Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Benzart 's, Last, most recent thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,495 replies

wow....that is just amazing. you get it so clean too. MAN that is awsome.
incredible stuff.

H
hewey posted on Fri, Jan 26, 2007 5:17 PM

love the bamboo/bone look headdress

B

Ben, Man you must have been born with a chisel in your hand and saw dust in your veins...stunning work...simply stunning!

J

Nice. I've saved all these pictures to study after school.

JP

BenZ, that is one SICK Lono -- Lotta mana traveling up and down that vertebral column!

Sick SICK Sick!

T

Benzart, this is one cool Lono.
I really like how precise your cuts are.
Very nice.

B

Thanks for posting more pictures of the big Lono. It's one of the coolest damn Tikis I've ever seen.

I'm watching you.

zoinks Benz!
That Lono is HUGE! Just put me down for a big DITTO on all the past few page's comments!
How long do your carving jags/sessions go? 8-10 hours? Do you work an hour,nap for an hour, then work for an hour again? Or do you just power thru that wood til your body tells you "whoa!"? You are truly one top-notch fine arteest,man! :)

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jan 30, 2007 4:14 PM

Benzo,

Man is he looking good! Is it cold in the garage? :D It's bloody cold over here! I hope you are able to find some time to work and update us before the weekend. I missed this last update in the blurr of last week. Sweet stuff. The spinal headdress is wacked!

-Gman

BenZo boney Lono-loney, spinal cracker headress...Ooooh ahhhh WHODAT dare, the witchdoctor...Ooo Eeee Ooo Ahhh Ahhh!!! :o

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jan 30, 2007 7:20 PM

Please :D

B

Duddy, where you been? nice to see you, Welcome and Thanks for the props, I could use'em.

Hewey, Thanks for the comps. Iad I HATE Carvin bone too, it stinks so bad you know.

Babalu, I used to wonder why peeps were getting splinters after shaking my hand, then I figured it out one day when I cut myself really bad.!Thanks,

JP, Thanks, I hope that Along with saving them, you are looking at them and studying them Thanks.

Sneeky, You'd pretty sick too if ou had your spine skinned, stripped and placed on some witchdoctors headdress for all to see. look and learn!!! Thanks

Thanks TikiDav, i appreciate the kind words
LLTiki, Thanks, my carving "jags" usually last about 4 hours , 5 if I Really get jacked up. Any more then that and I cant carve for a couple daze.

GMAN, It's too cold in mygarage to do ANYTHING, Have and I don't have longjohns to keep me warm either,. Dam cold sucks.
YEah, Travellin Jonez thet there whitch Doctor done stole some poor bloke's spine
and stuck it up on his headdress or all to see, the spineless one's gotta go around now with Everyone knowing he has no backbone, no go behave yourself and thanks for the props
GMAN, Sure,

Thanks again everyone, hopefully it will warm up a bit tomorrow.......

That Moai was just unbelievably beautiful....the color and texture of the wood only came to life after your magic touch. The big guy is just awesome too....nobody does it like you do. I agree with Babalu...."you must have been born with a chisel in your hand and saw dust in your veins." Such a pleasure looking at your work during the transformation into true art. :)

MD

Beautiful Ben. No, not you, the Lono.....well, you are very handsome but still.......

On 2007-01-31 11:36, Mr. Dale wrote:
Beautiful Ben. No, not you, the Lono.....well, you are very handsome but still.......

Mr. Dale,

I'm guessing this is why you are always trying to give me cookies??

Oh. And BenzArt, Lono is Arrrrsome as anything and everything you do!!

You got to post that story you emailed me bout trippin on the log!!! Made me feel mush bettah!

T

This is a particularly nice piece. It's been around a while, no, Ben? Some day I'd like to hear the story behind this one. Maybe June I'll be in the tikihood. It's a beaut.

GAP out.

B

One for the Old Man" Huh, OK I See how it is, well, I Guess I AM Pretty old, But Not 62 yet. Paybacks are fun though!Here are a few updates from today. I couldn't work but a few hours(that age thing again) today but I did more n the Spine thing and more on the Moai for Tama, though I may keep him a secret for awhile longer. I have not figured out how to carve the Hei-tiki on his throat yet.. He is out of mahogany and is about 12 inches or 30 Centimeters tall, unless I plant him on a base.
Here are some Pic's

J

Ooh, lots of nice booty shots! The rest of him is looking pretty sweet too! :wink:
Also lovin' the moai!

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Feb 1, 2007 5:16 AM

Oooooohhhh Moai!!!!! Happy Happy!!!

