Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Benzart 's, Last, most recent thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,495 replies

B

HEy Gman, thanksbut I think he has a home with a "Listee" who has been waiting for quite awhile , as Most of you have been. Go Further? I don't know, I think I'm just getting warmed up. I have to maintain this "UnAmbiguous Space Monkey Look"
Thanks C'Al, I Needed that.Actually not long after the Trop job I quit carving until O4 so I was still a nobody until TC decided I was famous for something, don't know what yet. I Still like the Space monkey bit though. I have Always loved that pic of you and the MAori!
Buzzy, keep on lookin, Thanks for the props and How come you aren't carving?? I don't want to take you away from your artistic endeavours now, so times up,,go back to work!
Kingstiedye,
your Pooch guy is only about 45 minutes from me so maybe I'll go check him out. I love the picture he did for you, I think HE may be the Space Monkey here. I'll let you know, Thanks.

H
hewey posted on Fri, Jul 14, 2006 6:30 PM

Looks good man! but you already know that...

H
harro posted on Fri, Jul 14, 2006 8:36 PM

Hi Benz,
I have been away for a while, but it is nice to see that nothing has changed with the quality and constant "WOW" factor with each piece you create!! it is great to see and is very inspirational for the rest of us. I, like most of the others, are also intrigued with what tattoo design you will choose...
take it easy,
harro.

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Jul 14, 2006 8:40 PM

I wouldn't want one of these in my house for fear the tangata whenua would break down my door asking for their ancestors remains back. These are so lifelike they're scary! You have a real gift for anatomy Benz.

[ Edited by: Paipo 2006-07-14 20:41 ]

Happy Birthday Benzart! And thank you for all your help and inspiration, too!

TG

Ben, is today your birthday???? From what I have been reading it is. If so, We want to wish you a life of happiness for your birthday. There are not many people in this world that come as close as you do as far as kindness goes that I know of.

You are a real gentleman. Thank you for being the person you are.

G.& T.

B

Mahalos to All for all the Birthday wishes, you guyz are great. 61 is not a big deal any more.
Hewey, thanks, but Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and I didn't know how You felt about it until yuo told us,,Thanks :)
Harro, Thanks, I am happy you enjoy my stuff. I Too am intrigued by what moko design comes out of each face. It's not like I "Choose" one, I just start off with a few lines and let it roll to wherever it is going next. I really try to make them all look different and original. I usually slide in a few Non Moko typeshapes just so a quick glance will tell it has not been Copied. I feel I take artistic liberties enough just carving a Moko Looking Tattoo, because being a Non Maori, it is Impossible for me to create or Re-create Any Moko. Anyway I love the magical trip around the face and the wonder of where it will stop and how it will look and fit together.
Paipo my transplanted friend, you know of which I speak, Now you say I need to fear these tangata whenau for they may be breaking down my door looking for their ancestors? If they tell me who they are I can carve a close copy so they can mourne in peace.Thanks Paipo .
Freddimon, thanksgoe both ways here,
TikiGee, yes, whats left of the day was my birthday whoop-de-do, 61, how old are you. Thanks for all the extra wishes and stuff, you guyz are really truely great friends, thanx and quit callin me names..gentl----kind-----???right,,not
Thanks and good night G.&T.
HappyHappyHappy

B

[ Edited by: Benzart 2006-07-16 05:18 ]

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Jul 15, 2006 8:15 PM

I didn't realise it was your birthday - here's to many more and sharing your art and skills with us for years to come. If I wasn't so hung over I'd raise a glass to you!

well happy birthday! your work is an amazing inspiration. just so much talent. good work on everything.

B
Bete posted on Sun, Jul 16, 2006 2:18 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BEN!
On a side note, the last two pages of this thread are great, with cool photos, art and posts! The forums here move so fast, so much happens in two days around here!

B

Thanks Paipo and Duddy for the b-day cheer, Much appreciated and Bete, thanks for te kind words. I think the next one I start back on might be your favorite, not sure..
Tomorrow I will start putting hurricane shutters up. I will install 1 window and carve the rest of the day until I wear out and go on around the house. After I get them all done Sherry will buy me a new digicam,,,Can't wait... Anyone want to buy an old Nikon coolPix 950 with Wide angle lens? PM Me. It winn probably be avail within 30 dayz.

B
Bete posted on Sun, Jul 16, 2006 8:39 PM

You said you're putting up hurricane shutters? Is there a hurricane brewing? Or are you just preparing for the season? Did you have a good birthday?

B

Yes good b-day and No, No storm, just Installing them

H

Happy birthday buddy! :) :) :)

J

Happy BirthDay! The last pendant was terrific as usual.
JP

Hey Benzart,

Let me begin by saying that I have been a fan of your carving as a lurker of your many carving threads. Your detail and imagination is astounding! I have been procrastinating regarding inquiring about the infamous "list" that you have running to actually obtain some of your magnificent work? So what are the details - how does a mere tiki mortal like myself get added to your prestigious list!!!

I want in.

Michael G

M

Thats sportin some mean Tapu! Nice Ben

B

Hewey and JohnP, thanks for the b-day wishes and props.
smgleason47, Thanks for finally coming on board, Welcome, We're glad to have you Thanks for the props and you are now on the list at about #46. It's just that easy. The hard part is the wait, but I promise to speed it up a Lot!
McTiki, thanks for the comps too.
Here are a couple updatesone on the big Mahogany lono and the other on the maori pendant.

Why, What is that he is Sitting On? Wow, it is the wooden sail of (I Think) a Witco Sailing Ship?

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jul 18, 2006 5:06 PM

Benz,

I've been waiting for you to get back to that "hog-log" I hope you'll be posting regular progress of it now? Where on earth did you find that sailing ship? Interesting piece.

