Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Benzart 's, Last, most recent thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,495 replies

T

the belly of the beast looks so good that it certainly looks like its sitting on the neck. It looks like you got your hook knife under the creature

Hey Benz! Love the new take on the 'ole Moai. The octo-pendant rocks!!

Arrrgh! Look at the suckers on that sucker!!!

This Moai just keeps getting better'er & better'er...

Im crying... :cry:

*Hope you realise Im coming around to your house with my pounamu pighammer Gman - (dont worry, its too heavy to swing :lol:)

Top accolades for the King of woodchippers. I am now lying as low on the floor as I can - RE-SPECT!!!

Tama

Well shit...

I guess there's just about nothin you can't sculpt out of wood Ben...

Damn.

Really nice work, something totally different again, and the craftsmanship is outta this world.

Damn.

Damn Damn.

M
McTiki posted on Wed, Dec 6, 2006 2:22 PM

Ben, this is fantastically original.

Unique.

Incredible!

Wow!

Mana is flowing in the Zart's house!

McTiki

C

Wonderful work Ben...that GMan is sure one lucky "sucker" to get this one. Very cool carvings
from the coolest carver around.

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Dec 6, 2006 2:52 PM

WEll well well!! If that isn't the coolest thing I have ever seen...I don't know what is. I am super jazzed about this guy. Everything about him is coming together perfectly. You must be very proud of what you have done so far. I can't wait to see him in person and share the Holidays with him. Happy Happy Happy!!!

-Gman

Oh baby baby! Ben, you really need to get a coffeetable book of your work published. Someone around here has got to have publishing connections.

K

wowowowow!!!! very cool and different.

[ Edited by: keigs20 2006-12-06 17:21 ]

H
hewey posted on Wed, Dec 6, 2006 5:23 PM

You paid $6 for that Air NZ tiki? Shoot, Ill have to put mine on ebay...

Octopus is killer man :)

B

Yo Paipo You weren't really expecting a Jade looking Octopus? Aren't they ALWAYS Slimey greeen looking?. You of ALl peeps should have expected this, You and Tama.
How many Peeps will you nreed to bump off to get your hands on one of these?? That I know of ONLY ONE. Take a trip over to the GMAN's house and convince him that you want it more than he needs his life. IF You went the Other way, you're talkin about 15 to 20 peeps bumped outta the way to get yours. This way you and everybody gets theirs, Eveb GMAN, even if it is for a shorter time than anticipated...
Yes, Even by My Standards, this is ahighly inspired piece of work and I've had lots of help from the Ancients. Things that should not have worked and did. Things that I could Never have been able to do are done. I Didn't ask for the green color, it's Not what I wanted, I wanted a mottled brown/grey/white and beige. I think my color scheme would have looked great, but NO, theyu wanted it Their way and Who can argue with the likes of them.
SHut me up[ now!Thanks Paipo, I appreciate the kind wordz.

JP Thanks for the comps. The magic of modern tooling. I had to do just about ALL the shaping with knives, gouges, chisels, All hand tools, I used a couple different size cup burs and corrisponding ball burs . First grind a cup and then hollow it out like a bowl,, EAZY and FUN!

teaKEY I DID Tickle his belly with the hook. Once I had him there he did what I wanded and more. Thanks

Aaron, Thanks for the props. I Really love the "Octo-Pendant". Watch, it will be the new 'In Thing" to have at TC events now. Thanks again!

Tama the Tearful, It's OK, I know how this stuff effects you and it will be better in the morning.
Well, I figured "what is an Octopus without suckers" and the rest is history. All it took was a few little toolz to do it kinda right. Thanks for the Accolades and kind words and for the tears too!

LAKE, Welcome around these parts, how'd you find yer way, Glad you did, thanks for the kind words.

MCTiki. Thanks for the New words Yes there is Mana all over the place. So much, that the isrealites are stopping by here to get bags of mana for their trip across the red sea. They thought moses parted the seas, but it was My mana thak kept them afloat all the way across the Red sea and Moseso got all the credit for it and I was left holding a bag of mouldy mana that someone had stepped on and flattened out. Thanks McTiki

Conga, thanks big time for the Coolest words tonight. You know how to make a guy feel great Thanx.

GMAN, YEP, I'm Proud, I Really love the way he is coming together. Oh Yeah, You'll get to spend the holidaze with him ahttp://www.ebay.com/
eBay nd I get to be here without Anything like him, maybe I should just kep him myown self . I could make you up a regular moai later??
Yes Raffer, A coffee table book would be great. Who out there knowshow to get this done?? Thanks Raffer!

Keigs 20/40, Thanks for the comps and props , every little bit helps

Hewey, Actually I paid 3.99$ for it and was super happy to get it
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=250046685152&rd=1&rd=1
I think that covered shipping too!.Thanks fr the props.

WOW, Thanks everyone for the response . I will definitely be doing a few more of these, one for Paipo, one for Tama and one for a non TC member.
Thanks and Good nite!