Nice butt on that Lono....does he work out?

-Gman

B

Thanks Jen, those Pix were for You!
GMAN, Of COURSE He works out, How eLSE could he get that tight butt and that perfect physique? does he work out, You should SEE Him!

C

Go Lono Go!! I have so much to learn from you, you never stop working... Congrats and greetings!

B

:wink: :wink: :wink:

[ Edited by: benella 2007-02-01 14:33 ]

B
Bete posted on Thu, Feb 1, 2007 3:04 PM

Looking GREAT!!

B
Bete posted on Fri, Feb 2, 2007 11:16 AM

Ben, you're getting to be so famous!!! I just saw the "Vicious" and "Malicious" tiki mug designs on http://www.tikifarm.com/
Direct link at:
http://www.tikifarm.com/tiki_mugs_p1.htm

B

Clarita, Thanks and Welcome back, Glad to have you here.
Thanks Ben and Bete.
Yes, Vicious and malicious will be available Sooon.
Here are updates on the Maori and the Boney Lono

B
Bete posted on Fri, Feb 2, 2007 1:14 PM

WOW! Looking GREAT!

Your guys have such life Benz. So animated yet intense. I love these guys.

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Feb 2, 2007 4:24 PM

Seriously sick wurx. Ben that Moai has already taken on such personality. He's beautiful. And that Lono....I don't have the words to describe how neat and full of greatness he is. Any praise would fall far short. Would you settle for "man, I really like what you are doing with him"??

-Gman

Arrghhh! BEN!! I am floored!!! Would you believe I have missed this until just now!??

*It is a few moments after midnight, I have just returned from a good freinds' wedding (another Great/original/prize-winning stone carver -not a tiki-type, but if you saw his work you'd forgive him). Caught up with Paipo at the function & before things got too messy (pics to follow Paip/pipe..? gulp!) he imparted the news; "your Moai is started; its been posted!!"
Sober-driver & lovely assistant Victoria got me home in one piece & here I am! (still swigging on the bottle of red I swiped as we walked off, teehee - TTTerrible!)

BEN! I LOVE HIM!! Got your PM; THIS IS THE ONE!! Bless you...

*It feels kind of strange to be on the receiving end of commissioning or 'ordering' a piece of art, from any kind of artist/craftsperson, let alone a man of your talent or demand Sir. For all of the many hundreds of small "artworks" I have created and sold or imparted, I have never really had the means to be much of a buyer (Vic would disagree!) -I have my collection of tiki-kitch but only a few pieces of any real substance; these I treasure. It is among these that this piece will rank. My son will inherit this. I thank you.

Take... your... time... I will enjoy every moment! A zillion pictures please! :D :D :D

*Gman: colon :D :D :D colon

Happeeeeeee! Tama :D

B

Thanks Again Bete, Getting Closer...

Thanks Surfintiki, 'Preciate the props. I try to make them look different and not straight and rigid, glad to see it working.

GMan Thank you too, Yes I'll settle for that. I Know how hard it is to come up with something different to say about an artists work, It Just Ain't easy. Speaking of which,,, what about your works,, Haven't seen much recently and I know you need a new back, but in the Mean time WE NEED our GMAN FIX and it has been Slim pickins here recently and We're Hurtin Doc. Give it to us
Thanks for your kind words, sorry I got carried away again. :) :) :)

And Tama, What can I say after such a speech s that, it'll take me a minnit to clear my eyes. I will take some time because i Hafta finish Betes lono one of these days.
I'm glad you like this guy because I certainly do. In one of his pictures he reminds my of the baby floating out in space from the 2001 Space Odyssey, if only I had made him sucking on his thumb.Yes I will post a few extra pictures if I can remember. Meanwhile, I'll be checking with your son in about 50 years to make sure you didn't change your mind and take it with you lol :) :) :)

TD

benz man those are spactacular! the lono is looking AMAZING and that new feller shows so much skill too! love how you did the lips on him. WOW i cant wait for updates.
keep them commin for sure

BD, wassup homey? Looking good!

J

I missed this update. That lono is something else. I really enjoy your big artworks and creations. You keep going long after most of us would stop.

JP

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Feb 5, 2007 1:48 PM

Haha, Tama almost left the party straight away when I told him he'd missed the first moai pics! Sweet shots Ben, I'm always amazed with how far you can push whatever medium and style you are working with.

B

Thanks TikiDuddy, I think both guys are coming along nicely. The lono is on the home stretch and the Moai is in the early stages. No carving today in the freezing 60 degree weather. ( I know 60 is like a Heat wave to you!!) I Live here in Paradise so I won't have to freeze LOL.