-Gman

B

It has been hanging in the downstairs room at the carving club I go to. It has been there so long that noone new where it came from. They thought some old carver made it years ago but when I expressed interest they told me to "Put the dang thing in your truck and get it outta here" so I obliged!

hey i like that pendant. good work
that ship is also insainly cool. keep the pictures comming.

B

Thanks Duddy, I think I'll sell the ship and keep the pendant. I can truthfully say, "My Ship came in". Come to think about it, I'll sell the pendant too!

hey how much you selling them for?

B
Bete posted on Wed, Jul 19, 2006 4:41 PM

That pendant should be wild (I can tell from the detail of the lines). That ship is quite an interesting piece too, I never saw anything like that before.

B

HEy Duddy, thanks. The pendant will go for $75 and the ship, I'm not sure. I traded an old carving for it but since it has been added to (the "Oceanblue" is not original.) I will probably let it go for $100 plus shipping unless someone wants to get it at Hukilau.
Thanks Bete. When Svens (Bigbrotiki) new book comes out later this year, you will get to see all of the Witco stuff between the covers. It's typical Witco except the Water paint.
Thanks.

B

Check out my Mug announcement over in Marketplace if you have time.

H
harro posted on Wed, Jul 19, 2006 8:34 PM

awesome Mugs Ben! totally identifiable as the one and only unique Benzart style.

and of course the carvings as always still looking great:)

just wondering Ben did my name ever get put on the list when i expressed interest a while back? if not, can you add it to the end now please?

and happy belated birthday too!

B

Harro, Thanks for the comps. Yes your name did make it to the top of page 2 so it's not so bad, Thanks for the B-day wishes, Glad you like the mugs

B

No updates today as all I did was install hurricane shutters like yesterday.
One more day and they will all be DONE

Might want to think about hitting that lawn next...

B

Yes I did the back today and tomorrow the front! You don't miss much do yoi?

Yo Benzo!

Those Shutters Rock!!

How'd you carve them??

T

On 2006-07-20 20:02, RevBambooBen wrote:
Yo Benzo!

Those Shutters Rock!!

How'd you carve them??

Man! You're brutal!

B

Ben, I carved them 1 at a time and it was Eazy, I had a tiki helping me. He'd bite down on the metal and I'd pull it out of his mouth and cut it off at the proper length. I'll rent him out if you need shutterz for your windows. Mahalo
Thanks TGap, I appreciate you sticking up for my shutterz.

B
Bete posted on Fri, Jul 21, 2006 3:32 PM

WOW, first a crack about the lawn, then a crack about the shutters, I guess that's what happens when Ben stops carving for a day to get caught up on his projects around the house, ha, ha, it's a tough crowd. You all are too funny.

B

eah, can't a guy do his Honey-doos?. Finished the shutters today, tomorrow the doc's get their turn with me most of the day. So No carving tomorrow. Doc said 41 was a bit too low for my Iron countand he wants to find out why. I could have told him if he asked, I don't take vitimins including iron, no big deal!

K

Benz your carvings are looking... well perfect as usual. So I think it is time to work on you painting skilz and fix that poor Witco boat :) cool find
Did you try the wood yet?

B

Thanks guyz, Today I am back to carving!
Thanks Keigs. I haven't figured out what to do to the boat! Tried the wood? I don't understand? Explain, because if i go and take a bite out of it, I would be "Trying" it and I might get sick from it. It's defenitely real wood.

B

Here is todays progress shot with a new camera Nikon D-50 but I need a macro lens.

Thats it for today. Maybe some more tomorrow if I feel like it maybe not . .

Looks great as always Ben. I am jealous you got D50 , I have been pondering getting a new camera for some time now.

great to see Benzart wood chips again...a very comforting sight. Even your chips
look a lot better than ours.....can't wait to see more. Now listen to a little
Ravi Shankar and dig in!

K

Wow nice! I meant did you try the wood I sent you that redish no name wood?

Really nice work Ben.

Looks exactly like the hard ass piece of wood I'm currently carving.

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jul 27, 2006 5:29 AM

I was gonna have a go at you, but you posted some carving progress so Ive no choice but to let this slide. But let it be known that Im watching you, and as long as Im on watch there'll be no slacking off...

Nice pics - I love these ones with the funky headresses :)

B

Rodeo, Thanks, I have beenneeding another camera for a long time. My coolpix 950 has a loose battery hinge which makes it shut off just when you don't need it. Anyone want a good deal on it? I have been looking at the D-50 for awhile and so i get it Just as Nikon is announcing a new 10MP camera and they have this 20 day countdown timer going so you won't know for 20 days what it will be. My guess is an update to the d70/70s. But I love the d50.
Conga, Yes, the chips were a nice site, but my chips are no different from yours or anyone elses,, However, I Might be willing to part with a small bag of them IF the price were right?? Thanks Conga.
Keigs, Thanks. I Have cut a chunk off for a pendant, but won't start anything new until these pieces I have started are done. It is Really a Tight grained wood though, The bandsaw didn't like it a bit. I will keep you posted though.
Surfer, thanks, actually the Mahogany is a great carving wood. The only issue with this piece is being Fla Mahogany, it has a very wayward grain that goes in different directions everywhere so one must be on ones toes or the grain change will Bite you.
Hewey, Yes sir, thanks for the warning. I guess I just slid in under the wire in the nick of time. I'll be better I promise. This headdress will drive me crazy, What was I Thinking? I must Not have been at all.
Well, time to get back to workkkkkkk.

M

Whoa! he's a nice one Ben.

H
harro posted on Thu, Jul 27, 2006 8:04 AM

great stuff Ben, looks like a damn hard piece of wood there though!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1495 replies