That looks spectacular. the suckers came out great - I got to see the techinque on how to make the marks for the suckers and wow - they came out great. I finished the moai I was working on and should have pictures tomorrow.

B

Thanks AS,'preciate that. wheres your pix?

L
Loki posted on Thu, Dec 7, 2006 7:38 AM

Octomoai just keeps getting better and better. Lookin' great Benz. How did the mahogany take the green color? soak it up like a sponge?

B

Thanks Loki,, The Mahogany didn't soak up the green too bad at all. There was no bleed thru, but I still have to get a smaller pen to get into some tight corners. I sanded it down pretty smooth which makes the surface less porous.
. I finished the eyes and nose today. I will have updates later.

I can see I Really need to do some touch up in the eyes, thats really Bad!

[ Edited by: Benzart 2006-12-07 11:00 ]

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Dec 7, 2006 12:54 PM

On 2006-12-07 10:30, Benzart wrote:

"You sure do got a purdy mouth..."

I totally forgot about the back, now I have lots more updates to look forward to. Go Benz! I wanna see this guy finished when I get back from my weekend trip...

WOW!! That guy looks Fantabulous!!! Its freakin beautiful!!! Great job BENZ!!!

hey do you ever use those stainless forms to scrape the wood . . I don't know what they're called . . . a friend of mine used to restore old guitars and he had this set of little metal scrapers . They were like french curves , only made out of like 20 guage stainless . You scrape the edge along the wood and it makes a nice contour after a while .

anyhow , maybe not , but that is a bad ass carving . I need to get back out in the garage !

Hi Ben, Dan has an octopus in his tiki room, a gift from his dad. Now it links to you, I like it a lot, Wendy

B

Thanx Spermy, I LOVE those Big Important sounding words!
Mike Thanks, I haven't used "Scrapers for years. I used to break glass window panes and use the pieces for scraping. You can get all kinds of shapes needed for carvings and the glass is ultra sharp. Scrapers are a Lot of work though, but they can produce a very smoothe finish.
Thanks Wendy, The Octopus is a Very facinating and beautiful animal, as well as being beautiful/Ugly, they are Very Smart and cunning. I guess they Have to be to figure out how to keep 8 legs coordinated,,I have trouble with only 2. What form of Octopus does Dan have, Live, Art, Stuffed?Calamari?? :)
Thanks everyone.

ben that is beautiful work i really dig this one

B

Thanks Marcus, I am gonna have a hard time letting this one go!
Heres an update from today. Both earz done and the back of his head started.

Some of my Clean work area!

J

OHHH YEAHHH. The Easter Island figures on the back are great.

JP

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Dec 8, 2006 5:23 PM

Ben,

I am freaking out over here. Just back from Daytona, and freaking out. Wow, I know you said you were gonna do a birdman or two, but this looks great! I likee, BIGTIME!

-Gman

incredible details, ben! this piece just gets better and better.

Oh my Gawd! Just when you think it cant get any better, there appears colour in those eyes * the ears take on a life of their own! * the occy now moves & sings!! * and now birdmen mock us from the back!!! I cant take it anymore - * sob * what are you doing to us??!!

Please hurry up & finish so I can die! You know I jest; but that really is one of those 'to die for' pieces.

*I bet Gman knows exactly where He's going to be displayed?!
(I think I would be making a wee trolley so he could come everywhere with me!) :lol:

Magic work Ben!

Tama :)

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Dec 8, 2006 7:38 PM

Yeah....Gman has the perfect spot for him. Ohhhhh yeahhhhh!!!!!

B

Thanks JP, Figured I may as well do him up right.
GMAN, Thanks, You know I just can't do "A BirdMan or two". I Gotta fix'em up good!
Kingsey, Thanks, though I can Finally see the ending coming soon.
Tama, I Didn't Mean to do ALl Those things I Promise, they just Happened. I Think the Ancients have had a Hand in thisbecause it as far past my ability, so what you are seeing is Not My work, thay're just using my tools thatz all. It is one of those sessions whereit won't let me have control.
GMAN, Yes he knows Exactly where he will be residing. Thanx Gman.
Thanks again to everyone for the kind words and props.

:tiki: BenZ,

I agree with Tama, "OMG!" :o

ME thinks this buggah is soooo realistic and richly detailed, that HE will just get up and walk away WHENEVER 'HE' dang well feels like it?!!
Amazing work and always a privileged pleasure to view! :D

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

Gheeeez...pretty darned fantastic...can hardly wait to see the finished product. This one might actually peak my interest in learning to carve. Love the Octi!!!

C

...What can I say... maybe... WoOWWW!...
...Incredible work! Loving it! Octopus, ears, back tattoo, Mouth,etc....!!! Thanks Ben!!!

B

Oh
MY

G O D

I don't have the words to describe what I've seen !
It's fantastic
I love the "surprises" in his back.