Hey it's thechikitiki,Nice of you to visit the Zart's page, I'm up to No good as usual, Thanks for stopping by and dropping off the comps :) :):)

Hey Johnny, Thanks, Appreciate the kind words. See what happens when you znooze?? I have actually been snoozing too much myself here recently, what with the freezes we are having and all. Thanks again.

Hey Paipo, yeah, thats what Tama said. Good thing he wasn't driving or I'm sure he would have gottten speeding tickets or Other kinds of citations. Who is this "Assistant he has there, someone who helps him at work or drives him around???None of My business but I AM Nozy Ha Ha.
Thanks for the comps, I don't do much different that you or other carvers but maybe just get carried away more. I have an Unfair advantage in that I don't do this for a job or for a living like I used to, so I tell myself that it's OK to take as much time as I want on any piece I'm working on. Some pieces go a lot faaster, depends on the piece and how it bites me. Then there are the ancients that do stuff while I'm not awake and I have to go finish it up to match what they did. It's a Pain sometimeslike this Lono. Those guyz have had a ball teasing me with him. doing things that I do Not know how to do, then they leave it for me to fix and finish, Irrrevrent little bad boys they are.

Looks like I have to do a pair of dancing figures for a wedding cake topper. I'm a sucker for weddings, believing a couple deserves to get the best send-of possible and all that stuff, So I will be starting some Jade here soon!
:) :) :) (HappyHappyHappy)

hi ben i hope you are well curly lono is looking awesome i love the big ones take care

Tiki Beat by Marcus
http://www.tikibeat.com.au

[ Edited by: tiki beat by marcus thorn 2007-02-05 18:24 ]

hey there Ben- those guys are looking too cool. do you keep track of hours on large-scale work like mr lono there? just curious. i hate trying to remember, myself. that moai has a special effect, it's casting mojo already. i agree with Duddy -the mouth is right-on.
i hope it gets warmer tomorrow. today sucked.

B

Thanks Marcus, and I'm feeling OK at the moment. I really enjoy doing the bigger ones because after doing the small guys, it seems you can get SO Much More detail on a piece than before.
Thanks again.
Ben

T

Yo Benz - it's really lookin good - what an heirloom TTT's son will get.

It's really cool to see you guys "trading" art. Artists Art for Artists, if you will.

Great work as usual.

tg

B

Amazing work.
Your pix are now very old :wink:
I can't see any resemblance between your Lono and mine :o
I won't be surprised to learn that this masterpiece is already sold !

Benjamin.

we all live in a yellow submarine (yellow submarine, yellow submarine).

[ Edited by: benella 2007-02-07 07:34 ]

I'm speechless Ben!
Your Lono is absolutely incredible! The motif in the helwet tops it off perfectly! What an oustanding piece of artistic genius! Can't wait to see him finished! You go Ben!

B

Thanks Tgap, Ben and Little LT, I appreciate your kind words. Bete will be getting this Lono when its done.

I May have to start carving more Jade and stone sooner than I wanted to. It seems the last chest Xray showed major Bad I forget the big bad word they used!) changes and they asked if I was a heavy smoker but I haven't smoked for 18 years, but I guess I Do inhale a Lot of saudust. I'm bad about not wearing a mask and I really need to. Anyway I have really been having a lot of difficulty recently as you should notice from my lack of normal output. Hopefully they can fix it up and I'll be a good boy from now on and use the dust sucking machine I have and wear the mask that is still new!

Holy Crap Benz! You MUST wear that stuff...you're our mentor...ahhhh we can't have you not carving wood anymore!! ahhhhhhhh. :o
:o :o :o :o :o

B
Bete posted on Thu, Feb 8, 2007 10:22 AM

Ben, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE take care of yourself!

Ditto! Benz, get better and tke care of yourself, carve tikis, not your bronchi, your the MaN, your worth taking good care of!

THE SAME GOES FOR STONE CARVING BEN!!! Please take care of yourself.

Tama :)

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Feb 8, 2007 11:49 AM

I'm guilty of this too (mask slackness), but now I have a little one to look after I have decided to be very serious about my safety when working. Your best is yet to come I feel, so please take it easy until you're better, and when you do - wear that mask! And yes, the stone is no kinder to your airways - jade dust causes silicosis (I think) from memory.

On 2007-02-08 11:49, Paipo wrote:

• jade dust causes silicosis (I think) from memory.

*And/or asbestosis echos my memory...

T :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1495 replies