzo,

The Beatnic-Tang. Dig it, Dig it, Daddy-O. He's got scooby hairs on his chin just like Shaggy :D You are freaking going off over there! Dang! You switch your meds again? Give me some of those! I could use a little boost...

-Gman

B
Bete posted on Wed, Aug 9, 2006 10:29 AM

Wow, that one is going to really be different, the new "hip tiki tapper" breaks the mold for Ben's traditional tikis for sure.

Was it Maynard G. Krebs, or something like that? Cannot remember the show name, but the actor was Gilligan in real life. That's who that new guy reminded me of when I saw it.

On the carving end:
Is this the machine you mentioned to 4wd yesterday?
http://www.cybercarving.com/skx100.htm
Thanks, BUZZY(the guy), from BAY PARK(the part of town)

T

Nice work - as usual - Unique idea too - I'm sure you could sell a few of those!

Another inspiring piece.

B

Surfintiki, Thanks, all I was looking for was Different and I guess I got it.

GMAN, thanks, NO, the meds are the same, my mind is what has been altered.

Bete, Yep, the mold is broken.

BayPark, Thanks MAynard does kinda fit, right. Yes, that is the machine. I got to try one at the MAounain heritage store while at Coon Tiki.
Thanks TGap, appreciate the kind words.

I didn't do too much to the guy today, so will update later. Did receive a b-day care package from BPark and here is one of the stickers. Thanks Big time BBB

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Aug 9, 2006 2:30 PM

Taptiki #2 looks like he's got a bit of a moai kavakava vibe happening with that goatee. That sticker looks great too, but don't stop now - put a 6 foot Lono head that plays "Quiet Village" on the roof of your wagon and you'll be set! "The Benzmobile", distributing contemporary artifacts to the culturally starved....

B
Bete posted on Wed, Aug 9, 2006 3:59 PM

On 2006-08-09 10:36, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Was it Maynard G. Krebs, or something like that? Cannot remember the show name, but the actor was Gilligan in real life. That's who that new guy reminded me of when I saw it.

On the carving end:
Is this the machine you mentioned to 4wd yesterday?
http://www.cybercarving.com/skx100.htm
Thanks, BUZZY(the guy), from BAY PARK(the part of town)

Ha, yeah, Bob Denver played beatnick Maynard G. Krebs, here's a link to a page on him: http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/lawrence/153/krebs.html#

B
Bete posted on Wed, Aug 9, 2006 3:59 PM

Cool deacal Ben!

B

Thanks Paipo and Bete. BayParkBuzzy made the stickers... Really cool

On 2006-08-08 16:36, Benzart wrote:
BayPark, Thanks, your burner is Badder than mine, I have an Old, Used Colwood single station, but I can use the Optima pens on it which is Great. Go Ahead, tie one on!
Thanks Tiki5-0, the eyes Will make you dizzy if you look at them too long!.
MCTiki, thanks for the props.
GMAN..HappyHappyHappy
Conga,thanks too. I'm sure this guy will spread a Lot of liquid Cheer!
AS, thanks, See Tiki5-0, yes they will put you under a spell.

Here is a Morning update and an Afternoon update on # 70. I think i like how he is turning out too.

damn, this guy has a quiff... me like! me like! :)

B

Here is the last update for a few days while Sherry and I leave town for a few daze.

See'ya next week!

Benzart,

Super Sweet Tap handle. It makes me want to drink beers. Your tiki is looking a little glassy eyed like it already had a few.

B
Bete posted on Thu, Aug 10, 2006 10:12 AM

Looking cool Ben, that goatee is cool on that new one. Sounds like you're going on vacation? If so, have a good trip.

TG

Ben I like'em! Are you installing the ferrules as well. Nothing sweeter than a tiki for a tap handle, especially if you drink beer like we do.

H
hewey posted on Fri, Aug 11, 2006 2:52 AM

Like that new guy with goatee man :)

B

Thanks TorboSickBoy, glad you likee me too.
Will, thanks too, yes he may have already had one or a few., or he was hypnotized by his Lono buddy
Bete, thanks. Yes we had a few dayz away from it all. back to work tomorrow.
Hey TikiG, No I am not installing the Hardware, TikiBirdwants to do that part which is fine by me..Thanks
Hewey, can that BE a Goatee on a tiki? I think he just has a hairy chin.
Tomorrow back to work.

J

Great stuff. The eye inserts and the burned moko add so much to an already perfect piece. You've been back for a day (hope you had a good trip), where's the update?

B

I wasn't able to work on anything today. Travelling sets me back worse than I thought. Tomorrow for sure!

B

Here are the latest updates. Carving finished on both tap handles, just need Poly

T

the 2nd one turned out great ben! they both are AWESOME!!! those are some great tap handles. so what's next on your to do list? looking foward to seeing whatever it is.

These are excellent pieces, as always, Ben. I love the shell inserts too. There's such a high degree of class that your carvings carry too.

B
Bete posted on Tue, Aug 15, 2006 4:50 PM

WOW, really cool!

B

Thanks Tiki5-0, It's about time these guys are done, I think I started them over a year ago?
Sam, Thanks for the kind words, the shells were a gift from Bamboo, the Revrend, Ben, which he got from Eli himself...Thanks Ben .
I have some real honest to goodness green Abalone from New Zealand sent to me by Paipo which will be adorning some near future carvings.

H
harro posted on Tue, Aug 15, 2006 6:15 PM

what a great pair!
i envy the bar where they will live and serve.
great work!

B

Thanks Harro, I do envy them as well.
Here is the beginning of the master for the Malicious Mug Pendant. It is 1 5/8 Inches tall and carved from Maple. I haven't carved this small since I first started back carving. #1 was a bit smaller than this guy.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1495 replies