Ben

M
McTiki posted on Sat, Dec 9, 2006 4:53 PM

GMAN! What did you expect? Ben hasn't shipped him yet. You sir, are Tiki Central Ohana! Just like the many here that stay in touch. There's a thread that infers that the site is in need of an infusion...to kick it up a notch... The carvers here don't feel that this is necessary, and here's why..I'm utterly stoked for you Brother!!!

enjoy

Mahaloz

McTiki

[ Edited by: McTiki 2006-12-09 16:57 ]

B

Thanks Travelin'J, I think you're right. I could Swear he was on a Different bench last night when I took more pictures and now he has a Hat on and I don't remember That Hat. Thanks.
VampiressRN, Dig out the tools, you need to be carving. Once the tiki bug bites, you are hooked for life. Thanks for the kind words.
Clarita, Thanks for the comps and props and and and just THANKS.
Thanks Benella, thought you would like the Surprise!
McTiki Thanks for the kind words and Also for helping keep this forum hopping busy. There is something about this "Creating" Forum that is not lagging behind and You sir are a big part of it as are All the peeps here that create and reply to these posts every day. I'm happy and proud to be a member of our Tiki Central and I'm sure you all are too.
HappyHappyhappy.
More updates later
Now if I can only find that little bugger- - -

Holy shit Ben! Anything I could say has been said a million times already. I'm proud to even know you!

You know, [cough] I've been ill recently, [cough] and a Benzart Moai, [cough] just like that one, [cough] might be just the thing, [cough] to raise my spirits.

[cough] Is it cold in here to you too? [cough]

B

Hey finky, Sorry yopu are still, must have been the Hospital food, that will make anyone ill. Thanks for the props and if you want this guy, you're gonna have to fight off GMAN and his pighammer cause he was next on the list and claimed it right away...
Looks like I'm gonna have to carve a few more of these guyz!
Thanks Finky, Feel Better

T

Hey Big Ben

So how much is left on this guy, I got to go back and rereread everything with a cup of tea(KEY). Is the head pretty much staying the way it is? And is the stain picked out, I kinda like the sandtype color he is now, but just when I think I like it one way, you show me to like it another.

Well, I started one hour into my little porject so far. Even when I know what I'm doing, I am still making it all up as I go. Still nothing to show, so I'll keep it under wraps. Maybe tonight, something. P.s. this will be sorta like a Coontiki experience for me.

B

Thanks teaKey, Not much left to do on this guy. The face is finished but for final sanding. Need to finish the fingers and penis. I love the natural color which will darken with the poly. The back is almost done needing clean-up and sanding then the poly with no stain. Start heating the teapot! Thanks

B

Heres the update from today. Thanks to TikiGap, with Mike and Tim for the visit on the way home from Miami yeaterday, hope you all made it home OK.

fantastic work, ben. i think he'd look better in a fez though! :D

T

Sweeeeet! That big lens is nice! I'm gonna hafta get me one too!

That coon tiki hat!...

We made it home ok at 0630. I could not believe the traffic (lack of) in South Carolina! 90 mph and high beams on - I-95 was totally empty of everything for 20+ miles - not even one other car (no deer too).

Then we got to DC - 15 hours later - and it took more than an hour to get thru that crap at 495 and 95 5 or 10 mph - just a couple of miles.

BTW: Randy and Tim say hey!

Thanks for the log man! I have some pictures to put up here... just gotta sleep first!

Tikigap out for a while - gotta slleeeeeppppp.....

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-12-11 14:57 ]

B

Thanks Bullet, A Fez would surely liven him up just a tad. Maybe the next one.
TGap, Thanks for letting me know. I Apologize to Randy for my calling him Mike(?)Don't know where that came from.

C

Ben your work is mind bending,radical octoman!

The back is looking fantastic Ben. I just cry all of the time now... :cry:

TTT

Ben - just when I think you've done your best work ever, you do another one! this Moai is AWESOME - such perfect detail and shape. That octopus necklace is the cats meow too. the coontiki hat and sunglasses need to stay, gives the moai some country 'tude! (you should send thor that picture for inspiration on his country tiki painiting, I bet he'll laugh his arse off too!) Top work ben!

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Dec 12, 2006 4:50 AM

Very, very nice Ben. I really like where you are taking him now. That's a mess of wood you had to remove to do those birdmen and paddles. Your effort and extra push are much appreciated. I think you already know how much this piece will be loved by Dr. Mrs. Gman and me.

B

Thanks Capotiki, Love the props.
Tama the tearful, Sorry you are shedding so many tears but I'm glad you are liking this guy. Between Gman drooling over your stuff and you crying over mine I think we have the makings of a good song here somewhere,,Anybody want to start it off?
Thanks Tama!
Thanks too Poly, I appreciate the Kind words. I Promise I am gonna be finished with this guy soon and we can start all over again.
GMAN, Yes I have a small Idea how much you and the Dr will love this guy. Thanks for the Continued support even though it is hard with all the drool to navigate thru from Tama's stuff.
Didn't do much yesterday but work on a hand.

dang it ben, this one just keeps getting cooler all the time. I really love the elongated
thumbs, I think I'm gonna have to travel to Florida just to steal this one from the
boar hunter. On second thought, I better not mess with a guy who stalks giant pigs.
This is the Moai of all Moais.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1495 replies